Thread: 2022 Midterms

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like McCarthy made a deal with the Freedom Caucus to win over more votes.
    McCarthy agreed to give Freedom Caucus the keys to the car on pushing for national debt default.

Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    McCarthy agreed to give Freedom Caucus the keys to the car on pushing for national debt default.

Problem he's facing now, is the 7 who didn't vote, at least 1 has actually said they'd rather Jeffries than McCarthy, which means McCarthy gave those keys on the easier votes...

If there's anything republicans love more than guns and making sure babies are born but have no support for them, its having stupid battles over the debt ceiling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next questions:
    1) Will the Freedom Caucus give the keys back when they're done? Or have they proven they now own McCarthy in every vote ever?
    2) Related, will McCarthy honor his word? He's a Trump supporter, after all.

10+ Year Old Account

The FreeDumb Caucus will likely also try to kill further assistance to Ukraine.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Next questions:
    1) Will the Freedom Caucus give the keys back when they're done? Or have they proven they now own McCarthy in every vote ever?
    2) Related, will McCarthy honor his word? He's a Trump supporter, after all.
    To win over the last hold outs, McCarthy will have to make a few more deals:
    • Must bang the gavel on his own crotch everytime.
    • Boebert gets to hunt him once a year with a tranq rifle in an abandonned mall.
    • Watch videos of Hunter's hog with his eyes taped open whiole listening to Beethoven’s 9th Symphony.
    • MTG's residence is declared a cocaine legal zone.
    • All GOP debutants must be presented once a month at Matt Gaetz's office.
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Problem he's facing now, is the 7 who didn't vote, at least 1 has actually said they'd rather Jeffries than McCarthy, which means McCarthy gave those keys on the easier votes...
    It almost certainly won't result in Jeffries getting the nomination...but it's deliciously fun to think about.

McCarthy loses 13th vote....

- - - Updated - - -

We are down to the original never 5 + Boebert.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    The FreeDumb Caucus will likely also try to kill further assistance to Ukraine.
    Fortunatly that is something Democrats will support so Yall'qaeda is not needed to pass that.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Fortunatly that is something Democrats will support so Yall'qaeda is not needed to pass that.
    The issue might be more complicated. If I understand the circumstances, McCarthy is getting elected with contingencies including a possible mechanic to remove him or revote on Speaker if he upsets some factions (I can't remember the exact phrase/term atm).

However, when McCarthy is chosen, you can bet he'll claim it proves how strong he is and how much power he has in building consensus.

I worry about them making good on their threat to hold the entire nation hostage with the debt ceiling and budgets to get what they want which it appears that McCarthy has already made concessions to go along with.

Allowing them to pass those bills with stipulations.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Question: What is there that forces McCarthy to hold to any bargain he makes with these clowns, as opposed to stating "I have altered the deal, pray I alter it no further" once he gets the role?

Quote Originally Posted by Locklen View Post
    Question: What is there that forces McCarthy to hold to any bargain he makes with these clowns, as opposed to stating "I have altered the deal, pray I alter it no further" once he gets the role?
    Most of the bargains will likely be codified in the rules for this session of the House.

The rest, apparently the Treason Caucus wants the agreements in writing. But I'm not sure if that will actually make any enforceable.

It's just hilarious because basically nobody actually trusts McCarthy, even knows he'll lie to get whatever he wants, and it seems pretty common knowledge that McCarthy doesn't even have any policy goals or aims. He just really wants to be Speaker after spending years working towards that goal. I mean, he even co-wrote a fuckin book about it! HOW MUCH MORE DOES A GUY NEED TO DO TO BECOME SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, ALRIGHT?!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    On that subject...

I can see them using it to cut social security and medicare or zero out funding for programs they dislike but can't destroy in general. Then blaming the Democrats when things go to shit on them because of it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Most of the bargains will likely be codified in the rules for this session of the House.

The rest, apparently the Treason Caucus wants the agreements in writing. But I'm not sure if that will actually make any enforceable.

It's just hilarious because basically nobody actually trusts McCarthy, even knows he'll lie to get whatever he wants, and it seems pretty common knowledge that McCarthy doesn't even have any policy goals or aims. He just really wants to be Speaker after spending years working towards that goal. I mean, he even co-wrote a fuckin book about it! HOW MUCH MORE DOES A GUY NEED TO DO TO BECOME SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, ALRIGHT?!
    Since the House can change its own rules at will and the democrats will happily vote to scrap a rule that causes issues with the debt its hardly binding McCarthy to make such concessions.

Since the House can change its own rules at will and the democrats will happily vote to scrap a rule that causes issues with the debt its hardly binding McCarthy to make such concessions.
    Yes and no. Rules aren't just going to change on a whim because McCarthy made bad deals and wants Democrats to bail him out (I'm not sure on how rule changes are handled midway through a session, honestly).

But at the same time, if he breaks deals he's made with the Treason Caucus they have every incentive to shit all over anything he wants done, and any normal order in the House.

It's just dysfunction, all the way down.

But at the same time, if he breaks deals he's made with the Treason Caucus they have every incentive to shit all over anything he wants done, and any normal order in the House.

It's just dysfunction, all the way down.
    I don't consider that a threat since I expect that to happen constantly regardless. The House is not going to get anything done in the next 2 years except maybe do a terrible job at Impeaching Biden just because they are salty.

The clowns are going to be on the rules committee as concessions because they don't trust mccarthy.

And another adjournment while McCarthy tries to sell out everything in his bid to become speaker.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    On that subject...

That involves a $75 billion cut to defence, which will not sit well with the war hawks.

Reportedly, some moderate republicans have reached out to the dems, saying that if MaCarthy gets the role, they will vote with the democrats to vote down the rules package being offered to the Taliban 20. Somehow I'm not sure they'd carry through with it though.

15+ Year Old Account

Guy's been looking for that One Piece for years so he can become King of the Prelates Speaker of the House.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"