Page 1 of 186
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Football Season 2022-2023

Welcome to the Football Season thread for 2022/2023, it's late as all heck, but we're live!

A few years back we introduced new rules that people happily followed, it cut down on the amount of moderation needed, which is good because after 10 years as mod here I'll be retiring after the world cup, and Crissi will be left to deal with you on her own.

But for any newcomers, a reminder on the additional thread rules:

1. All conversations must be generally kept on topic, while conversation naturally deviates, don't allow this to go more than half a page before taking it elsewhere, we have many subforums for different things better suited.

2. While memes are not banned, they must be football related, this rule is exceptionally loose and open to creativity. So if you can make it work, have at it.

3. Disagreements are fine, arguing is acceptable, insults are not. Keep it civil, and argue the points made, not attack the people making them.

4. Tragedies, or other serious matters regarding clubs, players, or other people surrounding the football world are not acceptable points of mockery, ridicule or banter. Keep that out of here.

5. In addition to 4. Wishing injury on players, coaches, referees etc is not acceptable. The reason being that such comments are provocative towards fans of other teams (or in the case of referees really just crass behaviour) and are little more than flame baiting. On the same note, sweeping statement insults against the fans of a club (for example X fans are all racist/Y fans are all violent scum) will not be tolerated.

6. Conspiracy theories are not permitted across the forums, if you wish to make an accusation, do so citing a credible source, preferably in English for the sake of moderation.

7. No links to illegal streams of games, or VPN sources to bypass regional blocking on legitimate ones.

8. Light hearted banter is to be expected here, however you're advised to not dish it out if you cannot take it. Reporting people for things that simply are not infractions, when you've made yourself fair game with your own comments will be ignored by the moderation team. Please stop cluttering our email inboxes.

This thread will run till Summer 2023 at the earliest, after that it will end on moderator discretion.

There will be a seperate thread for the Qatar World Cup in the winter (I know, it's weird to me too).

If anyone is organising fantasy or prediction leagues and wants their link at the top of this OP, PM me.

Have fun, and good luck to everyone who isn't playing Manchester United, otherwise I hope you lose... please lose, last year was hell.

- - - Updated - - -

And to kick this off, drop your top 4 league predictions, your relegation predictions and your Champions League/Uefa League predictions.

Any league folks, while talk is mostly PL based we do love hearing about other happenings in the world.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's start this off with how Barcelona are soooooo fucked, lol.

La Liga have rejected Barcelona's attempts to register 5 summer signings (Lewandowski, Kounde, Raphinha, Kessie, Christensen) and 2 contract renewals (Dembele, S Roberto). Club must raise more funds before league campaign gets underway in 8 days.
    I really don't get it. Everyone and their grandmother knows Barca are in financial trouble, why would you then sign for them? Lewandowski (for example) could have literally gone anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post

I really don't get it. Everyone and their grandmother knows Barca are in financial trouble, why would you then sign for them? Lewandowski (for example) could have literally gone anywhere.
    It's one of the most baffling things I've seen in football in recent decades to be fair, you leave one of the best ran clubs in the world in Bayern Munich, financially sound and guaranteed silverware to join a clusterfuck of a club with a reputation of not actually paying the players what was promised. Then you've got the issue with De Jong, wanting to leave yet they don't want to pay him £17m even when offered £60m, surely you'd take the 60, pay him 17 and keep the other £33m? but no.

I don't get what's stopping them registering players though, is it salary based? does that mean they have to sell 7 players or just lower the salary? no idea how Spain works.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    It's one of the most baffling things I've seen in football in recent decades to be fair, you leave one of the best ran clubs in the world in Bayern Munich, financially sound and guaranteed silverware to join a clusterfuck of a club with a reputation of not actually paying the players what was promised. Then you've got the issue with De Jong, wanting to leave yet they don't want to pay him £17m even when offered £60m, surely you'd take the 60, pay him 17 and keep the other £33m? but no.

I don't get what's stopping them registering players though, is it salary based? does that mean they have to sell 7 players or just lower the salary? no idea how Spain works.
    I think it's salary based indeed. They've been told they can't register their summer signings until they reduce their "financial outgoings".

5+ Year Old Account
    I think it's salary based indeed. They've been told they can't register their summer signings until they reduce their "financial outgoings".
    Just another reason why they want De Jong to go I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    In case of Lewandowski, he has a big ego. With Bayern he won everything, now he wants to put his name on other arguably bigger club. He wanted to be best paid player both in club and the league. Why he chose Barcelona is a mystery, he doesn't fit their playstyle. While he isn't talentless, he for sure is overrated, whiny bitch. You can already see Bayern never needed him and so far in pre season he failed to score in any of the games, gonna be fun to watch him warm the bench for most of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The Barca case sounds nuts, and now theyre about to sign Alonso from Chelsea too? What is going on here.

Also my predictions

Top 4
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Spurs

To win the CL? Imma say this may actually be City's year.

Uefa League? Uh...AC Milan.

Bayern will win Bundesliga (a brave prediction I know.)
    Real will win La Liga
    PSG will win Ligue 1
    Inter will win Serie A

I know very little about this, except they are in trouble, am I right in thinking at the start of summer they needed to have a negative spend, so sell more than they bought, then they went and bought all those players anyway and now they won't be able to play them?

Is that all the players they bought this summer?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow craven cottage is empty, I didn't notice it until I saw mitrovich celebrating but I don't think there is anyone at all in the stand behind the camera

10+ Year Old Account
    It always surprises me how small Craven Cottage is, that main stand is like 20 seats deep.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 points dropped by a lucky liverpool.
    An Karanir Thanagor

10+ Year Old Account
    League's gone. Good thread lads, let's wrap it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    I know very little about this, except they are in trouble, am I right in thinking at the start of summer they needed to have a negative spend, so sell more than they bought, then they went and bought all those players anyway and now they won't be able to play them?

Is that all the players they bought this summer?
    The short version is (and someone correct me if I get anything wrong, please): They've been in financial difficulty for years, and they're signing players left and right they can't afford to pay, meanwhile trying to get other players they haven't fully paid (De Jong) to leave without fully paying them. La Liga said they can't register their new signings without lowering their outgoing costs, so now they've signed 5 (maybe even 6 if Alonso gets signed from Chelsea) players they can't even play in their main competition.

As I said, if I got anything wrong someone please correct me, as I'm not fully following the situation. This is how I've understood it at least.

Chelsea looks extremely toothless.

The short version is (and someone correct me if I get anything wrong, please): They've been in financial difficulty for years, and they're signing players left and right they can't afford to pay, meanwhile trying to get other players they haven't fully paid (De Jong) to leave without fully paying them. La Liga said they can't register their new signings without lowering their outgoing costs, so now they've signed 5 (maybe even 6 if Alonso gets signed from Chelsea) players they can't even play in their main competition.

As I said, if I got anything wrong someone please correct me, as I'm not fully following the situation. This is how I've understood it at least.
    Thank you mate

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Chelsea looks extremely toothless.
    odd team bunch of midfielders with 10 goals in them but quite boring to watch. so they will win games but theres no league challenge there imo and defo no champs league. lot of 1-0's and at high risk of draws.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    In case of Lewandowski, he has a big ego. With Bayern he won everything, now he wants to put his name on other arguably bigger club. He wanted to be best paid player both in club and the league. Why he chose Barcelona is a mystery, he doesn't fit their playstyle. While he isn't talentless, he for sure is overrated, whiny bitch. You can already see Bayern never needed him and so far in pre season he failed to score in any of the games, gonna be fun to watch him warm the bench for most of the season.
    After the 2 first games (Super Cup vs Leipzig and first season game vs the Europa Cup winner Frankfurt) they beat 2 of the best teams in germany 11-4.
    Mane already plays like he belongs to Bayern for 2-3 years and scored twice.
    Defence looks more stable already and that without De Ligt.
    The rooster finally got some depth i bet we see some disgusting games during the CL group stage.

I hope Forest's result against Newcastle today isn't a sign of things to come.

Cue loads of patronising talking heads on R5 offering sage wisdom about the "pace" of the PL

Went to the Palace and Fulham games. Palace were wasteful. Arsenal were okay. Just a little more clinical than last year, basically. Fulham were unlucky, but fuck me did Liverpool behave like they should’ve just been given the win for most of the game. Ambling around the pitch like it’s still pre season. Almost bugged me because it came across as arrogant and entitled. Fulham deserved more respect.

I'm worried about today because Brighton at home is the exact type of game we've been bottling for the last years and when they play good they are capable of playing some good football. Just hope we have a good game and get the 3 points. Liverpool choking against Fulham yesterday at least means the spotlight is on them for now.

Also tired of the Ronaldo situation and I feel bad for Ten Hag because this will be the main focus of every press conference and the guy just wants to rebuild and make his own team. Was hoping we would have shipped Ronaldo off to Qatar or Luton or something by now but sadly his manbaby tendencies will shape the narrative around the club into this season as well.

Nothing new about Man U it seems. Also its odd seeing Eriksen in the Utd shirt.