Poll: Which tank ?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Anything that's not DH or Monk as those 2 seem to somewhat require a brain to play at a decent level and I just can't be arsed to play with DHs falling over at the slightest breeze anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do prefer invite high ilvl and rating instead of proper class :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    and a lot of DPS still dont do 2/3 of that
    hell any more and I'm just happy if the DPS dose more damage then me...

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    It's not hard to copy pasta a route from raider.io. So many tanks have the pacing wrong, don't watch for dps cd's and pull big when no one has available dps buttons and then blame dps for stuff not dying. Many tanks use their cd's at the wrong times or not at all. It's easy to think you're good when you are a tank, until you see what an actual good tank plays like.
    The claim was tanks are often the least experienced players, and yet all the dps players i've seen keep dying to avoidable damage / don't kick / stand in frontals when they shouldn't. You could argue that an inexperienced tank is more visible than one inexperienced DPS player, sure I'll accept that.

I'm not claiming to be a good tank, but i'm not eating Mari's waterjet like the 3 other DPS on a TJS 17, twice, in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    What I'm talking about is more their IO score... whether they've cleared the dungeon in that role. With the tank shortage, it's easier for tanks to get invited into higher keys than dps would get into. Agreed that tanks generally need to know way more. So you're more likely to have dps doing a dungeon at a level they've already timed, grouped with a tank who hasn't, than the opposite.
    Yeah i'll accept that. BUT it's kinda hard to assess why the keys failed based only on their io page. I've timed most of my runs so far, I have yet to time a HoV16, I know the routing, the timing, the general % I need depending on group comp, and yet I can't seem to time one, reasons being :

- Someone dies to first pull, or we don't clear thundering (and I can't exactly move because I have like 4 dudes spamming frontals and a Dragon on me)
    - Multiple people die to Sanctify because they either can't dodge, or get greedy.

- Low dps on Fenryr which drags out the fight and makes it more likely to wipe

- Dying to Odyn's rune phase or not clearing thundering on Odyn.

I've DPSed S1 through 4 of Shadowlands, I know I'm decent at that role, I'm somewhat competent at tanking, I'm still learning the dungeons, but I know more than the basic stuff, I don't feel like the weak link in dungeons atm, or the reason for depleting. You could press W and time up to 15s if DPS is competent just pulling normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Anything that's not DH or Monk as those 2 seem to somewhat require a brain to play at a decent level and I just can't be arsed to play with DHs falling over at the slightest breeze anymore.
    VDH is one of the easiest tank specs to play lmao. Frailty go brrrr, fel dev go vroooom, oh look everything is silenced for 10 seconds. Oh dude I fucked up? Well good thing I have a cheat death that puts me in my strongest CD for 15 seconds. Nah I assure you I barely have to use my brain at all when I'm on my VDH. There is no comparison to brewmaster that has to perfectly time diffuse magic, dampen harm and celestial brews or they get 1 shot.

If you actually have VDHs that die in keys below 18s they are probably dps monkeys using meme discord builds like down in flames. It's certainly not because the spec is hard to play.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-02 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    There's something to be said about tank players who do not know how to properly use their mitigation tools in lower keys. I've had 10s feel like 20s and 20s feel like 10s, all dependent on the skill of the tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything isn't equal which is why people have preferences, lol
    A tanks lack of skill is not capable of making a 10 feel like a 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashcry86 View Post
    Hey guys just curious wanna see if its just me or no , just dont want to spoil

lets see what tank you prefer overall (if all scores are same and ilvl) i know every week is different but its an overall question

thanks
    The first one that applies that is remotely appropriately geared as I am not pushing 20+ right now and for everything below all classes do.

Druid. I play a druid tank myself from time to time, and I know if play right, they are very good. Prot warrior is FOTM now, and it attracts a ton of players who have no idea what they are doing. Heck, I have more prot warriors unable to hold aggro, or they can have no experience on what to do in the "on crap" moment to save themselves.

BDK is also a toss up. If they know how to play the class they can live a long time with no heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    VDH is one of the easiest tank specs to play lmao. Frailty go brrrr, fel dev go vroooom, oh look everything is silenced for 10 seconds. Oh dude I fucked up? Well good thing I have a cheat death that puts me in my strongest CD for 15 seconds. Nah I assure you I barely have to use my brain at all when I'm on my VDH. There is no comparison to brewmaster that has to perfectly time diffuse magic, dampen harm and celestial brews or they get 1 shot.

If you actually have VDHs that die in keys below 18s they are probably dps monkeys using meme discord builds like down in flames. It's certainly not because the spec is hard to play.
    Just about 9 out of 10 of my DH tanks have been absolute garbage, either requiring constant silly ammounts of attention or, even better, they just randomly flop over completely out of nowhere within like a goddamn single fucking global - and not, not because they're stood in a voidzone or some shit, no, simply because they died to some fucking melee hits where any warrior wouldn't even dip below 95%.

I dunno what it is with DHs, but goodness gracious, I just about never have a positive experience with them.

I don't really like the jumpy lifepool of DHs and DKs.

So Prot or Guradian mostly. I don't think i have even seen a monk tank in DF to be honest...

Edit: As a healer, concerning the first point

Whoever's obviously the most experienced.

As a healer, a great brewmaster is leaps and bounds better than a dogshit prot warrior or guardian druid. Our guild has a Brew, Warrior and for M+ tanks... I always choose the brew because he's a brew main, and is just flat out better than the other two. The warrior/dk only tank in keys, but primarily dps otherwise.
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2023-01-04 at 09:46 PM.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Whichever one did not fail to read the part of my group description that says "I don't care about timing".

Be surprised how many don't seem to read that bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

As a healer I don't really care, but I almost prefer anything but warrior doing low keys. The warriors seem to 75% be people chasing FOTM that have no idea what they're doing. Charge in, pull 5 packs, die instantly and then give me a "WTF healer???".

10+ Year Old Account
    From the perspective of a healer main:

Prot warriors are meta right now for a reason. Their survivability is great and they seem to contribute decent damage.

Ultimately, however, I pick based on who looks the most experienced. I think the difference between [meta tank] and [not meta tank] is much smaller than the difference between someone who tanks a key or two a week and someone who does a ton of keys, and ultimately that is the most important variable you can look at when selecting who to invite. And to clarify, by experience I don't necessarily mean high key score, I mean volume of keys done in that appropriate range. (in fact, I usually don't invite the highest score tank if they are a lot higher than the content we're doing, since that can end up being a headache for other reasons).

Experience being equal, I'll go for a tank class that doesn't rely on skill or quick reaction time quite as much, since PuGs are always a gamble and you never know who is newer to that class or on an alt. Some tanking classes have a very big divide between what it is like to heal a good one verses a bad one. Bad tanks are never fun of any class, but if your shitty tank is a DK, for example, you might not even be finishing that key. Similarly, even when DHs were meta, running with them always felt risky because you'd often get that guy that rolled one just because they were FOTM, never pushed his cooldowns appropriately, and died all the time. Some tanks, like warriors and bears, have slightly better odds that they'll live even if the player is just kinda mashing buttons, wherein I feel like DK, DH, and Monks are usually really rough to play with if the person doesn't know what they are doing.

The most minor variables, assuming all of that above is equal, basically comes down to nitpicks but can be tiebreakers: I strongly dislike tanks that use their mobility to rush ahead of the group and pull when everyone is 40+ yards behind them, especially if they aren't smart enough to start kiting back to us, or saving a CD so they can survive the time it takes for me to catch up and then start healing. If it's a class that has the ability to do that, I might still invite them, but with some wary side-eye. I am also not personally a fan of tanks with very spikey health. Yeah, it's fantastic that the DK can beat me on HPS on some fights, and can save himself from the brink of death when shit hits the fan, but it's also very stressful to deal with. Generally, I have no problem healing a friend's DK, but I probably wouldn't seek one out in the group finder unless they had really impressive experience.

tl;dr there is no single answer; it depends on many factors of varying importance.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Just about 9 out of 10 of my DH tanks have been absolute garbage, either requiring constant silly ammounts of attention or, even better, they just randomly flop over completely out of nowhere within like a goddamn single fucking global - and not, not because they're stood in a voidzone or some shit, no, simply because they died to some fucking melee hits where any warrior wouldn't even dip below 95%.

I dunno what it is with DHs, but goodness gracious, I just about never have a positive experience with them.
    Unless they're actually dead you're falling for the healing DK trap just because their health bar spikes. They have plenty of self sustain and the spec is about as brain dead to play as prot war is.

If they're dead and it's not an 18+ with an undergeared tank then they just suck as a tank and would probably suck on a prot war or any other class. Any VDH that manages to die in keys lower than that is not someone you want tanking for you on any class or spec, because even if they would survive that would be the type of player to not use cc, kicks or proper routing. The class literally gets 1 free death every 8 mins unless they're too stupid to talent it trying to do max sim dps lmao.

The tank that's online in my guild for when I do my own key or whichever tank that gets invited into the pugs I get invited to as I don't waste my key in pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Unless they're actually dead you're falling for the healing DK trap just because their health bar spikes. They have plenty of self sustain and the spec is about as brain dead to play as prot war is.

If they're dead and it's not an 18+ with an undergeared tank then they just suck as a tank and would probably suck on a prot war or any other class. Any VDH that manages to die in keys lower than that is not someone you want tanking for you on any class or spec, because even if they would survive that would be the type of player to not use cc, kicks or proper routing. The class literally gets 1 free death every 8 mins unless they're too stupid to talent it trying to do max sim dps lmao.
    While I somewhat agree, you are being a little overdramatic. I can easily die in anything if you pull improperly and people aren't interupting or doing their job. I usually do about 70% of the healing done to me throughout a dungeon though. Meter wise I'm usually prtty close to if not abovd the healer on overall healing in the dungeon. You also have to take spec into consideration. I could go much more tank if I wanted but I would be sacrificing a good amount of damage. I will say though that I have killed bosses from 10% to 0 (tyranical) when the group has all been dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Subrias View Post
    While I somewhat agree, you are being a little overdramatic. I can easily die in anything if you pull improperly and people aren't interupting or doing their job. I usually do about 70% of the healing done to me throughout a dungeon though. Meter wise I'm usually prtty close to if not abovd the healer on overall healing in the dungeon. You also have to take spec into consideration. I could go much more tank if I wanted but I would be sacrificing a good amount of damage. I will say though that I have killed bosses from 10% to 0 (tyranical) when the group has all been dead.
    Never once will you not clear a key in time because the tank didn't do enough damage. The difference in a survival based spec and a dps one for VDH is literally in the range of sub 5k dps. It's basically irrelevant bs that sim slaves will argue about while they're dead. The most important dps talents for VDH in The Hunt, Soul Carver and Frailty stacking are things you always take in any build to begin with, sacrificing last resort for a miniscule dps gain is quite laughable and almost none of the top IO VDHs are doing that from the quick glance I just did.

Anyways my main point was to a post claiming VDH needed a brain to play when it's definitely one of the easiest and most mindless tank specs to play. Blood, Brewmaster and Prot Paladin would be the ones I would say require a brain with bear, VDH and prot war all being pretty damn easy to play.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-06 at 09:39 PM.

Generally speaking, avoid the meta pick like the plague. FOTM classes attract a lot of shitters who think playing the best spec will make them better players, and they will ruin your keys while acting like nothing is ever their fault.

This applies to tanks, and it applies even more to DPS
    Last edited by ONCHEhap; 2023-01-06 at 10:00 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Blood DK if they know how to play.