Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    When you snagged the 12700k, did you do a fresh install of Windows 11? The Windows 11 scheduler was designed for those big-little Intel CPUs and is otherwise a variable.

I ran WoW (though with no addons) for about 6 years at 1440p UW with either a 4790k/3950x and 1080/3060ti/3070/6900xt and never ran into such issues. The probability of it being a scheduler issue is high, which you could determine with a software like hwmonitor that'll show usage of big-little cores to see if its trying to run WoW off the E cores for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone running G-sync, I recommend manually disabling v-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel. Its something I've been doing since 2014. Its otherwise set to 'application controlled' and can be forced on in some scenarios.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also ensure that your iGPU isn't being used versus the 3080. You can set your GPU in the advanced settings. I would also recommend adjusting nvidia control panel power settings and Windows power settings to prioritize your nvidia GPU for a gaming desktop.

- - - Updated - - -

1440p UW isn't more demanding than 4K... The 1.6x more pixels per frame are far more taxing than ultrawide. 4K even runs into weird nuances with certain games when it comes to VRAM usage and specific settings versus 1440p UW which is far far closer to 1440p 16:9 than 4K in performance requirements.
    Hey!

I see myself as a fairly good and knowledgeable person in the computer world. I did of course reinstall W11 when getting new gpu(was a complete new build anyway :P).
    As you can see in the various screenshots in Stormwind im getting fine FPS but in crowded places it dips so low. I simply cannot understand why and why the CPU and GPU usage are not above 40% in any time.. In other games, such as BF5 cpu usage is normal, 60-80% I believe while GPU is 99%.

Running wow with no addons makes no difference in PC.
    Last edited by Xofa; 2022-11-22 at 06:26 AM.
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Hey!

I see myself as a fairly good and knowledgeable person in the computer world. I did of course reinstall W11 when getting new gpu(was a complete new build anyway :P).
    As you can see in the various screenshots in Stormwind im getting fine FPS but in crowded places it dips so low. I simply cannot understand why and why the CPU and GPU usage are not above 40% in any time
    I made an entire post about why it works this way. Maybe you should read it.

WoW has recently gotten BETTER at multi-core awareness, but only mildly so. That's why you're seeing "28%" CPU usage - the game is only using a few cores. Remember that that is total CPU usage, not per-core; if you had only one core going 100%, it would show you even less CPU usage. That 12700K is a 12 core, 20 thread part IIRC (8P/4E). If you looked at individual core usage (you can set that in the OSD), youd see one or two cores totally pinned and maybe 2-3 more running 20-30% (handling background stuff like the audio, etc).
    There's a sample. and specificallly why you aren't seeing 100% CPU usage - because you never will. WoW cannot use all those cores no matter what.

.. In other games, such as BF5 cpu usage is normal, 60-80% I believe while GPU is 99%.
    Because BF5 is running entirely on your computer, and not waiting (and thereby sitting idle) waiting on data from a server to issue draw calls. Even in Multiplayer, it uses predictive pathing like just about every other non-BR shooter, meaning that the game is "Estimating" where your enemies are going, and only forcing parity once or twice a second (if that). This allows your computer to spin draw calls off to as many threads as it needs to. Its also why single player games dont tend to have these problems. Because they aren't dependent on outside factors for their performance.

Check ur preferences and check if u updated ur video driver

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    This has been a problem in wow specifically as long as it's been around. There nothing you can do on your end to help for that. And in particular yesterday with the Dragonflight launch even people with 3090ti's were getting under 20 fps in very busy zones. So your PC power, video drivers, etc. aren't going to help. The wow engine and servers just aren't able to support more than >50 players in the same close area (like the Zeppelin tower yesterday), which I've always found ironic as an mmo.

Keep in mind this is not the same as when areas aren't busy, which then is more reliant on client-side processing. So that's where a better PC does help get better framerates in wow. But in busy zones with hundreds of people at once, it brings Blizzard's servers to it's knees and that's when we get ~10 fps no matter what system you run on your end. For one example there was a 400 player capital city raid event a while back (10 full 40-man organized raid groups for it), which actually did completely crash the servers. They didn't just lag (although we all got 3 fps for awhile), it brought the world server down. So it's a long-standing problem.

Also be careful to not mistake other unrelated changes as impacting this. Going to a less busy area or people leaving that area will fix it. But sometimes people will reboot or change a video driver and then login, and go to a different zone that isn't packed and suddenly the 150+ fps framerates return. So they incorrectly conclude that the reboot or a driver update fixed it, which wasn't really the case at all.