Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Post Timeline split. Is it feasible?

It's the general consensus (and I agree) that Cata was the start of the decline of WoW, gameplay and lore-wise.

With the success of Classic through WotLK, Blizzard is presented with an opportunity that no other company has ever had: fix the lore, retcons and design mistakes.

My idea is simple: Blizzard creates a compelling and convincing lore (I'm asking too much, I know) that explains a timeline split that happened in Cata. In one timeline we have Cata, MoP, WoD and etc. and in the other we have a fresh path to an unknown future, maybe plugging in the best features of each expansion or even entire xpacs (like Legion).

Is it feasible? I know that, technically, it is. I also know that whatever Blizzard do, the playerbase will gobble-up. So, the only question is if it's feasible from a political/player engagement perspective.

What y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by richterlevania3 View Post
    It's the general consensus (and I agree) that Cata was the start of the decline of WoW, gameplay and lore-wise.

With the success of Classic through WotLK, Blizzard is presented with an opportunity that no other company has ever had: fix the lore, retcons and design mistakes.

My idea is simple: Blizzard creates a compelling and convincing lore (I'm asking too much, I know) that explains a timeline split that happened in Cata. In one timeline we have Cata, MoP, WoD and etc. and in the other we have a fresh path to an unknown future, maybe plugging in the best features of each expansion or even entire xpacs (like Legion).

Is it feasible? I know that, technically, it is. I also know that whatever Blizzard do, the playerbase will gobble-up. So, the only question is if it's feasible from a political/player engagement perspective.

What y'all think?
    Interesting concept for a direct Wow Sequel.

Dont see it happening, lots of work when they can just continue to chug the original game at a maintenance mode with an expansion every 2 years. I suspect after wrath classic they will release some sort of "cata classic" that will flop, and they will need to rethink the future of warcraft.
    Chronomancer Club

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite cynical after Star Trek tried and failed with it's concept of a "timeline split", though I am not opposed to Blizzard saying, "yeah, Cata and after? we done messed up so we're starting over."

This has been asked many times before but it wont be done for many reasons One thing being it will be too resouce draining having to have staff to manage the development of 2 Wows

And what happens when Fans of the new timeline Jump ship from retail Casuing retail to decline and then die. What would eb the point in further developing it

Sure cata had its problems we all would like fixed but id prefer all there resources and devlopment time be focused on Retail

Could they? Of course. WoW has had over 100+ million players over the years. Impossible to think there isn't market segments within their own playerbase.

Will they? I highly doubt it. Not as is. They basically just want to squeeze out as much cash as they can with the least amount of effort. Of course should be MS merger be completed, then anything is really possible.

Would be cool but doubt they'd want to keep the Retail timeline going if they make another one. And they wouldn't make another if it meant ditching the current one.

You're asking the people responsible for BFA and SL, to fix the game from cata onwards? The people responsible for the worst design and lore disasters so far? If they could do it, we wouldn't have had disaster after another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    You're asking the people responsible for BFA and SL, to fix the game from cata onwards? The people responsible for the worst design and lore disasters so far? If they could do it, we wouldn't have had disaster after another.
    I mean, it was Kosak, Afrasiabi, and their teams that pretty much ruined the Alliance and shat all over their cities.

Danuser is obsessed with Sylvanas and pushed his OC fanfic villain Zovaal to be the ultimate mastermind of everything, but aside from those blunders, I don't think he has a vendetta against the Alliance like the previous writers.

It would be interesting to see if Teldrassil, Theramore, Gilneas, Southshore, and so on would still be nuked into oblivion with this new lore team.

It was also the previous lore team led by Afrasiabi that wasted Azshara and N'Zoth in a faction war expansion. Zovaal the Janitor was a garbage villain, don't get me wrong, but what Afrasiabi and co. did in BfA was way worse for the setting. Both Azshara and N'Zoth could have carried their own expansions individually, and they just wasted them in two patches of a faction war expansion. Sadfang the sad orc literally had more screentime than Azshara.

I think it would be interesting to "start fresh" and see how this new lore team would handle Sargeras, Azshara, N'Zoth, and so on.

What y'all think?
    No, it's some major wish-casting. Seems very common nowadays with like every fandom when they inevitably get sour on something they liked when they were younger.

But there is no business model in this.

10+ Year Old Account

What y'all think?
    Eh... Let me get this straight..

You are putting out the idea that Blizzard either....

A.: Scrap the existence of MoP, WoD, Legion, BFA, and Shadowlands (In that list are at least one very popular expansion) to make a complete reconnect installation of WoW with new expansions and stories starting from Cataclysm?

B.: Launch a 3rd installment of World of Warcraft to run side by side with the two others, thus thinning out development, and numbers more, not to mention funds?

Considering that there's A LOT to lose, I wouldn't say it is feasible. So much work has to be put into it, retcons worse than we've ever seen, cannibalizing the old expansions in an attempt to make brand new expansions that they then have to make seem new, and on that, then have to brew a story for it, and character development, not to mention so many characters are going to be changed, or not exist.

I mean for me, you wanna snap two out of three of my top three expansions out of existence?

What would plots be then if a split timeline? Deathwing still bad, or suddenly goes, 'Nah, bro, we clear'? What about all the work put into Garrosh? What about the many hours of cinematics wasted? Thousands of dollars used on voice acting, audio and soundtracks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Pretty sure those teams are almost gone, mate.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-10-06 at 05:51 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Who has ever said that? I have LITERALLY never once ever heard or read anyone ever say cata was that. Do not make stuff up.

What y'all think?
    lol

yeah sure the 2 buttons spamming for most specs was the pinnacle of gameplay

What y'all think?
    they will not put resources they could use for retail wow into something that is very unlikely to bring many "new" players, at best it would split current playerbase further, which is not really profitable for them...
    classic is different, as that required a lot less work than "new" content

also, i wouldnt say there is really "General consensus" as literaly every expansion is considered best or worst by part of playerbase

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there's no general consensus among the playerbase about expansions.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    No, there's no general consensus among the playerbase about expansions.
    I would say that's a very disingenuous statement. I've have never a seen a poll or opinion thread on any site in which WotLK and MoP are not the two highest rated expansion.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they did the time-line split, then they would probably start charging a sub for what was the classic realms separate from the retail sub.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Do we have to get this thread EVERY time a Classic iteration is up next in line?

They're not going to do it. The whole reason they're releasing Classics is that it's relatively little work for what they're getting out of it. If they suddenly found themselves redesigning entire expansions on a fundamental level, that'd defeat the entire underlying business model.

Those resources they could just as well pump into retail, and that's what they're going to do.

Would it be NICE to have "do-overs" with hindsight 20/20? Maybe. But it's a pipe dream living rent-free in player heads, nothing else.

What y'all think?
    That's unfeasible, and even if it was, it'd never happen. Blizzard is not going to keep "WoW 1" and "WoW 2" going on concurrently and each progressing at the same pace in different directions. That'd split the playerbase.

I mean, Blizzard literally killed Overwatch 1 for Overwatch 2. Why do you think they wouldn't do the same for WoW if they decide to "reboot" it?

To go back to the concept of this thread. If they were going to do a time split it begin with, why start with WotLK?

Why not go back to directly after WC3 or even make a spin-off that covers WC2 or WotA for that matter?
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-10-06 at 11:28 PM.

Lore didn't start sucking in cats it started much earlier depending on who you ask. BC for me was probably the most egregious. "X went insane" was literally the justification for multiple raid bosses and it sucked. Wrath was decent, cats had ups and downs but the revamped stuff was pretty good, pandaria sucked but some of the other lore introduced was good. Monk still feels like a redundant and poorly executed class to me. Wod was a lore Trainwreck and absolute travesty, legion was great, BFA was a second travesty and shadowlands was pretty bleak.
    Branching from cata is dumb, we would just get new ruined versions of tired characters. Blizz need to start fresh and start building up new heroes with planned out start middle and ends for them. Give their heroes expiry dates and stop these evergreen travesties.

Whatever they would do to 'fix' wow lore from cata they could do from now. Move forward not back