Help With Weird Freezing Issue

Hey everyone.

Don't know really where to post this aside from offical wow forums with possibly tech support, but as I can't make a post there since the forums seem to have forgotten I have characters above level 10 on a 17 year old account... Yeah seperate issue there and a ticket has been made in game for that one as well. But the main problem, which is preventing me from playing the game is the following.

The game keeps freezing for me, but chat still works, and I can still move around (client visual only not server side). The only thing that fixes it is closing wow and re-opening it. After which the game is fine for a random amount of time. Could be 10 seconds, could be 5 minutes. But it always happens again.

Googling this I have found plenty of other people having made posts about the same issue over the years, but none of them seem to have an actual solution that works. Just the typical, re-install, turn your router off, firewall etc etc. Found posts on blizzard forums, where blue posts literally just repeat that same stuff never acknowledging that this has been an issue for random players off and on for years.

^ example v

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...nd-chat/183355
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...move_and_chat/

Does anyone here actually know what is happening here? What kind of weird disconnect it is and why it's happening and then how to fix it?

Apologies if there is or has been a thread about this, I got tired of finding old ones where people got flamed for necroing them, so I figured I would just make a new one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Googling this I have found plenty of other people having made posts about the same issue over the years, but none of them seem to have an actual solution that works. Just the typical, re-install, turn your router off, firewall etc etc. Found posts on blizzard forums, where blue posts literally just repeat that same stuff never acknowledging that this has been an issue for random players off and on for years.
    Have you actually done what they suggest or because no apparent root cause has been found you dismissed it?

Are you on a cabled connection or WIFI?

You should at the very least change your router to something else, as a test. I bet that solves it

10+ Year Old Account
    What you are describing sounds like something I've once experienced which was actually due to an addon.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by brigada View Post
    Are you on a cabled connection or WIFI?

You should at the very least change your router to something else, as a test. I bet that solves it
    WIFI. What do you mean by change my router to something else?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    What you are describing sounds like something I've once experienced which was actually due to an addon.
    Yeah I had an add-on do something similar at one point as well. Not this time. No add-ons right now. I just resubbed so I immediately disabled all my add-ons

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    WIFI. What do you mean by change my router to something else?
    Try an ethernet cable instead of Wifi, or if that fails try replacing the router (with a different router)

Wow uses both TCP and UDP for it's connection. If parts of the game are still working (like chat), while others seem to no longer work (like server side positioning, usually followed by a disconnect), then in all likelines your connection to the internet was shortly gone and it severed the TCP connections (while the stateless UDP connections are still intact).

It can have a myriad of reasons why this is happening, problems on the internet provider side, problems with the router, problems with the windows network stack (somethings broken, some "network optimizer" that optimized setting too much), problems with some firewall/antivirus or simply some malware.
    The only way to analyze the problem would be to try a fresh windows with a fresh wow installation and see if this works (or alternatively play on a different PC/laptop in your network and see if it also happens on that computer). If it doesn't then somethings wrong with your PC, if it does then the issue is the router or provider.

5+ Year Old Account
    Try to disable add-ons and delete WTF folder. Check graphic drivers too.