Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I posted earlier in the thread the idea that player-to-player transactions over a certain amount, say 10,000 gold, could be subject to a 72-hour delay and cancellable by either side. That would be simple enough to code in fact. It wouldn't stop boosting but it might throw a monkey wrench into the gears.
    Nope, it would just push boosting payment outside of the game to RMT again.

I posted earlier in the thread the idea that player-to-player transactions over a certain amount, say 10,000 gold, could be subject to a 72-hour delay and cancellable by either side. That would be simple enough to code in fact. It wouldn't stop boosting but it might throw a monkey wrench into the gears. I can think of a relatively simple workaround for that (worthless auction house item for 150K gold) but it would add more complication to a process that would have already gotten complicated to manage on a large scale. And even this could be flagged easily enough by Blizzard. It's not an outright ban. I don't know that Blizzard actually wants to drive it from the game. Again with them: There are words and there are actions and the two don't match up. It's the Blizzard way.
    That sounds like a horrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only solution, as I look back at my old comment here, is that we remove user options from the LFG tool. In this case, boiling it down so people can only see what raid/dungeon that needs people, the difficulty, how many they have of each role, and what language they use. Then the LFG tool boosting spam ads problem is solved.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this isn't true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    I hope this isn't true.
    It isn't. It will be too big a risk to ban something that has been a big part of the community since vanilla.

They are, however, banning for the following actions:
    RMT boosting (Duh).
    LFG boosting ads (Though they need to up their game, for people don't care, they aren't harsh enough).
    Boosting advertisement with a non-participating character (this DOES strike the main account too, if they use the same payment details, or are merged).
    Excessive boosting advertisement in public channels (Spamming).
    Boosting advertisement through random whispers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It makes logical sense to gain an extra 10 million subs into gamepass. Once they reach 55 million or so they now profit from gamepass and have the biggest online userbase for gaming. It will only take them like 9 years to pay for the acquisition and they just need to keep 55 million or more.
    Except if WoW is added to Gamepass, Gamepass will cost them more, and given Gamepass is cheaper than a WoW sub, they'll need more than 55 million users to be profitable. It's a zero-sum game at that point, so why would they bother instead of just reaping the profits of WoW as it stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    No they are free to play with optional subs, WoW is not free to play, and those other games I legitimately did not remember existed until you brought them up. Removing the token is better for the health of the game in the long term and adding WoW to gamepass ultimate is a win for everyone. I garauntee if they moved current WoW players to a gamepass ultimate sub many of them would be far more likely to check out other gamepass games.
    WoW actually is free to play, up to level 20.

Adding WoW to Gamepass is a massive loss for MS, because they immediately start making less money(Because WoW subs are more expensive than Gamepass membership, not to mention token sales which make them even more money), plus people who've got a sub to both would cancel one, costing them more money, and then each game you play on Gamepass costs them money, so if you're a WoW sub who then tries out other games, you're costing them even more money.

Microsoft's best case scenario is you pay for Gamepass and don't play any games on there, or only play first party titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    Except if WoW is added to Gamepass, Gamepass will cost them more, and given Gamepass is cheaper than a WoW sub, they'll need more than 55 million users to be profitable. It's a zero-sum game at that point, so why would they bother instead of just reaping the profits of WoW as it stands?

Adding WoW to Gamepass is a massive loss for MS, because they immediately start making less money(Because WoW subs are more expensive than Gamepass membership, not to mention token sales which make them even more money), plus people who've got a sub to both would cancel one, costing them more money, and then each game you play on Gamepass costs them money, so if you're a WoW sub who then tries out other games, you're costing them even more money.

Microsoft's best case scenario is you pay for Gamepass and don't play any games on there, or only play first party titles.
    Introducing Microsft MMO GamePass: For just $25/mo you get access to all of Game Pass plus a subscription to WoW, ESO and everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post

You cannot experience WoW at level 20. It is a game designed around end game, those other titles need no sub to do end game.

They don't really lose anything as I said, they pull over all of those users and they still pay a monthly fee. Gamepass Ultimate is a sub people won't cancel when WoW has a lul, there are 100's of other games to play during a content drought which WoW has plenty of during every expansion including every other Blizzard game. So unlike currently with Activision where MAU's drop off constantly when content is slow you won't see that kind of attrition with Gamepass.

i mean, the current model to play WoW with zilch effort is:

1. buy a slew of boosts / carries / funnels at the start of a new raid tier until you have godly gear.
    2. turn around and sell a slew of boosts / carriers / funnels for the rest of the raid tier to make all of it back and show a massive profit.
    3. spend some of it to reboost at start of each new raid tier.

All you really need to do is make the initial investment, which is to buy a bunch of gold via wow tokens. You don't even need to play WoW game really. Its been this way forever. Actually playing the game honestly and gearing up by running with a guild and hoping each week that RNG is in your favor never worked.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    All you really need to do is make the initial investment, which is to buy a bunch of gold via wow tokens. You don't even need to play WoW game really.
    If you have the skill to sell boosts why would you spend a bunch of real money buying boosts? You can't turn that gold back into money later. That is why communities were banned because more often then not they started to deal in RMT.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If you have the skill to sell boosts why would you spend a bunch of real money buying boosts? You can't turn that gold back into money later. That is why communities were banned because more often then not they started to deal in RMT.
    initial whale action for permanent dominance in a video game for massive epeen.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    There we go with the same BS "since vanilla".

Just because maybe there was some boosting. It was the rarest thing in vanilla.
    I had 360 days played till midle of wotlk, was allways in the top guild in the server since vanilla.

The boosting started mostly in zul'aman timed runs for the bear.

If was so common as you guys prefer to paint that picture, maybe was just in some servers.

My experience with the game includes vanilla naxx and every other raid title/achievments/multi gladiator, all till wotlk naxx with immortal till I stoped playing the game.

Never saw that BS.

- - - Updated - - -

... on a side note.

The shame and disgrace of the minds of today gamers, that want stuff they cant do themselfs or got no skill for it.

The sense of acomplishment is gone.

Dam losers.
    Hard to believe you can be gladiator with that atrocious spelling and treating every sentence like a paragraph.

I had 360 days played till midle of wotlk, was allways in the top guild in the server since vanilla.
    I wasn't even in the best guild and we carried people through BWL when it was current content for a bunch of flasks.

Your guild did it probably too and you just didn't realize you carried a dude you thought was a trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Nope, it would just push boosting payment outside of the game to RMT again.
    If Blizzard intends to do what the thread proposes—and I'm not convinced that their heart is really in it—that will happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    That sounds like a horrible idea.
    Boosters would think so I'm sure. It's mostly a thought experiment for those who think it can't be done. The point was to show that coding something like that would be feasible. The simplest way to do to hit boosting would be to make it so complicated that it's less likely to happen. I'm pretty sure that boosting based on an ingame gold economy would take a hit if it had to move to discord and RMT.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-05-11 at 10:49 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

i doubt that blizz will do that.

with the token they sell the gold used for boosting. why would they remove the (probably) biggest incentive to buy that gold?

Boosters would think so I'm sure. It's mostly a thought experiment for those who think it can't be done. The way to do it would be to make it so complicated that it's less likely to happen. I'm pretty sure that boosting based on an ingame gold economy would take a hit if it had to move to discord and RMT.
    It would also needlessly hurt regular players. Fixing an "issue" by hurting your normal players is NEVER a good answer.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only way to stop boosting would be to depart from the FOMO-concept in wow gamedesign and make it harder to accomplish by the ones still doing it regardless ie. must be exalted in guild to trade loot/obtain mount etc.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    Sorry, but you can create turmoils while you did not intend to create them, so the simple process of creating a result does not contain intend. I have no idea if blizzard intended to create the boosting system, but obviously, up to now, they are not stopping it from existing. Did Blizzard intend the system? Probably not. Do they change anything to prevent it? No, beside limiting ads and cross realm, that toxic system is still in place.

It is not about boosting only, but also to stop casual gamers quitting after two months of playtime already. A progression system would give them something to do, way longer than nowadays. And those artificial time gates simply are no fun. There still could be special gear you only could get from raids but which also would mainly benefit you in raids. As like group buffs, group abilities that only benefit premade groups on sets. While you would get an as powerful set in world content, which would be still vertical, but with different uses. See pvp gear and pve gear. Actually, there is so much possible. Blizzard just should start to adress most of their players, and not minorities only with a working gearing progression.
    You can get double 291 legos, 246-259 tier, 252 conduits, and 246-259 gear in almost every slot (will truly be every slow in 9.2.5). The gap between a pure soloer and a mythic raider has never been smaller.

So all your talk of "blizz not making a progression path for casuals because they want people to buy tokens for boosts" is, like Relapses said, a conspiracy theory not grounded in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

There we go with the same BS "since vanilla".

So every city covered with corpses advertising their websites was "the rarest thing?"
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It isn't. It will be too big a risk to ban something that has been a big part of the community since vanilla.
    This is a bold faced lie and I'm really disappointed in you spreading misinformation.

Boosting was never part of the community since vanilla. It was always a black market, underground illegality. Nowadays it's promoted by Blizzard themselves because it directly influences token purchases.

you can destroying boosts if you remove all loot from bosses and gear is only acquired from the great vault. and vault rules would have to be tightened. yes i think that would work.