View Poll Results: Favorite job from an aesthetic or lore standpoint?

Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • Paladin

5 10.64%
  • Warrior

0 0%
  • Dragoon

10 21.28%
  • Monk

2 4.26%
  • Bard

1 2.13%
  • Black Mage

1 2.13%
  • Black Mage

1 2.13%
  • Scholar

1 2.13%
  • White Mage

2 4.26%
  • Ninja

0 0%
  • Dark Knight

8 17.02%
  • Machinist

1 2.13%
  • Astrologian

2 4.26%
  • Samurai

0 0%
  • Red Mage

2 4.26%
  • Blue Mage

1 2.13%
  • Gunbreaker

4 8.51%
  • Dancer

1 2.13%
  • Reaper

5 10.64%
  • Saga

0 0%

Aesthetically and lorewise, which is your favorite job?

Disregarding how a job actually plays, what is your favorite job from an aesthetic and/or lore standpoint?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Reaper for me, with Dark Knight as a close second. I really like the lore behind Reapers and the fact that they hail from Ilsabard as means for the early Garleans to overcome their inability to use aether/magic in favor of channeling the powers of voidsent. The story of Drusilla and her relationship with Rullus/Orcus is also a good one, and I found Orcus one of the more disturbing enemies in the game due to both his singular presentation and the way his story serves as a warning for all Reapers concerning the dangers of the voidsent.

Dark Knights are also badass and a nice callback to similar roles and characters throughout the Final Fantasy games.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Probably Dragoon. I liked the concept of the class ever since FF4. Even tried to design a Dragoon class for our D&D campaign when we were kids.

Unfortunately, the class just isn't that exciting to play in XIV. I mean, how could anything live up to the class fantasy?

7+ Year Old Account
    Dragoon has the coolest armors

But Gunbreaker just oozes style
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Summoner, 100%, but it's not on the list.

Black Mage is there twice and Saga is not a job, but I know you meant Sage.

Both combined, Dragoon.

Aesthetically, Paladin, closely followed by Warrior.

Lorewise, probably Blackmage

5+ Year Old Account
    Reaper 1000%.

It's gorgeous, plays excellently, has interesting lore, and feels amazing. They did such a good job with it, love the glamor and weapons too!
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

I love BRD, WHM, and AST quite a lot. I chose BRD, but of those three they are equal to me. I'm sure many will love DRG / RPR / DRK - the edge and cool factors are turned up to 11 on these classes lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both:
    Reaper: Red and Blue with a Black "background colour" is such a good combination. Beating a dead horse here, but it's like Argus. It just fits so well. Plus the attacks have that oomf, and I'm a sucker for a cooldown that changes your appearance or gives you an aura. Lore is great IMO. Not really a fan of the NPC Job representative (Zenos), just kinda felt tacked on and didn't feel like Reaper representative. Felt more representation from Drusilla.
    Dragoons: Great lore and NPC Job representative (Estinien). Kinda bummed that they got rid of the Life of the Dragon aura thing, but the CDs and bit hitters have such great flair and oomf.
    Black Mage: Great lore, great spells with great oomf. Feels satisfying to get off a Fire IV. Haven't got there yet, but looking forward to Despair, Xenoglossy, Paradox, and the 2 AoE upgrades.

Aesthetically: Paladin: Isn't much in terms of lore. Bog standard knight class, protecc dried fruit etc etc. Confeteor more than makes up for that, though.

Lorewise: Dark Knight: Lore is great, just not enough aesthetic oomf in their skillset (mind you I've only played up to 70 so it might improve in ShB and onwards.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Reaper: Red and Blue with a Black "background colour" is such a good combination. Beating a dead horse here, but it's like Argus. It just fits so well. Plus the attacks have that oomf, and I'm a sucker for a cooldown that changes your appearance or gives you an aura. Lore is great IMO. Not really a fan of the NPC Job representative (Zenos), just kinda felt tacked on and didn't feel like Reaper representative. Felt more representation from Drusilla.
    That's actually a kind of weird point for me, but even though Zenos became a Reaper in EW, I never really considered him to be the representative of the job for some reason. For me, Drusilla was always in that role, despite having lost her voidsent avatar due to Orcus. Zenos' turn as a Reaper did really kind of feel tacked on at the end, but I guess it's understandable in that he's Garlean and it'd be the best fit for his considerable power lust. I always felt Zenos should ultimately be his own thing, some kind of abomination with magic-like abilities due to his fusion with a primal/eikon.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    That's actually a kind of weird point for me, but even though Zenos became a Reaper in EW, I never really considered him to be the representative of the job for some reason. For me, Drusilla was always in that role, despite having lost her voidsent avatar due to Orcus. Zenos' turn as a Reaper did really kind of feel tacked on at the end, but I guess it's understandable in that he's Garlean and it'd be the best fit for his considerable power lust. I always felt Zenos should ultimately be his own thing, some kind of abomination with magic-like abilities due to his fusion with a primal/eikon.
    I mean, it kinda makes sense to me - he's capable of transferring his soul between bodies since the last few patches of Stormblood. If that doesn't scream of 'reaper' vibes, I don't know what would. But he was swapping bodies before being a Reaper. It felt like a perversion of the Echo - The Echo lets the user see peoples past, live their past. Zenos' Resonance let's him literally become others. Kinda feels like they just gave him that Voidsent to set up the future patches, so they had him be a Reaper.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm very fond of Blue Mage, and wish it was a fully fleshed out job. I still love it though.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I mean, it kinda makes sense to me - he's capable of transferring his soul between bodies since the last few patches of Stormblood. If that doesn't scream of 'reaper' vibes, I don't know what would. But he was swapping bodies before being a Reaper. It felt like a perversion of the Echo - The Echo lets the user see peoples past, live their past. Zenos' Resonance let's him literally become others. Kinda feels like they just gave him that Voidsent to set up the future patches, so they had him be a Reaper.
    That's kind of what Resonance is, an artificial and somewhat perverted version of the Echo. I kind of think Zenos' own depersonalization issues sort of gave him the whole body-surf ability since Fordola doesn't appear to have anything like it despite being strong in the Resonance, with her use of it being more like an uncontrollable version of the Echo's power. Since Resonance is so unexplored it's hard to say, though.

Astrologian. I get to wear pretty robes, a pointy hat and get to sling constellations at people using my weird globe thingy.

I like Paladin, but Reaper is my second favority

Fuck.. most of them are really great when it comes to spell fantasy. And I like the fact that you emphasize not paying atention to playstyle and rotation, because it is important, and not all jobs gives me the most pleasant playing experiance. Especially when I'm used to playing action games where's lack of mobility and stelar performance are still synonymous in those games, exept when it comes to playing fucking caster in MMO games.

Sure this can go into semantics and diferent timeliness when casters were actually good, etc. But I still hate them because of the fact that you will always be interrupted on your casts at almost all the fucking time.. such a trash way to entertain yourself in video game. >_<

Back on topic, most if not all jobs radiates with great spell fantasy. Where do I start? Maybe I just pick a Dark Knight because I'm trully addicted to the hevy motion sword swinging, the fantasy of those swings are really dialed down to perfection. I also really like that glitterous combat sound of pretty much any job.

In terms of aesthetics, Dark Knight. I like playing characters who use darker powers, heavy armour and big swords. I'm not a fan of the lore surrounding them, though.

So I'd say something simple but satisfying wins out for the lore side of things - namely Lancer.

I remember enjoying the scholar quest (I think that's the one with the tonberry's?). The Dark Knight class quest was good too, but I think it was much too edgy and angsty for my tastes.