Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i dont think there was any oficial post about it, just some of the devs said it unoficialy or something like that
    It was Tom Chilton who spilled the beans about Legion cresting 10M subs. It wasn't even in an English interview. It was an interview he did with a Polish gaming magazine. At the time, Chilton had Ion's current job so it felt pretty important. Blizzard then walked back the claim stating that it was a "mistranslation," but it does at least somewhat support the idea that Blizzard does like to brag when they have a lot of subscribers. Fairly immaterial for this discussion, imo, but a fun little piece of WoW trivia I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    "all office workers care and strictly follow all rules they never read" lmao
    Shareholders can sue, and the SEC can take a company to court. Employees will very quickly learn the personal cost of their actions if that happens.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    20 year old game that stopped being a mainstream phenomena a decade ago. Millennials have exited university and are working. They don't have unlimited free time to play the game anymore, but the game design is antithetical because it revolves around doing world quest chores, spamming mythic+, and raiding. Economy is getting worse. Spending $210+ on WoW per year every year adds up, and WoW no longer runs on cheap computers, and $210+ per year isn't a good value proposition for entertainment unless you care about raiding. WoW offers little else outside of that. So the playerbase has been declining for a decade and not enough new people are being brought in to replace them. Zoomers don't play MMOs. If they do, they beat FFXIV's storyline and unsub.
    I do agree with you that the recession and the cost of a computer to play WoW is a factor in the decline but the time that Millennials have to play games hasn't changed because most of them are not having a family. On the other hand, the enormous time sinks in WoW are definitely turning people off because the experience you get has become very copy paste with basic grinds and not much fun or immersion. The research is still showing that people are spending more time gaming (especially during Covid when the numbers for WoW hardly budged) than ever. The people that love a great MMORPG are still out there but I think most of them left a game that they felt was abandoning immersion and fun social experiences and moving towards time sink templates that can be made with the cheapest labor possible. I do think that Dragonflight is a very good step in the right direction but I also think that they burned the trust of a lot of people that would have liked this expansion pack. The trap they face now is that since the player base that stays, demands a more narrow type of game, Blizzard risks losing what paying players are left, by spending resources on the other parts of the game that might bring people back.
    Last edited by khazmodan; 2022-12-12 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I do agree with you that the recession and the cost of a computer to play WoW is a factor in the decline but the time that Millennials have to play games hasn't changed because most of them are not having a family.
    You know that Milennials are the generation born between 1980 and 1999/2000? That would make them 22-42 years old. You think most of them don't have families?

I'm guessing Dragonflight is at least around the 5 million mark for active players.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Today on I need to be mad at blizzard but I don't know what
    Haha, nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    I'm guessing Dragonflight is at least around the 5 million mark for active players.
    With most estimates around the 1m mark, what on earth gets you to 5m?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    My magic 8-ball just said it's 9.7 million. Where on earth did you get 1M?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    My magic 8-ball just said it's 9.7 million. Where on earth did you get 1M?
    Thanks for proving my point I guess. Although flawed, there is some consistency and logic behind the available estimates. I'm not saying they are accurate, but 5m? That's a huge jump up from said estimates.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Wow during prime times got 10 mil plus with Legion, WOTLK etc. So Dragonflight should have at least half of that amount. Dragonriding is also advertised a lot.

1 million players is what lower tier mmos like Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy XIV got.

Wow being way better or more popular should easily have more. A example would be ESO having around 1k viewers on twitch, FFXIV having around 5k viewers, and wow having a whooping over 100k viewers. Only one more popular right now is GTA online and that game got 10s of millions of players.

Dragonflight should have AT LEAST 6 million active players.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I believe the last few expansions they've noted the sales two weeks after launch. That was certainly the case for Shadowlands, I'm fairly certain it was for BfA as well.

So it would be most likely to hear something about Dragonflight's sales sometime this week, if they continue the trend.
    They usually mention something when it sounds best, in the recent case of OW they did so after 10 days, usually you brag about your week 1 sales in the entertainment industry. We will see if they release something to that effect within the first month or if they will remain suspiciously quiet. It's probably true that the china situation will have impacted them severely, because I doubt even all the junkies will buy an MMO that is scheduled for uncertain hiatus 1,5 months later.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were a bit lower than usualy as well - even without the china situation - there are plenty of factors that could facilitate it. I find myself kinda busy with the christmas preparations, the various christmas parties, etc. If I hadn't had to burn another week of vacation before the year ends I wouldn't have had much time to play at all. Blizzard has also proven time and time again that it's not really worth it to play the game in the beginning, maybe some people actually acted on that realization this time.

We will see if they come up with some numbers later. Right now I'm less concerned with the number of people playing and more with how much longer they will play with another endgame-log expansion.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2022-12-12 at 03:53 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Thanks for proving my point I guess. Although flawed, there is some consistency and logic behind the available estimates. I'm not saying they are accurate, but 5m? That's a huge jump up from said estimates.
    You're missing the point.

They're making fun of you for just putting a number out there with a vague "most estimates" attached instead of a source that people could go and check.

...after all, most estimates *I* have seen put DF numbers closer to 10 million. Which means the Magic-8-Ball number of 9.7m is only off by .3m while your 1m is off by 9m. That's 27 times worse, you know! CLEARLY THE MAGIC 8-BALL MUST BE CORRECT, QED, gg, thanks for playing, *mic drop*.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Who cares, honestly?

Shadowlands broke records and it was an awful expansion. Dragonflight might be commercially less successful but still end up being a solid expansion. As player I would be more concerned with my personal enjoyment over what's a financial success for Blizzard.
    And at the same time, SL was "abysmal" while still being better than the golden child that was Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatBlast View Post
    You said low tier mmos get 1 million, so ergo, dragonflight must have 1 million or so subs.
    But dragonflight is a high tier MMO as with every wow expansion so I'll say at least 7 million active players.

I'll say the number is who the fuck knows, wait for an announcement.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You're missing the point.

They're making fun of you for just putting a number out there with a vague "most estimates" attached instead of a source that people could go and check.

...after all, most estimates *I* have seen put DF numbers closer to 10 million. Which means the Magic-8-Ball number of 9.7m is only off by .3m while your 1m is off by 9m. That's 27 times worse, you know! CLEARLY THE MAGIC 8-BALL MUST BE CORRECT, QED, gg, thanks for playing, *mic drop*.
    No, YOU miss the point, entirely, and embarrassingly. You are digging DEEP to find numbers that align with your narrative, and then saying "my magic 8-ball number is accurate, but your magic 8-ball number is totally made up and fake". Thats the point being made by everyone without some weird emotional response when people even dare to suggest that DF active playerbase is far, far lower than what you want to believe.

But dragonflight is a high tier MMO as with every wow expansion so I'll say at least 7 million active players.
    The shadowlands storyline disproves that.

But dragonflight is a high tier MMO
    What makes DF a high tier MMO?

No, YOU miss the point, entirely, and embarrassingly. You are digging DEEP to find numbers that align with your narrative, and then saying "my magic 8-ball number is accurate, but your magic 8-ball number is totally made up and fake". Thats the point being made by everyone without some weird emotional response when people even dare to suggest that DF active playerbase is far, far lower than what you want to believe.
    Spoken like a true imaginator who could just shut everyone up by, you know, providing the actual data they're supposedly drawing from; but instead of doing that just goes on rants about how other people's numbers suck worse, ESPECIALLY the made-up ones.

Very convincing

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Spoken like a true imaginator who could just shut everyone up by, you know, providing the actual data they're supposedly drawing from; but instead of doing that just goes on rants about how other people's numbers suck worse, ESPECIALLY the made-up ones.

Very convincing
    Still not getting it - there is no accurate data. How is this still going over your head?