View Poll Results: Is "I cannot make it to work because I cannot afford gas" a viable reason?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • Yes, employers should take this into account.

25 46.30%
  • Not a good excuse, time to budget better.

17 31.48%
  • Pineapples on pizza are not THAT bad.

12 22.22%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    clearly some of you do not live in the US to honestly think public transportation or walking is viable in even a fraction of this country. like have you people never heard of Houston?
    I'm reminded of recently news of a guy that ran out of gas in Death Valley and died a few miles walking in the heat.

10+ Year Old Account
    clearly some of you do not live in the US to honestly think public transportation or walking is viable in even a fraction of this country. like have you people never heard of Houston?
    Why is it not viable. I walked and taken buses. When I was a teenager in the early 90’s Both Minneapolis MN, U.S and Winnipeg MB Canada

It wasn’t fun or fucking convenient. But they work.

Houston is much bigger

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm reminded of recently news of a guy that ran out of gas in Death Valley and died a few miles walking in the heat.
    1. It’s called Death Valley for a reason

2. Nobody is commuting to work in or out of Death Valley
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Why is it not viable. I walked and taken buses. When I was a teenager in the early 90’s Both Minneapolis MN, U.S and Winnipeg MB Canada

Houston is much bigger

- - - Updated - - -

1. It’s called Death Valley for a reason

2. Nobody is commuting to work in or out of Death Valley
    There are literally places in America where THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSIT FROM YOUR HOUSE WITHIN WALKABLE DISTANCE at all.

Houston is much bigger
    so you admit they are not convenient (even back 30+ years ago, can't imagine it being any better now), so why are you excepting people to just naturally pick those?

Houston is far from the only place in this country built from the ground up for personal car ownership and nothing else, that's the problem.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-06-17 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are literally places in America where THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSIT FROM YOUR HOUSE WITHIN WALKABLE DISTANCE at all.
    Define walkable. Because a couple miles is walkable.

- - - Updated - - -

so you admit they are not convenient (even back 30+ years ago, can't imagine it being any better now), so why are you excepting people to just naturally pick those?

Houston is far from the only place in this country built from the ground up for personal car ownership and nothing else, that's the problem.
    Convenient it wasn’t convenient. Not everything caters to convenience and if a person can’t down grade, car Poole or bike then bus and walk.

Unless you’re physically incapable

Yes 30 years ago which means billions in infrastructure has been created since.

A couple of miles where? In what conditions? Are we talking "a couple miles" as in two? What about folks that live dozens of miles from their jobs because they can't afford to live closer?

Convenient it wasn’t convenient. Not everything caters to convenience and if a person can’t down grade, car Poole or bike then bus and walk.

Unless you’re physically incapable

Yes 30 years ago which means billions in infrastructure has been created since.
    I'm sorry, for some bizarre reason I don't think it's absurd for people to demand or expect to not have to go out of their way to just function in society.

and yes, the fact that physically impaired people exist is reason enough on it's own to disqualify this logic of "suck it up and walk". it's pretty ableist.

lmao you mean 30 years of doing nothing about updating our infrastructure. if you mean adding more lanes to the freeways.... yeah I don't think that really counts.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-06-17 at 11:47 PM.

This is hysterical. An acquaintance of mine has to drive 200mi round trip several times a week..
    There's a reason why traffic is shitty in every major metro area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A couple of miles where? In what conditions? Are we talking "a couple miles" as in two? What about folks that live dozens of miles from their jobs because they can't afford to live closer?
    Couple always means 2.

Ok say it’s a few miles 3-5. Obviously not Death Valley Conditions which would be truly exceptional.

But no downsizing car, no bicycle, no car Poole then yes bus and hoof it.

But no downsizing car, no bicycle, no car Poole then yes bus and hoof it.
    unless you live in an area without busses or walkable distance to your job, what about those parts of the country?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is hysterical. An acquaintance of mine has to drive 200mi round trip several times a week..
    There's a reason why traffic is shitty in every major metro area.
    200 miles isn’t reasonable during $2 gas prices. There is more going on then lack of fuel. Those are life choices

200 miles isn’t reasonable during $2 gas prices. There is more going on then lack of fuel. Those are life choices
    Look at all these life choices...

Those are life choices
    I'm sorry are you really trying to tell us average people are somehow responsible for how our infrastructure was built? almost a 100 years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    unless you live in an area without busses or walkable distance to your job, what about those parts of the country?
    Like in the country?

Again life choices if you live so far from where you work that non of those options are viable.

Then you’re plan isn’t sustainable in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    If you think automation can provide everything all the current humans need to keep their current lifestyles or even just basic necessities without a single human having to do actual labor you're quite frankly stupid. We're nowhere near that yet.

Ask yourself this: if all humans stopped working *tomorrow* what would we be without? How much less stuff do you think would be available?
    See this is what's called a strawman. You know that supporting some of the population while they don't work is viable, and that's the model of universal basic income. In countries where they basically have implemented UBI, most people still work. UBI isn't going to make everyone stop working. So the argument you made here is useless to this discussion.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at all these life choices...
    None of those people are driving 200 miles round trip daily.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry are you really trying to tell us average people are somehow responsible for how our infrastructure was built? almost a 100 years ago?
    100 years ago the U.S and states budget every year for it so yes.

Like in the country? Again life choices if you live so far from where you work that non of those options are viable. Then you’re plan isn’t sustainable in the first place.
    And when your job moves a 1000mi away you're supposed to uproot your family because big business tells you to.

Like in the country?

Again life choices if you live so far from where you work that non of those options are viable.

Then you’re plan isn’t sustainable in the first place.
    you and beepoo really cannot help but signal how detached you are from your fellow human beings. I cannot imagine being this callous and ignorant to the problems people face that is in fact no fault of their own.

most people do not have the means to just leave the places they were born. this isn't the 90's when you had what could be called a booming economy.

really just boomer take after boomer take in this thread. you live in such comfort you cannot imagine anyone else not being as comfortable in their position as you are in yours.

None of those people are driving 200 miles round trip daily.
    So? According to you they should all be walking anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post

Here's a hint: I'm 100% capable of shuttling those goods. I would never volunteer to do it. My personal sense of satisfaction and enjoyment comes precisely 0% from doing things for other people. Ergo, I'd like to spend 0% of my time doing things for other people out of the goodness of my heart. Stop being upset that the most capable and well-off people also seem fine with at least some amount of suffering of others before they're willing to take action because they're too busy being focused on their own lives and happiness to be bothered with that petty shit. I'm over here trying to have fun jet skiing and ignoring hardship :lol:
    There's a reason places like India, China, etc. have massive ghettos and are know for worker exploitation. I realize that you believe you'd be one of the lions in such an economy, but unless you're a secret millionaire posting on these forums, you'd be another sheep making 5 cents an hour in such a place. The only reason you even have a decent life in the west is because there's more compassion ingrained into our economy.

There are people with billions who could spend just a little bit of it to dramatically reduce human suffering. But rather than give out even a tiny fraction, they want NUMBER GO UP.

People with zero compassion are the reason the US is in a race to the bottom in terms of quality of life. As I said, we were once considered the gold standard for human welfare. We strived to be the best. Most people had a roof, food, etc. And for some reason the right and GQP thinks that human suffering is ideal, rather than being the model country for the rest of the world.

The saddest part of all of this is that there are countries who treat their citizens far better, and they have wealthy people as well who make lots and lots of money, and they're willing to pay taxes to have a happy society and productive workers (hint: it's been proven by about a few hundred studies that the healthier, happier, and more well off an employee is, the more productive they are). But again, you're in a race to the bottom. For some reason you want us to be the worst and not the best.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"