Thread: Willow..... 2?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Well, if you don't like LGBTQ+ characters in your shows - then yeah, just stop watching. That was really the only 'progressive' (?) thing I felt in the plot so far, that they exist.

To me, there's nothing in the original movie that says there are only straight people in this world, so the presence of non-straight people in the world doesn't phase me at all.
    I have absolutely nothing against the LBGTQ+ community. I'll risk the cliche, but my social circle includes many people in the community, each of the letters, in multiples.

Representation is about equality and fairness. But when the representation of a minority becomes a majority of what is represented, it starts making me second guess if the representation is genuine or if it is just puffed up pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    And it should surprise no one that Disney is making all their shows LGBTQ inclusive, they've been doing it for years at this point. Disney's entire child/morality message (since the 1940s) is about goodness and love and truth and accepting everyone for who they are. *shrugs* If that bothers anyone, they should probably give up watching anything Disney produces now.
    While I very much appreciate Disney telling stories of more and more cultures and communities over the passed couple decades, If you are interested, take a look at disney's racist history. They aren't as sunshine and rainbows as you may think. Disney has come a long way over the passed couple decades, but don't let that blind you from who they were before it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I'm enjoying the show but I also found the movie to be pretty dull. Something I probably would have really liked as a kid but doesn't really hold up as an adult.

I mean the female love interest turns against her evil mother because the secondary male lead confessed his love to her, which he only did because he was under the effect of a love spell but just kind of goes along with it when she decides to reciprocate those false feelings.

I mean it's a fun movie but hardly a timeless classic that should be protected from a modern follow up like it's Lord of the Rings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against the LBGTQ+ community. I'll risk the cliche, but my social circle includes many people in the community, each of the letters, in multiples.

Representation is about equality and fairness. But when the representation of a minority becomes a majority of what is represented, it starts making me second guess if the representation is genuine or if it is just puffed up pandering.

While I very much appreciate Disney telling stories of more and more cultures and communities over the passed couple decades, If you are interested, take a look at disney's racist history. They aren't as sunshine and rainbows as you may think. Disney has come a long way over the passed couple decades, but don't let that blind you from who they were before it.
    This is such dumb logic, you're basically saying all heterosexual representation is pandering because it's all you ever saw for the longest time but I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Also Disney was only ever as racist as everybody else was at the time. It's not like they were being racist while everyone else was just trying to get along. They've changed with the times just like every decent person tries to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I get the impression that they might have did a better job had they tried to adapt the "Shadowmoon" book.
    I used to own that trilogy. It's perhaps the worst bit of classic fantasy fiction I've ever read. And I only specify "classic" there to exclude Twilight from consideration. It's the most George Lucas thing I've ever seen (and that's not a compliment). As a pretty massive example, in the prologue, Willow decides his name isn't epic enough and renames himself Thorn Drumheller and you never hear anyone utter the name "Willow" ever again. There isn't any better reason for this. He's also a bit character; the protagonist is the now-teenaged Elora Danan, who's struggling with her magic powers, which don't ever come to enough of anything to really stand out against its peers as a magic system. The rest is just, like, super generic, even down to having Willow's people mostly being classic Dwarf smiths living in mountains, and his village is a weird group of outcasts. A lot of choices like that which just backtrack the interesting bits of the film and can it for aggressively-bland fantasy tropes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Also Disney was only ever as racist as everybody else was at the time. It's not like they were being racist while everyone else was just trying to get along. They've changed with the times just like every decent person tries to.
    At that time?

Didn't disney put the mask on T'chala in Black panther movie poster, and erased Finn from the start wars poster in China?

Disney, and all those big corporations only care about money, not about what you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I used to own that trilogy. It's perhaps the worst bit of classic fantasy fiction I've ever read. And I only specify "classic" there to exclude Twilight from consideration. It's the most George Lucas thing I've ever seen (and that's not a compliment). As a pretty massive example, in the prologue, Willow decides his name isn't epic enough and renames himself Thorn Drumheller and you never hear anyone utter the name "Willow" ever again. There isn't any better reason for this. He's also a bit character; the protagonist is the now-teenaged Elora Danan, who's struggling with her magic powers, which don't ever come to enough of anything to really stand out against its peers as a magic system. The rest is just, like, super generic, even down to having Willow's people mostly being classic Dwarf smiths living in mountains, and his village is a weird group of outcasts. A lot of choices like that which just backtrack the interesting bits of the film and can it for aggressively-bland fantasy tropes.
    So, still is better than the show? ykes

1+ Year Old Account

Ooof...bad argument. Certain people will just say that straight people were overly represented in all media for the past 300,000 years or so, and so it's logical that we see nothing but gay people for the next 300,000 years, to make up for it. It's not about Equality, it's about Equity.

Equality is when everyone is given a chance to ascend.

Equity is when you tear down people from the upper tiers in order to bring up people from the lower tiers, and since the tiers can't be equal because it's a tower, it means you are constantly tearing down people.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is such dumb logic, you're basically saying all heterosexual representation is pandering because it's all you ever saw for the longest time but I don't see anyone complaining about that.
    The majority of a countries demographic not complaining about their kind being the majority represented? Ya don't say?¿?

"I very much appreciate Disney telling stories of more and more cultures and communities over the passed couple decades"
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of a countries demographic not complaining about their kind being the majority represented? Ya don't say?¿?

"I very much appreciate Disney telling stories of more and more cultures and communities over the passed couple decades"
    It was bad enough that Disney filmed that terrible Mulan reboot in China and had the audacity to thank the government and people who were at that time also committing cultural genocide, in the freaking film credits. Disney as a company trying to preach morality and progressive ideology is kinda hypocritical considering they have no qualms with cutting progressive themes like gay characters out of their shows and films in order to sell them in the Middle East and China. Either stand by your beliefs or fuck off with them and stop trying to bash people over the head with them. I don't care if characters are gay or whatever so long as they are interesting, but being that way shouldn't be the entirety of their personalities either. Good characters have strengths and weaknesses and what makes them interesting is their ability to overcome their failures and weaknesses.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2022-12-23 at 01:55 PM.