Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Considering everything you know and wake up in the year 2122

Considering everything you know and wake up in the year 2122, and everything about where you are from. Think about the things now since you were born that are on they're way out or gone that were once huge and things that were nearly nothing hat have exploded in popularity.

In the year 2122 what are some things like Stores, Trends, or Items that are big today that will be a thing of the gone?

I think scripted TV or General Broadcast television will be long gone, I think also most of Hollywood.

What is at least one thing NOW that you think will be HUGE in 2122?

Some kind of Space Travel, I don't think we will be very far in our own solar system, but I am betting colonies and some kind of space stations will be a thing.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    One of a few options.

1. The global poverty rate (including in the west) will have soared and we'll be in something like Idiocracy though not as extreme or as funny, a world controlled openly by corporations and dumbasses. As evidenced by the megacorporation thread, there are all too many people willing to go to bat for oligarchy in the name of """Capitalism""".

2. It won't be too terribly different from today, just with perhaps some UBI and robots doing a lot more of the labor. No flying cars.

3. OR we're gonna go full 1300 CE Islam and most of the scientific progress man kind has made will be utterly destroyed by religious fundamentalist extremists.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    In the year 2122 what are some things like Stores, Trends, or Items that are big today that will be a thing of the gone?
    -Power plants and automobiles that run on fossil fuel.

-Manual driving.

-Mass meat production from slaughtered animals.

-Physical work. (Replaced by knowledge work)

-Coercion-based public schooling.

-Authoritarian governments.

There's a superior alternative to almost everything...

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    -Power plants and automobiles that run on fossil fuel.

-Manual driving.

-Mass meat production from slaughtered animals.

-Physical work. (Replaced by knowledge work)

-Coercion-based public schooling.

-Authoritarian governments.

There's a superior alternative to almost everything...
    Oh you never fail to disappoint, I remember the days when people said the internet would be a new dawn of collective fact knowledge and logical thinking for all of mankind. What we got is the comeback of flat earthers, Qanon and Anti-Vaxxers things that were mostly dead or considered crazy before are now mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Oh you never fail to disappoint, I remember the days when people said the internet would be a new dawn of collective fact knowledge and logical thinking for all of mankind. What we got is the comeback of flat earthers, Qanon and Anti-Vaxxers things that were mostly dead or considered crazy before are now mainstream.
    ...and PC2 believing these are reasons to be optimistic...

- - - Updated - - -

Underground mountain cities...and a reversal of living as people sleep during the sun-fired day, and go about business at night.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the big thing in 2122 will be the global environmental apocalypse.
    /s

Not that much really changes in only a hundred years. There would be a few new things but overall it wouldn't be a massive adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Not that much really changes in only a hundred years. There would be a few new things but overall it wouldn't be a massive adjustment.
    Huh? Are you saying that, for example, nothing much changed between 1900 and 2000? Really?

5+ Year Old Account
    I am hoping for electric self driving cars and robots that will clean the house so I don’t have to do it myself. Also for some ecological solutions to improve our climate and environment so we can live in a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Huh? Are you saying that, for example, nothing much changed between 1900 and 2000? Really?
    Not really no. The lions share was the computer that didn't come into effect till the 90s for most people.

Yes the world would be different and confusing for a bit but it wouldnt be entirely alien.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Not really no. The lions share was the computer that didn't come into effect till the 90s for most people.

Yes the world would be different and confusing for a bit but it wouldnt be entirely alien.
    Hmm, cars, planes, globalization, 2 world wars, instant telecommunication. Yeah nothing big I suppose

I think people will start to move toward existing in "sleep chambers" that will provide nourishment for the body and stimulate the muscles and provide anything that might be needed to keep the body healthy (something like in the film Surrogates). Then from these sleep chambers people will exist either in an online universe or in the real world via virtual presence devices, which will take all manner or forms.
    Last edited by caractacus; 2022-08-13 at 04:23 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    One thing that history and life in general has shown is that it's incredibly unpredictable, for better or worse. I always think of the old black & white future newsreels where they'd say by 1980 we'll be using flying cars, or The Jetsons life by 2020 living in flying homes. Likewise, if you asked someone in the 1800's to predict the 1900's, they'd have never in a million years dreamed how it went (WW1, WW2, airplanes, cars, computers/Internet, healthcare advances, nuclear weapons, etc.). All you can be sure of is that there will be a lot of good and bad, and hope for humanity that the good outweighs it.

But one easy call is that AI will be a 100x bigger part of our lives. Whether that ends up with us all like Wall-E, causing mass unemployment, or making our lives easier so we can spend our time focusing on other things - it will be the next transformational tech. Quantum computers/processors becoming household items would be a big life change too. But those are both more things that will be mainstream in the next 10-20 years rather than 100.

Quantum computers in 10-20? I doubt that.

I suspect there will be a lot less people on earth as by 2100 we'll probably hit the 5degree mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would feel like an alien in Outland... Azeroth jokes .

Really I think things are either much better or much worse.. depends on when we hit the tipping point. I don't much room for anything in between in a 100 years time. TEch wise maybe finally VR goes real mainstream
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So you deny that there is progress from generation to generation? Millennials seem more informed and less ignorant than their grandparents and their parents(Baby Boomers), who didn't grow up with the internet. 21st century people are more enlightened overall than 20th century people, imo.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-08-14 at 07:08 PM.

So you deny that there is progress from generation to generation? Millennials seem more informed and less ignorant than their grandparents and their parents(Baby Boomers), who didn't grow up with the internet. 21st century people are more enlightened overall than 20th century people, imo.
    You're foolishly confusing regression for progression. In much the same way a roller coaster moves. Just because it's moving forward doesn't mean it's going up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current generations aren't more enlightened. Most of them are being dictated by algorithms in stead of multiple sources. People nowadays are more likely to stay in their own little bubble.