Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    What a time to be alive. Hope they get rid of that super champion Attitude

peace
    Holy shit, really? I don't fucking care that it requires the entire planet to inexplicably hit their collective heads and forget all the cool shit I did, I'll go along with it. I'll pretend I never did them. About fucking time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrain View Post
    How do you kill that which has no life?

We are immortal multidimensional beings all portraying the "one" the champion, THE adventurer, the one and only maw-walker, we are all this one together.

Even though they sometimes call us champions plural, wow has since vanilla always had the story of the one that got the legendariers and killed the raids with the help from the other champions, but after SL there is only one champion left, the maw-walker, and that's all of us.
    Back in the day, they actually did canonize a few characters. The first owner of Thunderfury and the Scarab Lord are both semi-canon characters now IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Holy shit, really? I don't fucking care that it requires the entire planet to inexplicably hit their collective heads and forget all the cool shit I did, I'll go along with it. I'll pretend I never did them. About fucking time.
    I really wouldn't get excited if I were you, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment. It was the case in Shadowlands too, until it wasn't a couple levels later. I reckon it's going to be the case here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Canonically I like to think that this never really happened and the protagonist was just on a drug/alcohol binge the entire time.

*drunkedly at the inn* "I killed the lord of death!!!"
    "sure you did, buddy. sure you did."
    I love this.

Just like that quest in Skyrim where you go on a bender with Sam. (Won't spoil the rest of it.)

The comments in here. Would all be "ree I dont want to be some godly champion! I want to be a simple adventurer again!"
    But now its "reee I just killed the god of death, now they're calling me adventurer again reee"

This is a prime example of why we should no longer have out of reach, beyond impossible situations where everything is "coming to an end" just for us to miraculously come out on top and be the victor ( when everything pointed to the fact that we would NOT win this fight - The whole jailers army being a bigger and more deadly threat than the legion - which only took us 2 years to defeat? lol oKAy.

World ending threat after world ending threat no longer becomes a threat. I think we should've lost to the jailer. Or even the old god that they built up for YEARS just to get squashed in a single patch. Wow's threats are a joke now. Making even being a "champion" sound kinda lame. If this is them doing a refresh / restart ( 5 years since shadowlands - with no threats in that time, the need for "champions" wasn't needed. So when when we get summoned to the dragon isles we aren't those champions anymore. Just adventures who put down the mantle, are now setting out on a new expedition to explore a new zone. Why would they need "champions" if there really isn't a known threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Yooginava182 View Post
    The comments in here. Would all be "ree I dont want to be some godly champion! I want to be a simple adventurer again!"
    But now its "reee I just killed the god of death, now they're calling me adventurer again reee"

This is a prime example of why we should no longer have out of reach, beyond impossible situations where everything is "coming to an end" just for us to miraculously come out on top and be the victor ( when everything pointed to the fact that we would NOT win this fight - The whole jailers army being a bigger and more deadly threat than the legion - which only took us 2 years to defeat? lol oKAy.

World ending threat after world ending threat no longer becomes a threat. I think we should've lost to the jailer. Or even the old god that they built up for YEARS just to get squashed in a single patch. Wow's threats are a joke now. Making even being a "champion" sound kinda lame. If this is them doing a refresh / restart ( 5 years since shadowlands - with no threats in that time, the need for "champions" wasn't needed. So when when we get summoned to the dragon isles we aren't those champions anymore. Just adventures who put down the mantle, are now setting out on a new expedition to explore a new zone. Why would they need "champions" if there really isn't a known threat?
    Listen, this is a point where I'm totally willing to suspend my disbelief. I'll just make a new character for the expansion and say they're some young nobody who got roped into an expedition. I don't care that it's a total asspull to abruptly decide that we're "adventurers" now, I'm going to ignore the bullshit behind it and take it like a man. I don't want to be Goku fighting a sequence of increasingly-powerful super-deities, I want to be a generic guy in World of Warcraft doing cool shit and war profiteering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I really wouldn't get excited if I were you, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment. It was the case in Shadowlands too, until it wasn't a couple levels later. I reckon it's going to be the case here as well.
    Certainly hoping it's not the case—think they called you "champion" a bit in Shadowlands initially, though, certainly wasn't "adventurer" or "horrible mercenary who kills rare animals for profit">

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Now I'm reminded of this old comic:

I think this does honestly portray how things were legitimately better in terms of character growth at the time. Every new reputation grind was an interesting challenge with a good reward, and you could tangibly feel yourself going up the ranks. Now everybody just initially is a little suspicious of you, then immediately all over you after you kill the Super-Death-Baddie-Of-Bad-Guyhood in a main quest on the first new level of the expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    I think there's a lot of snapshot mentality from people in these MMOs.

We were all gnoll slaying newbies at some point and then we got strong enough to be able to face the strongest beings alive over time, but we still wear clothes, sit at an inn, and fish in the rivers of azeroth.

Who's to say that our enemy that looks inconspicuous isnt the same? Sure, it's just a "insert whatever you want here". But so are you, and you killed a "insert whatever strong enemy here", why can't these new enemies have done similar?
    This is Boaru, the Boar Champion. You slew him and his heroic raid, and you have now condemned yourself to a life of being hunted by the entire race of Boarity for your transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    What a time to be alive. Hope they get rid of that super champion Attitude

peace
    Don't you get it? It was all a dream!

(I guess even this could be a better story that what we had for the last 10 years or so.)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    That sort of thing seems silly in any expansion. I've killed literal gods but this random npc in x zone thinks he's gonna be the one to take me down? ok
    I mean TO BE FAIR there isn't an Azeroth News Network telling them who the fuck you are....as far as they are concerned you are just some dude

But by arguments sake you could take a dinosaur from Zandalar and toss him in front of the Lich King and the Dinosaur wins

I could care less either way that our character is a super champion or a lowly adventurer. As long as they make the class abilities, the dungeons, and the quests fun.

Yeah really. Especially the characters with slug mogs... How the fuck would the people of Dragon Isles guess it killed the Lich King?

There really is no reason for blizzard to ever put any effort into the story in this game with such attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by crejack View Post
    There really is no reason for blizzard to ever put any effort into the story in this game with such attitudes.
    Are you suggesting that they are now? With how irrevocable the damage to the story has been if events are to proceed logically, I'd rather a period during which they proceed illogically to allow for something more enjoyable to emerge. We've got to get out of this rut somehow.

Are you suggesting that they are now? With how irrevocable the damage to the story has been if events are to proceed logically, I'd rather a period during which they proceed illogically to allow for something more enjoyable to emerge. We've got to get out of this rut somehow.
    I am suggesting that they are not now, which makes you crapping on them for not in this post very strange, considering your celebration of it in your other post I replied to.

I am suggesting that they are not now, which makes you crapping on them for not in this post very strange, considering your celebration of it in your other post I replied to.
    The difference is that conveniently skimming over the players' achievements is frankly necessary for telling and interesting or engaging story, whereas Blizzard's other feats of laziness and inconsistency have only worked to diminish how interesting and engaging the story is.

The difference is that conveniently skimming over the players' achievements is frankly necessary for telling and interesting or engaging story, whereas Blizzard's other feats of laziness and inconsistency have only worked to diminish how interesting and engaging the story is.
    And Blizzard will continue because they get praised for continued effortless lazy and inconsistent story telling with unjustified amnesia in the attempt to appease people who want to be called adventurer in fetch quests.

And Blizzard will continue because they get praised for continued effortless lazy and inconsistent story telling with unjustified amnesia in the attempt to appease people who want to be called adventurer in fetch quests.
    Yes, they will. And it will be the only instance in which it is justified because it will resolve the greatest problem with the plot right now, which is that everything has to consist of an increasingly-powerful sequence of Super Baddies devoid of substance pursuing nebulously evil objectives. If we're forced back down to being "adventurers", we're further away from Danuser's wild ride and back on the rails of the original setting.

Yes, they will. And it will be the only instance in which it is justified because it will resolve the greatest problem with the plot right now, which is that everything has to consist of an increasingly-powerful sequence of Super Baddies devoid of substance pursuing nebulously evil objectives. If we're forced back down to being "adventurers", we're further away from Danuser's wild ride and back on the rails of the original setting.
    Nope, lazy storytelling is never justified, should be criticized when it happens, and will continue with attitudes of people like yourself.

Nope, lazy storytelling is never justified, should be criticized when it happens, and will continue with attitudes of people like yourself.
    Name your alternative. We continue ascending the ladder of personality-deprived villains, moving further from the original setting into the territory of Danuser's Cosmic Forces fanfic?

Name your alternative. We continue ascending the ladder of personality-deprived villains, moving further from the original setting into the territory of Danuser's Cosmic Forces fanfic?
    You want alternatives? Why? You are unhappy even being called champion. It's clear you don't want good storytelling. You just want to be called "adventurer" for fetch quests.

You want alternatives? Why? You are unhappy even being called champion. It's clear you don't want good storytelling. You just want to be called "adventurer" for fetch quests.
    I do want good storytelling. What this title of "adventurer" represents is a return to form, discarding the specter of the nonsensical lore that we've had shoved down our throats in Shadowlands. There will have to be some contrivances to escape it, but this abstractly represents something bigger than you seem to realize.

Ah yes, the original setting, when we fought an Elemental Lord as our first major adventure and pushed him back to his Plane. Don't forget the Old God as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !