Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

New U.S. Political Party Being Formed - Forward, Aimed at Moderates on Both Sides

Group of Republicans and Democrats form new political party to appeal to moderates

Looking to grab "moderates" from both GOP and DNC parties for a viable 3rd Party in the United States. Could be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can tell right now, that it's not going anywhere. It might enjoy a bit of a surge and do decently at first, but still lose to the other 2 parties. Fast forward to the next elections, people remember it losing, and vote strategically for either GOP or DNC, and nothing has changed. Well, except maybe some minor policy changes for GOP and DNC, until it's comfortably the status quo again.

Appeal to moderates sounds like most of it's voter base would come from the DNC side, which would only help GOP.

I don't know, that doesn't sound particularly interesting. More scary than anything else.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-07-29 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I'm sure Ross Perot is cheering from his grave.
    ...meh, I don't know. Sure I still recognize Christine Whitman, but that other...David Jolly, a nobody from Florida? They need to talk a good game now.

a party meant to cater exclusively to a unicorn demographic sure is going to make it!

10+ Year Old Account
    A party of fence sitters...well isn't that special.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

It's a party without a platform, other than searing to be nice, and ignore enormous ideological differences. Their page reads like the speech given at a MLM pitch, or given by motivational speakers at a Marriott conference room.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree.

...If we weren't poised at a moment when one party of ersatz-fascists were teetering on the effective brink of either taking power or taking the slow train into oblivion.

Now isn't the time to split the vote, and I always bet more heavily on conservatives and their pet boogeymen issues to drive them to congeal around whatever slime their party puts up versus democrats to realize that any chance of progress rests first and foremost in preventing that slime from being elected.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    a party meant to cater exclusively to a unicorn demographic sure is going to make it!
    You do realize third parties are small because of the polarization, correct?

..Which is why this is always attempting to be addressed?

Also? There won't be any Republican party in 2050. I can guarantee that.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

what polarization is there for a bunch of upper middle class suburbanites? like, they are the exact class of people both parties have been catering to for the past 50 fucking years.

Joe Biden is president, the moderates are by all means in control at the moment. what the fuck kind of issues do these people have that leaves them thinking they are being left out?

we might not have a country by 2050, IDK what point you think this is supposed to mean.

Here is to hoping it is sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Group of Republicans and Democrats form new political party to appeal to moderates

Looking to grab "moderates" from both GOP and DNC parties for a viable 3rd Party in the United States. Could be interesting.
    It's made by Andrew Yang? Yeah, fuck him.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Democratic party is already moderate though. I would not trust Yang if he called himself a moderate. Remember when he considered himself a progressive? The man is a populist but bad at it.

Also think people confuse 'moderate' as it is on American political compass, with 'moderate', ones temperament. Maybe even confused with having a defined ideology vs not having one at all.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-07-29 at 02:21 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    If they do the work why not. If it’s just a grab from the National stage it’s going to fairly.

To establish a party takes time. You have to start from the ground level. Test against local campaigns. You have to always deal with in fighting and establish a core mandate that is credible and consistent.

Which is why current parties have issues.

Think of it like family even when or if at your core you share culture, ideas history. Individuals will always be individuals.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Which is odd, considering you're a Trump supporter. Are you hoping they rename it in his honor?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2022-07-29 at 02:35 AM.

What the fuck is a "moderate democrat"?

A Democrat more "moderate" than the current Democrats is basically a 80's Republican.

You know the whole let's do racist whistleblowing, uncontrollable military deficit spending, zero regulation, don't fund AIDS research because it's a gay disease, but keep talking about small government and liberty Republican.

Because if you're slightly uncomfortable with any of the things above you're just a plain old Democrat.

- - - Updated - - -

There are no political parties in Gilead. Only Gilead.

looking forward to them getting 0.01% of the vote. Maybe get Kanye in too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Moderating the left/right wings is good, and third parties should be welcome in politics. However we don't really need a third party to make more progress. The two party system works fine since you just need the encumbent party and an opposition party. That's all you really need for (non-violent) course-correction, which is the purpose of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Moderating the left/right wings is good, and third parties should be welcome in politics. However we don't really need a third party to make more progress. The two party system works fine since you just need the encumbent party and an opposition party. That's all you really need for (non-violent) course-correction, which is the purpose of democracy.
    I think the U.S is a pretty good example on how a two party system doesn't work at all.

First past the post kinda makes third parties mathematically irrelevant.

--Source: My 1000% useful Poli Sci degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    What the fuck is a "moderate democrat"?

A Democrat more "moderate" than the current Democrats is basically a 80's Republican.

You know the whole let's do racist whistleblowing, uncontrollable military deficit spending, zero regulation, don't fund AIDS research because it's a gay disease, but keep talking about small government and liberty Republican.

Because if you're slightly uncomfortable with any of the things above you're just a plain old Democrat.

- - - Updated - - -

There are no political parties in Gilead. Only Gilead.
    Moderate Democrats in the party (from my experience working in it) are normally white guys, older black men and women, and some building trade people. That's the moderate wing of the party. But I can say this they all really really don't trust conservatives at all.

I'll never forget once the head of a machine politic system once said to me:

"Every time you think you can cut a deal with a Romney, or a McConnell, a MTG comes along and tries to destroy that deal. Difference between our party and theirs: We actually talk to our caucus and try to work as a united team, and we generally like one another. The other side? Well they can just run to Fox News, or some big mega church if they don't get their way and primaries happen."

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be interesting.
    Sadly, it won't be. First, Duverger's Law will crush them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    First past the post kinda makes third parties mathematically irrelevant.
    That's pretty much the important parts of DUverger's Law. Second, the Party of Trump has chosen to make itself so distant from moderate concepts and in fact reality, this won't split them. And third, the head of the Party of Trump has openly attacked ranked choice systems -- I've posted on that personally.

After the Green Party in 2016, until Trump is dead or behind bars, third parties need to sit this one out. Barring a mass revolt between the classic Republicans and the Party of Trump, third parties only hurt the Democrats and therefore encourage fascism. The better move, until that happens if it ever does, is to let classic Republicans get so demoralized they stay home instead of voting.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I would say, if I were trying to gloss over that one of the poles literally supported torch-carrying Nazis and also directly led a murderous insurrection. Oh, and if I was part of that pole. I'd totally say this. You know, to deflect.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sadly, it won't be. First, Duverger's Law will crush them.

That's pretty much the important parts of DUverger's Law. Second, the Party of Trump has chosen to make itself so distant from moderate concepts and in fact reality, this won't split them. And third, the head of the Party of Trump has openly attacked ranked choice systems -- I've posted on that personally.

After the Green Party in 2016, until Trump is dead or behind bars, third parties need to sit this one out. Barring a mass revolt between the classic Republicans and the Party of Trump, third parties only hurt the Democrats and therefore encourage fascism. The better move, until that happens if it ever does, is to let classic Republicans get so demoralized they stay home instead of voting.
    Ugh Green Party people. When I would work the polls there would always be this one activist at this division and she was so far down the rabbit hole of conspiracies you'd think she'd be Alex Jones.