Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    well duh. Trading would mean there is a possibility for someone else to make money on the game without blizzard getting a cut.

Really not that big of a deal. The only time it hurts is in an early D3 situation where an east path to quality character was buying from the AH. The problem wasn't the AH system or the lack of trading, it was the itemization and how drops were handled. Putting together a functional end game character took a long time for grinding because you found so much poorly itemized crap.

D4 not having trading won't be an issue if they carry forward smart itemization, that means strong item flexibility, power being more focused on build and play and not the items being the source of power.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mind the AH in D3, I just didn't like how streamlined itemization was in the game. Uniques/set items had virtually zero value in OG D3 until they buffed them and the drop rates were so bad that finding a good item was nearly impossible.

PoE for me is a double edged sword because while I don't mind trading, I also don't like trading either. If you watch PoE closely they're slowly bringing more QoL to the game and trying to smooth the edges of the more 'fringe' trading aspects in the game. Basically they like the trading aspects, but don't like the aspects of the game that all but require discord to trade with. While I don't mind giant discord dedicated to trading, certain systems in the game just feel bad because you couldn't bank them for later and getting value for them is pretty hard. It sort of takes away from the A in ARPG because you're effectively standing around trying to negotiate trades. Also trading for actual currency in the game is super fucking annoying. It's filled with price fixing, scamming, or just bots (which are good and bad because at least they will normally trade with you).

D2 for me is hit or miss but that's largely due to lack of filters in the game and the charm system in general. There's no true end game though in D2, so it's literally just hunting items just because. While trading items is fun, the frustration starts to set in when you realize most of the good items in the game are based around rune words and runes for the majority of players are just hard to find. Trading for runes isn't really fun and to get an accurate representation of worth you pretty much have to look super closely at discord sites or use D2JSP to see what a rune is worth so that you can calculate if what you're trading is fair value or not. It ends up getting messy and you're more or less losing .1 or .2 of a high rune, or gaining .1 or .2 of a high rune with each trade.

I was under the impression (unless these leaks are true) that they were intending somethings in the game to be traded, but not everything. I would surely hope to god that in party play at the very least you would be able to trade amongst your group members, as that would undoubtedly just be a worse version of D3. If they limit most of trading in D4 but have some value items you can trade I'd be okay with that (much like I don't mind trading somethings in PoE, but not 99% of things).

At the end of the day what sunk D3 more than anything else (and I still got value out of D3 mind you) is that there was virtually zero support for the game expect for like a couple patches in OG D3, RoS and then maybe a couple seasons where they actually added core things to the game. The itemization and customization is still pretty boring, and barely anything has changed since RoS was released (things like the cube being added were great changes mind you). D4 just needs to be deeper in all of those listed things to be fun, and actually uh... support the game post launch so you have a reason to come back every season. Adding double treasure goblins isn't a great example for a season.

Seeing as this is a leak from an F&F Alpha build I'd anticipate we get a gigantic Blue in the next month or so with the methodology and reasoning behind what can and cannot be traded in the game. It's possible they've already reneged on it as the reaction I've seen from most of the community seems overwhelmingly negative.

(Who am I kidding, Blizzard going back on a design choice from an Alpha build?)

Total control of your drops so Blizzard can use the algorithms to keep you playing like an old woman in Las Vegas sitting in front of a slot machine. I bought D2 resurrected a few months ago and enjoyed it because I got some help from people farming and dropping free items in "free stuff" games...so much for nice people helping you gear up to play with the high levels.

Good. Item trade just shifts the meta from actually playing the game to going to external websites and playing forum simulator, very likely with RMT as well.

D3 RoS with no trading of anything was awesome until they gave up on the game the last few years. D4 will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's the beauty of trading: You never actually have to! You can play an ARPG like PoE or D2 as long as you want and literally never trade with another person, even if the system exists to allow it.
    Yeah you could play that way in those games but it's extremely detrimental to your characters progression. Trading systems like PoE and D2 make trading the central pillar of progression. This really changes how people play and view loot in the game. I put up with it in D2 and PoE but I'd prefer not having it in.

The bolded is legit the core gameplay loop of the whole ARPG genre and it sounds like you want more of an MMO with ARPG trappings (a la Lost Ark, at least as a very high level concept) than an ARPG with some MMO elements. Which I guess is good news for you because that's what Blizzard seems to be working towards with D4 in general.
    ARPG is just a combat style. Loot systems and combat systems are separate for me. I want an ARPG that doesn't have infinite loot grind. There have been a few. There can be more. It might be a defining characteristic of DIABLO, which is why I hate diablo and don't play it. It's why I hate a lot of games and ultimately give up on them. Carrots are not enough to motivate me to play. I get frustrated because other people get lucky for doing the same thing I do and quit if it goes on long enough. I genuinely would love to just run things for the fun of running them without any other motivation. Would I get bored? Yes. But having something to chase doesn't make doing the activity any less boring if I'm already at that point. It just makes it tedious and eventually anger inducing. NEVER is it "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Total control of your drops so Blizzard can use the algorithms to keep you playing like an old woman in Las Vegas sitting in front of a slot machine.
    Exactly. I don't understand why people WANT to be this person rerunning the same thing for the 100th time. I'd rather feel satisfied and move on to a different game or have devs have to keep developing actual new content to keep their customers around. I suppose plenty of people are happy to just be doing something while feeling like they might get lucky because... they're trying to escape life and be distracted from their not-so-hot real life? I'm not that person; that's for sure.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-08-13 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    ARPG is just a combat style. Loot systems and combat systems are separate for me. I want an ARPG that doesn't have infinite loot grind. There have been a few. There can be more. It might be a defining characteristic of DIABLO, which is why I hate diablo and don't play it. It's why I hate a lot of games and ultimately give up on them. Carrots are not enough to motivate me to play. I get frustrated because other people get lucky for doing the same thing I do and quit if it goes on long enough. I genuinely would love to just run things for the fun of running them without any other motivation. Would I get bored? Yes. But having something to chase doesn't make doing the activity any less boring if I'm already at that point. It just makes it tedious and eventually anger inducing. NEVER is it "fun".

Exactly. I don't understand why people WANT to be this person rerunning the same thing for the 100th time. I'd rather feel satisfied and move on to a different game or have devs have to keep developing actual new content to keep their customers around. I suppose plenty of people are happy to just be doing something while feeling like they might get lucky because... they're trying to escape life and be distracted from their not-so-hot real life? I'm not that person; that's for sure.
    Very well said, the shallow, wash, rinse, repeat, grind is content made by lazy uncreative hacks or sad tools of the sociopath known as Bobby Kotick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    It was basically an early stage in-game NFT market and every company is now trying to figure out how to make it acceptable.
    No...it was literally just an auction house dude. Like, in every sense of the world, it was an auction house for gear.

That's the beauty of trading: You never actually have to! You can play an ARPG like PoE or D2 as long as you want and literally never trade with another person, even if the system exists to allow it.
    If the system exists drop chances would be changed to incentivize trading, so fuck trading.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    Everything that makes diablo "diablo" is effectively dead. This is just Diablo 3.5.....

Gotta say my excitement has completely tanked for this game.
    Pity... getting a great item for another class encouraged me to try that class.

If trading is allowed, then the game is designed with that in mind. That means you get loot you do not need for yourself because you are expected to trade it and that there are gear pieces that are extraordinarily rare since they are meant to be bartered. It absolutely affects players who do not wish to trade. The extent it affects them depends on how the devs approach it. It could be light and it could be minor. It could also be like D3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Really not that big of a deal. The only time it hurts is in an early D3 situation where an east path to quality character was buying from the AH. The problem wasn't the AH system or the lack of trading, it was the itemization and how drops were handled. Putting together a functional end game character took a long time for grinding because you found so much poorly itemized crap.

D4 not having trading won't be an issue if they carry forward smart itemization, that means strong item flexibility, power being more focused on build and play and not the items being the source of power.
    See, the itemization in D3 very much felt intentional. You counter scarcity through trading which makes them money.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-13 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly played Diablo 2 and 3 for the gameplay, not for trading items. I'd rather the gameplay has an endgame that supports progression instead of the players creating a patchwork to replace it through barter systems and endless grinds of boss runs that last a few seconds.
    This.
    Hell it might even be a good change if nips exploitative design in the bud.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Diablo 4 to have NO item Trading
    Big L if true

D4 gonna show up on race with PoE 2 with an arrow in knee

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post

But that what I like in the ARPG genre. Even if my character is powerfull enough there are still upgrades that can be chased. What you propose would make the game boring after like 30 hours while people play ARPGs hundreds of hours. And be real, theres no company in the world that could pump new content so often if you could get BiS in so short time and most people would end up hating the game.

I feel like you wan't just some sort of action game with loot rather than classic loot ARPG but I hope Diablo franchise will never go that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    In any game where there's loot it's crucial to be able to sell numerous loot pieces you've overgrown for currency(D2->runes) which you can then use to get that one desired item (enigma, griffon's eye), instead of focus-farming it for a decade.
    Any game with loot which does not allow this I will not play. So sorry to hear such stuff about D4.

You can trade items as long as you play together and even in a Guild later, at last there are buttons for it. I assume it gonna be like Warbands in Immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    Everything that makes diablo "diablo" is effectively dead. This is just Diablo 3.5.....

Gotta say my excitement has completely tanked for this game.
    It's a positive for me. I don't really play a game to trade items or manage inventories. I actually find it kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    In any game where there's loot it's crucial to be able to sell numerous loot pieces you've overgrown for currency(D2->runes) which you can then use to get that one desired item (enigma, griffon's eye), instead of focus-farming it for a decade.
    Any game with loot which does not allow this I will not play. So sorry to hear such stuff about D4.
    There could be a crafting system that lets you salvage materials out of old gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetdeal View Post
    You can trade items as long as you play together and even in a Guild later, at last there are buttons for it. I assume it gonna be like Warbands in Immortal.
    Let's hope not, Warbands are universally hated on Immortal.