Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Velma on HBO Max.

Has anyone watched the new Velma cartoon on HBO Max? Is it really as bad as people say?

10+ Year Old Account
    Every video reviewer that checked this show said its a waste of time and braincells.

Its a show made bad on purpose so people talk abauth it and watch it to increase engagement.

I will link you a few ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IcyXFNmVwY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abiwNtfw3rg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZodID30lp9E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2e919M5Tw

My suggestion is -- dont watch it.
    If you want quality i recomend Star Wars: The Bad Batch or The Legend of Vox Machina that came out not that long ago (season 2)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Velma is hatebait woke garbo that also goes out of its way to insult woke people. There is not an ounce of Scooby Doo in that show.

I'm frankly not sure even the producers know who that cartoon was made for.

outside of absolutely destroying an existing set of characters, its just not funny. the jokes dont land very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Velma is hatebait woke garbo that also goes out of its way to insult woke people. There is not an ounce of Scooby Doo in that show.

I'm frankly not sure even the producers know who that cartoon was made for.
    Conspiracy theory out there that it was made to bring the political ideologies of the left and right together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    outside of absolutely destroying an existing set of characters, its just not funny. the jokes dont land very often.
    They come up with anything new nowadays. Everything is just IP ripoff. Getting tiring and even Hollyweird is starting to notice.

The writer worked on The Office, so I would have to imagine she's smart enough to know this was the only way this show was going to pan out. I think people are mostly catching on that the series was meant to be rage bait meant to attract viewers simply to hate watch it. It would not bode well for anyone if this becomes more of a trend.

I was never interested in Scooby stuff in the first place, so I wasn't going to watch anyway... but MAN people are raging hard about this. Tons of people suspect it of being an online engagement metric scheme intentionally designed for hate-watching and widespread controversy - whether or not that's true is up for grabs. Personally I find it a little specious of an argument, but I also know that metrics can be weird these days and viewer numbers alone aren't all that people are looking for anymore.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Show's mediocre but that's about it, no where near as bad as people are pretending it is.

Really it's like a slightly worse Clone high but with Scooby doo characters instead of historical figures.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

The best way I can describe it is its another show with Scooby-Doo characters layered on top. It's just a bad show though, not so bad it's good, just bad. Maybe it will get better but I only watched because it was Scooby-Doo but like I started, it's not actually Scooby-Doo.

I've heard some people say that the show was made to be as bad as possible to get people to hate-watch it.

I think people SEVERELY overestimate the intelligence and decision-making abilities of corporate executives.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Conspiracy theory out there that it was made to bring the political ideologies of the left and right together.
    Possible, but everybody (save for some crazies on the right) hates sexual harassment, so having Mindy "Tell anyone and you are fired" Kaling run the show and voice the main character is probably not going to unite a whole lot of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    I've heard some people say that the show was made to be as bad as possible to get people to hate-watch it.

I think people SEVERELY overestimate the intelligence and decision-making abilities of corporate executives.
    Yeah, I don't get that logic. I haven't watched it and have no desire too. A Scooby Doo based show without the dog is stupid in the first place.

I have seen clips, and it is clearly not something that I would be into. Like seriously, it doesn't even seem to be trying.

And honestly, this feels more like "Hey, people like edgy adult reboots of things, like do one for Scooby Doo universe!" like a complete discounnect.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

From what I've seen and heard the show was made from the ground just to piss people off. They took a beloved IP and turned all characters into an unrecognisable mess (Fred a spoiled rich kid who doesn't know how to do the most basic things, Daphe is an Asian drugs dealer, Velma turned black and acting insufferable, Shaggy also turned black and is renamed to Norbit, Scooby is not even in this). The humor looks like modern Family Guy levels of cringe.

Why even make a Scooby Doo show out of this instead of making something new? It just screams hate baiting and if it really was their intent then apparently its been doing well. Not that I'm that interested into Scooby Doo anyway as the last thing I watched from them are the James Gunn movies from back in 2002. I also rode a few attractions based on their IP which were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Havent watched it... from the trailer I knew I wasnt gonna dig it and so I saved myself the time, I aint got time to hate watch something.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Velma turned black and acting insufferable, Shaggy also turned black and is renamed to Norbit,
    Velma is brown not black and Shaggy has been named Norville since the 80's Shaggy is just is middle name.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Velma is brown not black and Shaggy has been named Norville since the 80's Shaggy is just is middle name.
    They missed a big opportunity to keep him as shaggy and have him voiced by the rapper Shaggy and then say 'it wasnt me' at every opportunity :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    They missed a big opportunity to keep him as shaggy and have him voiced by the rapper Shaggy and then say 'it wasnt me' at every opportunity :P
    Heh that would be far better meta humor then what they actually did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    The writer worked on The Office, so I would have to imagine she's smart enough to know this was the only way this show was going to pan out. I think people are mostly catching on that the series was meant to be rage bait meant to attract viewers simply to hate watch it. It would not bode well for anyone if this becomes more of a trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Morbious was "so bad you have to see it." Cats was "so bad you have to see it." Both of those movies still flopped spectacularly.

You know what gets more views than an appallingly bad show? An actually good show.

I, personally, have better things to do with my time than watch bad TV shows. And with so many good TV shows out right now, I imagine most people feel the same way. And people can and do actively hate on things they've never seen. Quite easily, in fact, such that requiring one to "hate watch it" to accurately complain about it also seems like a misinformed idea.

Sometimes things are just bad, and there's no grand conspiracy around it. Shows cost millions of dollars to produce and distribute; studios aren't just going to be errantly whipping that kind of money around out of morbid curiosity to see if they can reverse-psychology their way into an ironic hit.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2023-01-23 at 12:56 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It was written by the least talented person on The Office. And with The Office having Bj Novak and Craig Robinson that is a scary thought.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Morbious was "so bad you have to see it." Cats was "so bad you have to see it." Both of those movies still flopped spectacularly.

You know what gets more views than an appallingly bad show? An actually good show.
    I think the point was more that the game is changing, and that viewer numbers aren't everything. Social media buzz and other engagement numbers are increasingly important to companies - possibly more so than the actual viewer numbers, given the many ancillary industries involved.

So even with lower viewer numbers, generating enough buzz around the platforms could be a value proposition worth pursuing.

Of course whether or not that's ACTUALLY worth it and whether or not that's ACTUALLY what the show was going for, that's up for debate. But it's not like it's something outrageous with no conceivable rationale.