Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    New talents is not what we wanted, thats for sure.

Now stuff we have had baseline since day 1 of the game. 18 or so years ago, is now removed and given as talents, to promote the illusion of choice. Most of the talents now are mandatory to get the class back to where it was before the patch. Don't like this bs at all. Talents should add to your class, not remove shit

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Firstly, OP is asking for something to have less options to avoid being “cookie cutter”, which of course will make it more “cookie cutter”.
    honestly, i like the new talents, but having less options will not make it more cookie cutter, people who wants to use "Best" build will use it, no matter if there is 2 options or 2000 options
    but! i also think too much choice in talents could lead to MORE people using "best" build... if you have current talents you could just switch one to try different ability, when you have to go for whole different "branch" just to try another ability, even "Sacrificing" another ability, to a lot of people its not worth it, and theyll just check guides, especialy for alts

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Having 30 or 31 points per tree is way too much and leads to cookie cutter specs. And why isn't there a racial talent tree? 61 points split between three trees would work better.
    Leads to? People use "cookie cutter" specs now with 7 points.

With the way they are route restricted, it makes sense to have that many.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Feelscraft.
    rofl

You think the current 7 point talent "tree" doesn't lead to cookie cutter specs?

With or without plentiful choices, there will always be cookie cutter specs. Blizz knows this, which is why they have default builds. So people who don't want to have choices / play with builds don't have to.

But, for the rest of us, we can once again build our talents how we see fit.

This gives everyone good options. Why is there such complaints about something that does not hurt you? This is like having 10 choices for milk. If you want your 2%, it is right there. Why are you complaining about the fact that other options exist that aren't for you?

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    rofl

You think the current 7 point talent "tree" doesn't lead to cookie cutter specs?

With or without plentiful choices, there will always be cookie cutter specs. Blizz knows this, which is why they have default builds. So people who don't want to have choices / play with builds don't have to.

But, for the rest of us, we can once again build our talents how we see fit.

This gives everyone good options. Why is there such complaints about something that does not hurt you? This is like having 10 choices for milk. If you want your 2%, it is right there. Why are you complaining about the fact that other options exist that aren't for you?
    Because they want to remove the fun from the game.

People for years have been practically begging to make the game less of an RPG. No idea why you'd start playing an RPG if that's not what you want in the first place.

I think there’s not enough
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    I just dont get this conplaining XD like wtf. Whatever 99% will copy paste talents from icyveins or wowhead anyway.

There will be cookie cutter builds for certain fights for sure, thats simply the nature of the system, but general cookie cutter builds will be impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather cookie cutter specs be a thing with subtle variations, aka a strong core with actual personal preferential choice, than having to swap to entirely different playstyles for every minor situation.

Never understood why people enjoy having their toolkits fragmented into tiny different pieces which they can only use a few pieces of in specific situations. Why would you dismantle a swiss army knife, or take off the back of a hammer (the nail removal part), and call it "choice" when you can only use one function or the other. Makes literally no sense.

The point of a racial tree would be that investing in it would take points off the class trees.
    So the new talent trees have too many points.

And your solution is to make another tree and use some of those points in that tree.

So basically, if one room in your house were full of bees, you would move half of them to another room and then say "Well, that's no longer a problem, look how clever I am!"?

Because this is what you're suggesting.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

There are to few... Can't speak for every tree but a lot of them have so sick combos and builds but you always lack 1-3 points to pull it off.
    Which honestly? Just means they've done a pretty incredible job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    So the new talent trees have too many points.

And your solution is to make another tree and use some of those points in that tree.

So basically, if one room in your house were full of bees, you would move half of them to another room and then say "Well, that's no longer a problem, look how clever I am!"?

Because this is what you're suggesting.
    I think the complaint is there's too main points relative to the number of options.

So if there was a 3rd tree but with the same number of points, it'd make each individual choice harder since your points in each individual tree would be more restrictied.

I think the new talent trees are amazing, however it will of course vary from spec to spec. As a monk for example I can have a multitude of different loadouts and switch between at any time I want. You can clearly have an all-rounder type loadout (probably what you did), but also a specific loadout for PVE ST fights only, for AOE heavy fights, for stuff in between, loadouts with more or less CC and movements, some better suited for BG's, some for specific arena comps etc. Overall of course most of these loadouts will however share the same 2/3 points, but still.

This is the first time in WoW's history where it actually feels like people can actually do something with their builds as the vast majority of spells are now talents. It truly feels like I can build a spec for a raid where 100% of the spells I have will be used for the fight and nothing is "wasted".
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2022-10-23 at 03:21 PM.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Having 30 or 31 points per tree is way too much and leads to cookie cutter specs. And why isn't there a racial talent tree? 61 points split between three trees would work better.
    Even better - keep the same talents, but give us 31 whole points into the racial talent tree and ignore the current ones, since they're perfect as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Just be happy we get to keep many of these things, as with any borrowed power system we wouldn't normally get to keep them at all.

Complains about cookie cutter but then wants racial talents that would pretty much reduce every class to having a single BiS race

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    New talents is not what we wanted, thats for sure.

Now stuff we have had baseline since day 1 of the game. 18 or so years ago, is now removed and given as talents, to promote the illusion of choice. Most of the talents now are mandatory to get the class back to where it was before the patch. Don't like this bs at all. Talents should add to your class, not remove shit
    Talents DO add to your class. BUT the talent tree is replacing the skills you would obtain on leveling as well as the old talent choices.

I know this isn't exact and varies from spec to spec but it works roughly like this:

talent trees are pointless whether they have 500 points or 6. it will still lead to 2 or 3 builds being optimal. with 1-2 being the ones used by the vast majority. look at rift. you had three trees to dump points into, out of 9 different spec per class. everyone still used the builds that pumped the most or were best for healing/tanking. no one not even casuals had builds that were completely random. it was all based off the cookie cutter build with slight deviations away from a few points. same will happen in dragonfligth. we have learned this throughout nearly every mmo that has ever existed that had talent tree points.

if anything it's less cookie-cutter than the current one, I can't really wrap my head around how you came to that conclusion!!!

I played a bit with the talent calculator and I didn't have to make any compromises whatsoever. I could get everything I wanted and have points left over. Not very interesting.
    That is bullshit, if you had points left that you apparently didn't need you must not know how the game works, to have a build with the same functionality as it is currently in Shadowlands you need all the points.

The point of a racial tree would be that investing in it would take points off the class trees.
    Except there aren't too many points, you are the only person that I have ever heard saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    There will be cookie cutter builds for certain fights for sure, thats simply the nature of the system, but general cookie cutter builds will be impossible.
    Obviously, it even comes with at least one included with the 'starter build'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    talent trees are pointless whether they have 500 points or 6. it will still lead to 2 or 3 builds being optimal.
    Sure there will always be optimal builds, BUT a tree with many points gives options for more creative builds (like the old talent trees) although hybrid specs are not really possible for most classes.
    Last edited by diller; 2022-10-23 at 04:27 PM.