Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    It was told from the perspective of the Aspects, who had no idea what caused him to turn cannibal. It was never said.

And do you think the barely sentient proto-dragons are really the most reliable to tell the difference between Old God corruption and Undeath? I mean hell, look at what happened to Galakrond.

"As he continued to consume the life-energies of his fellow proto-dragons, Galakrond grew hideous mutations all over his body (such as limbs and even eyes) "

That sounds pretty Old God to me. Deathwing grew extra limbs/tentacles, Cho'Gall grew extra eyes...
    Ok so here we go. Either this is one of the most egregious retcons in the history of Warcraft and the Old Gods are suddenly capable of using Death magic.

OR Blizzard just has incredibly shitty writers and just don't give a fuck about consistency anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Like I said, people need to accept that they're rewriting the entire story. It's been happening since WoD.
    They didn't rewrite the story in WoD because it was an AU. They didn't rewrite much in Legion either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    There are many defenses I've heard over the years "It is purposefully boring" certainly is one of them.
    So, there is this paradox in the DJ'ing:

DJs are forced to downplay in specific situations - otherwise the crowd goes too crazy, too soon(its creates too much activity outside the box). It's a real thing.

And it is certainly true in marketing, which creates expectations(see WoD) and people goes crazy.
    I really believe that it's a downplay version of WoD - because if they wanted - they could had even made it better than WoD version(they know how the community recieved WoD animations).

And so - this purposefully boring.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-10-26 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Ok so here we go. Either this is one of the most egregious retcons in the history of Warcraft and the Old Gods are suddenly capable of using Death magic.

OR Blizzard just has incredibly shitty writers and just don't give a fuck about consistency anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

They didn't rewrite the story in WoD because it was an AU. They didn't rewrite much in Legion either.
    They literally did an entire quest line with Calia about how necromancy is not solely the domain of Death magic.

Is it just me, or was pre-aspect Neltharion more purple than black? I guess that would fit the in-game mural with a purple dragon instead of a black one. My head canon: during the transformation, Titans changed his color because they associated purple with void, so they would have none of it.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    They literally did an entire quest line with Calia about how necromancy is not solely the domain of Death magic.
    I don't recall that quest at all. Not saying it doesn't exist though. Could you link me to said quest?

- - - Updated - - -

Yogg-Saron is certainly capable of using death magic.
    Between claiming to be the god of death, utilising even undead versions of his faceless (and rendering them literally immortal unless destroyed by greater power, such as Thorim's in example) as well as inflicting plagues. Icecrown Citadel too is testament to his potency in relation to death magic, serving as a suitable conduit for the most potsnt of death's powers during the jailer fight. Furthermore its spawn (the Nerubians) are immune to domination magic and plagues while alive (and despite having rebelled against him), another testament to his aptitude to matters pertaining death magic.

His clearly visible influence in the cavern where Frostmourne lay, aswell as the usability of his blood in the process of forging a rival to it (Shadowmourne) which posessed many of the same soul-severing qualities of the original are yet further indications.

It's good to note that the old gods, though ostensibly loyal to the void from which they were born, are not limited to just void magic. In fact only N'zoth seems a pure void magic user, given C'thun's monnikers as being related to chaos and Yogg-Saron's relations to death.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-10-26 at 10:32 AM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Yogg-Saron is certainly capable of using death magic.
    Between claiming to be the god of death, utilising even undead versions of his faceless (and rendering them literally immortal unless destroyed by greater power, such as Thorim's in example) as well as inflicting plagues. Icecrown Citadel too is testament to his potency in relation to death magic, serving as a suitable conduit for the most potsnt of death's powers during the jailer fight. Furthermore its spawn (the Nerubians) are immune to domination magic and plagues while alive (and despite having rebelled against him), another testament to his aptitude to matters pertaining death magic.

His clearly visible influence in the cavern where Frostmourne lay, aswell as the usability of his blood in the process of forging a rival to it (Shadowmourne) which posessed many of the same soul-severing qualities of the original are yet further indications.

It's good to note that the old gods, though ostensibly loyal to the void from which they were born, are not limited to just void magic. In fact only N'zoth seems a pure void magic user, given C'thun's monnikers as being related to chaos and Yogg-Saron's relations to death.
    All of the Old Gods are capable of inflicting the Curse of Flesh. That's not something unique to Yogg-saron. His Faceless Ones also aren't undead. I can't find any mentions of undead Faceless Ones anywhere. And saronite was only used for ICC because it completely reflects the Light and is nigh-indestructible. Also, his Faceless Ones are immune to domination magic because they're living embodiments of insanity.

Saronite's soul-severing quality is because Yogg-Saron is a living embodiment of Void magic. Of course metal infused with his blood is going to rend both flesh and soul.

Yogg-Saron doesn't ACTUALLY have relations to death. He just calls himself that because he's insane and because he wanted to intimidate those who were fighting against him. There isn't a single mention of Yogg-Saron actively using Death magic anywhere. At least, I sure as hell can't find any mentions of it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall that quest at all. Not saying it doesn't exist though. Could you link me to said quest?
    https://www.wowhead.com/quest=65656/call-to-lordaeron
    Not exactly in quest dialogue but during the quest line two npcs discuss how all magic can animate corpses. It’s not that they can use power from the realm of death, it’s that they can use void magic to get the same effect.
    Like how void elf’s were animating the dead during bfa
    Last edited by Rustedsaint; 2022-10-26 at 10:51 AM.

We've seen the fel-powered Legion using Death and Void magic before.

Also, the novel was written by god damn Knaak, creator of Rhonin and his bloody sentient-psychic-teleporting-raptor squad. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was the one responsible for cocking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Hardly egregious. Minor changes to move the story forward. This has been happening steadily since Warlords. You can see they're writing the story in a new direction and it's going to take retcons to do it. Why people haven't been able to see this and come to terms with it yet is beyond me. Anything from the traditional lore they preserve ought to be perceived as a gift to the fans.

Original lore: Galakrond eats his homies, goes nuts.

New lore: Yoggy-boi corrupts the waters the dragons drink, Galakrond eats his homies who drink the water too, goes nuts.

When it comes to the Titans, learning we've been lied to isn't a retcon, it's just a played-out excuse.
    You're on mmo champ where everyone is an award winning author and game dev. They can single handedly do everything better and will never shut up about it.

Finding a rational post like yours is like finding a full bottle of beer after a metal festival.

Depending on what the next one holds we may see all the patch villains in these

Yogg calls himself god of death during his wrath fight.

- - - Updated - - -

Yogg calls himself god of death during wrath encounter. Perhaps he meant our deaths!

3+ Year Old Account
    This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Feels really great to see more traditional animation compared to the cartoons we have today
    I hope this doesn't get as heartbreaking as the Ardenweald one was
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

OH NO ANOTHER BIG BAD IS LOOMING YET AGAIN WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING? Also the drakthyr still look like scrawny shrimps

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    This is just horrible, both the plot and the animation. Let alone the sound and music.
    Sound and music was awesome for me,
    plot is like meh
    Animation is good but i prefer anything with more frames

Old Gods aren't capable of necromancy. They're literally physical manifestations of Void magic, not Death magic.
    Necromancy =/= death magic. You can perform necromancy without using death magic. We saw that in BfA where the void elves used void magic to resurrect dead dinosaurs in the Alliance's campaign against the Horde. Also in BfA we saw the Holy Light perform necromancy and bring Calia into undeath. And then in Shadowlands we have Sindane saying that "it doesn't matter which magic you use, necromancy is necromancy".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Old Gods aren't capable of necromancy. They're literally physical manifestations of Void magic, not Death magic.
    Blizzard has been using void magic for necromancy since Wod with the shadow moon clan and then again in BFA with the tide sages, even as far back as cata we had void raising undead in the end times dungeon.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-26 at 02:33 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah that was the hole point, he was informing the dracthyr of the past not the viewers.
    The artistry would however lie in presenting a story that offers something relevant to the player as well.

Imagine if a video game features a cutscene where the player already 100% knows what's going on and it's just there to reveal it to the character the player is controlling.
    Unless you're putting a huge focus on the reaction of the playable character (which this short story doesn't do), then that's just a pointless cutscene, if you can't weave that revelation into something that is also relevant to the consumer of that media, it's just bad artistically.

All of the Old Gods are capable of inflicting the Curse of Flesh. That's not something unique to Yogg-saron. His Faceless Ones also aren't undead. I can't find any mentions of undead Faceless Ones anywhere. And saronite was only used for ICC because it completely reflects the Light and is nigh-indestructible. Also, his Faceless Ones are immune to domination magic because they're living embodiments of insanity.

Saronite's soul-severing quality is because Yogg-Saron is a living embodiment of Void magic. Of course metal infused with his blood is going to rend both flesh and soul.

Yogg-Saron doesn't ACTUALLY have relations to death. He just calls himself that because he's insane and because he wanted to intimidate those who were fighting against him. There isn't a single mention of Yogg-Saron actively using Death magic anywhere. At least, I sure as hell can't find any mentions of it.
    The Nerhbians are not faceless ones, the curse of flesh is closer to life magic than to death magic, and as far as i'm aware we were never let in on the reasoning behind using saronite to build ICC while the jailer's fight clearly shows it to be a potent death conduit.

And "of course it's going to rend flesh and soul" is another pretty big hint at" "Hey this guy would have no trouble at all wieldong death magic.".

Why would he even need to intimidate, especially if he's insane? Most old gods hardly seem aware of us due to their "sentience" being all over time and place. If anything the whispers and all that are more manifestations of their own being flitting around.

And between the devs stating Yogg's relation to be poorly explored and the heavy presence of his literal blood in nearly all death related objects and places (including the cavern in which frostmourne lay) it is a bold claim to say Yogg has no relation to death magic.
    Especially with him hurling literal plague during his fight.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Seemed kinda cheap and I don't really understand the appeal of the new character.

Why would an aspect take on such a passive tone? Hes still one of the most powerful forces in lore.