Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    You'd be surprised.

They will inevitably start targeting things like contraception, gender affirming care (especially surgical), vasectomies and tube ligations and beyond that vaccines, especially the HPV vaccine etc.
    No, that's exactly what I expect. My point was that what you specified is the "beyond abortion" direction they'll go in, not the "make appendectomies illegal" that SoulForge suggested.

Iowa Supreme Court deadlocked three to three, leaving in place a lower court ruling blocking a 2018 state law that would prohibit most abortions after the sixth week of pregnancy. Which leaves abortion legal in Iowa up to 20 weeks. Interestingly, all six justices are conservatives and were appointed by GOP governors. They often rules unanimously even on contentious issues. So, this is quite unusual and rather unexpected decision by the high court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Iowa Supreme Court deadlocked three to three, leaving in place a lower court ruling blocking a 2018 state law that would prohibit most abortions after the sixth week of pregnancy. Which leaves abortion legal in Iowa up to 20 weeks. Interestingly, all six justices are conservatives and were appointed by GOP governors. They often rules unanimously even on contentious issues. So, this is quite unusual and rather unexpected decision by the high court.
    Guys, this is majorly fucked. If we all come out for this, our owners will be out of power for at least a generation. We'll have to rule on things like human decency. Let's do a 3-3 and let a lower court eat the shit. After the election we can revisit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

In news that is surprising to nobody...

Support for legal abortion rises a year after Roe v. Wade overturned-Poll

In what was surely a case of unintended consequences, the landmark Supreme Court decision one year ago overturning Roe v. Wade is putting abortion opponents increasingly at odds with public opinion and creating political perils for candidates on their side.

In a new USA TODAY/Suffolk University poll, one in four Americans say state efforts that have followed to impose strict limits on abortion access have made them more supportive of abortion rights.

The Dobbs decision, which removed access to abortion as a constitutionally protected right, elated the anti-abortion movement but its aftermath is helping boost support for legal abortion to historic highs and reshaping the debate over what has long been the deepest political wedge issue in the nation.

"I don't think it should have been overturned," Tanya Goodpasture, 53, of Independence, Missouri, said in a follow-up interview after being polled. A Republican who voted for Donald Trump in 2020, she expressed concern about abortion, especially after a fetus' heartbeat could be detected. But she added: "We're here to make our own choices and deal with the repercussions."

By almost 4-1, 23%-6%, those whose views on abortion have changed in the past year said they have become more supportive of legal abortion, not less supportive. That includes more women than men, more Democrats than Republicans, and more younger voters than seniors. The shift was pronounced among Black respondents. Almost a third, 32%, said they had become more supportive of abortion access in the past year.

And independent women, one of the most critical swing groups in elections, by 28%-5% said they had become more supportive of abortion rights.

The nationwide poll of 1,000 registered voters, taken by landline and cellphone June 5-9, has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

By almost 2-1, 58%-30%, those surveyed opposed the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.
    I guess time will tell if evil does indeed contain the seeds of its own destruction. Let them keep this among their rotation of talking points as 2024 comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Let them keep this among their rotation of talking points as 2024 comes around.
    It's going to be up to the Democrats to make sure they can't avoid it. Whether they will be competent enough to do that remains to be seen...

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's going to be up to the Democrats to make sure they can't avoid it. Whether they will be competent enough to do that remains to be seen...
    Considering how buggered Republicans got in the Midterms, I'd be shocked if that didn't translate into Dem gains in 2024 considering the GOP hasn't done anything to course correct its image. In fact, they've decided to just double-down on being the same unhinged weirdos that turned their 'red wave' into a wine stain.

Though I guess I'm just being optimistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Trump's Indictment will be taking up news cycles for as long as the court proceedings continue and I'd - also - be shocked if that doesn't put a bad smell on the GOP the same way Hillary's sham Email scandal did to the dems.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Considering how buggered Republicans got in the Midterms, I'd be shocked if that didn't translate into Dem gains in 2024 considering the GOP hasn't done anything to course correct its image. In fact, they've decided to just double-down on being the same unhinged weirdos that turned their 'red wave' into a wine stain.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Trump's Indictment will be taking up news cycles for as long as the court proceedings continue and I'd - also - be shocked if that doesn't put a bad smell on the GOP the same way Hillary's sham Email scandal did to the dems.
    I'd argue damn near everyone knows Trump is a crook and most Republicans don't care so long as he's their crook. Being liable for sexual assault didn't do much to his standing, so even an outright guilty verdict won't stop them from voting for him with the justification that it's all a witch hunt and it's actually the Democrat pedo sjw groomers and Hunter Biden's dick pics that are the problem.

Independent voters will likely be far more turned off, but Democrats have a lot of room to make mistakes by 2024 as well. Especially Biden who isn't exactly the most popular President ever. Underestimating Trump cost America the 2016 election, let's not do that one again please.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder however....is there something the GOP can do to "course correct"? because on this issue I don't believe there is. It's a core belief for them and their supporters that abortion is wrong so they can't "change their minds".

The best play in my view would be to not talk about that issue (which to my knowledge the majority of them have been doing) and deflect each and every time it comes up to another issue.... problem is no one is letting them do that right now so they are kind of stuck. Their best bet is to keep doing that until this issue fades into the background of the public's conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd argue damn near everyone knows Trump is a crook and most Republicans don't care so long as he's their crook. Being liable for sexual assault didn't do much to his standing, so even an outright guilty verdict won't stop them from voting for him with the justification that it's all a witch hunt and it's actually the Democrat pedo sjw groomers and Hunter Biden's dick pics that are the problem.
    This pretty much. Everyone knew before 2016 what a shitty person he was but the GOP voting public didn't care. A DEMOCRAT would have problems with their voter base. A Republican doesn't, for the most part. Al Franken was forced to resign because of a picture in which he simulated grabbing a sleeping woman's breasts even after he apologized and the woman in question forgave him. Trump bragged out loud about walking in on (underage?) teens dressing and grabbing women by the pussy and they love him more for it.

This issue, however, appears to be one that a lot of the GOP base are actually divided on--particularly those who are all of a sudden confronted with the consequences of their actions. One of them was quoted in the article I linked. Whether they are divided enough to hold their noses and vote for Trump again in 2024 or if they're scared enough about the repercussions of all-out bans on abortion and other associated women's healthcare we'll just have to wait and see.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    I wonder however....is there something the GOP can do to "course correct"? because on this issue I don't believe there is. It's a core belief for them and their supporters that abortion is wrong so they can't "change their minds".

The best play in my view would be to not talk about that issue (which to my knowledge the majority of them have been doing) and deflect each and every time it comes up to another issue.... problem is no one is letting them do that right now so they are kind of stuck. Their best bet is to keep doing that until this issue fades into the background of the public's conscious.
    I don't really think there's a way for them to course correct without destroying themselves. Like if they try and back down from the crazy talking points, they'll just get eaten alive by the whackjobs that make up a sizable chunk of their voting base, which we are already starting to see with the small split between Pro Trump and 'Maybe we should move on from Trump' crowds.

Otherwise they've just been leaning really heavy on their mouthpieces to poison the political discourse well and hope to get undecided voters on their side; which, again, didn't really work in 2022 but I don't think they have any other option if they want to retain power.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    This pretty much. Everyone knew before 2016 what a shitty person he was but the GOP voting public didn't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd argue damn near everyone knows Trump is a crook and most Republicans don't care so long as he's their crook.
    My point was less 'now everyone will know he's a criminal' because, yeah, him being a troglodyte didn't really hurt his polls in 2016, and more him being in the news all the time for being an actual criminal would be a constant reminder to the Independent and Undecided voters. Not saying to underestimate him - or deranged weirdos still holding water for him - just kinda keeping a look on the bright side.

My point was less 'now everyone will know he's a criminal' because, yeah, him being a troglodyte didn't really hurt his polls in 2016, and more him being in the news all the time for being an actual criminal would be a constant reminder to the Independent and Undecided voters. Not saying to underestimate him - or deranged weirdos still holding water for him - just kinda keeping a look on the bright side.
    Sure, I can get behind that. My hope is more that the Democrats don't go "well this is nice, Trump being Trump will win the election for us!" and actually get to work pushing for abortion rights and everything they're meant to stand for.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    I wonder however....is there something the GOP can do to "course correct"?
    They could start implementing policies that actually help people.

One thing I'll never understand for example is why conservatives are climate change deniers. Don't they want to conserve the earths lushes meadows as they were 6000 years ago when god created them? And even the cost argument is stupid because just imagine what kind of profits you can achieve by mandating every single building upgrading its heat insulation, by selling every single home owner a photovoltaic system, by building massive railroad networks just like in the good old Wild West.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

One thing I'll never understand for example is why conservatives are climate change deniers. Don't they want to conserve the earths lushes meadows as they were 6000 years ago when god created them? And even the cost argument is stupid because just imagine what kind of profits you can achieve by mandating every single building upgrading its heat insulation, by selling every single home owner a photovoltaic system, by building massive railroad networks just like in the good old Wild West.
    The simple answer is because conservatism in the US is largely a political front for moneyed interests that are directly opposed to the social and economic changes necessary in order to meaningfully address climate change. It is just the latest in a long series of events where right wing politics is harnessed as a political bulwark against reform.

As a response to the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, we got the development of modern conservative narratives about welfare queens.

As a response to Second Wave Feminism in the 1970s, we got the pro-life movement.

And as a response to environmentalism in the 1990s, we got climate change denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, this one kinda perplexed me. You’d think they would be more caring for “God’s Earth” but I think that’s more of a hippy thing and I’m convinced that the GOP want us to go back to the 50’s or the Roaring 20’s.
    The fundies don't give a shit about the planet because to them it's the lobby they have to wait in before getting into Heaven. That's the short and long of it; as long as their souls can party in the afterlife than the earth can explode for all they care.

Everyone else in the non-fundie camp are just being duped by folks who's profit margins would sink a li'l bit in the interim between moving away from fossil fuels and adopting clean energy. Because anything that stops their pursuit of infinite growth at any point for any reason is evil and must be crushed, even if it would be more financially viable in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

“God gave us the Earth to do with as we please.”
    Also
    “Weather disasters are caused by sin so the wicked must repent.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, this one kinda perplexed me. You’d think they would be more caring for “God’s Earth”
    Your forget that American Evangelical Christians are basically a real world Twilight's Hammer cult.

They believe the end of of the world is imminent and actively work to bring it about sooner.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The simple answer is because conservatism in the US is largely a political front for moneyed interests that are directly opposed to the social and economic changes necessary in order to meaningfully address climate change. It is just the latest in a long series of events where right wing politics is harnessed as a political bulwark against reform.

As a response to the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, we got the development of modern conservative narratives about welfare queens.
    Also the war on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    As a response to Second Wave Feminism in the 1970s, we got the pro-life movement.

And as a response to environmentalism in the 1990s, we got climate change denial.
    Note that none of these are independent initiatives. They are reactions. "Conservatives" are reactionaries, literally, they hate these things just because someone they don't like likes them.

So, what is one of the arguments the GOP is using to prevent abortion in their state? In Missouri, the argument is that they would miss out on future Medicaid funds due to said fetuses not being born.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...c82b452ae&ei=7

Missouri judge orders end to GOP officials' standoff over proposed abortion rights ballot measure

A constitutional amendment to restore abortion rights in Missouri will move forward after a judge on Tuesday broke a standoff between two Republican officials that had halted the process.

Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem ordered Attorney General Andrew Bailey to approve fellow Republican Auditor Scott Fitzpatrick's estimated $51,000 price tag on the proposal within 24 hours.

Bailey had refused to approve the price estimate, arguing that if the proposal were to succeed, it could cost the state as much as a million times more than that figure because of lost Medicaid funding or lost revenue that wouldn’t be collected from people who otherwise would be born.

But Beetem said Bailey has “no authority to substitute his own judgment for that of the Auditor.”

“There is an absolute absence of authority to conclude the Attorney General is permitted to send the Auditor’s fiscal note summary back to revision simply because he disagrees with the Auditor’s estimated cost or savings of a proposed measure,” Beetem wrote in his ruling.

A spokesperson said the attorney general's office will appeal.

If approved by voters, the proposal would enshrine in the constitution the individual right to make decisions about abortion, childbirth and birth control.

Missouri's Republican-led Legislature and Republican governor banned nearly all abortions after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last summer. The state now allows exceptions for medical emergencies, but not for cases of rape or incest.

In Missouri, the auditor is required to calculate how much taxpayer money it could cost to implement ballot measures. The attorney general then reviews and approves the cost estimate in an administrative step that historically has been uneventful.

Fitzpatrick’s office in March found that the proposal would have no known impact on state funds and an estimated cost of at least $51,000 annually in reduced local tax revenues, although “opponents estimate a potentially significant loss to state revenue.”

Bailey said that cost estimate was so low it would bias voters and told Fitzpatrick to change it.

Fitzpatrick refused, arguing that a multibillion-dollar projection for the initiative petition would be inaccurate, despite Fitzpatrick’s personal opposition to abortion.

“As much as I would prefer to be able to say this IP would result in a loss to the state of Missouri of $12.5 billion in federal funds, it wouldn’t,” Fitzpatrick wrote in an April 21 letter to Bailey. “To submit a fiscal note summary that I know contains inaccurate information would violate my duty as State Auditor to produce an accurate fiscal note summary.”

The standoff had blocked the secretary of state from allowing the pro-abortion rights campaign to start collecting signatures from voters. The campaign would need to collect signatures from 8% of legal voters in six of the state’s eight congressional districts in order to get the proposal on the 2024 ballot.

In his ruling, Beetem wrote that Bailey's refusal to approve the cost estimate meant that the abortion rights campaign lost out on 50 days of gathering voter signatures.

“His illegal actions have obstructed the statutorily prescribed timeline twice over, showing a depth of antipathy towards our right to direct democracy in an attempt to prevent Missourians from voting for their reproductive freedom," said Tony Rothert, director of integrated advocacy at the ACLU of Missouri. which represented a plaintiff from the campaign.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    So, what is one of the arguments the GOP is using to prevent abortion in their state? In Missouri, the argument is that they would miss out on future Medicaid funds due to said fetuses not being born.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...c82b452ae&ei=7
    I hate my state, but sadly I'm not surprised here. Missouri was one of the states pushing the whole, "We can't forgive student debt! Businesses would lose out on money they would eventually get from people paying off interest!!!" so this whole idea of, "Well, if you don't have those kids, then we lose out on money" isn't exactly shocking. I wish it was, but it isn't. The disgust I feel for this state is sometimes immense.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pre...-roe-rcna90415

On the anniversary of the Supreme Court ruling that overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, 6 in 10 voters remain opposed to the court’s removing federal protection of the right to abortion, according to results from a new national NBC News poll.

Nearly 80% of female voters ages 18-49, two-thirds of suburban women, 60% of independents and even a third of Republican voters say they disapprove.
    Unsurprisingly, the decision is still wildly unpopular. Especially with women, and really especially with younger women more likely to have long voting careers ahead of them.