Thread: 'Shiny' Pets?

'Shiny' Pets?

Leveled a hunter and have been diving into the rabbit hole that is pet taming. I love the idea of some pets being harder to get than others, but cosmetically they're all the same once tamed. Something I'd like to see is Blizzard implementing a Pokemon-style 'shiny' mob spawning for hunter pets and wild battle pets. This would mean all mobs and tameable hunter pets would have a 'shiny' version (or multiple) that would be an incredibly rare spawn chance as unique recolored/retextured versions of the mob to be tamed or captured.

An example of this is there is a Brown stag mob in a zone, and it has a 0.01% chance to spawn recolored as pure white/different markings/bigger horns/etc.

I feel silver portrait 'rare' mobs aren't really rare anymore and exist to emulate this concept in some way, but I feel introducing something like this would make exploring the world more fun with the potential to encounter actual rare spawns and would be exciting to hunt for and add to the hunter class fantasy (or battle pet hunter fantasy). Nuance in looks already exists in game for a single mob, so I imagine technically this wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement.

I could see doing this for battle pets but for hunter tames 90% of the time it would just be killed by a non-hunter.

I like shinies in Pokemon but there's a reason they're moving away from them being stupidly rare to get even there.

It would be an actual nightmare to hunters, when they already have to suffer with people not even wanting to let them tame oondasta and killing other random rares.

7+ Year Old Account
    That sounds like a good way to piss people off and make them have to be dicks.

There were originally some colour changing pets that had a rarer varient, the Sandreaver mobs in Nagrand, WoD. They have a lower chance to appear with some unique colour schemes, but nothing that you can't just, wait around for the right one to pop

However at those rates, no. This would result in absolute murder when this impossibly rare mob is killed by some random warrior. We had those tames back in Wrath. We had Aotona, King Krush, Gondria, Arcturis and of course, Loque'nahak. And if you remember those times, you remember the utter drama that came from them. People killing them, disrupting other tames, just being jerks

That's why we have the specific hunter tame stuff we do, where you gotta track stuff down before they'll show and only show to yourself

Not only you gotta camp the rare skoll (just a example) and wait for him to spawn, you got a .0142069% chance for a shiny version of the pet. Nah hard pass
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

...there was a mage in my server who proudly showed off his large bank tabs of those tears that drop off the rares for hunters....I see someone like that just doing everything in their power to make hunters looking for shinys life misreable

Never mind hunters of the opposite faction

Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    There were originally some colour changing pets that had a rarer varient, the Sandreaver mobs in Nagrand, WoD. They have a lower chance to appear with some unique colour schemes, but nothing that you can't just, wait around for the right one to pop

However at those rates, no. This would result in absolute murder when this impossibly rare mob is killed by some random warrior. We had those tames back in Wrath. We had Aotona, King Krush, Gondria, Arcturis and of course, Loque'nahak. And if you remember those times, you remember the utter drama that came from them. People killing them, disrupting other tames, just being jerks

That's why we have the specific hunter tame stuff we do, where you gotta track stuff down before they'll show and only show to yourself
    Of course, but the big flaw here was that they were set set spawn locations for named mobs. If this concept applied everywhere at a high degree of rarity, sure a random player would kill it not knowing what it is if stumbling upon it questing, but would also not be campable considering it can happen anywhere at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    That sounds like a good way to piss people off and make them have to be dicks.
    Hear me out: Make it rare and impossible to grief.

An item, 0.1% drop chance for hunters. From there, either a consistent system or a unique mini-quest for each rare pet. Like randomly finding rare berries you can use to lure out the beast, or finding tracks only visible to hunters.

No spawn times, just random events that constantly have a chance to trigger as youre doing specific tasks on a hunter.

Another idea: Bring back the red exclamation mark, and put it on a bunch of rare spawns. Kill rare, get item, use item to instantly encounter tameable rare.

Maybe my calves will soon have shiny coats.. I went to refil their meal tray and found an egg had been laid there, the hens go and get the calf meal so I have to play the weathermans house game, hens in, meal out, meal in hens out.

Quote Originally Posted by henjack1 View Post
    Maybe my calves will soon have shiny coats.. I went to refil their meal tray and found an egg had been laid there, the hens go and get the calf meal so I have to play the weathermans house game, hens in, meal out, meal in hens out.
    Want to try that again and make it make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Want to try that again and make it make sense?
    It makes a lot of sense in the real world. The food he is putting out for his calves is being eaten by the chickens, and one hen was eating the calf meal (food) when she laid an egg. Now, he can only feed the calves when the chickens are locked away, and brings the leftover calf meal (food) back in before releasing the chickens.

Makes no sense in wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.