Does playing other games make you toxic because of League?

Hi there!

I've noticed a common trend among my friends that the more toxic ones have a history of playing League for years. This is surprising to me as they are toxic on all games including Stardew Valley, 7 Days to Die, Project Zomboid, Gloomhaven, and a few more. So for the people who've been playing league for years, does league make you toxic?

...you know games don't usually make you toxic the person is toxic around the game

also HOW IN THE EVER LIVING FUCK DO YOU GET TOXIC IN STARDEW VALLEY

MOBAs definitely condition you to play the blame/flame game. Most people who play Dota or LoL take it WAY too seriously and they forget that it's not only a game, but a team game.

The reasons for this are varied and complex; some think they're going pro (because of all the emphasis on e-sports) and can't stand the feeling of being "held back" by others. Some are just dumb incels who need outlets for their frustrations. Others have severe maturity and entitlement/control freak issues and it leaks over online, where there's little consequence for their behavior. Some are simply insecure and want to fire the shots first before they're targeted.

Ranked Public Games are a nightmare more often than not. The only way to avoid toxicity is to play with friends, but it sounds like you're hanging out with people who are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...you know games don't usually make you toxic the person is toxic around the game

also HOW IN THE EVER LIVING FUCK DO YOU GET TOXIC IN STARDEW VALLEY
    TLDR: Friend micromanages everything from optimizing gifts given to NPCs to having a planned out weekly schedule in order to complete the game 100%. He becomes a bit snobby when I ask for what to do by saying go to the stardew wiki or "Do X because (insert semi-condescending comment such as use common sense). Friend is also a former league player reaching high diamond every season too and stopped playing a few years ago

- - - Updated - - -

The last part was very relatable, I'm playing with friends of friends from the league of legends university club and wondered if their behavior was normal or an outlier. Anyway thanks for replying and the advice!

Me and my friends have been playing League of Legends for three years, I can't call myself toxic in this game, I'm more or less calm, but my friends are. All the time yelling and foul language, well, I'm used to it, but others not so much. And this toxicity of friends has transferred to other games, especially Counter-Strike. Even when a friend plays worse than his ally, he will still say that we lost because of allies. He had a low elo in the game, but thanks to these guys: https://boostingworld.gg/faceit-boosting he was able to raise it. And now he's bragging to everyone and blaming his allies. That's how toxicity goes from one game to the next.
    Last edited by LiamTes928; 2022-11-25 at 02:50 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 55phral View Post
    Hi there!

I've noticed a common trend among my friends that the more toxic ones have a history of playing League for years. This is surprising to me as they are toxic on all games including Stardew Valley, 7 Days to Die, Project Zomboid, Gloomhaven, and a few more. So for the people who've been playing league for years, does league make you toxic?
    YES.

League definitely brings out the worst in people. Sure, sure some people are more likely to be toxic than others, but the game DOES make people mad. I myself quit League years ago for exactly that reason, it actively made me angry, not happy.

I've never experienced rage like I have playing League of Legends. I'm normally a super calm person but man that game made me SCREAM.

Fuck that game.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2022-11-22 at 07:31 PM.

Hi there!

Actually playing lol made me calmer. Switched mindset for not caring how bad my teammates play (still applause good game) and ONLY focusing on my own game and shortcomings. Yes, that last TF was bad because i do x and y and died like an idiot.

Felt like a little revelation lol

Riot is so far responsible for "toxic" as they invented calling players toxic.
    They failed to find solutions for people sabotaging games so they simply put the blame players to wash themself of all responsibility.

Yeah, I'd agree tbh.

I had some friends who picked up League during MoP, waiting for WoD to happen. They were always super chill friendly people.

Roll on WoD and they were -horrific- during raids, to the point where they were kicked a couple of times for being nasty to other players.

I've definitely had some great fun playing League with friends and my brothers and things, but if your mental strength is even a bit wobbly that day, steer clear or it'll devour you.

I think the term toxic, might be newer than MOBAs themselves. This type of behavior was going on in WC3-Dota. The only nice part about that game was the person who created the game, could kick folks who were intentionally doing that. And to be honest, it was a much more fair system as it generally was not abused. If someone on the other team was being insanely rude/toxic/feeding, alt-tab to your game creation app, kick that person, then kick a corresponding player from your team to make it even. It was done a lot, and ironically enough, I can't remember many, if any times it was ever abused.

I think as the internet has grown, players/people have become more comfortable being disrespectful to people they don't know, because they know nothing can be done about it. I still practice don't say over text what I wouldn't say to them in person.

I'm old, and we used to go to LAN centers because none of us could afford a Pentium 3 with an $800 video card in high school. When you're there playing Quake or Half life 1, or Dota with a bunch of folks you don't know in person, you typically aren't going to mouth off as they're 10 feet away and there would be actual consequences.

In short, it's not mobas to blame, its anonymity. And no consequences for their actions. Banning a free account doesn't do shit. I'm all for games that are typically free to play, having to be purchased first. It helps eliminate a lot of toxic behavior knowing your time/money can be taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    In short, it's not mobas to blame, its anonymity. And no consequences for their actions. Banning a free account doesn't do shit. I'm all for games that are typically free to play, having to be purchased first. It helps eliminate a lot of toxic behavior knowing your time/money can be taken away.
    Anonymous moba would be if you couldn't see their player names or if they frequently change names but that's not really the case. You can tell if you play with the same player again but you really don't. Its the big city life where village tactics of just know the bad people don't work as there is an endless supply of new faces. Next comes the criminals vs cops problem - they can't afford an army of gms manually checking every game and they can't come up with an automated process to figure if a player is intentionally sabotaging. So they simply lack resources to police. Note also lol has a cost - you need to lvl up an account and you lose all progress on a permaban. Didn't stop the issue even in higher ranked games that need 50h+ to reach.

Lol simply causes rage cause you get matched with people that can mess up your game and you have no effective counterplay. In fact if you flame them there's a higher chance they can abuse report to get you banned because text is supervised easily with automation while sabotaging gameplay has no supervisions. So you are basically forced to endure a abusive relationship silently. Its no wonder people get tilted in such a environment.

TLDR: Friend micromanages everything from optimizing gifts given to NPCs to having a planned out weekly schedule in order to complete the game 100%. He becomes a bit snobby when I ask for what to do by saying go to the stardew wiki or "Do X because (insert semi-condescending comment such as use common sense). Friend is also a former league player reaching high diamond every season too and stopped playing a few years ago

- - - Updated - - -

The last part was very relatable, I'm playing with friends of friends from the league of legends university club and wondered if their behavior was normal or an outlier. Anyway thanks for replying and the advice!
    That's not toxic, that's enjoying min-maxing.

maybe yes hahahaghaha

It kind of sounds like there are a couple possible explanations for the "toxicity": personality and/or the environment that games like league fosters. I've read reflections where some people find themselves getting heated specifically when playing league when they are otherwise really chill outside of that. I also know that some people with more competitive and perhaps aggressive personalities tend to gravitate towards gameplays that fuel that side of them. All that said, I think league may bring out certain aggressive tendencies in people, but there is also probably a good proportion of that player base that is already predisposed to that anyway and so, if not league, they may have just found another medium to express those parts of them.

The idea of being toxic in stardew valley is funny LOL. Some people definitely enjoy min/maxing, and if they get a kick out of it then that's great! Ideally their motivation to be super efficient doesn't come at the expense of the others' experience playing with them, but alas, we can't control everything. I guess this is why it matters a lot who you play with and whether or not you have a similar play style as your peers when playing co-op games.
    Last edited by GamingStudy; 2023-04-25 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Punctuation and grammar

LoL is the most non-toxic game ever!

Its not an LoL Issue, its an Online-Teamplay-Competetive-Games-Problem. All Teambased PvP Games are toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Its not an LoL Issue, its an Online-Teamplay-Competetive-Games-Problem. All Teambased PvP Games are toxic.
    This. At some point I quit playing league because it was too stressful and started to casually play pve content in wow, but then I tried to play pvp and whoa, stressful situations came back again. So it's not about a game it's about your own anger management and concept.