Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Blizzard giving out free playtime?

A few years ago every now and then blizzard gave out 3-7 free game days, does anyone know why they stopped it ?

It was given out as a compensation if the game had been unplayable or otherwise fucked up.

Blizz don't give out compensations anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    they did that in response to servers/realms being down for extended periods of time, most of them happened right after a new expansion launch, and the realm instabilities that came with them. Blizzard has perfected their art over the years and maintenance isn't what it used to be or nearly as long. they really have no reason to do it anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    i do remember that 5 days or so we got short after wod launch
    game was so bugged and glitched it was impressive honestly

Stockholders and investors complained about losing profit margins so they stopped doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Blizz don't give out compensations anymore.
    Literally same was said about Blizzard back in WoD until they gave out free game time. They'll if game is unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFancy21 View Post
    A few years ago every now and then blizzard gave out 3-7 free game days, does anyone know why they stopped it ?
    They gave out free game-time due to many reasons such as (from my experience)
    - Extended maintenance.
    - Unstable servers.
    - Game errors make it unplayable.
    - Game-time extension if you weren't able to buy game-time until the latest 3-4 days.
    - I was given some game-time by a GM once for helping catch 50 bots in one day (I was getting help with another ticket when I saw a swarm of bots running past me, and I told the GM who teleported to me to handle it right away).

And they most likely stopped because we haven't had severe maintenance issues for a long time, and we hardly talk directly to a GM unless there truly is something shitting going on or your ticket is more complicated than the basic ones they get for the AI. They will still if their game truly becomes a need for extended fixing/maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    Stockholders and investors complained about losing profit margins so they stopped doing it
    I doubt it, mate, if so, then it was never made public, for I have not heard such a complaint during the calls being marked.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Last time I got some free playtime was 2016 after contacting the CS team and asking if there was any available. They also gave me a free cinder kitten pet.

I feel those day's are long gone, but worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soriz View Post
    Last time I got some free playtime was 2016 after contacting the CS team and asking if there was any available. They also gave me a free cinder kitten pet.

I feel those day's are long gone, but worth a shot.
    The last for me was during BFA. Due to Mastercard errors, I couldn't pay my subscription until after the weekend (this was a Thursday), so they added a few extra days for me.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Wrong. Nobody complained so let's stop the conspiracy theory nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    They gave out free game-time due to many reasons such as (from my experience)
    - Extended maintenance.
    - Unstable servers.
    - Game errors make it unplayable.
    - Game-time extension if you weren't able to buy game-time until the latest 3-4 days.
    - I was given some game-time by a GM once for helping catch 50 bots in one day (I was getting help with another ticket when I saw a swarm of bots running past me, and I told the GM who teleported to me to handle it right away).

And they most likely stopped because we haven't had severe maintenance issues for a long time, and we hardly talk directly to a GM unless there truly is something shitting going on or your ticket is more complicated than the basic ones they get for the AI. They will still if their game truly becomes a need for extended fixing/maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it, mate, if so, then it was never made public, for I have not heard such a complaint during the calls being marked.
    That is because it never happened. He complately made it up. His sources? Dude, trust me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    That is because it never happened. He complately made it up. His sources? Dude, trust me.
    Yeah, could believe that.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last year they gave me a couple days when I told them I wanted to buy a token but gold was in my alt guild bank
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Last year they gave me a couple days when I told them I wanted to buy a token but gold was in my alt guild bank
    I have experienced that too before.

Quote Originally Posted by Julmara View Post
    i do remember that 5 days or so we got short after wod launch
    game was so bugged and glitched it was impressive honestly
    How bad was it? Never played WoD

They didn't stop because of that. There just haven't been any legal reason to do so. Many countries, especially within Europe has certain customer/consumer protection clauses that if service (in this case WoW subscription) is unavailable/unusable for X% over time they'd be legally obligated to compensate. They compensate this not because of goodwill but to avoid lawsuits from consumer protection organizations.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

If you haven't been subbed in a while you can ask for 1 or 2 days of gametime to try game out/buy token etc. My brother did that a month or so ago and he was granted 2 days.

Other than that I haven't heard of any freebie game time in a long while.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge5307 View Post
    How bad was it? Never played WoD
    you where stuck for multiple hours at quest objectives
    for example only one player at a time could interact with some quest objectives
    there where also massive sharding issues where you would not phase into a quest specific phase
    and of course uber lags and many dcs

last time i got some free days was in WoD when you was stuck in Garrison for like 1-2 days. So many players stuck at the same spot, same time. I think was also why they did this ''phase'' thing so many ppl would not be in the same spot and the same time etc.

The free days given to everyone for server issues stopped when the Activision takeover happened, you can still get individual ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Utok View Post
    The free days given to everyone for server issues stopped when the Activision takeover happened, you can still get individual ones though.
    They also gave them out during WoD.