Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

My Frustration with Evoker/Dracthyr

Before I get into the subject of the title, I do want to say that I do see a lot of positive changes from this announcement and it seems, at least from where we are now, that Blizzard is really starting to try to make good changes to the game. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and we're going to have to wait to see. But, I want to give praise to what seems like a good step in the right direction.

However, one step back, IMO, is the decision to limit Evoker to just the Dracthyr. Evoker looks and sounds really cool. The problem is, the Dracthyr are so incredibly unappealing to me that I would choose to just not play the class. I say this as someone who has at least two of every class capped. One Alliance, one Horde, and have alts of all races. This isn't to say that the Dracthyr are bad, they just are incredibly unappealing to me.

I bring this up because I think this is a great opportunity for more insight into what the team is thinking. There still seems to be some stubborn beliefs that they are refusing to let go of, and race/class combinations are one of those things. We should see this be playable by all races, not just one very specific race. The team talked a ton about identity and being able to be who you want to be, but this restriction seems to fly in the face of that. What if I want to play as an Orc who takes up after the red dragonflight? What if I want to be a Gnome who sees Chromie and wants to take after her? It's just such an easy and obvious win but instead we're still fighting with these arbitrary restrictions for no real reason that I can tell.

Well it wouldn't make sense having a gnome flying over the battlefield, breathing fire.

Looks like a Gecko, not a dragonkin

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Well it wouldn't make sense having a gnome flying over the battlefield, breathing fire.
    The meme dream tho

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Ye, this pretty much.

It just doesn't make sense when you use dragon abilities in humanoid forms.
    Why they can't be other races is bit weird as we have seen others, such as tauren and gnome and they could look cool, for a certain niche grup, but still!

Don't like their look at all, looks like they just made a female model for drakonid then decided not to update the male model to ship for playable release.

Totally disappointing they can't be other classes either, a dragonman dual wielding battleaxes taking foes down sounds like something that 6 year old me would have loved to play.

At the end of the day, this is still supposed to be an RPG. Classes being limited by race should not go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Puthred View Post
    Looks like a Gecko, not a dragonkin
    It is a dragonkin spliced with mortal humanoids. So yeah.

I do feel like some separation would have been nice. Have a dragonsworn class that deals with mortals who serve the Dragonflights, and have a separate dracthyr race that can be any class - including the dragonsworn

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    It's just such an easy and obvious win but instead we're still fighting with these arbitrary restrictions for no real reason that I can tell.
    I mean, not to be cynical, but they may well add other races in later, and just make us earn them in-game like Allied Races or something (but probably easier to get).
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

They did say they have a human form or at least I thought I heard that. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I don't however see any issue with race/class restrictions still. Now hopefully they will allow them to "learn" to be other classes, like UNDEAD > hunters, GNOME > Priests... we shall see.

The Dracthyr models look ass, and to have a humanoid dragon to be able to switch into a human form is pretty redundant as well.

Yeah, there's some obvious flaws and it's frustrating to see them already.

Tank players get absolutely nothing out of the new race or class. Some people will say, "well, healers/ranged got nothing when demon hunters/DKs were announced, so..." but that was specifically a new class.

We have never had a new race not have access to a wide number of roles/playstyles. It's extremely limiting.

Additionally, you can't see armor on the Dracthyr. Some will say, "Well, druids-" but Dracthyr is much closer to worgen than druids in terms of shapeshifting.

Also, they put so many customizations for the humanoid forms.... when 99% of the game content requires you to be in combat in dragon form. Why?

At least open the humanoid forms to other classes.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    The class does seem very interesting and so far I love the concepts for it. The empower thing might solve one of my main issue with casters.

But the race.

I don’t know how to feel. 95% of the pictures we’ve seen make them look like a scaley fantasy.
    With only some of the few pictures hidden in press kits not looking like that.

I do understand the class being restricted to Dracthyr only because the animations don’t seem like they’d work for anything else.

However the Dracthyr only being able to be evokers is weird to me. They seem like they’d be able to be perfect mages, rogues, etc.
    But maybe it’s too hard to port those animations over to the dracthyr since they’re literally reskinned DHs in metamorphosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    At the end of the day, this is still supposed to be an RPG. Classes being limited by race should not go anywhere.
    isn't race specific classes the stable of RPGs?

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Before I get into the subject of the title, I do want to say that I do see a lot of positive changes from this announcement and it seems, at least from where we are now, that Blizzard is really starting to try to make good changes to the game. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and we're going to have to wait to see. But, I want to give praise to what seems like a good step in the right direction.

However, one step back, IMO, is the decision to limit Evoker to just the Dracthyr. Evoker looks and sounds really cool. The problem is, the Dracthyr are so incredibly unappealing to me that I would choose to just not play the class. I say this as someone who has at least two of every class capped. One Alliance, one Horde, and have alts of all races. This isn't to say that the Dracthyr are bad, they just are incredibly unappealing to me.

I bring this up because I think this is a great opportunity for more insight into what the team is thinking. There still seems to be some stubborn beliefs that they are refusing to let go of, and race/class combinations are one of those things. We should see this be playable by all races, not just one very specific race. The team talked a ton about identity and being able to be who you want to be, but this restriction seems to fly in the face of that. What if I want to play as an Orc who takes up after the red dragonflight? What if I want to be a Gnome who sees Chromie and wants to take after her? It's just such an easy and obvious win but instead we're still fighting with these arbitrary restrictions for no real reason that I can tell.
    I for one strongly disagree; we've seen little enough of dragons directly bestowing their power upon another in any systematic way, let alone on non draconids. Hell i don't even know any systematic boon given to all members of a single group.

It's not dnd, your character is your own and yours to customise, but not infinitely so; it still has to make sense within the world's boundaries. It's just downright presumptious to demand that they cater to any nonsensical headcanon after all.

Though it has to be said: While it does not fit, it does not fit CURRENTLY. A lot of lore may yet be added, perhaps expanding the amount of races being able to be an evoker (And dracthyr being other classes).

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Ye, this pretty much.

It just doesn't make sense when you use dragon abilities in humanoid forms.
    Why they can't be other races is bit weird as we have seen others, such as tauren and gnome and they could look cool, for a certain niche grup, but still!
    Wait, Horde Dracthyr will be forced to have human visage forms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    This comment is tired and 100% ignorant when it comes to RPGs. NUMEROUS RPG video games let you change your class. Claiming that classes should be limited by race is an RPG staple does nothing but prove you've never actually played any RPGs.

The model that they used for both the male and female Dracthyr leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Improving this would probably bring a lot more interest to the race/class.

I just want to see some options that give the models some edge.. They look too cutesy atm for me..