Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    If it is just reduced to the basics though, then it doesn't have the entire system.
    Well...if you expect a mobile game to have a giant grid based combat with full 3D models and combat, then...well yes, it's going to be less.

I don't know what you're trying to get at though. It's a smaller map, less details, and more simple combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Fair enough I misunderstood. I don't see the concern about the mobile game. Worst case scenario sounds like it will suck but if you install it and play it for 5min you will get a mount or something.
    Pretty much honestly. Or as I like to call it, Mercenaries mode in Hearthstone :P

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's going to be some so-called "Free to play" game with a cheap League of Legends artstyle that is unfun if you play for free and tries to milk you into spending thousands of dollars, when you could just buy a game on Steam for $20 and get a far more enjoyable experience.
    You really should update your way of thinking to match the reality of todays world.

You are not supposed to think that reasonable and logical about things.

Just spend money.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like it or not, phone games make a lot of money, so it is natural that they will jump in as well.

I don´t like them, so I just ignore them.

I´d advise you to do the same, but do not question them, they do make money..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I've seen 2 comments in this thread saying the same thing about the OP being an old man and that mobile games generate amazing revenue.

I mean... so what? Are you a fan of revenue generating assets or are you a fan of games? Lmao. The revenue argument is all you have? Well yeah, I'm not surprised that an outlet where you can spend anywhere from 99 cents to ten dollars for components of an addiction-cycle on something that barely counts as a video game but has all the right addictive dings, lights, and points of gratification that anyone with a phone can play in ten minute sessions during work or class or in bed before they sleep generates tons of revenue.

Hearthstone is probably Blizzard's highest generating game right now but that doesn't make it a game anyone will remember after the addicts have left because it's really just that. It's your brain being tickled by endless cycles. There's no story, no interesting gameplay, no unique and new mechanics. It's something to do to distract you from something you don't want to do, presented to you in the most energy efficient manner possible. And it preys on your inability to quit it while minimizing the effort to keep it updated and fresh.

So again, are you a fan of revenue generating assets or are you a fan of video games? Lol.
    I'm saying companies will obviously make mobile games because they're extremely lucrative and that's just the way of it. You're basically bitching about P2W shit but not acknowledging that retail WoW is also P2W right now.

It's an entirely different design team that doesn't detract from the PC game development whatsoever, so bitching about a completely unrelated product that makes Blizzard a bunch of money is moronic at best. The game isn't for people who don't want to do mobile gaming - so if you don't like mobile gaming then don't play it. Pretend it doesn't exist for all it matters - it's existence is basically irrelevant to you anyways.

It's like bitching that there are people currently designing games for obsolete gaming consoles - if you don't want to play on those consoles then don't, the game is made for people who are interested. I'm not one of those people, but who the fuck cares? Not everything needs to make everyone squeal with excitement. Not everything is for everyone. Just because you like Warcraft doesn't mean you need to be interested in a mobile game in that setting. It just doesn't matter.

Don't like it? Move the fuck on, it's not taking money or time from anything you're interested in anyways. I couldn't care less about every single racing game ever made but that doesn't mean I'm going to bitch that companies still make them.

PS: Hearthstone is a massively successful digital TCG, full stop. People who cry about the P2W aspect of Hearthstone are babies who've never built a tournament-ready constructed MTG deck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Like it or not, phone games make a lot of money, so it is natural that they will jump in as well.

I don´t like them, so I just ignore them.

I´d advise you to do the same, but do not question them, they do make money..
    Hey look, someone who gets it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    sure - it could be good, could be bad. I'll give it a whirl for sure though. the caveat that if it has the buy a shield to protect your city BS I'll likely avoid it.
    I hope not...those games are so fucking awful and reward you for farming newbies who have no chance to fight back

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    My money's on a Gacha Game like Pokemon Masters EX, some terrible Clash of Clans ripoff, or some Pokemon Go ripoff.
    PoGo clone was apparently in development but got axed, much likely because excluding PoGo, no other game of the sort had any resemblance of success, including the HP one that had both the brand name and fanbase to potentially be huge (my wife is an avid HP fan and played it for the whole two years it lasted, basically the mismanagement of the whole thing was baffling and Niantic wasted a so huge opportunity by basically being clueless about how to put new things in the game or actually know what they wanted from it).

I'm going for a Clans clone, though pets are something definitely apt to be a mobile thing. Anyway, it's probably going to be a microtx infested, pvp based game like countless others i'm gonna install and get bored after a week or two.

The only Warcraft related game i would play on mobile would be a combat pet collector game where i can safely ignore anything that's battling with other people and i can roam the world hunting and collecting pets just to find them also in WoW. If there's anything even resembling any kind of "log in daily to be competeitive" i'm just bailing the fuck out.

It's a mobile game. Competition is not a thing since it's just going to be p2w as usual. There's a reason why mobile game companies are raking billions - because people is stupid and doesn't know better (plus designing games to be as compulsive and exploitative as possible).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Well of course. But I doubt WoW team(s) are all that understaffed. There's going to be diminishing returns, is my point. So you can't necessarily just stop making this "useless mobile game" and add them to the WoW teams, and reap the benefits of more content.
    I work for a F500 company, and we've had our highest rate of vacancy ever in history. Companies all across the spectrum are hurting to retain employees and I can't see how Blizzard isn't facing the same issue, let alone the lawsuit that probably spooked a bunch of potential hires and had people fleeing first chance they got.

While it's true you can't really throw devs at a thing and be like make content faster, you can certainly add devs to create more content, but diminishing returns absolutely do exist here as well.

The quality of this game would have to be equivalent or better than Genshin Impact for me to really care. Hate or love that game/company/genre, the quality is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    There is a next to 0% chance the budget has decreased with the team size increases of Wod leading to legion being huge and then BFA getting the CGi treatment with old soldier.

At most you could argue that shadowlands had less work put into it as they shifted production to DF but even that isn’t really a certainty as there’s no way to tel how Covid effected development from our side.
    thats why i said „percent wise“. and „even more cost effective“.

yes, budget increased (lets say doubled aka x2) while profit did (non linear) too (in example trippled aka x3).

cost effectiveness or decreased budget dont work like „wotlk costed 5 millions but WoD costed 3 millions“. try thinking more of like „wotlk costed 3% of Blizzards profit while WoD costed 1,9%“.

or just google what cost effective in reality means.

seriously: when i read such posts i get the feeling i need to kick my head into my table. seriously.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-05-03 at 01:27 PM.

imagine spending this budged on fixing war3 reforged.

that would be perhaps somewhat reminiscent of the blizzard of old.

Quote Originally Posted by WARSTORMS View Post
    I'm so excited.

I can't wait to see how useless this game is.

Just love seeing all these resources funnelled into something wow related that isn't wow. Think of all the spell revamps and cool character tune up's that could have been implemented instead of this.
    If people play it and they have fun it isn't irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    It might very well warrant criticism after the reveal but this is just petty considering we know nothing about it yet
    We know it's on mobile. That's your hint.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Are we still in the mindset that "mobile game" must immediately = "cash grabbing garbage" in 2022?
    Are there any that aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    My less cynical take that kind of aligns with your is that, as I've mentioned in another thread, WoW doesn't generate nearly enough profit (even if it technically generates some profit) to be the focus of extra funds. Some of it may trickle there, but the majority would be put into other projects with higher revenue potential with minimal effort. That's basically what most of the mobile market is: getting the most revenue with as little effort as possible.

If I have a concern before the announcement, it would be in relationship to D:Immortal: the monetization scheme. Before the last testing phase closed on D:Immortal, there were power gains and upgrades that were completely blocked behind a paywall and could never be gotten by a non-paying player. Granted things could change in the next testing phase, but the fact that such a system even went into testing suggests that it's not an accidental move. I'm very worried that Blizz will very much miss the balance of free vs P2W that even normies would tolerate, let alone those who despise P2W altogether.

However, one thing I've learned from Lost Ark is that there's TONS of people who will shell out $10,000-$20,000 USD in MTX to get ahead... imagine if that was a guaranteed way to be superior to regular players permanently if there was no free way to get there. That's the current state of D:Immortal, and I wouldn't be completely shocked if the new Warcraft mobile game has a similar issue. We'll probably find out, or at least get an idea of the direction Blizz will go for this new game based upon if/how they react or even address MTX and monetization schemes for the Warcraft mobile game.
    first part:
    its more like, imo, Blizzard want exactly the same (you are totally correct with the mobile market statement) for wow. look how SL has token supporting game design. smart cash grab systems, high cost efficiency, more marketing than content, rehashing, cheap „systems“ solely based on DB and simple UIs (instead of expensive content by gfx, world design, game engine) … all of this is the base of the cash grab mobile market. Blizz do exactly this with wow. as much as it is possible in a old AAA game. they just max milk the cow.

other part:
    i bet 10 pizzas you will see today EXACTLY that direction and a tiny Warcraft brother of D:Immortal.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-05-03 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    I hope not...those games are so fucking awful and reward you for farming newbies who have no chance to fight back
    exactly, and i know people that spend 100's a month on shields alone /sigh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    mobility is the eventual future. It should be embraced, thats how we can move onto quality games on our phones.
    We already have quality games on our phones, that are overshadowed by ones that use predatory marketing practices.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    thats why i said „percent wise“. and „even more cost effective“.

yes, budget increased (lets say doubled aka x2) while profit did (non linear) too (in example trippled aka x3).

cost effectiveness or decreased budget dont work like „wotlk costed 5 millions but WoD costed 3 millions“. try thinking more of like „wotlk costed 3% of Blizzards profit while WoD costed 1,9%“.

or just google what cost effective in reality means.

seriously: when i read such posts i get the feeling i need to kick my head into my table. seriously.
    If your comparing against blizzard as a whole sure % rise there would likely be a drop but that would mainly be due to blizzard not really having any thing else new on the market during wrath.

If you were to compare against what just wow brings in like it was during wrath then in all likely hood the % budget has risen significantly with the drop in subs loss of battle chest sales and increase in team size and projects like old solider.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

this guy gets it. enjoy suckling off the teet of a disgusting company.
    tbf: it’s not just Blizz. it’s the typical monetization business model of the modern gaming market. and lots of companies going in that direction. because there is where you make billions instead of millions.

thats the reason why an older gaming generation not like modern game market much. in the 90s the game market was simply a niche market. today it’s a multibillion dollar mass market. the millennials don’t know better. for them it’s normal to quickly hop in and out of games. play on a casual niveau. play 10 cheap shit games on the surface than 1 good game in deep. invest huge amount of small money chunks into a game. being a whale. in a game. thats not how games worked in the 90s. but today its hard businesses. and making profit (regardless how) is waaaay more important than a good product (game).

look at the games. they are nearly all cost effective. a typical AAA console game has some rpg elements (trees, attributes, etc), regardless if its a sports game or Batman or whatever, and 103745373926 things to collect and 17735482625 achievements. because its cheap. they look all the same. all based on the same concepts.

- gameworld. check.
    - story. check
    - cinematics. check.
    - 5000 cheap puzzles. check.
    - 5000 collectables. check
    - 5000 achievements. check.

thats how a game is designed these days.

times change…
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-05-03 at 01:49 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Tower defense prolly.
    Ohhh, I could go for a Blizzard take on Tower Defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    mobility is the eventual future. It should be embraced, thats how we can move onto quality games on our phones.
    I'd be happier if they had more controllers that attached to your phone. Touch controls on your primary screen are bad. The Nintendo DS showed how you should use touch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Good to know they can churn out Warcraft related mobile trash but can't bother to un-fuck Warcraft 3 even after two whole years after Reforged released.
    Supposedly they're going to be taking a look at it again, but who knows at this point.

Unrelated, I just hope that they learned their lesson with Diablo: Immortal and make it playable on PC as well.

There are certain niche genres I'd be interested to play on my phone, but I doubt they'll be going for such.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so excited.

Just love seeing all these resources funnelled into something wow related that isn't wow. Think of all the spell revamps and cool character tune up's that could have been implemented instead of this.
    I don't play mobile games so yeah it's useless to me. Now here's the difference between you and me. You think that anything you don't like is shit and irrelevant, while I live in the real world.

I'm so excited.

Hey guess what, the world doesn't revolve around your wants and desires.

Whether or not the game they reveal is for you is irrelevant, it'll likely be very successful and have a very large player base that enjoy the game.