Do you think the Surge Needle can be used to destroy opponents?

I'm talking about these things https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Surge_needle

Surge needles are massive needles constructed of arcane energy. By opening the Focusing Iris with his own blood Malygos had been able to direct powerful surge needles, using them to pull arcane magic from Azeroth’s ley lines and channel that magic into the Nexus.[2]

The Twilight's Hammer used a surge needle to transfer magic from the Nexus into Chromatus, reviving him.[3] Arygos' life energy, the blood of a scion of Malygos,[4] was used to create a surge needle that channeled vast stores of arcane energy from the Nexus and into Chromatus's lifeless body, imbuing the abomination with life.[5]

They are needed to redirect energy, but I wonder if they can be used as weapons of mass destruction? Drain energy from the ley lines of Azeroth or from the Nexus (so as not to harm the planet) and shoot enemies with destructive rays of arcane magic. I think it would be interesting to see this, but for some reason they were not used for this. Malygos couldn't use them like that, or just didn't want to? I also think it would be amazing to see a dogfight between this thing and a Legion Ship, with the entire sky filled with the destructive power of Arcane and Fel.

Well, Surge Needles are just giant platforms that connect to the ley lines to direct them.

That's not really the source of power you're looking for, though. The power of all of this was the Focusing Iris. That's long been the McGuffin that lets you do pretty much whatever you want with magic. And it's also more portable than a Surge Needle.

You could combine a powerful device like the Focusing Iris with anything to create a weapon of mass destruction. The Mana Bomb that destroyed Theramore was made with it. As was a gigantic wave of bound elemental forces large enough to drown Orgrimmar, when Jaina got angry and had it.

So, I don't think you need a Surge Needle per se. Just an arcane user with sufficient power, or an arcane device that can produce the effect you want, to power up with the Focusing Iris.

I think Dalaran currently has it?

My guess is the focusing iris is like a magnifying glass, with arcane magic being the "light" that it absorbs before channeling it all into a tiny pinpointed area like the ol' frying ants technique. The Surge Needles, which I am imagining are the floating crystal structures we see around Dragonblight, the Nexus and Azsuna, are more like sponges that soak up magic from the ley lines as they pass through.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They likely can be used to kill but not in a direct beam type of way. You would use them to saturate an area with energy that is harmful to the parget such as frost energy into an area full of fire elementals.

Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    I'm talking about these things https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Surge_needle

Surge needles are massive needles constructed of arcane energy. By opening the Focusing Iris with his own blood Malygos had been able to direct powerful surge needles, using them to pull arcane magic from Azeroth’s ley lines and channel that magic into the Nexus.[2]

The Twilight's Hammer used a surge needle to transfer magic from the Nexus into Chromatus, reviving him.[3] Arygos' life energy, the blood of a scion of Malygos,[4] was used to create a surge needle that channeled vast stores of arcane energy from the Nexus and into Chromatus's lifeless body, imbuing the abomination with life.[5]

They are needed to redirect energy, but I wonder if they can be used as weapons of mass destruction? Drain energy from the ley lines of Azeroth or from the Nexus (so as not to harm the planet) and shoot enemies with destructive rays of arcane magic. I think it would be interesting to see this, but for some reason they were not used for this. Malygos couldn't use them like that, or just didn't want to? I also think it would be amazing to see a dogfight between this thing and a Legion Ship, with the entire sky filled with the destructive power of Arcane and Fel.
    Fel beats arcane every time, just ask Sargeras.
    And that is kinda the point: Arcane energy is not necessarily destructive, it is pure chaos; it can heal as well as it can harm, destroy as well as it can create, create destructive chaos as easily as it can create creative order (and viceversa).

Shoot raw arcane energy at anything that can harness such energy is likely to just boost that thing instead.
    Think of Thor vs. Iron Man: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ture=emb_title
    Sure, lightning is destructive, but if caught by something that can harness it, it will be useful sooner than destructive.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    And that is kinda the point: Arcane energy is not necessarily destructive, it is pure chaos; it can heal as well as it can harm, destroy as well as it can create, create destructive chaos as easily as it can create creative order (and viceversa).

Shoot raw arcane energy at anything that can harness such energy is likely to just boost that thing instead.
    Think of Thor vs. Iron Man: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ture=emb_title
    Sure, lightning is destructive, but if caught by something that can harness it, it will be useful sooner than destructive.
    Sargeras won because:
    he was originally the strongest of all
    he is the only one who knew how to fight (he killed Agramar before that)
    Titans are particularly vulnerable to Blight.
    Sargeras was not vulnerable to arcane because he was originally a Titan
    he had an army of demons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post

He didn't win because Arcane<Fel. He won cause well having Fell dumped all over you probably would empower you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi