1. #67801
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Because Glasses are an american thing? Or are you just thrown by him not having a beard? He's still supposed to be a child. This all seems to be you seeing the first child dwarf in WoW history & not being able to accept it.
    No, because he looks like a self-inert, like many of the Dracthy visage forms. Nothing about him says dwarf other than the color of his skin and big nose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Who cares about there voice lines, there Lore Makes them nerds.

    Moria spends all her time studying and teaching with her only friend being Anduin another nerd.

    And Thaurissan likely does the same given that he’s wizard not a warrior and a coward to scared to fight for freedom to scared to fight IF to scared to even fight for ironfoe. Hell he likely wrote Moria poetry given that there suppose to be Romeo and Juliet.
    Even "scholarly" classes like the Mage and Warlock mostly originate from the Dark Irons, who are focused on fiery magic. Does this kid looks like he's going to incinerate anyone?

  2. #67802
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    There was nothing nerdy about them. They didn't have voice-lines like: "this is interesting, can't wait to study it. Knowledge is power. Thank science" etc, etc...
    "Who knows what secrets we'll uncover?"
    Brann Bronzebeard

    So I guess it's not a big deal after all.

    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    I'm not saying he can't. I just firmly believe they based his looks on one of developers. Looks way too "modern" american for a Dark Iron Dwarf, if you ask me.
    He's small, wears glasses and likes learning, none of that is specific to modern, nor american.
    MMO Champs :

  3. #67803
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Presuming we get a full Northrend revamp. Could just be the areas near to Ulduar. Hard say.
    I feel like they'll have to do full Northrend. EK you can excuse as a partial revamp because it's so damn big and has so many cultures to cover. Northrend has most of its cultures retroactively covered (Tuskarr, Nerubian, Dragons, Titans, Scourge) to the point that they are going to struggle to add new things.

  4. #67804
    Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    25,438
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Even "scholarly" classes like the Mage and Warlock mostly originate from the Dark Irons, who are focused on fiery magic. Does this kid looks like he's going to incinerate anyone?
    the classes that came form WC1-3 where dark irons didn’t exist originated from them? What?

    And no child looks like there going to incinerate any one and they spend years of being a nerd before they can. Do you think every other dwarf is a fresh 16-18 year old when we see them throwing spells around?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  5. #67805
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Nope, but they have an overarching characterization that has to shape their various people. Otherwise, what's the point of them being dwarves?



    That's why he's a Death Knight.



    There was nothing nerdy about them. They didn't have voice-lines like: "this is interesting, can't wait to study it. Knowledge is power. Thank science" etc, etc...



    I'm not saying he can't. I just firmly believe they based his looks on one of developers. Looks way too "modern" american for a Dark Iron Dwarf, if you ask me.



    No, not at all. But, they are still savages, with or without fel corruption. WoD showed us that.



    They're scottish, but whatever.
    Didn't know "Death Knight" is a race.

  6. #67806
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,398
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Does this kid looks like he's going to incinerate anyone?
    Why does he need to?

    You do understand the context of his character right?
    He's nobility, literally a prince, being raised by a single mother with scholarly interests, surrounding by a society that venerates exploration and research.

    No shit he is a nerd.
    Idk what you expected him to look like, but he wasn't gonna receive chiseled abs, Scharzenegger arms and a beard that rivals Rapunzel, especially not at his age.

    And your insistence on him being a self-insert says more about you, than it does about the character design.
    Sounds more like he reminds you of your middle school years, and you are now projecting those feelings onto him.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  7. #67807
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,937
    "Dagran is a self-inserted nerd" is really a bizarre hill to die on.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  8. #67808
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    "Dagran is a self-inserted nerd" is really a bizarre hill to die on.
    I can understand wanting more masculine male characters, and being disappointed with Dagran, but that's a really weird way to go about it yeah.

    He's not even portrayed as weak or whiny from what I've seen.

  9. #67809
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I feel like they'll have to do full Northrend. EK you can excuse as a partial revamp because it's so damn big and has so many cultures to cover. Northrend has most of its cultures retroactively covered (Tuskarr, Nerubian, Dragons, Titans, Scourge) to the point that they are going to struggle to add new things.
    I honestly wonder why they chose to do Nerubians for TWW knowing they'd go to Northrend down the line. Especially when the area is so much closer to Ahn'qiraj. They could have done the same things with Qiraji instead. Beetles instead of spiders

  10. #67810
    I hope Dagran grows a full beard by the end of TLT

  11. #67811
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly wonder why they chose to do Nerubians for TWW knowing they'd go to Northrend down the line. Especially when the area is so much closer to Ahn'qiraj. They could have done the same things with Qiraji instead. Beetles instead of spiders
    It's definitely partially because of that. I was thinking Qiraji would make much more sense, but its mostly to reuse them.

  12. #67812
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I can understand wanting more masculine male characters, and being disappointed with Dagran, but that's a really weird way to go about it yeah.

    He's not even portrayed as weak or whiny from what I've seen.
    He seems excited to learn. I hope he does get some epic caster moment though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    It's definitely partially because of that. I was thinking Qiraji would make much more sense, but its mostly to reuse them.
    Which feels lazy. And weird because Azjol'Nerub would be my #1 reason for a Northrend revamp and while I still expect it, I just won't be that hyped for it.

  13. #67813
    Even all the short stories really nailed home Dagran Jr.'s personality, constantly talk about how much he almost idol worships his great uncle Brann, how he spends almost every day reading, would spend all his free time in the Hall of Explorer's etc.

    Its good to have variety. All the major dwarf npcs fill a different niche. Magni has that important ancient venerable King trope that represents the dwarves closeness to the titans and is arguably the most skilled smith out there, Moira is a priest and a fierce and shrewd politician, Muradin is a peerless warrior that exonerates traditional dwarf martial prowess, Brann is an explorer, and Dagran represents the more studious scholarly aspect, which Warcraft dwarves always had. It just never was a spotlight.

    Im sure when he comes of age he'll grow a beard and be slapped in some fancy dwarf armour but.....right now he'd just a kid who likes to read books and listen to his Uncle and Grand dad's stories.

    No idea where people are coming up with a self insert?? Nothing says self insert like a prepubescent nerdy teenager right? Like, is the fact he's young, doesnt have a giant beard and isn't swinging flaming hammers while clad in plate screaming battle hyms the reason he's being called a self insert? Like wut

    This is coming from an old school warhammer dwarf player, and probably the most dwarf obsessed guy on these forums, and I say Dagran is more than fine.

  14. #67814
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    8,369
    As expected, TWW profession will have separate knowledge. It's fine system, but really need catch up later into expac. In current point of DF there should simply be vendor for dragon isles supplies/similar currency or at least releasing weekly brakes from all sources.

  15. #67815
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Which feels lazy. And weird because Azjol'Nerub would be my #1 reason for a Northrend revamp and while I still expect it, I just won't be that hyped for it.
    I really do think TLT is going to be the black sheep, unless they go HEAVY into a package of new races like Nerubian (Humanoid), Tuskarr, Vrykul. There's so much shit reused from DF and TWW there that it will feel heavily redundant.

    Earthen, Tuskarr, Nerubians, Keepers/Watchers, Tuskarr, Dragons... ALL reused. And a lot of Scourge stuff from SL.
    Last edited by Cheezits; 2024-04-19 at 05:10 PM.

  16. #67816
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    "Who knows what secrets we'll uncover?"
    Brann Bronzebeard

    So I guess it's not a big deal after all.
    Brann is not his father.
    I'm not saying dwarves cannot be scholars. I'm saying his looks are obviously based on "modern audiences".

    He's small, wears glasses and likes learning, none of that is specific to modern, nor american.
    I don't want to be the one saying this. But, i guess you can infer who this is referring to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    the classes that came form WC1-3 where dark irons didn’t exist originated from them? What?
    In dwarven culture.

    And no child looks like there going to incinerate any one and they spend years of being a nerd before they can. Do you think every other dwarf is a fresh 16-18 year old when we see them throwing spells around?
    He's just so out of place.
    Next thing we'll see dorkish Orcs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Didn't know "Death Knight" is a race.
    Class. It characterizes you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raetary View Post
    Why does he need to?

    You do understand the context of his character right?
    He's nobility, literally a prince, being raised by a single mother with scholarly interests, surrounding by a society that venerates exploration and research.

    No shit he is a nerd.
    Idk what you expected him to look like, but he wasn't gonna receive chiseled abs, Scharzenegger arms and a beard that rivals Rapunzel, especially not at his age.

    And your insistence on him being a self-insert says more about you, than it does about the character design.
    Sounds more like he reminds you of your middle school years, and you are now projecting those feelings onto him.
    Jesus christ, am i the only one seeing this? He's an obvious tribute to a progressive developer.

  17. #67817
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I can understand wanting more masculine male characters
    Anduin is now scared grizzled with a beard,and we now have an entire new host of characters, an entire new race, two entire zones and an entire new hub city dominated exclusive by ancient stone warriors who all have beards (even the women) and a zone filled with plate clad Crusaders and templars. I think people dont need to worry about things not being "Masculine" enough xD

  18. #67818
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,937
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Jesus christ, am i the only one seeing this? He's an obvious tribute to a progressive developer.
    You know, if you see so many peeps here opposing your theory, then maybe, juuuuust maybe, it is you who is wrong?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  19. #67819
    Lmao this guy's logic "He has glasses, and there's a developer that wear's glasses! It must mean he's that dev's self insert!!1!!!"

    Buddy 63.7% of adult Americans have glasses

  20. #67820
    The Lightbringer Lady Atia's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    Lmao this guy's logic "He has glasses, and there's a developer that wear's glasses! It must mean he's that dev's self insert!!1!!!"

    Buddy 63.7% of adult Americans have glasses
    What are you talking? Only nerdy, woke wow devs wear glasses and shave their beard!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •