Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It sounds like everyone is happy
    They're not, actually.

The asylum seekers are happy that they're being taken care of, but not happy they were used as human political weapons.

Locals and the state are happy to help, but none of them are remotely pleased by Republican dumping asylum seekers on them without warning that would allow them to prepare services for them.

Immigrant rights advocates and lawyers are not happy that these asylum seekers sure seem like they were either kidnapped or human trafficked by Republican governors, including one who appears to have printed out fake pamphlets impersonating an agency from another state filled with actual lies and was handed to asylum seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    By help and support do you mean busing them off to the poorer districts to get them back out of sight and mind?

Lifting people out of poverty is a noble goal but it isn't all that noble to just ship them off and make them someone else's problem. Everyone involved is an asshole.
    This you trying to both sides this shit around 4 hours ago?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/d...flight-effort/

Let's go to Ron's word salad!

When Biden is flying these people all over the fruited plain in the middle of the night, I didn’t hear a peep out of those people, I didn’t hear a peep
    Biden personally?!

All the same, it's the federal government that has the authority to handle immigration related issues and interstate travel. Nice nod to the "fruited plain", though.

Also if he hasn't heard a peep, he hasn't been paying attention. Advocacy groups have been critical of the current process for a long, long time.

I haven’t heard a peep about all of the people that have been told by Biden that they can just come in.
    Because this didn't happen.

They’re going, they’re being abused by the cartels, they’re drowning in the Rio Grande.
    They are. Yet they still make the trip knowing the dangers. You'd hope that would engender some compassion, but I guess not from Republicans.

You had 50 that died in some shed in Texas.
    Actually it was a truck trailer, but yeah that was a travesty. I'm not sure what that has to do with US immigration policy though.

I heard no outrage about any of that.
    Holy fuck Ron DeSantis may have Alzheimer's. That or he genuinely doesn't pay attention to literally any media reports.

I have heard no outrage about all of the fentanyl that’s coming over the border that’s killing Americans in record numbers.
    See fucking above. You have to be in a coma or living in the woods with no connection to society to hold this view.

I don’t hear outrage about the criminal aliens that have gotten through and have then victimized people not only in Florida but all throughout the country.
    See fucking above. Also, hasn't he complained about this? So did he forget he complained about it?

I didn’t hear anyone getting upset until you had 50 that end up in Martha’s Vineyard. Then you have people get really upset.
    Yes, because you lied to the migrants and sent them as human political weapons, without warning Martha's Vineyard first so they could prepare to receive them.

They were provided an ability to be in the most posh sanctuary jurisdiction in the world, and obviously it’s sad that Martha’s Vineyard deported them the next day
    Lies, lies, lies, and more damned lies. They were not "deported", they were transported to a military base for temporary housing as that was the best place to provide basic services for them.

They could have absorbed this, they chose not to.
    They fucking did. They took care of them and found better accommodations for them while the asylum seekers work on getting to their final destinations. They're not couch surfing in random folks living rooms, they have friends/family they'll be staying with.

What it shows you is that if 50 is a burden on one of the richest places in the country, what about all of these other communities that have been overrun with hundreds or thousands?
    If he wants to have a discussion about federal funding for immigration services, he should be. And he should be going to Washington to complain to Reps/Senators about this. And he should be constantly speaking with his own states House members and Senators telling them to spearhead this.

It's not a "burden", they simply don't have facilities to provide necessary services.

The community was not given advanced notice and consequently couldn't prepare to receive them.

Reminder: Republicans would deport Jesus if he showed up at the border. They are happy to weaponize vulnerable human beings and exploit them like this for political gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Reminder: Republicans would deport Jesus if he showed up at the border.
    One of the Venezuelans caught up in this bullshit was named Mr. Nazareth. And you don't have to dig very hard to see the parallels in him being helped by "Martha."

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/20/mig...neyard-lawsuit

The undocumented migrants flown to Martha's Vineyard last week filed a class action lawsuit Tuesday against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other Florida officials.

Driving the news: Lawyers for the migrants say some were given misleading information promising cash assistance, employment services and housing assistance "at some point during their expulsion and relocation." Axios has reached out to DeSantis' office for comment.
    And yes, the asylum seekers who were lied to by DeSantis and provided false information about housing and job prospects, are suing DeSantis and other FL officials involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.axios.com/2022/09/20/mig...neyard-lawsuit

And yes, the asylum seekers who were lied to by DeSantis and provided false information about housing and job prospects, are suing DeSantis and other FL officials involved.
    Did we get further confirmation that their info was being filled out with random place of residence info, seemingly to ensure that they'd be in violation by not being in the same state any more?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/la...195612823.html

Because that shit's way beyond just a little dishonesty and human trafficking among friends.

This shouldn't be resolved by civil suits. It should be resolved by a few dozen criminal arrests. Including DeSantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Did we get further confirmation that their info was being filled out with random place of residence info, seemingly to ensure that they'd be in violation by not being in the same state any more?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/la...195612823.html

Because that shit's way beyond just a little dishonesty and human trafficking among friends.

This shouldn't be resolved by civil suits. It should be resolved by a few dozen criminal arrests. Including DeSantis.
    Haven't seen anything backing that up yet, but if it exists then people need to go to jail. The absolute fuckery going on around this and the literal use of these human beings as nothing more than political tools to "hurt the libs" is so beyond gross.

Media need to stop treating shit like this with kid gloves. Sit DeSantis down and ask him why he's not working more closely with Florida House members and Senators to push for legislation to overhaul and improve our immigration system. Push for more federal funding and assistance to help communities bearing the brunt of the initial processing of asylum seekers. Go to fuckin DC and start lobbying other members of Congress and the White House.

Ask him why instead of doing any of those things that actually indicate a desire to resolve the situation with respect for human lives (you know, that thing they say matters so much from the moment of conception), he's treating asylum seekers as political weapons and why his administration is both lying to them and not giving communities advanced notice when he sends them.

Media need to stop treating these Republicans as serious, well-intentioned individuals acting in good faith.

DeSantis is doing good work, migrants should be shipped with priority to wealthy areas and to areas where there are none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    I'm getting real tired of the current GOP and their fucking gaslighting.
    "But the Martha's Vineyard citizens are the real racists"

Dude if I had a nickel for every time I've heard/read that on social media . . . I'd be laughing at how poor Jeff Bezos is.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
    DeSantis is doing good work, migrants should be shipped with priority to wealthy areas and to areas where there are none.
    You seem lost. The Klan meeting is thataway.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you empty-platitudes bot. I know we can always count on folks like you in these trying times.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    You seem lost. The Klan meeting is thataway.
    Why? Because I want them to live in wealthy areas instead of migrant slums?
    It's no different than the EU wanting to split migrants between countries equally, it's something that should be strived towards worldwide.
    Last edited by Ted Mosby; 2022-09-20 at 09:22 PM.

Why? Because I want them to live in wealthy areas instead of migrant slums?
    It's no different than the EU wanting to split migrants between countries equally, it's something that should be strived towards worldwide.
    No, it's because you want them "shipped" places, as if they are cargo of some sort.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s/10436238002/

Reports that a plane carrying migrants was heading to President Joe Biden’s home state of Delaware sowed chaos across three states on Tuesday and brought public condemnation from the White House.

State officials mobilized. Community groups stood by to help. Reporters and camera crews staked out airports.

But the plane – and the migrants – never showed.

"We have no reports of anyone arriving at this point," said Jill Fredel of the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services after officials waited for hours for the plane to arrive at Delaware Coastal Airport in Sussex County.

The confusing drama was the latest chapter in an ongoing spat between Biden and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that has captured headlines and put a spotlight on Biden's border policies.
    So this is literally just about wasting peoples time, and taxpayer dollars, just because Republicans want to troll and create chaos.

Fuck them. I'm sorry decent people stuck in Florida, but I'm increasingly on #TeamFuckFlorida and saying that the federal government should just abandon the shithole and cut off federal funding if this is how their elected officials are going to act.

Republicans have exactly zero desire to govern.

Ok. Places such as Delaware need to take action. Arrest and detain these people dropping them off. Now these people are just working Joe's, yes. They need to seize vehicles and whatever. Even if in the shade of legality, let the courts sort it out. That's what DeSantis and Co. are attempting.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Ok. Places such as Delaware need to take action. Arrest and detain these people dropping them off. Now these people are just working Joe's, yes. They need to seize vehicles and whatever. Even if in the shade of legality, let the courts sort it out. That's what DeSantis and Co. are attempting.
    Seriously, Desantis' coyotes shouldn't be allowed to return. They should be in jail cells awaiting prosecution for human trafficking. As should DeSantis.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/16/us/ma...age/index.html

More bad news for DeSantis and people who care about the laws (not DeSantis) -

The budget language that appropriated the money for Florida's migrant relocation program would not permit two flights this week, for which Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has claimed credit, or the relocation of some of the migrants recruited for them, CNN has learned.

Two planes carrying about 50 migrants arrived at Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts earlier this week. The DeSantis' administration had secured $12 million in the state budget to pay for migrant relocation, and the governor had repeatedly threatened to use the money to send them to liberal strongholds.

DeSantis said he arranged for the two flights which landed in Massachusetts, but the migrants had actually been in Texas.

Florida's migrant relocation program, according to the budget language which DeSantis signed into law, says the program should move migrants who are "unlawfully present" in the United States "from this state," meaning the flights from Texas to Massachusetts would not have been covered by the budget, language and anyone relocated as part of the program was not legally allowed to be in the US.

Martha Vineyard's airport director Geoffrey Freeman said Wednesday's flights originated in San Antonio, Texas.
    So...he took migrants that were not in his state...and were also here lawfully as they are awaiting court dates on their asylum requests.

He even flew them out of TX, he didn't relocate them to FL first.

And CNN spoke with more than a dozen migrants on the flights, who also affirmed they were transported from San Antonio, not Florida. They also said they were Venezuelan citizens seeking asylum and applying for refugee status, and showed CNN court papers for future asylum determination proceedings.

Federal law, cited in the Florida budget language, dictates those migrants who have future asylum determination proceedings are lawfully present in the US until a federal judge makes a determination otherwise.
    More on the asylum seekers being here legally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Arrest and detain these people dropping them off.
    I mean, it is literally human trafficking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I mean, it is literally human trafficking.
    "Did you know you had migrants in your truck?"
    "Yes."
    "Were they pressured or manipulated in any way to get into the truck?"
    "Well, yes."
    "And what federal jurisdiction did you have once you left Texas/Florida's borders?"
    "Well, none."
    "Prosecution rests, your honor, as they've confessed to every necessary element and have no defense."

This is super fuckin' clear. It's not really even up for debate; any prosecution would just be connecting the handful of obvious dots forming a very clear picture, and the only defenses anyone could raise would be "I was following orders", and we stopped accepting that as an excuse after 1945. Well, really before, since none of those defenses were tolerated at Nuremberg.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only defenses anyone could raise would be "I was following orders"
    If they are willing to testify (pref. with emails or the like) that DeSantis gave them their direct orders, then yeah, let them plea bargain.

This is super fuckin' clear. It's not really even up for debate; any prosecution would just be connecting the handful of obvious dots forming a very clear picture, and the only defenses anyone could raise would be "I was following orders"
    Ah, I think you've failed to consider one crucial factor: "But...Biden."

The info I'm seeing is some of these charter services of course have political connections. So shocking, likely corruption. Just your plain everyday corruption of funneling money to donors or friends.

To emphasize here. Seize these assholes vehicles, assests, ways to do business in their state. Screw their rights. See what the courts say.

Maybe seizing vehicles and assests stops these businesses from taking the risk.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-09-21 at 12:23 AM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!