Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Of course it's way heavier than an average sword for normal human weaklings, it's wielded by the mofo'ing Lich King idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    you guys really need to stop speaking in foreign weights and heights...
    Metric system is not foreign in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    That thing was 500 bucks back in the day. Sold mine for 200 bucks 5 years ago, when I moved out and didn't want to carry it around with me anymore.

Still looks good but Blizz is definitely milking it.
    Of course. It clearly is marked up and aimed at collectors rather then being mass produced and for the item in question it makes sense.

I know I'm tempted to splurge on it but even though I can the cheapskate part of me is reminding myself that the old molds were used for knock offs that were 95% of the orginal quality with about 80% of the price knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Metric system is not foreign in Europe
    Or really anywhere. Even the US uses metric, although they have that ridiculous overlay on top of it. But everything is defined in metric units.

You also can count the number of countries that even have alternate systems in common use on one hand with a finger missing. Out of over 190 countries in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Holy crap that thing is heavy. Imagine what it would weigh if it was made from weapons grade steel. This one is already about 12 times to heavy to be usable
    Less than it weighs now. Zinc and Copper are heavier than a good high carbon steel (and Stainless steel is heavier than high carbon/mild steel).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    There is an actually used twohander in a museum here that was used in man-to-man combat weighing 6.6 kg (https://greaterancestors.com/grutte-piers-giant-sword/).
    Admittedly it belonged to a "giant" at 2.15 m, but it's nonsense that swords don't get that heavy, their usage and role just changes with weight.

Not sure how the name translates, but they were used during i.e. sieges and naval boarding to damage ships and wooden structures.
    I've held one in the past and indeed they're extremely unwieldy, but they're sort of meant to be.
    What you managed to find here was a historical abnormality used by a literal giant. No regular guy could wield that sword effectively.

The average very large two handed swords (like a Zweihander) that were used for breaking pike formations were about 5.5lbs or lighter. "Bearing Swords" - ceremonial swords that were larger and heavier, and not meant to be used in actual combat - were up to ~9lbs.

And thats about as big as two handed (western) swords got. Some might have been heavier than average if they were made for a large man, but by and large, no one was swinging around swords that weighed more than 6 or so pounds for realsies. Most swords capable of one handed use were 3.5lbs or lighter (and often had a fair bit of weight in the quillons and pommel and/or a basket hilt, to shift the balance towards the hand and make it easier to swing repeatedly.)

Even most heavier weapons (like a Pike or other longer polearm) topped out at less than 10lbs, or, if they were heavier, were counter-weighted to make them wieldable in the manner in which they were used. Pikes, for instance, often had a heavy counterweight on the near end to make up for the fact that they were so long. A mid-sized polearm (the kind used by heavy infantry or dismounted knights) was usually no heavier than any large sword and not nearly as long as most people think (usually no taller or only slightly taller than the weilder). Infantry polearms that werent pikes usually topped out at 7.5 - 8ft, for the big ones. They had to still be wieldable and swingable. Most Halberds, for instance (or a Glaive) would have been around 7ft, and the heavy top end would have been balanced out by langettes down the haft (which also prevent a sword from cutting it) and a heavy butt spike or blunt butt cap.

Medieval weapons were not nearly as heavy as a lot of people in the modern day believe.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-09-28 at 02:44 AM.

Still amazingly pretty replica sword, like the original. Completely milk the whales price tag though. Very subtle admission of what they've been doing for over half a decade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I posted in another thread, I'm slightly confused why people are hung up on it's weight. It's a fantasy sword after all. Not that the weight can't be discussed obviously, but I get the feeling people are comparing fantasy to real life.

As for the sword itself I think it's cool as heck but a grand and a half for something that is pretty useless and would be an ornament... yeah no.

€1500 for the sword and €200 for a wall mount alone? With this pricing I expect an Apple logo on it.

And the Blizzard store continues with worse fantasy pricing than even apple. Besides being way overpriced and not even coming with a damn stand (which is mostly resin based) as a literal wallhanger type sword, why did they put their damn logo on the blade in such a visible spot..? Like seriously, one hand you go out of way to make it look as "real" as possible and then you stamp it like cheap plastic tat.. whoever designed that needs to be clobbered with this hunk of steel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    Because they don't want to be responsible when a 17 year-old "child" accidentally stabs his little brother to death with it.
    More like bludgeoning, since the thing isn't even sharp.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Personally because if I'm dropping 1500 for a sword it best be capable of being a sword and not just a tapestry

I took my original 2008 chipped frosty out of the box 2 times before finally putting it up for display last year. It's awesome for the 400$ i paid back then.. But $1500+200... NOPE!

If I buy one can I use it to bring my father back from the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Like I posted in another thread, I'm slightly confused why people are hung up on it's weight. It's a fantasy sword after all. Not that the weight can't be discussed obviously, but I get the feeling people are comparing fantasy to real life.

As for the sword itself I think it's cool as heck but a grand and a half for something that is pretty useless and would be an ornament... yeah no.
    Im not personally hung up on the weight (its a decorative piece after all), but was mostly responding to the guy(s) that claimed that it was a totally normal weight for a sword. As a re-enactor and HEMA enthusiast, i dont like seeing misinformation spread like that. Since its a wall hanger, the weight is largely irrelevant, but i didnt want people getting the idea that real swords are nearly that heavy.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's just natural selection at work and corpos shouldn't worry about it since all ToS have a section where customers waive the right to sue upon agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    Because they don't want to be responsible when a 17 year-old "child" accidentally stabs his little brother to death with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Less than it weighs now. Zinc and Copper are heavier than a good high carbon steel (and Stainless steel is heavier than high carbon/mild steel).

- - - Updated - - -

What you managed to find here was a historical abnormality used by a literal giant. No regular guy could wield that sword effectively.

The average very large two handed swords (like a Zweihander) that were used for breaking pike formations were about 5.5lbs or lighter. "Bearing Swords" - ceremonial swords that were larger and heavier, and not meant to be used in actual combat - were up to ~9lbs.
    Depends on the proportions. Zinc is lighter than any steel.

The other sword is almost certainly a bearing sword, though. There's no proof it actually has anything to do with Grutte Pier and it is older than his alleged birth. There's also definite bearing swords in the British armory that have nearly exactly the same design, so it isn't a unique piece either.