Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Well then, i have AMAZING news for you - nothing has changed, that's still an option. They have simply put themselves into a middle ground between the old one and a fully modded ui, for those who dont want to use addons, but wanted a bit more control.

- - - Updated - - -

Former glory? The ui is one of the most disliked features of the game, and one of the most complained about - it would be by FAR the most hated feature, if not for addons. This is a prime example of damned if they do, damned if they dont.
    What do you mean? The UI is one of the MOST liked features about WoW it's basically the reason WoW is so great to begin with.
    Writes insightful, well-mannered posts in the Community Council.

Quote Originally Posted by nvaelz View Post
    What do you mean? The UI is one of the MOST liked features about WoW it's basically the reason WoW is so great to begin with.
    What on earth gives you that idea? I have played since day 1 and not once in all those years has anyone ever said to me "i play wow because the ui is so good". I have seen an endless stream of addons that alter the UI extensively though.....Almost like people DONT like the standard ui, and never have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

The new UI will not change anything for me. I only used a few addons, things that default WoW UI is unlikely to support (e.g., spam filter, etc.). WoW did not need a lot of addons for years. Most people didn't even know you could search/customize/sort default bag interface.

The addons I use are mostly for mogs, recipes and their locations. Found a replacement for Archy that is like it and I can actually do Archeology again. Oh and All The Things, biggest mistake of my life...
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

10+ Year Old Account
    ill use the new ui for action bars and such, but the UI still doesnt quite cut it for healing frames compared to better ones out there. Ill still keep WAs and Plater among some other addons. My time in the beta, healing was not as comfortable using the stock ui compared to using Vuhdo or Elv
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Won't be changing my addons. The default UI still can't hide my health bar out of combat (there's no reason to have it visible at all times), plus other elements still can't be moved or resized.

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    I played WoW only using recount for over 6 years, getting multiple gladiators, 2700 3s, hero, mythic raids, aotc, ksm, 496/500 or so on the next mount achievement. Addons are a crutch.
    You say mythic raids, was any of that progression? With no boss timers at all? No add-ons / WA for the gimmick bosses at all?
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    I expect that once they decide that their UI revamp project is done they won't touch the UI anymore except occasionally adding a sliver of the functionality of some popular addon, aka what they have done since vanilla.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.
    I expect that with the UI revamp - a different buisness plan will follow up. They can't keep going fire and forget(think borrowed power iterations).

Also - I think that's why the talent system is specific and scalable. They want to add new talents with each expansion and keep it. As for the UI - they made a pretty big deal out of it - with commercials and implementation(recoding is far more complex than modification by addons).

Whatever that came with DF - I think it will be kept and improved on over time. And I really want to believe that.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-25 at 10:14 PM.

Since I have always stayed with the default UI and never used any UI addons, I'll be doing the same now.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

The bosses themselves have timers and indicators, it's been like that since at least legion raids. Only time I ever used WA was because every starting AOTC group for H QA had a literal addon that told them who didn't have the WA. Didn't need it to do the mechanics properly, removed it immediately after that. Blizzard has actually done a good job at giving indicators and having fixed timers for everything natively in the game.
    You didnt answer the question, why not? And AOTC is heroic, not mythic, i specifically asked about mythic, which you said you did.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    WeakAuras are so overrated and unnecessary (not saying that they cannot be useful though) where I bet that many players have either become so dependent on it that they are straight up lost without it or they get so much info funelled to them that the info provided to them is largely useless or it confuses them even (visual clutter).

I have stopped using them in Legion (I was a big user of WA in WoD) and I have still managed to get KSM and cutting edge a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Necessary is pretty subjective but there's a good reason everyone remotely serious uses WAs.

That doesn't mean you need a million of them, but there's no better mod for information delivery.

I personally like the class package WAs and just make my regular bars invisible - looks better and it's easier to use!
    Weakauras is not just an addon; that's a mistake most of its haters do; in practice it's mainly a "host of addons". It can take ANY LUA POSSIBLE for any other addon and use it in order to trigger one of its auras; it can even use functions of other loaded addons directly (e.g. you can check the TSM price from inside a weakaura as if you "were a TSM dev" without waiting for that addon to add that feature); sure it can also be convenient with its out-of-the-box tick boxes too but that's not its biggest power (and BTW: there are other addons that do the exact same thing but weakauras happens to win the contest for now).

Also don't underestimate how much worse the default game can be at gameplay efficiency without good addons/weakauras/whatever; e.g. most people hear a spam of sound effects by default and are spammed with fancy graphics; disabling all that and having a waura with an audio reminder can be 200% more effective that trying to find a graphic inside the raiding spam of visuals (moral of the story: use audio in wakauras kids (keep the game's 'dialogue' audio on (that's very helpful from bosses))).
    Last edited by epigramx; 2022-10-26 at 03:07 PM.

Well most of my addons still work. WoW rework on the UI stinks.

To me about 95% of the game is fine to play with no addons.

The other 5% is a handful of mythic raiders fights where weakaura are pretty much required to handle assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    To me about 95% of the game is fine to play with no addons.

The other 5% is a handful of mythic raiders fights where weakaura are pretty much required to handle assignments.
    WAs does way more than boss stuff, lots of people used it track buffs/debuffs/procs and even completely replace default action bars, which are super cluttered.

Yes, and I only had recount for those. Blizzard negated addon requirements years ago by having innate timers and queues in the boss fights. If you ever stopped to pay attention to the mechanics instead of an addon, it wouldn't be just a contentious statement. Every mechanic has a timer, whether its fixed, health %, energy bar, off another mechanic. It turns the boss into a dance.
    Which mythic progression raids were you doing with no addons? How long after release?

Will definitely be dropping Bartender. I'll try to play with default click macros for healing, but I suspect I'll probably still want to run Vuhdo. Will definitely still need Details, DBM and Weak Auras.

Started with a clean, addonless login. Started to play around with the new ui, but got annoyed and paralyzed (plus the fps lag is horrible) so logged off for now.
    I'm not in the mood to set up 20-25 chars (review and import talents, place abilities how I want them to be, review macros and keybinds, change ui settings for class specific nuances like how a shaman doesnt have stance bar but other classes do have, or the ever annoying pet bar placement on my hunters and dk vs my paladin, or the fact that I can't resize the exit vehicle button and it's covering half my screen compared to the scaled down action bars...)
    Quickly realized I need ATT in my wow life, so installed it, but tooltips don't work.
    Some of the new ui options are just not quite there where I can just replace them, but I have to review them one by one and maybe get used to the new ui's shortcomings so I don't have to maintain one more addon...
    so yeah. I'll sleep on this one or two days... or weeks.
    I like the new talents and appreciate the effort the devs put into it, on the beta a couple of months ago I was able to set up my shaman that was basically a lava burst cannon which was very fun, not sure if it's still a thing, but I just don't have the patience right now to deal with it on all my chars. I just don't.
    This is my least favorite time in wow.
    Last edited by Lei; 2022-10-26 at 10:05 PM.

Im finally getting rid of shadowframes, baggon ( However, Im going to miss seeing all my characters gold.) and bartender. Others will stay like DBM, damage meter, rare spawner, all of the things, ect.

As of now I can't drop a single addon. Bartender was very close, but since it's not possible to show bars on mouseover without it, it has to stay. Was thinking about dropping SuF a few times tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nvaelz View Post
    I don't think that something good needs change. We've all had the ability to setup our own UIs for ages and it's never been a problem. One of the things I really dislike is how the LFG eye is now placed down by the bagspace instead of on the minimap it's just counter-intuitive XD
    It would be less of an issue if we'd be allowed to "Edit Mode" move that eye but it's not possible.

The new UI doesn't have enough control to justify it's existence, it's like an addon we've all used b4 but it has way less functionality and freedom. If I was to design the WoW UI I would add some functions.

-Option to use the old default ui or modern ui.
    -Expanded functionality in the edit mode to cover ALL aspects of the new ui.
    -More bar space if desired to make bars addons obselete.
    Wait, the lfg eye being down there is a bug, right? That's not going to stay right?

Don't think the goal was ever to replace ALL add-ons but to just reduce the need. Add ONS are great, but theore you have, the more chance for conflicts, performance issues Etc. Not to mention every patch day waiting for things to get updated for use again.Having the essentials be default helps a lot.