Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Us what shorthand you want for we have an excessive amount of labor far exceeding what would warrant a higher wage.
    The American economy is not laid on the bedrock of the wages paid for kitchen back staff and crop-picking.

The people complaining about wages not being high enough aren't just food service workers and other "unskilled labor positions," they're also college graduates who have a 40-hour a week job that requires a degree who are barely able to afford rent, let alone a house, or who avoid going to the doctor because medical bills are too high. The American Middle class is suffering as well, and it's not because someone with a different skin color than you'd prefer took a fry cook job somewhere. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Wealth is becoming more and more concentrated towards the top of the economic spectrum, and isn't "being wasted on the immigrants."

I'll ask you for a fourth consecutive time: Why do you think this is an issue caused by a tiny, impoverished minority with no political or economic power who have no direct control over wages, instead of by the extremely politically and financially powerful people who literally control how much they pay you? And you cannot, in an economy that touts mega corporations posting their highest earnings and CEO salaries ever, with any honesty argue that "well they just don't make enough money to pay people more!"

It's like you're blaming the stairs for breaking your back instead of the guy that shoved you down them. "Well if the stairs hadn't been there, then I wouldn't have broken my back when I got shoved!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

This is, "Because I say so, it is true." levels of thinking.
    He already said he didn't want to cite any sources "because it was so obvious"

Just like how the earth is flat, right? I mean, I look out at the horizon and I see it's flat. Why do I need to prove that? It's obvious!
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Again, that's simply not true. Unemployment lower than it's been in decades and the primary demand is for skilled labor in specific fields, not "unskilled" labor.

This is, "Because I say so, it is true." levels of thinking.
    Yes unskilled labor not being valued is my point...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The American economy is not laid on the bedrock of the wages paid for kitchen back staff and crop-picking.

The people complaining about wages not being high enough aren't just food service workers and other "unskilled labor positions," they're also college graduates who have a 40-hour a week job that requires a degree who are barely able to afford rent, let alone a house, or who avoid going to the doctor because medical bills are too high. The American Middle class is suffering as well, and it's not because someone with a different skin color than you'd prefer took a fry cook job somewhere. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Wealth is becoming more and more concentrated towards the top of the economic spectrum, and isn't "being wasted on the immigrants."

I'll ask you for a fourth consecutive time: Why do you think this is an issue caused by a tiny, impoverished minority with no political or economic power who have no direct control over wages, instead of by the extremely politically and financially powerful people who literally control how much they pay you? And you cannot, in an economy that touts mega corporations posting their highest earnings and CEO salaries ever, with any honesty argue that "well they just don't make enough money to pay people more!"

It's like you're blaming the stairs for breaking your back instead of the guy that shoved you down them. "Well if the stairs hadn't been there, then I wouldn't have broken my back when I got shoved!"

- - - Updated - - -

He already said he didn't want to cite any sources "because it was so obvious"

Just like how the earth is flat, right? I mean, I look out at the horizon and I see it's flat. Why do I need to prove that? It's obvious!
    A degree in what..?

Only useful degree I can think of that struggles at the start is engineering.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

A degree in what..?

Only useful degree I can think of that struggles at the start is engineering.
    Hi, you seem to have missed another part of my post. You've ignored it five times now, but I'm sure they've just been honest mistakes, instead of having to do something with the fact that you can cite even a single reputable source to back up your opinions, so I'll provide it for your convenience:

Why do you think this is an issue caused by a tiny, impoverished minority with no political or economic power who have no direct control over wages, instead of by the extremely politically and financially powerful people who literally control how much they pay you? And you cannot, in an economy that touts mega corporations posting their highest earnings and CEO salaries ever, with any honesty argue that "well they just don't make enough money to pay people more!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yes it isn't the singular reason nothing is. If you believe flooding the market with unskilled labor doesn't diminish the the value of the average worker though you are peddling absurdity.
    What market is flooded with unskilled labour?

Hi, you seem to have missed another part of my post. You've ignored it five times now, but I'm sure they've just been honest mistakes, instead of having to do something with the fact that you can cite even a single reputable source to back up your opinions, so I'll provide it for your convenience:

Why do you think this is an issue caused by a tiny, impoverished minority with no political or economic power who have no direct control over wages, instead of by the extremely politically and financially powerful people who literally control how much they pay you? And you cannot, in an economy that touts mega corporations posting their highest earnings and CEO salaries ever, with any honesty argue that "well they just don't make enough money to pay people more!"
    If you had to pay more for something when the same thing is available for cheaper would you pay more?

Labor is a good like any other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    What market is flooded with unskilled labour?
    This is a rather poor question but to try and answer it unskilled labor doesn't really have a specific market. It's most linked to construction and hospitality trades here but it's rather large in what it can encompass.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you had to pay more for something when the same thing is available for cheaper would you pay more?

Labor is a good like any other.
    That isn't an answer to my question.

Moreover, fortune 500 companies do not derive the large majority of their labor from "unskilled immigrant labor" positions. And the employees of these companies, as well as office and corporate jobs, are the ones complaining about low wages, long hours, the price of rent, housing and healthcare, etc, as well as the unskilled labor positions. Wages in all sectors has not kept up with inflation. And yet CEOs and corporations are still posting the aforementioned record profits.

And if you're going to claim that "the unskilled immigrants that companies pay less to flip burgers depress all wages, including skilled labor" then that's gonna require a big ol' citation, buddy boy.

And, of course, all of that could be ameliorated by things like raising the minimum wage, universal healthcare, free college tuition to give these "unskilled laborers" you detest more upwards mobility, shifting the tax burden to more heavily tax the upper class to increase revenue to pay for these programs while giving low and middle class people more money to spend, and an increase in unionization to fight employer low-wage collusion.

But you're not for any of those things, are you? Your political goals that you derive from your own unsourced interpretation of the matter... seem to begin and end at "keep out the brown people."

It's an easy policy for a politician to peddle to you because their nonspecific answer you imagine will solve your nonspecific problem, and they don't have to formulate any sort of actual policy, cite any data, or really even give you any concrete details. And why should they? You don't even ask that of yourself.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-08-15 at 06:15 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

That isn't an answer to my question.

Moreover, fortune 500 companies do not derive the large majority of their labor from "unskilled immigrant labor" positions. And the employees of these companies, as well as office and corporate jobs, are the ones complaining about low wages, long hours, the price of rent, housing and healthcare, etc, as well as the unskilled labor positions. Wages in all sectors has not kept up with inflation. And yet CEOs and corporations are still posting the aforementioned record profits.

And if you're going to claim that "the unskilled immigrants that companies pay less to flip burgers depress all wages, including skilled labor" then that's gonna require a big ol' citation, buddy boy.

And, of course, all of that could be ameliorated by things like raising the minimum wage, universal healthcare, free college tuition to give these "unskilled laborers" you detest more upwards mobility, shifting the tax burden to more heavily tax the upper class to increase revenue to pay for these programs while giving low and middle class people more money to spend, and an increase in unionization to fight employer low-wage collusion.

But you're not for any of those things, are you? Your political goals that you derive from your own unsourced interpretation of the matter... seem to begin and end at "keep out the brown people."

It's an easy policy for a politician to peddle to you because their nonspecific answer you imagine will solve your nonspecific problem, and they don't have to formulate any sort of actual policy, cite any data, or really even give you any concrete details. And why should they? You don't even ask that of yourself.
    I'm pointing out the realistic way labor works. Your proposition is run away inflation will help...somehow?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pointing out the realistic way labor works. Your proposition is run away inflation will help...somehow?
    Nothing Kaleredar described would result in "runaway inflation". There are countries which already do such things, and it hasn't caused inflation. You're still just blatantly making shit up that has no basis in reality, you may as well be talking about how flat the Earth is. Your position denies observable reality, it is not in any way "realistic". Which is why you can't argue against the analytical sources that prove you wrong, nor provide any that support a counterpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nothing Kaleredar described would result in "runaway inflation". There are countries which already do such things, and it hasn't caused inflation. You're still just blatantly making shit up that has no basis in reality, you may as well be talking about how flat the Earth is. Your position denies observable reality, it is not in any way "realistic". Which is why you can't argue against the analytical sources that prove you wrong, nor provide any that support a counterpoint.
    If you raise the minimum wage you don't increase buying power. You simply cause rapid inflation destroy what savings the middle class had.

You won't magic away the working poor till you move past a resource scarcity. You could maybe nationalize housing and food... I think in the long term that would turn catastrophic but it would actually accomplish something rather then setting off inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you raise the minimum wage you don't increase buying power. You simply cause rapid inflation destroy what savings the middle class had.
    This is such an obvious lie, as demonstrated by how said rapid inflation has never materialized, in the USA or any other country where minimum wages were raised over time.

It doesn't even make mathematical sense, since labor costs are a tiny fraction of what goes into pricing; past studies showed that, for instance, for McDonalds, a company with a fairly large entry-level minimum-wage employment model, raising wages to a $15 minimum would increase the price of a Big Mac a whopping $0.17, less than a 5% increase in price. Because even with McDonalds' relatively high labor costs, labor is a tiny fraction of their expenses, dwarfed by material costs, rentals, utilities, insurance, and so on.

The whole idea is just absolute nonsense and nobody credible argues it.

You won't magic away the working poor till you move past a resource scarcity. You could maybe nationalize housing and food... I think in the long term that would turn catastrophic but it would actually accomplish something rather then setting off inflation.
    Producivity is more than enough to eliminate poverty, in the developed world. It isn't a lack of resources that causes poverty. It's wealth distribution that focuses on giving most wealth to the elite few, regardless of the poverty created at the lower socioeconomic rungs.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-08-15 at 03:33 PM.

That's a nice hypothetical concept you've got there. Would be a shame if you had to engage it with reality and it all fell apart, as we've been telling you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see this is all the way around positive and I hope those who do it will do the actual work on every level. That said I have ZERO interest in joining this party at all. I am a left, I am liberal and I am for sure not about ever compromising with Trump supporters.

That said their middle of the road fence sitting ought to be interesting to watch.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I see this is all the way around positive and I hope those who do it will do the actual work on every level. That said I have ZERO interest in joining this party at all. I am a left, I am liberal and I am for sure not about ever compromising with Trump supporters.

That said their middle of the road fence sitting ought to be interesting to watch.
    The party needs a platform, first. And "going forward" is not a platform.

Jim Acosta: “How does the “Forward Party” feel about Roe v Wade?”

Andrew Yang: “The “Forward Party” has a—not left or right- but “forward” stance on even the most divisive & contentious issues.”

Jim Acosta: “What does that even mean?!”

Ahh, Andrew Yang really taking that centrist take of we don't take stands on anything and look for "consensus". HAHAHA!

So at start Yang claims he is for pro-choice rights BUTTTT, the party is about consensus. Again, WTF? In the video below is Acosta pushing back on other issues and Yang saying his buzzword consensus and getting people together.

Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Us what shorthand you want for we have an excessive amount of labor far exceeding what would warrant a higher wage.
    I think people of all backgrounds tend to over value their own worth and wok as it comes to jobs they'll do. I mean personally I am all for paying at least a livable wage where ever that is. There is truth concerning the lack of value when workers are in abundance, and considering the work ethic as if showing up and doing ones job is favor, yeah I can see why some employers are unwilling to change also.

In my view a job is never a Favor, it's a task that needs to be done and someone else is willing to trade for the best value for that work. Simple as that.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Jim Acosta: “How does the “Forward Party” feel about Roe v Wade?”

Andrew Yang: “The “Forward Party” has a—not left or right- but “forward” stance on even the most divisive & contentious issues.”

Jim Acosta: “What does that even mean?!”

Ahh, Andrew Yang really taking that centrist take of we don't take stands on anything and look for "consensus". HAHAHA!

So at start Yang claims he is for pro-choice rights BUTTTT, the party is about consensus. Again, WTF? In the video below is Acosta pushing back on other issues and Yang saying his buzzword consensus and getting people together.

Well I guess the Terminally Online Centrists finally have their own political party.

yangs latest position :

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yangs latest position :

God damnit, why does the Simpsons have to do everything first.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Forward Party Platform:

Whichever way the wind is blowing.
    The Party of Populace .
    Checkers.
    Baby with the Bathwaterism.
    Whatever our friends say.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is such an obvious lie, as demonstrated by how said rapid inflation has never materialized, in the USA or any other country where minimum wages were raised over time.

It doesn't even make mathematical sense, since labor costs are a tiny fraction of what goes into pricing; past studies showed that, for instance, for McDonalds, a company with a fairly large entry-level minimum-wage employment model, raising wages to a $15 minimum would increase the price of a Big Mac a whopping $0.17, less than a 5% increase in price. Because even with McDonalds' relatively high labor costs, labor is a tiny fraction of their expenses, dwarfed by material costs, rentals, utilities, insurance, and so on.

The whole idea is just absolute nonsense and nobody credible argues it.

Producivity is more than enough to eliminate poverty, in the developed world. It isn't a lack of resources that causes poverty. It's wealth distribution that focuses on giving most wealth to the elite few, regardless of the poverty created at the lower socioeconomic rungs.
    This is just absurd now...you are arguing there isn't clear inflation now? You can argue the tail is wagging the dog or the dog is wagging the tail but inflation chases wages.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a nice hypothetical concept you've got there. Would be a shame if you had to engage it with reality and it all fell apart, as we've been telling you.
    Shame it holds up over and over and over again. It falls under the " well it wasn't true communism line of thinking"

Raise wages get inflation. Be born eventually die. You can't have one and escape the other outside of fantasy.