Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I can't think of any other game that isn't an MMO that locks classes to races. So saying it removes the "RPG origins" makes absolutely no sense to me.
    only one i can think of is some of the korean MMOs like Tera but then again they are absolute garbage P2W games

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    Speak for yourself. Despite the continuing decline of the lore, it's still the only thing keeping me engaged enough to keep an eye on wow occasionally. The lore matters and it also determines a lot of gameplay changes.

So, you can kindly FO with that BS argument. It doesn't work with me or anyone who has half a brain to know that.

Lore matters. And OP is a bad idea. Period.
    Lore USED TO matter. BfA and Shadowlands has proved that there's no point in following the lore anymore because they'll just make insane changes that invalidates the previous lore.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Fictional lore isn't immutable, though. It can change. It DOES change, all the time. It's silly to treat things like they're some kind of natural law that cannot be changed - they're all made up, and they all change, some for good reasons some for bad.

If anything is stupid it's the idea of "sorry you're the wrong race pal, don't care that you're willing to dedicate your life to a cause or philosophy associated with a particular class, guess you JUST SHOULDA BEEN BORN DIFFERENT".

This is especially egregious for something like e.g. paladins, which are all about conviction and character. The thought of them turning away a sincere applicant just because they're the wrong race seems more incongruous with the "lore" to me than acceptance would be.
    There was a discussion earlier about the vibe some races have and what they specialize in. For example, blood elves have the mages, farstriders and blood knight. Night elves have the druids, priest hoods etc.

There wasnt much interest in shoehorning blood elf shamans or druids just cus of some niche small group who wants it. Anyway the point I guess, was that there are very clear forces that repressent those races. Just how night elves have druids and nightborne not.

I mean personally I think that is pretty cool that there is some differences. I am not against some new options. But I though the discussion was not to bad and I understand where its coming from.

I do think more class options open up tho, night elf paladin for example. I dont think they will open up everything instantly.

Give me panda-druids and I will come back to next expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    No, and there´s another thread about the exact same topic.
    The game should roll back many of the stupid changes it has done over the years and stick to the lore.

- - - Updated - - -

You are clueless. Paladins are not warrior or priests, they are their very own thing.
    Learn the lore, then talk about it.
    Paladins are essentially warriors who are proficient in the Light who chose to charge into battle instead of hurling spells across the battlefield. There is literally nothing in lore that says paladins aren't warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Oo lord lol that just hilarious tho I see what you mean.. but idk man.
    Although one Pandaren dream about being a Demon Hunter, Blizzard literally changed the Pandaren eye color from green to yellow to not offend the chinese since it is a sign of demonic possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuel View Post
    Give me panda-druids and I will come back to next expansion!
    They do have the August Celestials. So, that's completely possible. Not to mention their love for nature.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Also it wasn't warlocks that chases the draenie for 13,000 years fyi, it was the burning legion.
    Kil'jaeden sent many scouts, including Talgath, the one who found him, who was notably an eredar. It's honestly amazing how much you're underselling their racial trauma with man'ari and demons.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    Worgen I aaaaalmost understand cause claws but I still don't care. Goblins however never made any sense why they can't be monks but shaman is a-ok. If goblins can't "find serenity" or whatever their reason was you're telling me that an undead can? C'mooooooon.
    That hasn't stopped other races from mastering their respective classes. In fact, monks still carry weapons which can be used in combat. Worgen can swing weapons around just fine without worrying about their claws.

However a few expansions ago, monk weapons were changed to be stat sticks since they hit with punches and kicks now. But that shouldn't really restrict any race from unarmed fighting.

Goblins on the other hand, have zero reasons to not become monks whatsoever.
    Last edited by onesBronson; 2022-04-07 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Imagine you're sitting at table playing D&D with your friends, and your DM insists that you can't be a Goblin Paladin, and just whines "because they caaaan't!" over and over and over again. You'd wanna slap em.
    Any DM needing to whine when he hands down a decree has it wrong. It's their story, their world, their decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The Grimtotem have tauren rogues. And satyr also have rogues so you can't make the argument that they're too large or too noisy with their hooves. They simply disapprove of the tactics and lifestyle, same as draenei.
    Satyrs were born as elves. It's not the hooves alone that deny tauren rogues; their culture does not have a place for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Satyrs were born as elves. It's not the hooves alone that deny tauren rogues; their culture does not have a place for them.
    But, Grimtotem do.
    So, when they're added, you'll have Tauren Rogues.

Lore USED TO matter. BfA and Shadowlands has proved that there's no point in following the lore anymore because they'll just make insane changes that invalidates the previous lore.
    The fact that the game has been shitted up with bad lore decisions isn't a good argument to make another even more terrible lore decision to continue ruining the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Paladins are essentially warriors who are proficient in the Light who chose to charge into battle instead of hurling spells across the battlefield. There is literally nothing in lore that says paladins aren't warriors.
    Paladins come from all walks of life, but the initial group was mainly warriors. The point of paladins has never been their original martial prowess, but their faith.
    They differ greatly from priests in WoW lore, where priests is a catchall for faith leader, a Paladin is specifically a weapon of light.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    But, Grimtotem do.
    So, when they're added, you'll have Tauren Rogues.
    Last I looked the Grimtotem were cast out of Thunder Bluff and are at war with the other Tauren. So, they are not part of the community player characters come from.

Just unlocking all of them at once without any explanation is a bad idea, because unlike D&D, we are not talking about making an exception (you get to be the ONE dwarf mage, because you wrote down a believable backstory. Everyone else you meet in this adventure will still follow the rules making the world believable). We are talking about breaking established rules for everyone at once (there will now suddendly be hundreds of tauren rouges around you, we don't know why). That's terrible for world building.

Slowly unlocking all race/class combination by introducing more and more stories about how the horde and alliance races are starting to integrate on the other hand, ist a great idea. We live in a world where a bunch of seperate races with their own cultures decided to form two mega empires. If you are interested in world building you SHOULD show us how that effects those races.

The world feels way to static to be believable at the moment. Getting a small questchain showing the founding of the first rogue hive under Thunderbluff or how some humans are teaching the night elves light magic while they are refugees in Stormwind (and permanently adding some buildings to those cities where the stories take place) would make the world feel more alive, give us something to do AND give us more freedom. Win Win for everyone.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    The fact that the game has been shitted up with bad lore decisions isn't a good argument to make another even more terrible lore decision to continue ruining the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Paladins come from all walks of life, but the initial group was mainly warriors. The point of paladins has never been their original martial prowess, but their faith.
    They differ greatly from priests in WoW lore, where priests is a catchall for faith leader, a Paladin is specifically a weapon of light.
    Give me one actually good reason how getting rid of class restrictions is a terrible lore decision. Allowing every race to be every class isn't going to ruin the game. That's such an overdramatic thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Lore should never be the reason any gameplay decisions are made
    Do you actually have an argument to support this claim or is it just how you feel?

Give me one actually good reason how getting rid of class restrictions is a terrible lore decision. Allowing every race to be every class isn't going to ruin the game. That's such an overdramatic thing to say.
    In another post, I mentioned Void Elf Paladins, but then I just realized they can be Priests, so I don't even know anymore. I assumed no one could wield both the Void and Light at the same time, but I'm apparently wrong.

I mean there is still a very good reason to lock certain classes behind races.

It'd be a shit ton of work to add unique forms for every race/class combination of Druid. Something which I can't see them doing any time soon. It's just a monumental waste of resources to tackle every possible Race's Bear, Cat, Moonkin, and 3x Travel forms. Having certain races being limited is what allows customization like unique Druid forms to exist.

We should keep it for the sake of allowing more customization, less homogenization. Even if I don't agree with the lore limiting race/class combos, there are certain races that really benefit from being limited, like Druids and Demon Hunter having top tier customizations for their races, and not just something super generic or homogenized slapped onto every race.

The only way I would be okay with opening the flood gates is if Blizzard goes out of their way to add more customization back to class/race comboes. But that's just way too much work to ever consider a reality. Perhaps if they started slowly, like Heritage Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Last I looked the Grimtotem were cast out of Thunder Bluff and are at war with the other Tauren. So, they are not part of the community player characters come from.
    Where is it said?
    There's this guy:
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Torkhan

It's oversimplification of the lore. Every class\race combination used to have a considerable amount of background behind them.

No I didn't say it's going to ruin the game, it's going to be another cut of the 1000 bad decision cuts that are continuing to ruin the game.

Some race/class combinations make no sense simply based on the very origin of the races.

A Draenei Warlock or DH makes no sense, for instance, and that'd be especially true for Lightforged Draenei (whereas a DK can be explained as simply being resurrected post lightforging).

If the race was Eredar or Krokul/Broken it could make perfect sense for them to wield fel magic, but Draenei specifically do not and will never make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*