Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I told you he would get out of it.

"B-but he p-promised he would buy it".

Heh.
    Source for him "getting out of it"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Initially Musk claimed that his reason for wanting to buy Twitter (assuming it goes through) was because it was inefficient and he saw ways to improve his investment. But we now know the real reason is to buy it in order to essentially remove all moderation. I don't really see how that will work out for him, since Twitter is barely usable as-is with a lot of moderation. It's always been easy for users to move along if an app goes downhill, and there are plenty of examples of once popular apps that are defunct or close now. So it's not hard to predict a normally moderated Twitter replacement to come along fairly quickly. For Musk, Twitter could go to $0 and he'll be fine, but it's unfortunate for the employees that will be displaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Initially Musk claimed that his reason for wanting to buy Twitter (assuming it goes through) was because it was inefficient and he saw ways to improve his investment. But we now know the real reason is to buy it in order to essentially remove all moderation. I don't really see how that will work out for him, since Twitter is barely usable as-is with a lot of moderation. It's always been easy for users to move along if an app goes downhill, and there are plenty of examples of once popular apps that are defunct or close now. So it's not hard to predict a normally moderated Twitter replacement to come along fairly quickly. For Musk, Twitter could go to $0 and he'll be fine, but it's unfortunate for the employees that will be displaced.
    The displaced employees have been cashing 100k+ salaries plus stock options. They need to be taken down a peg cuz they havent been able to make twitter a profitable company in 10+ years. I think valuation is actuallu much lower

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    The displaced employees have been cashing 100k+ salaries plus stock options. They need to be taken down a peg cuz they havent been able to make twitter a profitable company in 10+ years. I think valuation is actuallu much lower
    Why are you angry at the employees who are getting industry standard salary for their jobs and not you know the executives who are in charge and tasked with making the company profitable? You know they will still get the same amount if not more working other places right?
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2022-10-25 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    He didn't just promise he signed a legally binding contract and if he wants to get out he has to do that in a court of law like a grown up.
    Or, if the US government happens to ban the sale because he's been saying crazy things on Twitter (and elsewhere) and it doesn't like some of his co-investors, he will get to shrug and say force majure and walk away (with the $6+ billion from Tesla stock he's liquidated, which he totally sold to "buy Twitter" and not to cash out, because the latter would threaten the perceived stability of the company).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Or, if the US government happens to ban the sale because he's been saying crazy things on Twitter (and elsewhere) and it doesn't like some of his co-investors, he will get to shrug and say force majure and walk away (with the $6+ billion from Tesla stock he's liquidated, which he totally sold to "buy Twitter" and not to cash out, because the latter would threaten the perceived stability of the company).
    Nah twitter isn't a too big to fail company and there's no law against crazy rich people buying companies. He could go to jail for stock manipulation but the SEC is a paper tiger they don't put people with wealth and power in jail.

7+ Year Old Account

---

Is it really happening!? The future of Twitter looks brighter than ever. We've now left an age of darkness and have entered into a new era of enlightenment, starting today.

/Salutes Chief Twit

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Is it really happening!? The future of Twitter looks brighter than ever. We've now left an age of darkness and have entered into a new era of enlightenment, starting today.

/Salutes Chief Twit
    Nothing says bright future like the chief twit saying he may layoff 75% of the work force /s

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

---

/Salutes Chief Twit
    I'm willing to bet twitter will crash and burn if he runs it how he wants to. Advertisers won't want their name next to racism.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Why are you angry at the employees who are getting industry standard salary for their jobs and not you know the executives who are in charge and tasked with making the company profitable? You know they will still get the same amount if not more working other places right?
    I know. Which is why I dont feel sympathetic when they bitch and moan abt losing their jobs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I'm willing to bet twitter will crash and burn if he runs it how he wants to. Advertisers won't want their name next to racism.
    I am kinda annoyed ppl are fine with marketing departments determining whats acceptable speech.

Hopefully Elon Musk succeeds but I am not hoping a lot

"Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!" -Musk. Today

10+ Year Old Account
    I am kinda annoyed ppl are fine with marketing departments determining whats acceptable speech.
    Acceptable conduct using their services. To which the punishment only amounts to denial of continued use of those services.

It's exactly like a McDonalds kicking out someone who keeps screaming ethnic slurs at a group of kids there celebrating a birthday party. Literally the same thing. Dude can go scream ethnic slurs on someone else's property.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Acceptable conduct using their services. To which the punishment only amounts to denial of continued use of those services.

It's exactly like a McDonalds kicking out someone who keeps screaming ethnic slurs at a group of kids there celebrating a birthday party. Literally the same thing. Dude can go scream ethnic slurs on someone else's property.
    I know

But ppl wouldnt be saying the same thing if marketing departmemts were filled with ppl with different values. Like how ppl give Disney shit when they censor stuff for other countries

10+ Year Old Account
    I know

But ppl wouldnt be saying the same thing if marketing departmemts were filled with ppl with different values. Like how ppl give Disney shit when they censor stuff for other countries
    Sure we would. The difference is we shit on those companies for making a shitty decision. Like we do when we give Disney shit over censoring stuff for other countries. Or the noise about Chik-Fil-A's homophobia.

We're completely consistent on this point. They have the right to make those choices. It's not a determination of what's "acceptable speech" in any broader extent. They can also be criticised for the particulars of what they consider "acceptable".

I know. Which is why I dont feel sympathetic when they bitch and moan abt losing their jobs
    Still not explaining why you are pissed at the regular workers and not the big wigs for twitter being twitter. Did a twitter employee steal your girlfriend or something?

Hopefully Elon Musk succeeds but I am not hoping a lot
    You'd rather an attention-seeking billionaire troll be the one to decide such things?

The other flaw in this thinking IMO is seeing Twitter as encompassing acceptable speech. It really, really isn't unless one is terminally online and only interacts with people through it.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    also he's pretty business savvy
    When a person is born into wealth much of their education will revolve around how to keep and maintain that wealth. It's not "savvy" at all, it's simply the circumstances of their family.

People raised in poverty don't tend to have much need of an education in how to manage a massive stock portfolio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    When a person is born into wealth much of their education will revolve around how to keep and maintain that wealth. It's not "savvy" at all, it's simply the circumstances of their family.

People raised in poverty don't tend to have much need of an education in how to manage a massive stock portfolio.
    We could also point out how "business savvy" somehow only ever gets interpreted as "figured out how to maximize their parasitism off their employees' labor for self-profit", and never "produced a better product than the competitors" or "took care of their workforce responsibly".

Really underscores where the priorities lie.

Truly, an emotionally and psychologically stable genius.

I'm just so glad he innovates all kinds of things like 1-lane tunnels where a Tesla driven by a human shuttles people between locations. Complete with traffic jams that underground tunnels like that are supposed to circumvent, but it's in beta! The tunnel is in beta! Get ready for Tunnel 2.0! It'll be Hyperloop soon! Dogecoin!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Truly, an emotionally and psychologically stable genius.
    Nothing says GTFO and find a new job like your new boss acting like an 8chan troll in real life.