What mobile phone can I use to replace my pc for very demanding work?

I have a very powerful desktop that I initially bought to multibox wow which worked quite nicely until it was against ToS, it is still useful to me because my work requires me to have tons of browser tabs open, I mean several hundreds of them but I hate it and it is an ergonomic nightmare that I lately believe that it restricts my life especially since I have health problems and this ergonomic limitation make it hard for me to work on it. I don't care about games anymore anyway, I played almost all of them and I don't like any of them, I like very few and most of them are accessible on mobile phone.

These days I pass more time on my mobile phone and I believe my life has improved, I only return to my pc because my mobile is too weak to use for work. I hate both my pc and my console, none of them has actually been useful ergonomic-wise for me except my mobile phone. I envision a future that I will work 24/7 on my mobile phone instead of my pc and I will use the pc and tv only for entertainment such as movies, sports or virtual reality stuff.

I don't know if it's possible but I need a phone that can do most of what my pc does, something with lots of ram, my pc has 32 gb, well I don't expect so much but in general, I want something powerfull and reliable.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-09-30 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found this blue forum post on Multiboxing https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ay-2021/956613.

Then pulled up the EULA https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal...ense-agreement.

A can't find anywhere in the EULA that explicitly mentions anything they say in the forum post. None of the keywords in the post, multiboxing, multiple clients, input commands, mirror, broadcast, keyboard, automatically, keystrokes, appear in the EULA. All I can see are the couple of lines on bots and cheats that have always been there.

Did they just decide to reinterpret their own rules for multiboxing?

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I have a very powerful desktop that I initially bought to multibox wow which worked quite nicely until it was against ToS, it is still useful to me because my work requires me to have tons of browser tabs open, I mean several hundreds of them but I hate it and it is an ergonomic nightmare that I lately believe that it restricts my life especially since I have health problems and this ergonomic limitation make it hard for me to work on it. I don't care about games anymore anyway, I played almost all of them and I don't like any of them, I like very few and most of them are accessible on mobile phone.

These days I pass more time on my mobile phone and I believe my life has improved, I only return to my pc because my mobile is too weak to use for work. I hate both my pc and my console, none of them has actually been useful ergonomic-wise for me except my mobile phone. I envision a future that I will work 24/7 on my mobile phone instead of my pc and I will use the pc and tv only for entertainment such as movies, sports or virtual reality stuff.

I don't know if it's possible but I need a phone that can do most of what my pc does, something with lots of ram, my pc has 32 gb, well I don't expect so much but in general, I want something powerfull and reliable.
    maybe consider the M1 iPad for multitasking, and maybe a T7 samsung SSD to transfer data from the iPad to the PC and viceversa.

The short answer to your question is:

you cant. There is no phone out there that has the muscle of a high-end PC. Zero many.

About the closest you can get is an iPhone (the CPU is basically just a cut-down M1) but it wont have the RAM to make trying to manage dozens or hundreds of tabs pleasant. No mobile device will. Even then, i cant even imagine trying to manage hundreds of tabs on a mobile browser (which dont, stricty speaking, have tabs on phones) with a single window. That'd be a damn nightmare.

About the best device you could get that is "mobile" is an iPad Pro (it has a full-up M1 that is only marginally slower than the M1 in a Macbook Air or Mac Mini (limited by thermals). But that still only has 8GB of RAM (though iPadOS manages RAM quite well) and you're still limited to just two windows side-by-side. And you're still stuck on a tiny 11" screen, unless you opt for the 12.9" model... which is still pretty small for that how much real-estate you really need. And it doesn't behave quite like a full up desktop even with mouse and keyboard support.

Android tablets - just.... well, just dont. Even the high end ones with good specs are slow compared to an iPad and certainly arent going to behave like a desktop.

Your next choice would be a convertible Chromebook (one that can be used as a tablet) which gets you real-deal desktop Chrome, and support for Android apps, but, again, we're not talking powerhouse machines here. The detachable/convertible types tend to top out at upper-midrange specs due to heat issues, and you're not going to find a Chromebook with more than 8GB of RAM in this category (though, again, ChromeOS is quite lightweight and like iPadOS manages its RAM quite well). But an enjoyable or usable 100+ tabs experience is not going to be a thing. FWIW, i use one for a lot of my daily driving now (living room computing, mobile computing, etc) and its pretty solid but i cant imagine trying to manage that many tabs on an 11" screen. (I use the HP Chromebook X2 11). Its a great little device, but massive tab swapping.. no. And its kinda expensive (MSRP 600$). Lenovo sells a nearly identical device (slightly newer CPU (Snapdragon 7Cv2 vs the V1 in the HP, marginally better battery life but performance is pretty much identical, but less RAM at 4GB vs 8) called the Duet 3 that is 339$. They also sell a larger (iPad Pro sized) Duet 5, which has 8GB of RAM and the same 7c v2.

So, short answer: not going to happen. Phones and even tablets just dont pack that kind of hardware.

Longer answer:

lets address your ergonomic issues. What is the problem? Sitting for long periods? Carpal Tunnel or similar RSI?

Its probably better to simply address those issues and continue using a desktop machine to do work. Even if you want to be able to use it in other rooms, that can be accomplished with screen casting (easiest way would be with Steamlink via an Android TV dongle) and wireless keyboards and mice.

Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    The short answer to your question is:

you cant. There is no phone out there that has the muscle of a high-end PC. Zero many.

About the closest you can get is an iPhone (the CPU is basically just a cut-down M1) but it wont have the RAM to make trying to manage dozens or hundreds of tabs pleasant. No mobile device will. Even then, i cant even imagine trying to manage hundreds of tabs on a mobile browser (which dont, stricty speaking, have tabs on phones) with a single window. That'd be a damn nightmare.

About the best device you could get that is "mobile" is an iPad Pro (it has a full-up M1 that is only marginally slower than the M1 in a Macbook Air or Mac Mini (limited by thermals). But that still only has 8GB of RAM (though iPadOS manages RAM quite well) and you're still limited to just two windows side-by-side. And you're still stuck on a tiny 11" screen, unless you opt for the 12.9" model... which is still pretty small for that how much real-estate you really need. And it doesn't behave quite like a full up desktop even with mouse and keyboard support.

Android tablets - just.... well, just dont. Even the high end ones with good specs are slow compared to an iPad and certainly arent going to behave like a desktop.

Your next choice would be a convertible Chromebook (one that can be used as a tablet) which gets you real-deal desktop Chrome, and support for Android apps, but, again, we're not talking powerhouse machines here. The detachable/convertible types tend to top out at upper-midrange specs due to heat issues, and you're not going to find a Chromebook with more than 8GB of RAM in this category (though, again, ChromeOS is quite lightweight and like iPadOS manages its RAM quite well). But an enjoyable or usable 100+ tabs experience is not going to be a thing. FWIW, i use one for a lot of my daily driving now (living room computing, mobile computing, etc) and its pretty solid but i cant imagine trying to manage that many tabs on an 11" screen. (I use the HP Chromebook X2 11). Its a great little device, but massive tab swapping.. no. And its kinda expensive (MSRP 600$). Lenovo sells a nearly identical device (slightly newer CPU (Snapdragon 7Cv2 vs the V1 in the HP, marginally better battery life but performance is pretty much identical, but less RAM at 4GB vs 8) called the Duet 3 that is 339$. They also sell a larger (iPad Pro sized) Duet 5, which has 8GB of RAM and the same 7c v2.

So, short answer: not going to happen. Phones and even tablets just dont pack that kind of hardware.

Longer answer:

lets address your ergonomic issues. What is the problem? Sitting for long periods? Carpal Tunnel or similar RSI?

Its probably better to simply address those issues and continue using a desktop machine to do work. Even if you want to be able to use it in other rooms, that can be accomplished with screen casting (easiest way would be with Steamlink via an Android TV dongle) and wireless keyboards and mice.

Let us know.
    I have a mental/neurological disease that makes my muscles weak and incapable to function properly and it triggers if I sit too long on a chair especially if I have to do stressful work, some games trigger this a lot while others relax me, sitting on bed relax me but anything but the touch screen is terrible to use there for me because I feel restricted and cause me issues , also a mobile device would offer me more freedom to move, I do e-commerce so all I have to do is chatting and paying, I'm not a programmer or something like this, I don't need to be imprisoned in my home. Typing on a keyboard screws me up badly if it's for too long, and I play games with the mouse only, I can't play other games for more than an hour, I mostly play games with autorun or ctm. My left hand is the weakest. Im thinking to switch to unlimited data mobile internet, this will allow me to work anywhere. 8 gb ram is fine, I don't need so many tabs open all the time anyway, steam link is fantastic and I was playing wow with it yesterday using the touch cursor(hopefully they won't ban me for this because the cursor was moving instantly with touch) but the wifi is terrible, so slow and I got many DCs, and not sure what is the range of this, nevertheless it's fantastic tech
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2022-10-02 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I have a mental/neurological disease that makes my muscles weak and incapable to function properly and it triggers if I sit too long on a chair especially if I have to do stressful work, some games trigger this a lot while others relax me, sitting on bed relax me but anything but the touch screen is terrible to use there for me because I feel restricted and cause me issues , also a mobile device would offer me more freedom to move, I do e-commerce so all I have to do is chatting and paying, I'm not a programmer or something like this, I don't need to be imprisoned in my home. Typing on a keyboard screws me up badly if it's for too long, and I play games with the mouse only, I can't play other games for more than an hour, I mostly play games with autorun or ctm. My left hand is the weakest. Im thinking to switch to unlimited data mobile internet, this will allow me to work anywhere. 8 gb ram is fine, I don't need so many tabs open all the time anyway,
    Then your best bet is to get an iPad Pro. If you can handle holding it up (its a bit heavier) the 12.9 will have more real-estate. Specs wise they are the same other than the larger monitor. You can get one with a cellular connection, though most providers wont give you an "unlimited data" plan for one - but you can get around this by simply getting a second "real" phone line (with unlimited data) - use a cheap old phone for this - and then put the SIM from that phone into the iPad. YMMV depending on your provider. Edited to add: you may also want to wait a few more weeks, as M2 equipped iPad Pros should be releasing at mid to late Oct event.

steam link is fantastic and I was playing wow with it yesterday using the touch cursor(hopefully they won't ban me for this because the cursor was moving instantly with touch) but the wifi is terrible, so slow and I got many DCs, and not sure what is the range of this, nevertheless it's fantastic tech
    Steam Link really needs a great in-home router (the crap that most cable companies rent you wont cut it) to work well wirelessly. Wire if you can (which is probably a no on your phone).

Just as an FYI, you can use Steamlink to basically "sit at your PC". There's an option to exit big picture mode that puts you at the desktop. My wife uses this to use her Mac while she is in her sewing room. We've got one of the old/original Steamlink slabs that Valve sold plugged into a 29" spare TV we had lying around a a mouse and keyboard plugged into it. Saved her from having to get a cheap PC or a laptop to carry down there with her.