Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    has it failed on it's own merits though? sure, it had less sales than Shadowlands but if I remember correctly Shadowlands broke records for its day 1 sales so purely in terms of sales it could be pretty good. also, as was stated there are more people playing DF now than there were playing Shadowlands; the retention is higher. so therefore people who are playing it are quite clearly enjoying it more than they did Shadowlands, because they are still playing.
    Thats not what they said and why does DF get a pass for doing so shitty? People came back for Legion after what is still arguable the worst expansion. The same can be said for mists as well. Could also be that DF is just that shitty. It really is pretty cheap and doesn't offer much if you aren't into group pve. The fact that you like it because raiding and m+ remain sacrosanct and untouched by budgetary concerns doesn't actually make it good.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2023-02-07 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Thats not what they said and why does DF get a pass for doing so shitty?
    Not going to touch on the rest because i disagree with most of it, and would happily discuss it but pretty sure its off topic, so for another time.

What i absolutely, 100% agree with is this really strange mentality many (not all) staunch defenders of DF say - "its not THAT bad, its better than SL". I have seen it over and over again, thread after thread - the same response - "its not THAT bad". I have asked this before and been heckled endlessly, but when did our expectations of any game, let alone a blizzard game, LET ALONE WOW, go from "the best mmo available period" to "its not THAT bad".

For those enjoying DF, power to you, im genuinely happy you like the game and dont have a bad word to say about anyone having a good time playing a video game - i have played Ghost Recon: Wildlands start to finish 6 times now - 6 full playthroughs of a game that launched to TERRIBLE fan reception. Granted, it improved greatly over the years, im just pointing out i like things others hate, and dont hate on those who like things i dont.

I just cant get my head around the bar being SO LOW for a company like Acti-Blizz. The same confusion occurs with Bioware, who could release a game where you create a generic character, name it, and 2 seconds after you hit PLAY it says "GAME OVER" and fans would still claim its genius and an amazing product. CDPR are another example.

One thing i will say, and totally off topic, is for whatever reason, VALVE are the opposite - if its not the best game of the decade the fanbase fucking crucify Gabe, and that takes some solid timber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    "While early Dragonflight sales have not reached the level of the prior expansion, community feedback on the title has been positive" (from the Q4 2022 report)
    Pretty telling statement. They do not give official numbers for expansion sales which is a precedent. Each and every expansion had its sales numbers released. Not mentioning them means they must be lower than for any other expansion before. Must be a new sales-low for WoW at this point.

I find it funny that they try to downplay this by adding a completely meaningless statement about community feedback, which is 100% cherry picked. They could have said anything based on community feedback.

The pretty great Q4 numbers only happened because of Overwatch 2, Diablo Immortal, Wrath of the Lich King Classic and Dragonflight. Blizzard had quarters where just one of those titles was enough to carry the numbers, now they needed all of them.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2023-02-07 at 09:32 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Not mentioning them means they must be lower than for any other expansion before. Must be a new sales-low for WoW at this point.
    Lol, of course you had to come and top all doomsayers here.

Yes, WoW is all time low, thats why they are investing and releasing 6 patches this year alone xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post

Yes, WoW is all time low, thats why they are investing and releasing 6 patches this year alone xD.
    It is at an all time low. If not, they would have given us numbers. For someone who was so obsessed with expansion sales, you're laughably ignorant and oblivious in regards to this - but what else is expected. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Q1 of 2023 will be devastating for them when they have nothing besides some patches for WoW to carry those numbers.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

7+ Year Old Account
    Not mentioning them means they must be lower than for any other expansion before. Must be a new sales-low for WoW at this point.
    "Was lower then the highest sales ever, therefore it must be the lowest ever."
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It is at an all time low. If not, they would have given us numbers. For someone who was so obsessed with expansion sales, you're laughably ignorant and oblivious in regards to this - but what else is expected. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Q1 of 2023 will be devastating for them when they have nothing besides some patches for WoW to carry those numbers.
    We have full prophet mode here xD. Even on good days you and logic were not best friends, but this... Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account

not agreeing with him but we saw very good detailed plan for Anthem and u can see they just canceled it later and screw over the customers
    i still think this exp is best even for launch in comparison with last 2 exps, but is that good enough? they did claim that this exp has less sub cancel in compare to SL
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    not agreeing with him but we saw very good detailed plan for Anthem and u can see they just canceled it later and screw over the customers
    i still think this exp is best even for launch in comparison with last 2 exps, but is that good enough? they did claim that this exp has less sub cancel in compare to SL
    Sure, but we see them actually executing this plan. Of course big test will be 10.1.

Shadowlands obviously were more crowded on launch, simply because more people were stuck in home. Its ridicolous when people ignore this major factor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands start to finish 6 times now
    Oh, me too! And I don't even like the genre. It really is a hidden gem!

OT: DF is a flop, confirmed by numbers. All the forum screamers going 'back to basics' got their way, and everyone enjoying systems got f-ed, and quit. The obvious outcome really.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Thats not what they said and why does DF get a pass for doing so shitty? People came back for Legion after what is still arguable the worst expansion. The same can be said for mists as well. Could also be that DF is just that shitty. It really is pretty cheap and doesn't offer much if you aren't into group pve. The fact that you like it because raiding and m+ remain sacrosanct and untouched by budgetary concerns doesn't actually make it good.
    That's true, but outside of vanilla when people were new and actually exploring the game, when did WoW offer anything of value outside of group pve/pvp?

Sure, but we see them actually executing this plan. Of course big test will be 10.1.

Shadowlands obviously were more crowded on launch, simply because more people were stuck in home. Its ridicolous when people ignore this major factor.
    You seem to forget that BfA also had a bigger launch than DF and there were no lockdowns back then. Maybe the simple truth is that Legion was just a damn good expansion that breathed new life into a dying game and BfA and SL benefited from it because players kept returning hoping they'd be as good or even better than Legion.

So I have a simple question for you. If Legion is a lot of players' favorite expansion, what does DF offer them that would make them think it's gonna be as good as Legion? Think about it for a sec and you will figure out why it flopped and why that has little to do with lockdowns.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaRandomReindeer View Post
    You seem to forget that BfA also had a bigger launch than DF and there were no lockdowns back then.
    I seem to forget something I have no info about?

For me BfA felt like bigger and more hyped launch than SL. Yet numbers clearly show different story. I have no idea if DF was bigger than BfA or not.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Less people want to play it than SL, apparently. How confusing.
    Well, less than wanted to play what they thought SL was going to be.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

the bottom line of all this results simply in:

being a big gaming company depends strongly on customers trust. if you just drive on the cashgrab route, by delivering highly cost effective products with low quality, that are more designed for cashgrab systems than for actual good game design, well, then you loose your customers trust. and earning that trust again is a VERY hard and long road. in the end that may break your neck.

in short:
    grow in popularity, grow in profit, grow in greed, hit the zenith, loose trust, fall down, die.
    the way such things often go.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2023-02-07 at 03:47 PM.

Apparently it means we can spend 57 pages arguing over what it means.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I think dragonflight is in the worse half of WoW expansions, but after BFA and SL obliterating the game its tough to actually get players back for DF to even give it a try.
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but after getting burnt twice in a row, I am very reluctant about giving Blizzard even a single dime.

still probably the best thread on the forums to define motivated reasoning lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    That's true, but outside of vanilla when people were new and actually exploring the game, when did WoW offer anything of value outside of group pve/pvp?
    Their was that whole artifact weapon thing...

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Back when leveling was slow and dangerous (especially on Pvp servers) WoW was actually quite fun to play as some kind of a MMO variant of Neverwinter Nights (or w/e other older RPG).
    It did not have the class depth of a proper RPG but the ability to play with (and against) other people along with a dangerous world was enough to keep me playing without ever bothering with serious raiding.