https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590620293454008320

People point out that there are accounts genuinely trying to impersonate Nintendo of America and people like Joe Biden, which is very against Twitter's rules!

This is in response to Elon having a poll asking if there are more bots/spammers/scams or not.

He apparently thinks this is hilarious and not a huge liability for the company because brands don't want to even be on a platform where spoofers are doing shady shit.

I should check the betting sites on the over/under for Elon killing Twitter before the year is out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'd say people especially those who know what personal data is worth will leave twitter sooner than later, the service is a private company and who knows how much info musk could get his hands on by having access to all the accounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's one large thing I do and don't get.

The alt-right and 4chan claim that libs can't "Take a joke" because they use very abrasive, offensive, veiled and ironic humor. That they don't need to label their jokes as jokes, you just need to "get it, bro".

Why is it that the same people who champion free speech, as well as veiled and ironic jokes, are now championing the silencing of veiled and ironic jokes? Why is it that jokes need to suddenly be labeled as jokes? Please Musk and FREE SPEECH CHAMPIONS, tell me why this is.

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

So, how fast can a company go into bankruptcy after being purchased? Let's ask Musk. He might hold the record for it here soon if he goes through with it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...rt/ar-AA13B37w

An attorney on Twitter's privacy team posted a message in the company's Slack warning that Musk's focus on monetizing its users is making him take dangerous steps, The Verge reported. It's apparently at particular risk of incurring billions in fines from the Federal Trade Commission in the wake of a May settlement regarding the use of personal info to target ads.

Twitter's chief privacy officer, Damien Kieran; Chief Information Security Officer Lea Kissner; and Chief Compliance Officer Marianne Fogarty all resigned, The Verge noted. Kissner's departure was confirmed in a tweet.

Musk also reportedly told employees bankruptcy was a possibility, Bloomberg reported, citing a person familiar with the matter. Two more Twitter executives -- Yoel Roth, the company's head of trust and safety, and Robin Wheeler, who led marketing and sales at Twitter -- also resigned, according to the report. Roth, Wheeler and Musk's lawyer Alex Spiro didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

The alt-right and 4chan claim that libs can't "Take a joke" because they use very abrasive, offensive, veiled and ironic humor. That they don't need to label their jokes as jokes, you just need to "get it, bro".

Why is it that the same people who champion free speech, as well as veiled and ironic jokes, are now championing the silencing of veiled and ironic jokes? Why is it that jokes need to suddenly be labeled as jokes? Please Musk and FREE SPEECH CHAMPIONS, tell me why this is.
    Obviously because it was never actually about "free speech" for those people. They were just upset that the horseshit they were saying had consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    So, how fast can a company go into bankruptcy after being purchased? Let's ask Musk. He might hold the record for it here soon if he goes through with it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...rt/ar-AA13B37w
    Bankruptcy would actually be a smart move think about it, he can gut the company for parts have the tax write off and use it to launder Tesla stock. While it may look bad on paper it could increase his fortune it's what corporate vultures do for a living just not on this scale because it brings too much attention.

There's also been a theory floating around. Since basically all other car companies pulled their ads from Twitter, people have been wondering if it's been their efforts to hurt Tesla. My take is that they simply don't want to be associated with far right hate speech, and tanking Tesla is just a nice bonus.
    I mean why would you want to help out your competition. I'm not a brilliant billionaire like god, Musk. Yet simple if collapse Twitter by not advertising, you hurt Tesla.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Given what is now happening with Twitter I wonder if anyone has valued the 1800+ patents. Would it viable to declare bankruptcy, put all assets into a holding company and then license the use of the patents to other social media companies and let twitter die as a service, but still exist on paper as holding company to receive the fees for the patents.

From what I understand Elon only has to make about $1b a year to cover the interest on the loans that he took out to privatize Twitter.

Bankruptcy. End the service. Leverage the patents and then take a tax right off for the next several years for negative capital gains.

I mean its functionally possible, especially with how bad Twitters balance sheet is right now.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Can I just post one? Please?

Followed up by the other Chiquita account:

I'm glad to see these companies are on brand.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I think the whole L vs R angle doesn't work here. There are too many irrational musk fanboys in the mix which probably don't allign rigidly on either side. Besides not all far-right-wingers are 4chan trolls. I've seen some of them trying to kill twatter as well because even the troll lord is not safe from being trolled.

In other news, some people I know claim that dick pics have achieved higher ranking in twitter search results. Who needs content moderation? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Given what is now happening with Twitter I wonder if anyone has valued the 1800+ patents. Would it viable to declare bankruptcy, put all assets into a holding company and then license the use of the patents to other social media companies and let twitter die as a service, but still exist on paper as holding company to receive the fees for the patents.

From what I understand Elon only has to make about $1b a year to cover the interest on the loans that he took out to privatize Twitter.

Bankruptcy. End the service. Leverage the patents and then take a tax right off for the next several years for negative capital gains.

I mean its functionally possible, especially with how bad Twitters balance sheet is right now.
    No fucking chance he gets a billion a year for that shit. Huawei is currently trying that with some WLAN patterns that are actually worth something and are supposedly being used already and their chances are so-so to achieve that. Twitter's patents would only be worth that much, if all of the big players use them (and they probably don't). You also can't license them for fantasy money from one day to the next if they had reasonable fees before. New companies would never be able to afford them in the first place and new platforms don't reach the scale easily anyway to need them.

If twitter goes belly up musks financial house of cards, which is mostly held up by styrofoam, would probably implode soon after. He also can't cash out his Tesla stocks more and more villy nilly (his 4 billion recently was already down from the previous 8) because the tesla bubble (still pretty much a hundret times overvalued) is the very backbone of his load bearing styrofoam construction. In that regard, I wonder about some of the Tesla descisions as well. They already requested for their new giga fab in Berlin to be expanded to twice the size, yet they don't even operate it at half of it's current capacity. I frankly don't see them ramp up production to the reported 1 million (respectively 500k now) cars a year any time soon. Not with a luxury brand like tesla anyway.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-11-11 at 04:07 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    I think the whole L vs R angle doesn't work here. There are too many irrational musk fanboys in the mix which probably don't allign rigidly on either side. Besides not all far-right-wingers are 4chan trolls. I've seen some of them trying to kill twatter as well because even the troll lord is not safe from being trolled.

In other news, some people I know claim that dick pics have achieved higher ranking in twitter search results. Who needs content moderation? :P
    After recent events, his fan base is pretty much "libertarian" crypto rats and far right free speech screechers. I suppose there might be some die hard fans from the left back when everyone still thought he was the electric car champion, rather than the dude who bought Tesla and ousted the founders. But Musk is quickly becoming the butt of every joke as his wealth rapidly dwindles and Twitter circles the drain.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

No fucking chance he gets a billion a year for that shit. Huawei is currently trying that with some WLAN patterns that are actually worth something and are supposedly being used already and their chances are so-so to achieve that. Twitter's patents would only be worth that much, if all of the big players use them (and they probably don't). You also can't license them for fantasy money from one day to the next if they had reasonable fees before. New companies would never be able to afford them in the first place and new platforms don't reach the scale easily anyway to need them.

If twitter goes belly up musks financial house of cards, which is mostly held up by styrofoam, would probably implode soon after. He also can't cash out his Tesla stocks more and more villy nilly (his 4 billion recently was already down from the previous 8) because the tesla bubble (still pretty much a hundret times overvalued) is the very backbone of his load bearing styrofoam construction. In that regard, I wonder about some of the Tesla descisions as well. They already requested for their new giga fab in Berlin to be expanded to twice the size, yet they don't even operate it at half of it's current capacity. I frankly don't see them ramp up production to the reported 1 million (respectively 500k now) cars a year any time soon. Not with a luxury brand like tesla anyway.
    If he declares bankruptcy he wouldn't be liable for the loan or the interest on it but he can restructure the company and sell it for parts. He doesn't need to make 44 billion dollars by doing so just his part of the investment. The problem I can see with this strategy is that Twitter is too high profile to do a vulture capitalist / money laundering scheme of his stocks for profit. There's too much scrutiny and he would be audited by a government agency if nothing for national security. There's also the fact that he took money from the Saudis and the Chinese the kind of people that bone saw you if you get on their bad side.

After recent events, his fan base is pretty much "libertarian" crypto rats and far right free speech screechers. I suppose there might be some die hard fans from the left back when everyone still thought he was the electric car champion, rather than the dude who bought Tesla and ousted the founders. But Musk is quickly becoming the butt of every joke as his wealth rapidly dwindles and Twitter circles the drain.
    I think he still has alot of uneducated tech hipsters and eco champions on his side as well. The feel-good crowd that doesn't care if the solution works, they just want the label to fit so they can feel better about themselves. At least that is my impression from comments on german tech news sites where you still find people claiming he has a masterplan and this is all deliberate. Usually sprinkled with some uneducated "this is why we don't have this or that in germany" comments from people that clearly dropt all STEM related classes once they could.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    If he declares bankruptcy he wouldn't be liable for the loan or the interest on it but he can restructure the company and sell it for parts. He doesn't need to make 44 billion dollars by doing so just his part of the investment. The problem I can see with this strategy is that Twitter is too high profile to do a vulture capitalist / money laundering scheme of his stocks for profit. There's too much scrutiny and he would be audited by a government agency if nothing for national security. There's also the fact that he took money from the Saudis and the Chinese the kind of people that bone saw you if you get on their bad side.
    Agreed, I don't think his lenders would let him get away with just declaring bankruptcy. Especially as long as he has valuable assets. Then again, the 4b sale of tesla stock may have been just a smokescreen to claim he tried. Not sure how much bullshit US law let's you get away with here. I just know that some "experts" claimed it would be rather difficult for him to keep doing as he is now, but they are like doctors and diagnoses, I guess.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing I've read is that twitter doesn't matter sooner than later because the future is bluesky and the AT protocol developed by dorsey. It's a strange conspiracy that makes the rounds about enlightenment, the end of borders, the end of governments, and all kinds of shit.

This is a weird timeline we're living in.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The thing I've read is that twitter doesn't matter sooner than later because the future is bluesky and the AT protocol developed by dorsey. It's a strange conspiracy that makes the rounds about enlightenment, the end of borders, the end of governments, and all kinds of shit.

This is a weird timeline we're living in.
    And I thought the mastodon crowed was nuts... you walk in strange circles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/11/twit...-from-app.html

Damn, Twitter Blue didn't even last a full Scaramucci.

And I guess the "official" verified boxes are rolling out again too for some folks?

I gotta say, the Twitter Blue fiasco unleashed some of the best quality humor Twitter has seen to-date. And it was all illegal humor on Twitter. The Chiquita Banana tweets above? Absolutely not allowed on Twitter, but also absolute top quality comedy, brilliant stuff. And none of which was intended by Elon, who was instead apparently very annoyed by people ruthlessly mocking his terrible decisions and fragile ego.

This continues to be one of the best trainwrecks I've seen in a long time and I've stocked up on popcorn, hot-dogs, and marshmallows to roast over this dumpster fire.

15+ Year Old Account
    And I thought the mastodon crowed was nuts... you walk in strange circles.
    Never underestimate the imagination of people. ^^

It is Veterans day, though not a formal holiday I wonder if they've got the day off or something. I don't imagine they would with Elon being in "THIS IS A FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL AND WE NEED TO WORK 20 HOUR DAYS" mode, but who knows.

I do hope everyone is just like just choosing not to show the fuck up though. Given that Elon already lost one game of chicken, I wonder if they're looking to see if he'll blink first again.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/s...WOrSD2tcw&s=19

And a fake Eli Lilly account just sent out a tweet that sent the real companies stock tumbling down $20 over a tweet saying they were making insulin free. This has been clarified of course, but the damage is done and it seems that that it's not going to be quickly reversed given that it's again raised the public discussion over why a publicly funded bit of research costs so much bloody money despite it being cheap to produce.

Seriously, Elon buying Twitter is turning out to be one of the best things ever. It's been a comedy goldmine in ways he absolutely never intended and may have some additional unintended benefits.

All because a bunch of funny people are willing to spend $8 to shitpost and cause some good chaos.