Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dragonflight & old gods

Do you guys think that the old gods will play a role in this expansion?

Or particularly on the black dragon flight? Since they have had such a long history being excessively weak to their whispers?

Personally I would rather not but I feel like it may be inevitable even if it's in a indirect manner like while we were fighting N'Zoth in BFA he was pushing his whispers to the rest of the dragonflight despite the isles being hidden.
    Last edited by tommyhil622; 2022-04-29 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post

Or particular on the black dragon flight? Since they have had such a long history being excessively week to their whispers?

Personally I would rather not but i feel like it may be inevitable even if it's in a indirect manner like while we were fighting N'Zoth in BFA he was pushing his whispers to the rest of the dragonflight despite the isles being hidden.
    I feel like they go hand in hand. Dragons are Titan-empowered primal ancient protectors of the world, Old Gods are Void Lord created primal ancient supernatural invaders. They have such a complicated history with each other.

- War of the Shifting Sands pitting Green, Blue and Bronze Dragonflights against C'thun
    - N'zoth's long time corruption of the Emerald Dream
    - Deathwing's corruption and the mad creation of the Demon Soul
    - Murozond and the Infinite Dragonflight creation
    - Wrathion and Ebonhorn fighting the corruption

I'd honestly be quite surprised if they don't touch on this at all.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-04-29 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Given that all of the Old Gods on Azeroth are currently dead, or at least out of play insofar as that goes, I would say the odds are low. I'm sure there will be oblique references to the Old Gods and their corruption as concerns the Black Dragonflight and its history, as well as Deathwing's role in that history, but they're probably not going to show up.

There is a chance for the Twilight's Hammer to make a showing, though; especially as concerns the Twilight dragons and their connections to the cult. Would be interesting to see what's going on with the Twilight's Hammer cultists in light of the fact that all of their deities have now come to an end, and the Hour of Twilight having been averted.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I sincerely hope not. Except for Y'shaarj, the old gods are one of the least interesting things about the setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so.

I love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Given that all of the Old Gods on Azeroth are currently dead, or at least out of play insofar as that goes,
    Xal is still somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    Xal is still somewhere.
    Xal'atath isn't really an Old God, though.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Technically I don't think that is definitively established either way yet.

Or particular on the black dragon flight? Since they have had such a long history being excessively week to their whispers?

Personally I would rather not but i feel like it may be inevitable even if it's in a indirect manner like while we were fighting N'Zoth in BFA he was pushing his whispers to the rest of the dragonflight despite the isles being hidden.
    Yes. Il'gynoth already told us this. "Five lanterns now darkened. The flames they seek will light the Masters' way." Five dragonflights. They're getting their empowerment back....

I strongly expect them to feature, yeah. All titan facilities are linked to monitoring Azeroth's health, and her biggest if not her only issue was the old god infection. And as we've seen in Legion's featuring of Yogg Saron's vapors and whispers and BfA's silithid, as well as Xal'atath's dagger going missing in a very obvious way, well, most if nit all of the old gods are poised to return if not already returned.

Then there is BfA's red star over darkshore, which in my view can mean either hellfire (Sargeras broke free) or a meteor.
    And since old gods arrived as meteors and since they return to the void upon death, well i reckon it could be Y'shaarj intending to slam into Azeroth's crust yet again.

Even beyond that we've still not seen the last of the twilight dragons or the infinites, might see more of the void dragons and Chromatus, last resurrected by the Twiliight's Hammer remains "dead" but indestructable and resurrectable in an arcane vault. Also with death's power being altered in the wake of Shadowlands Galakrond's resurrection may become more or less likely, wether that ve through death's weakening and thus the void (or another) resurrecting him, or through death strengthening but ditching the domination stuff and thus accidentally loosing the tools to resurrect him upon the world.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-04-29 at 10:00 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    No but she(If we can call her that) is definitely not necessarily our friend persay. She might take advantage of the fact her old God "friends" are dead.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Given that all of the Old Gods on Azeroth are currently dead, or at least out of play insofar as that goes, I would say the odds are low. I'm sure there will be oblique references to the Old Gods and their corruption as concerns the Black Dragonflight and its history, as well as Deathwing's role in that history, but they're probably not going to show up.

There is a chance for the Twilight's Hammer to make a showing, though; especially as concerns the Twilight dragons and their connections to the cult. Would be interesting to see what's going on with the Twilight's Hammer cultists in light of the fact that all of their deities have now come to an end, and the Hour of Twilight having been averted.
    I think the Twilight hammer may show up like you mentioned. I do wonder if faceless ones can presist even without their patron old god being alive? I also wonder any corruption that happened prior to the old gods dying, so predating the expansion etc and still having lingering effects until the present day? coupled with some mortals delving in the void etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I feel like they go hand in hand. Dragons are Titan-empowered primal ancient protectors of the world, Old Gods are Void Lord created primal ancient supernatural invaders. They have such a complicated history with each other.

- War of the Shifting Sands pitting Green, Blue and Bronze Dragonflights against C'thun
    - N'zoth's long time corruption of the Emerald Dream
    - Deathwing's corruption and the mad creation of the Demon Soul
    - Murozond and the Infinite Dragonflight creation
    - Wrathion and Ebonhorn fighting the corruption

I'd honestly be quite surprised if they don't touch on this at all.
    me too, i just hope if they do cover it that it's perhaps like an adjacent storyline or a subplot that would advance the larger one if that makes sense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Yes. Il'gynoth already told us this. "Five lanterns now darkened. The flames they seek will light the Masters' way." Five dragonflights. They're getting their empowerment back....
    I forgot about that quote, that's seems super clear atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    I strongly expect them to feature, yeah. All titan facilities are linked to monitoring Azeroth's health, and her biggest if not her only issue was the old god infection. And as we've seen in Legion's featuring of Yogg Saron's vapors and whispers and BfA's silithid, as well as Xal'atath's dagger going missing in a very obvious way, well, most if nit all of the old gods are poised to return if not already returned.

Then there is BfA's red star over darkshore, which in my view can mean either hellfire (Sargeras broke free) or a meteor.
    And since old gods arrived as meteors and since they return to the void upon death, well i reckon it could be Y'shaarj intending to slam into Azeroth's crust yet again.

Even beyond that we've still not seen the last of the twilight dragons or the infinites, might see more of the void dragons and Chromatus, last resurrected by the Twiliight's Hammer remains "dead" but indestructable and resurrectable in an arcane vault. Also with death's power being altered in the wake of Shadowlands Galakrond's resurrection may become more or less likely, wether that ve through death's weakening and thus the void (or another) resurrecting him, or through death strengthening but ditching the domination stuff and thus accidentally loosing the tools to resurrect him upon the world.
    Yea more or less the old gods or their minions have had a hand in virtually every major titan installation or plan. I also can't image the black dragon flight being completely cleansed of the whispers dead or otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Technically I don't think that is definitively established either way yet.
    She may have been one at some point, it's suggested that that's her origin - but whatever she is now isn't an Old God. Old Gods, insofar as we've known them, are monstrous agglomerations of maws, eyeballs, claws, and tendrils brimming with the power of the Void. Xal'atath appears to be more of a spirit, first possessing the blade that bore her name previously, then taking possession of the corpse of an elven woman. Whatever she is now doesn't appear to be an Old God, in other words; but rather a ghost or spirit of some Void-aligned entity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No but she(If we can call her that) is definitely not necessarily our friend persay. She might take advantage of the fact her old God "friends" are dead.
    That's true enough, sure. I'm personally of the mind that Xal'atath is more or less out for herself, though; more likely to try to make a deal and get one over on us as opposed to being an outright antagonist.

People focus too much on the earlier version of it from Legion where he talks about the "five torches". There are five world trees and one did burn. Possibly two since we don't have an explanation as to why there's a world tree in the Emerald Dream/Nightmare version of Un'goro yet not one in the real world.

I made a large post elsewhere on here that talks about all the breadcrumbs left between Legion and BfA that herald at least N'Zoth returning if not our other tentacley friends.

It references a lot of Il'gynoth's whispers as well as what Xal'atath tells us in Legion and BfA.

She may have been one at some point, it's suggested that that's her origin - but whatever she is now isn't an Old God. Old Gods, insofar as we've known them, are monstrous agglomerations of maws, eyeballs, claws, and tendrils brimming with the power of the Void.
    It's just a philosophical difference. Despite a lack of a eldritch horror body I wouldn't reclassify Xal as not an Old God, if that '5th OG consumed by the others' potential oirigin pans out. Once an OG always an OG.

I think the Twilight hammer may show up like you mentioned. I do wonder if faceless ones can presist even without their patron old god being alive? I also wonder any corruption that happened prior to the old gods dying, so predating the expansion etc and still having lingering effects until the present day? coupled with some mortals delving in the void etc.

- - - Updated - - -

me too, i just hope if they do cover it that it's perhaps like an adjacent storyline or a subplot that would advance the larger one if that makes sense?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yea more or less the old gods or their minions have had a hand in virtually every major titan installation or plan. I also can't image the black dragon flight being completely cleansed of the whispers dead or otherwise.
    Yeah, i kinda expect either Wrathion or Ebonhorn or Sabellian falling prey to the whispers, just to kerp that dynamic going (of which i approve, mind you). And let's be honest: All of them have their weaknesses to it.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Good question insofar as the faceless ones go - no idea if they are independent enough to persist now with the original Old Gods being vanquished. Based on the state of Mindflayer Kaahrj in the Legion version of the Violet Hold, it seems like the death of a "patron" Old God makes the faceless ones basically enter a form of hibernation or catatonia. When Yogg-Saron died, Mindflayer Kaahrj became inert and unresponsive, but when Dalaran transitioned to floating over the Broken Isles Kaahrj "woke up" and became active again, now spewing random stuff about N'Zoth. They definitely seem like they need the active influence of an Old God in order to function, though this may be a matter of power, scale, or some other factor we don't know yet.

- - - Updated - - -

It's just a philosophical difference. Despite a lack of a eldritch horror body I wouldn't reclassify Xal as not an Old God, if that '5th OG consumed by the others' potential oirigin pans out. Once an OG always an OG.
    I'd say it would be more appropriate to call her the shade of an Old God, or perhaps a fragment of one. Kind of like Y'Shaarj as it is now, the Sha aren't really Old Gods, they're just specters born of Y'Shaarj's malevolence. I do agree it's a rather semantic technicality, though.

I doubt we'll see much of the Old Gods, at least in the first patch. For one thing, the island has been without its guardians for 10.000 years, with lots of things put in standby mode. That seems like a disastrous thing to do, even for a year.

It feels more like this'll start about elemental-related enemies. That's not to say the Void won't feature later.

The Chromatus story thread is kind of impossible to ignore, if we're going to make this expansion about dragons. And he's born from the machinations of Deathwing, his children and the Twilight Hammer. If we're going to be introduced to the Void Lords, he would make for a fine herald.

I think the Old Gods and the Void and their corrupting whispers are over used. I could definitely use a break from them. Everything and everyone corrupted or evil is often time connected to them, which is bland and boring.

I do hope though that the Black Dragons overcome the whispers. That story was told to death. And it wasn't even a good one. Turning Deathwing first into a bitch, whining about his power up and then into a raging retard slave without a brain cell left was a vaste. Same as killing of Onyxia and Nefarian as loot pinatas. Hopefully the story of the Black Dragon Flight will be a better one in the future.

Knaifu is still out there. So is Azshara. More Twilights are always an option. We saw with the end of the world is 2000, no 2001, no 2012, no... that cultists never give up. And we saw as recently as Legion that Old God whispers can still do some nasty shit. Hell, Pandaria was nothing BUT the faintest whispers of Old God mojo.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.