Thread: 2022 Midterms

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is humiliation really a concern for them? It's not like it would be hard to convince their base that this is all somehow the Democrats' fault...
    "Democrats won't vote for us and it's not faaaaiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr." - A Republican on Fox News tonight, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Seems the less insane republicans are hoping the Democrats will stop voting to allow McCarthy to win, but they aren't playing ball. Rightly so.
    Why on Earth would they do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    So they've given up for the day and called the whole thing off until tomorrow. This is hilarious.

Seems the less insane republicans are hoping the Democrats will stop voting to allow McCarthy to win, but they aren't playing ball. Rightly so.
    Considering the LONG history of republicans going out their way to be able to run to a camera as say "I did XXXXX ta own da libs"
    that all the dems have to do is show up and vote?

Please, I fully expect them to happily do their jobs
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Apparently in 1855/6, it took 2 months and 133 ballots to elect the speaker. Lets see if thy can beat that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Why on Earth would they do that?
    something something "being the better man" or "extending an olive branch" ignoring the GOP would only care about that branch in that it can be used to jab in a democrat's eye, then auctioned off for campaign funds
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "Democrats won't vote for us and it's not faaaaiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr." - A Republican on Fox News tonight, probably.
    I mean...it would be trivially easy for them to frame this as Democrats refusing to cooperate and allow them to get on with governance. Something something obstruction something something rabid partisanship something something.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I mean...it would be trivially easy for them to frame this as Democrats refusing to cooperate and allow them to get on with governance. Something something obstruction something something rabid partisanship something something.
    Honestly, genuinely curious how Fox will spin this. Are they going to go after the MAGA folks who are refusing to back McCarthy? McCarthy folks not backing uh...Jordan? Ignore the Republican dysfunction and focus on all the upcoming investigations into very serious matters like why Twitter kept taking down pictures of Hunter Biden's penis?

'Utter, Unmitigated Disaster’: Karl Rove Declares GOP Infighting on House Speaker Just Beginning as ‘Chaos Brings About More Chaos’

"I’m more interested in the horse-trading that went on beforehand, because my understanding is, is that yesterday, late in the day, late in the afternoon or into the evening, McCarthy made two concessions on the motion to vacate, where he had offered to allow such motions to take place if five members supported it. The Freedom Caucus people wanted one, he conceded,” Rove replied, adding:

They also wanted a special committee, church style committee, to investigate the weaponization of the Department of Justice and the FBI. And he agreed to let that happen.

But what’s interesting is after that, they moved the goalpost. Suddenly, they wanted to have Scott Perry made chairman of the committee and for Perry to be able to designate who the committee members were. No, no speaker has that authority. That has to be done by the committee on committees.

“In addition, they wanted Freedom Caucus members to be able to designate what committees they wanted to serve on. And then the Freedom Caucus wanted to give the speaker a list of subcommittee chairs that they would be able to designate the chairman for, which, again, is, you know, no group in the House that gets to be able to do that. The Black Caucus doesn’t get it. The Veterans Committee, nobody gets to be able to do that. That’s done by the committee on committees,” Rove continued, laying out the demands made on McCarthy.

"So they constantly are moving the goalposts. They are clearly, they wanted to set up a new entity. You know, there are specific rules on how you go about putting the House of Representatives on record to engage in outside litigation. They wanted to be able to have a separate committee that they would control that would have that authority in unto itself,” Rove explained, adding:

So these are extraordinary demands by the Freedom Caucus and both for personal power. Scott Perry to be the chairman of this high-profile committee, the Freedom Caucus members to be able to designate what committees they served on and so forth. It’s a pretty extraordinary list. And what was interesting was after after McCarthy had conceded on their two big issues, they came up with a whole bunch of other demands.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Damn, she's got jokes.
    I believe her though. She is, unity behind whatever gets her more power within the party, which means getting McCarthy elected Speaker. She's quickly found herself gone from "outsider" to "insider" and I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see her ratchet down her antics, specifically a lot of the legislative delay tactics that even pissed off Republicans over the past few years.

Oh, no, she swapped to Gym Jordan.

She even had this comparison...
    Oh derp, my mind read "Boebert" as "Greene".

Disregard, Boebert is just a dishonest cunt married to a pedo, who together created a shitty child.

Damn, she's got jokes.
    And by "unity" she means "unify and do what I want."

Disregard, Boebert is just a dishonest cunt married to a pedo, who together created a shitty child.
    Well she did make Christmas almost unlikeable

"The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

House adjourns with no Speaker

The House of Representatives adjourned Tuesday without a Speaker after three ballots for the gavel found no candidate with the majority.

Speaker nominee Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) lost 19 GOP votes on the first two ballots and 20 on the third ballot, leaving the conference in a stalemate on how to proceed.

It marks the first time in a century that the House has gone to multiple ballots for Speaker. In 1923, the Speaker election took nine ballots over three days.

The repeated failed votes for McCarthy were expected by much of the conference, particularly after rules change concessions and a heated House GOP meeting on Tuesday morning did not move any of McCarthy’s detractors or those on the fence.

The longtime GOP leader’s opponents coalesced around Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) for the second and third vote, despite the incoming House Judiciary Committee chairman supporting McCarthy and giving a floor speech nominating him ahead of the second ballot.

McCarthy, who remained stoic on the floor during the long voting process even as it became obvious he would lose, remains adamant he will eventually win the gavel.

“Remember how they all said they have this secret candidate? Their secret candidate nominated me, so where do they go now?” McCarthy said, referring to Jordan. “This can’t be about that. You’re going to leverage somebody for your own personal gain.”

“I’m staying until we win,” McCarthy added. “It will eventually change.”

McCarthy privately huddled with allies including Jordan and Reps. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) after the second ballot.

But the third vote saw an uptick in the number of McCarthy detractors, with Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) flipping to support Jordan after he voted for McCarthy on the first two ballots.

“My concern has been, like, look. It’s been two months, bro. You got to close the deal,” Donalds said, referring to the time between the midterm elections and the start of the Congress. “You got two months. And so at this point now is that if you can’t close it, we got to find who can.”

The only difference in Boebert and Greene are the states they represent and hair color.
    I still think someone should run against Greene and use the slogan "Don't vote for the crazy lady....vote for sanity. "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    House adjourns with no Speaker

The House of Representatives adjourned Tuesday without a Speaker after three ballots for the gavel found no candidate with the majority.

Speaker nominee Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) lost 19 GOP votes on the first two ballots and 20 on the third ballot, leaving the conference in a stalemate on how to proceed.

It marks the first time in a century that the House has gone to multiple ballots for Speaker. In 1923, the Speaker election took nine ballots over three days.

The repeated failed votes for McCarthy were expected by much of the conference, particularly after rules change concessions and a heated House GOP meeting on Tuesday morning did not move any of McCarthy’s detractors or those on the fence.

The longtime GOP leader’s opponents coalesced around Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) for the second and third vote, despite the incoming House Judiciary Committee chairman supporting McCarthy and giving a floor speech nominating him ahead of the second ballot.

McCarthy, who remained stoic on the floor during the long voting process even as it became obvious he would lose, remains adamant he will eventually win the gavel.

“Remember how they all said they have this secret candidate? Their secret candidate nominated me, so where do they go now?” McCarthy said, referring to Jordan. “This can’t be about that. You’re going to leverage somebody for your own personal gain.”

“I’m staying until we win,” McCarthy added. “It will eventually change.”

McCarthy privately huddled with allies including Jordan and Reps. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) after the second ballot.

But the third vote saw an uptick in the number of McCarthy detractors, with Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) flipping to support Jordan after he voted for McCarthy on the first two ballots.

“My concern has been, like, look. It’s been two months, bro. You got to close the deal,” Donalds said, referring to the time between the midterm elections and the start of the Congress. “You got two months. And so at this point now is that if you can’t close it, we got to find who can.”
    Shows how fragmented the Republican party is at the moment.

Funny junk;

Five takeaways from Tuesday’s McCarthy drama at the Capitol

1.) McCarthy didn’t come anywhere close to minimizing GOP opposition
    2.) Democrats stood together amid GOP drama
    3.) It’s a mystery how the stalemate gets broken
    4.) A dismal start for House Republicans
    5.) House adjournment before 6 p.m. paints trouble for McCarthy

His best, if perilous, route forward was to keep the House in session and hope fatigue and frustration would be his friends, increasing the pressure on his opponents.

Instead, Republicans have all night to ponder whether McCarthy really has a realistic shot at getting to the magic number of 218 votes.

If the answer to that is “no,” there is now time to try to plot out the road ahead and perhaps persuade someone, such as Scalise, to go forward as a compromise candidate.

Anyone else sort of hoping that McCarthy makes a deal with some Democrats that gives him votes in exchange for neutering the Freedom Caucus crazies? Or a "we'll give you the votes, but everything the Senate passes comes up for a vote in the House and the Hastert Rule is suspended?"
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Anyone else sort of hoping that McCarthy makes a deal with some Democrats that gives him votes in exchange for neutering the Freedom Caucus crazies? Or a "we'll give you the votes, but everything the Senate passes comes up for a vote in the House and the Hastert Rule is suspended?"
    I thought about that...no real political benefit though.
    No other serious contender for Speaker. So the Freedom Caucus will continue to appear the shit show it is the longer they drag things out.
    And that benefits everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would the Dems agree to that? Push McCarthy to find a dozen or so Repubs to support the Dem speaker option. Guarantee him bipartisan committee presence in return, but no say in who's picked from his side.

Or the Dems will happily wheel a popcorn machine into Congress and enjoy the show.

Or the so called sane republicans can vote for the Democrat nominee for some favours instead.