Anything better than Vsync ?

I want to have smooth gameplay as much as possible,but ill get fps drops sometimes in epic bgs,new zones with more people around,world boss quests and so on which makes stuttering,but if i turn off vsync my screen becomes choppy like im having 40 fps non stop.

In Nvidia control panel i got : on,adaptive,adaptive (half refresh rate),fast.What should i do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Popikaify View Post
    I want to have smooth gameplay as much as possible,but ill get fps drops sometimes in epic bgs,new zones with more people around,world boss quests and so on which makes stuttering,but if i turn off vsync my screen becomes choppy like im having 40 fps non stop.

In Nvidia control panel i got : on,adaptive,adaptive (half refresh rate),fast.What should i do ?
    Vsync only works on certain threshholds. Its alright if you have constant 60 fps but if you got less than 60 it automatically goes down to 30 fps.

Adaptive sync is the way to go but your monitor needs to support it. You need a monitor with either G-Sync or Freesync. Freesync is sometimes called adaptive sync. If you got that you can just turn it on in your Nvidia control panel and its active in every game. Remember to turn off V-Sync in games though.

Edit: Your GPU needs to support it as well. I think everything GTX900 series and above does support it.

Adaptive works fine with freesync that i have,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Popikaify View Post
    Adaptive works fine with freesync that i have,thanks
    that isn't freesync.

Freesync is like G-sync, you actively have to turn it on.

In this case, if you have an nVidia GPU, you will need to go into the G-sync section, and turn it on, under the "G-sync Compatible" setting - and youll need to be connected to the display with a Display Port cable unless you're using HDMI 2.0/2.1

Then turn all those V-sync Options OFF, and set a global framerate limit at your refresh rate cap (because G-sync will not prevent your GPU from trying to render more frames than your refresh rate, it just syncs the output of your card to the refresh rate when it is within the supported range.

Also, framerate dips in Epic BGs, capital cities, places with lots of players around (40+) or truckloads of active light sources will ALWAYS cause momentary framerate drops as they load in (and lower overall fps when you're there) because the number of Draw Calls is suddenly spiking by an order of magnitude. There is absolutely nothing you can do hardware wise to prevent this.

More powerful hardware (single-threaded, more cores will NOT help you) can mitigate it somewhat (the drops will not be as drastic) but you will never completely eliminate them, even if you had a 12900K with exotic cooling.