Poll: Which tank ?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    This makes me sad because Brew is better than half the tanks right now and there are so few of us, it actually shocks me if you came across a "bad" Brewmaster, lol.
    I play all 6 of the tank classes and my assessment is based partially on my own experience. I don't think Brew is in an especially good place atm though the post you quoted was before the recent buffs which have made it slightly more tolerable.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azharok View Post
    Source for that claim ?

Tanks have to know the route, the % count, what to pull to account for butt pulling from DPS. They set the general pace and speed of the dungeon. Healer/tank have to pick-up the slack from dps not kicking stuff or standing in bad. Nothing beats getting called a dog tank when the dps stack 4 bleeds in two jumps from Fenryr, how am I responsible for this exactly ? In low keys sure, tanks can just press W and time stuff. If you're looking to push even a tiny bit, you better have your routes setup.

DPS's job : don't stand in frontals, pop CDs and kick stuff.
    I think it's pretty safe to say the dps in any given pug are going to have the higher ilvl and io score. I think that's what they meant by "experience"
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    As a Brewmaster, I would say me.

Not super hardcore, but starting to tank 9s and 10s this week.

Last week had managed to solo multiple bosses on 5/6 keys after rest of group wiped.

It's fun when you feel unkillable, and with our buffs I'm even more excited. Shall see how things go with the higher keys!
    Every tank is godmode in low keys. Sorry to say that BM is bottom of the barrel right now and you’ll be unlikely to get many invites to high keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by brynhildrprot View Post
    God you're missing the point. It's incredible. Prot Warrior is the best tank IN HIGH KEYS, WITH A COORDINATED GROUP, NOT IN A PUG. Protection paladin is sufficiently tanky and has way more utility making it a better PUG TANK.

Say I'm doing a Temple +20. You're on the double waterspeaker pack, Paladin is the only tank that will be able to interrupt every tidal burst (it's an instant one shot to the entire group), if the dps overlap their stuns and kicks which often happens.

If you're playing a warrior and you're in a coordinated group you just assign who kicks what mob, but if you're pugging and you're on a pack with 2-3 must kick mechanics, then good luck. If you're prot paladin you can do 80% of the kicks and the other 20% gets covered by the rest of the group. If you're a warrior you can cover 30% of the kicks and the group needs to cover the other 70%.

Do you understand, it doesn't matter in a +15 if you're taking 20% less dmg and require 20% less healing when one shot mechanics are going through.

Say you're doing CoS, you're the only not just tank spec, but literally ANY CLASS SPEC in the game that can solo interrupt both Construct casts, one of which quickly kills 1 dps (suppress), the other heals up all nearby allies (Charging station), which can lead to wasted time or worse off a wipe.

I think 95% of people in this thread don't actually know what they're talking about and haven't tanked a key above a +10, no offense, haven't played several tanks and don't understand what different tanks excel at.

If you're tanking with prot paladin, the entire group can be missing half their brain cells and missing every kick, and you'll still time the key because you'll just cover the important kicks and stuns, with any other tank thats just an automatic deplete.

- - - Updated - - -

Response to 1. Have you done Dragonflight dungeons?

Response to 2. Yes you can. Because you have infinitely more stops and interrupts.

Okay, let me give you an example, I was doing an SBG +22 Earlier, monk walks into the wall and gets the dot on him, his health drops to 20% several times, but I save his life with a well placed blessing of sac and a lay on hands and he actually lives through the dot. Then the healer (druid) proceeds to walk into the wall gets the dot and dies, and I CR him.

We manage to ++ the 22 by the skin of our teeth, if prot warr is tanking that key. Monk dies, no CR in that group, 4 man for the rest of the encounter, then healer dies and you have to replay the boss without heroism. Or maybe you take an additional CR class to cover the druid dying, well Monk dies, druid CRs him, then druid gets hit by the mechanic and dies, gets CR'd fine if you have a second CR maybe you're still fine.

There's just so many examples of when I'm pugging something on one of my alts and something goes wrong and I'm like "well I wish I was on my prot paladin right now".

You're doing Hjyra on tyrannical you can literally sac your squishiest dps every storm, you're doing the 3rd dps in Azure Vaults you can sac your squishiest dps every absolute zero.

You're just wrong beyond belief.

You can't tell me a tank without CR, without cleanse, without offhealing without externals, without infinite kicks is a better tank in an uncoordinated pug without voice and kick assignments, you can't say that with a straight face if you've ever done M+
    lol, don't care, warriors are the meta for a reason

You can harp about all of the magical things paladins can do and y'know what? if they were that good they'd be the meta.
    But they are not
    theoretical abilities <<< practical abilities.

I'm glad you're a mainspec cleric tank, but warriors are still better at every key level.

- - - Updated - - -

That's such a bad example tho since Prot Warriors struggle against magic dmg. There are better tanks for the stormy guy. Prot warriors can't block magic, so BDK and Prot paladin would be easier on that boss among a few others.

All that happened here was you had a bad tank then you had a good tank, that's it. That's not a case of class, because you literally gave an example of a scenario where prot warrior doesn't actually excel that much, don't get me wrong it's not terrible on that boss, but BDK and pala are better.
    uh they can block spells, its a talent
    2ndly, ignore pain absorb works on magic damage
    they also have spell reflect which reduces the damage you take from spells as a bonus effect

you sure you play all the tanks, my guy?

- - - Updated - - -

also, in addendum, you're jacking yourself off about the # of kicks in a run

Prot paladins yolo avengers shielding mobs generally just snipes interrupts from melee because MOST melee dps wait for the last second of the cast to kick

y'know, so the mob casts longer and doesn't melee.

Mages very frequently just let casts go off so they can spellsteal. But yes, kicking the filler shadowbolts is very important and im proud of u.

the most hilarious part about all of your posts is that you have a constant belief that pug paladin tanks are gods and are able to press their 15 utility buttons while under duress.

Lol, no.

I'll still invite Orkus with the /y lok tar ogar when he charges over a prot paladin every day and twice on sundays.
    Last edited by Kehego; 2023-01-11 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    lol, don't care, warriors are the meta for a reason

You can harp about all of the magical things paladins can do and y'know what? if they were that good they'd be the meta.
    But they are not
    theoretical abilities <<< practical abilities.

I'm glad you're a mainspec cleric tank, but warriors are still better at every key level.

- - - Updated - - -

uh they can block spells, its a talent
    2ndly, ignore pain absorb works on magic damage
    they also have spell reflect which reduces the damage you take from spells as a bonus effect

you sure you play all the tanks, my guy?

- - - Updated - - -

also, in addendum, you're jacking yourself off about the # of kicks in a run

Prot paladins yolo avengers shielding mobs generally just snipes interrupts from melee because MOST melee dps wait for the last second of the cast to kick

y'know, so the mob casts longer and doesn't melee.

Mages very frequently just let casts go off so they can spellsteal. But yes, kicking the filler shadowbolts is very important and im proud of u.

the most hilarious part about all of your posts is that you have a constant belief that pug paladin tanks are gods and are able to press their 15 utility buttons while under duress.

Lol, no.

I'll still invite Orkus with the /y lok tar ogar when he charges over a prot paladin every day and twice on sundays.
    You know theres a spell lock component to it, right.

And yes warrior does have spell reflect, but it does also struggle against Magic Damage.

"war strongest overall tank" is true, "war lolololol overpowered on every boss" is not true at all. In fact if someone where to play a blood dk, a prot war and a prot pal they would find themselves all shitting their selves over different bosses entirely. 3rd boss in temple is hilariously bad for war while blood dk and pro pal laugh at it for example.

Just because something is the current strongest option doesn't mean it's great at doing everything and war definitely sucks balls at a few bosses, hell just ask them about Crawth after the devs decided to turn him into a tank killer in the hot fix last week. Wars shitting themselves over pecks and Blood DK like lol bro death strike get gud. Meanwhile blood dk is shitting themselves on the last trash pull of temple but wars are like spell reflect spell block all dark claws lololololol.

Also imagine inviting a prot war over a blood dk to noku when the dk can mc the haste buff mob and continuously give the group a mini lust.

If you're really trying to min max what class you invite you're doing it wrong if you think "prot war is OP at everything!". Prot war is the strongest overall but it's way more complicated on a per dungeon and per group basis if you actually want to min max that hard.

This thread perfectly explains why so many casual players meta rerolling fill the lfg with crappy meta specs. They don't even understand the strengths and weaknesses of the spec they're playing and think just because its meta in competitive comps it's good at everything- wrong.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-11 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "war strongest overall tank" is true, "war lolololol overpowered on every boss" is not true at all. In fact if someone where to play a blood dk, a prot war and a prot pal they would find themselves all shitting their selves over different bosses entirely. 3rd boss in temple is hilariously bad for war while blood dk and pro pal laugh at it for example.

Just because something is the current strongest option doesn't mean it's great at doing everything and war definitely sucks balls at a few bosses, hell just ask them about Crawth after the devs decided to turn him into a tank killer in the hot fix last week. Wars shitting themselves over pecks and Blood DK like lol bro death strike get gud. Meanwhile blood dk is shitting themselves on the last trash pull of temple but wars are like spell reflect spell block all dark claws lololololol.

Also imagine inviting a prot war over a blood dk to noku when the dk can mc the haste buff mob and continuously give the group a mini lust.

If you're really trying to min max what class you invite you're doing it wrong if you think "prot war is OP at everything!". Prot war is the strongest overall but it's way more complicated on a per dungeon and per group basis if you actually want to min max that hard.

This thread perfectly explains why so many casual players meta rerolling fill the lfg with crappy meta specs. They don't even understand the strengths and weaknesses of the spec they're playing and think just because its meta in competitive comps it's good at everything- wrong.
    Exactly this, I depleted a +22 earlier because the healer was so scared of 3rd boss he hearthstoned out to get resummoned by warlock, because prot warriors keep dying on the 3rd boss without specific external talents, and ST healing talents.

I told him, we might have just depleted the key by him doing that... We ended up 25 seconds overtime.

I literally depleted a key, because Prot warriors are so shit on 3rd boss in Temple, that healers are teleporting out to change talents to get summoned back. I find that sort of hilarious. Prot paladin and BDK is so chill on that boss, prot warr needs all the help it can get.

I've been saying this to literally every group. If you're playing TJS Tyrannical and you want an easy time and you REALLY want to meta slave, take Prot paladin or BDK there, because it's BIS in TJS, but most people don't understand tanks to a sufficient enough degree to understand that Prot Warrior isn't automatically the best at mitigating all forms of damage.

The healer didn't inform anyone beforehand he wanted to change talents before 3rd, so technically speaking, I can say Prot Warriors depleted my +22 by being shit at Liu Flameheart.

Other notable bosses where Prot Paladin is 20x better than Prot Warr would be 2nd boss in Ruby and living Hjyra (I'd give even more bonus points here for prot paladin because it makes grp healing easier with sac). There are ofc bosses where the reverse is true and Prot warrior shines, but this mentality of one tank is best in all scenarios is really just people who don't actually push keys after they get KSM.
    Last edited by brynhildrprot; 2023-01-11 at 09:05 PM.

Okay but chungus mc dungeon finder aint gonna do that
    All of these super min-maxy things in a pug no voice key? good luck with that happening.

And no, noone said prot war is op at everything. I pretty specifically said that paladins are the kings of utility, but throughput > utility at most points and that's something that holds true

also prot warriors are vastly superior to all other tanks in the majority of M+ because of how block/crit block works.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly this, I depleted a +22 earlier because the healer was so scared of 3rd boss he hearthstoned out to get resummoned by warlock, because prot warriors keep dying on the 3rd boss without specific external talents, and ST healing talents.

I told him, we might have just depleted the key by him doing that... We ended up 25 seconds overtime.

I literally depleted a key, because Prot warriors are so shit on 3rd boss in Temple, that healers are teleporting out to change talents to get summoned back. I find that sort of hilarious. Prot paladin and BDK is so chill on that boss, prot warr needs all the help it can get.

I've been saying this to literally every group. If you're playing TJS Tyrannical and you want an easy time and you REALLY want to meta slave, take Prot paladin or BDK there, because it's BIS in TJS, but most people don't understand tanks to a sufficient enough degree to understand that Prot Warrior isn't automatically the best at mitigating all forms of damage.

The healer didn't inform anyone beforehand he wanted to change talents before 3rd, so technically speaking, I can say Prot Warriors depleted my +22 by being shit at Liu Flameheart.

Other notable bosses where Prot Paladin is 20x better than Prot Warr would be 2nd boss in Ruby and living Hjyra (I'd give even more bonus points here for prot paladin because it makes grp healing easier with sac). There are ofc bosses where the reverse is true and Prot warrior shines, but this mentality of one tank is best in all scenarios is really just people who don't actually push keys after they get KSM.
    other tanks have their niches
    but that's not the discussion at hand. you have 1 tank spot as a group leader, prot warrior is the best pick in 9/10 circumstances. That's just the meat of it.

That's why they are the meta

like you can cherrypick and shift the goalpost as much as you want, but for a random dungeon with no voice no comms at a random level, prot warrior is the most consistent, tankiest, likely highest dps pick for that dungeon.

also, prot warriors are the best tank at mitigating physical damage (melee hits, which are most of the damage you take in any M+), and its worth repeating to the degree how much block/crit block/ignore pain work with each other and make them physical mitigation gods, with/without cooldowns.
    Last edited by Kehego; 2023-01-12 at 02:26 AM.

Brewmaster is the most fun to play imo, too bad they don't want people to play monk lol.

- - - Updated - - -

All of these super min-maxy things in a pug no voice key? good luck with that happening.

And no, noone said prot war is op at everything. I pretty specifically said that paladins are the kings of utility, but throughput > utility at most points and that's something that holds true

also prot warriors are vastly superior to all other tanks in the majority of M+ because of how block/crit block works.

- - - Updated - - -

but that's not the discussion at hand. you have 1 tank spot as a group leader, prot warrior is the best pick in 9/10 circumstances. That's just the meat of it.

like you can cherrypick and shift the goalpost as much as you want, but for a random dungeon with no voice no comms at a random level, prot warrior is the most consistent, tankiest, likely highest dps pick for that dungeon.

also, prot warriors are the best tank at mitigating physical damage (melee hits, which are most of the damage you take in any M+), and its worth repeating to the degree how much block/crit block/ignore pain work with each other and make them physical mitigation gods, with/without cooldowns.
    Warriors are almost always on top for tanking in most every expansion, devs need to not be afraid of other tanks doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    My personal tier:

S -- BDK, Prot War
    A -- Guardian, DH, Prot Pally
    Lower than dogshit -- Brewmaster
    brewmaster is insane in the right hands

snip
    Dude you literally have no idea what you're talking about, don't even understand the meta or why something is meta and are saying "invite prot war cause the best players are mostly playing it".

It's almost like you completely skipped reading my post but it's clear you didn't so you just didn't understand it. Randoms trying to invite meta without understanding the meta is not some road to success. This sounds like some pug player that gets hard stuck at 18s long before meta even starts to matter and min maxing being highly irrelevant before over 20s.

Unless you're some top player chasing 1% title you should be way more worried about individual player skill than what their spec is, because that's how you will finish those PUG keys champ and if you where that good you wouldn't be worried about what tank to invite in a LFG.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-12 at 05:17 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Prot warr isnt the highest dps. Its mid tier it does the same damage as prot paladin.

The highest damage is Brewmaster...

Are you sure you know much about tanks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Brewmaster is the most fun to play imo, too bad they don't want people to play monk lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Warriors are almost always on top for tanking in most every expansion, devs need to not be afraid of other tanks doing well.
    No they aren't. They were consistently the least played tank for the entirety of Shadowlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude you literally have no idea what you're talking about, don't even understand the meta or why something is meta and are saying "invite prot war cause the best players are mostly playing it".

It's almost like you completely skipped reading my post but it's clear you didn't so you just didn't understand it. Randoms trying to invite meta without understanding the meta is not some road to success. This sounds like some pug player that gets hard stuck at 18s long before meta even starts to matter and min maxing being highly irrelevant before over 20s.

Unless you're some top player chasing 1% title you should be way more worried about individual player skill than what their spec is, because that's how you will finish those PUG keys champ and if you where that good you wouldn't be worried about what tank to invite in a LFG.
    This. And there's simply more skill expression in Prot paladin over prot warrior. Prot Warrior is the least punishing tank.

You can argue that if you know the tank is bad and you need to choose one in a pug. Then you can pick a warrior, but if the tank is moderately skilled and you are uncoordinated then yea Paladin is your best bet.

Guardian and Prot Warr right now are the easiest tanks to play. Brewmaster and DH are very punishing. Prot Paladin is mid tier to stay alive, but ti use its full utility its up there. DK is harder than s4 but a bit easier than historically, due to them having more resourcess at the start of expansion than usual.

Low Skill floor - Low Skill ceilling - Guardian Prot Warr
    High skill floor - Medium Skill ceilling - DK, Brewmaster, DH
    Medium Skill floor - High Skill ceilling - Prot Paladin

My Opinion

One that links a route. So tired of reading all the posts about DPS not interrupting or using CC or healers not doing dmg, but a tank that doesnt link route and randomly pulls 2 mobs or 10 mobs causes a lot more depletes.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    One that links a route. So tired of reading all the posts about DPS not interrupting or using CC or healers not doing dmg, but a tank that doesnt link route and randomly pulls 2 mobs or 10 mobs causes a lot more depletes.
    There are routes in Dragonflight?

The number of linear dungeons s1 dragonflight is insane. There is very little customization to be had.

The best tanks for high keys are quite obviously warrior and dk, i don't really feel like there is a big gap beetween the other tanks.

The community has a terrible perception of Brewmaster because for the first time in a long while they're on the squishy side with only around 70% stagger around 400ish ilvl and a lot of brews aren't used to that, but brew also has more tools than ever and is a more than adequate tank as long as you're not pushing the top keys.

The spec is really punishing and can look terrible if played by the wrong person, but it's a more than fine dungeon tank if played properly and it's sad how hard it is to get into groups playing brew because of this flawed perception, especially for keys in the 15-18 range that clearly don't require anything specific.

Brewmaster isn't "secretly op" and the "highest damage tank" is a bit of a meme because it does insane aoe damage but lacking single target, with resonant fists and exploding keg inflating numbers on short lived targets , warrior has way more effective damage.

All in all not a bad tank spec, it just goes to show how the average redittor/forumer perception is plaguing the game.
    Last edited by Mokuna; 2023-01-12 at 07:21 PM.

Prot warr isnt the highest dps. Its mid tier it does the same damage as prot paladin.

The highest damage is Brewmaster...

Are you sure you know much about tanks?

- - - Updated - - -

No they aren't. They were consistently the least played tank for the entirety of shadowlands
    Doesn't mean they aren't fun

There are routes in Dragonflight?

The number of linear dungeons s1 dragonflight is insane. There is very little customization to be had.
    Have you only ran shadowmoon and temple this xpac? Or do you mistake route for boss order? Cause yea, outside of shadowmoon/temple there are plenty of different ways to tackle % in each dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Doesn't mean they aren't fun
    I didnt say they werent fun.

From what Ive heard from other tanks who play warr more than me is that Prot Warr was terrible to play in Shadowlands but its a return to form in draginflight very fun.

That doesnt make it the most skillful tank with the most utility. It just happens that its tunned insanely at the moment

Have you only ran shadowmoon and temple this xpac? Or do you mistake route for boss order? Cause yea, outside of shadowmoon/temple there are plenty of different ways to tackle % in each dungeon.
    This isn't Shadowlands. There were actual routes and fields of mobs and you could pick & choose what you took and carefully avoid what you didn't take. That is pretty much non-existent in DF.

Ruby Life Pools -- Unless your skipping dragons, the route is pretty straight forward.

Alge'thar Academy -- Boss-to-boss is pretty much exactly 100%. There really isn't much of a need for special routes and skips

Halls of Valor -- Again, pretty much boss-to-boss. You walk around like 2 packs in the whole dungeon because if you take them while taking everything else, you're going to be over 100%

SBG/TJS are the most straight forward dungeons, as you mentioned.

The only ones I could see someone making routes for are Nokhund and CoS. But again, the big purpose of routes in Shadowlands were to avoid packs because the dungeons were more compacted and you didn't need all the trash.

My experience in Nokhund, for example, is just to do Boss-to-Boss killing only the needed trash until third boss and then before third boss, just clear most of the field.

CoS isn't hard at all with the most important thing being the skip because when you do the tank death skip, it's way easier to come in under percentage and need to find an extra pack or two before second boss.

Routes and their need in season 1 are a joke compared to Shadowlands.

This is going to be VASTLY different when the M+ dungeons are Brackenhide, Halls of Infusion, Neltharius, and Uldaman which I'm sure are going to have way more leeway and allow more trash skips.

One of the biggest things in Shadowlands was having accidental pulls and ending the dungeon with like 105-110% and just missing timer on the keys because of bad pulls. This hasn't happened to me once in Dragonflight in 100+ keys.
    Last edited by fwc577; 2023-01-12 at 08:40 PM.

This isn't Shadowlands. There were actual routes and fields of mobs and you could pick & choose what you took and carefully avoid what you didn't take. That is pretty much non-existent in DF.
    "This isn't shadowlands" don't make me laugh, Shadowlands was way less interesting on mob %. My man thinks because SoA had 2 routes to take there was actually an option when there was 1 option cause the other was aids.

Ruby Life Pools -- Unless your skipping dragons, the route is pretty straight forward.
    There is plenty to choose with what you kill in RLP. The only mandatory trash pulls are the mini boss outside first boss room, the elemental groups, and the 2 packs closest to final boss. You pick and choose what else you want for the %. You do realize you can run around a lot of the trash in first hall as well as the ring right even without shrouds or invis?

Alge'thar Academy -- Boss-to-boss is pretty much exactly 100%. There really isn't much of a need for special routes and skips
    Another hilariously bad example. You can skip tons of trash and get the majority in the final area if you want to for example or any medium in between. Not to mention you literally pick your boss order in this place.

Halls of Valor -- Again, pretty much boss-to-boss. You walk around like 2 packs in the whole dungeon because if you take them while taking everything else, you're going to be over 100%
    Getting tiresome at this point. HoV has like 200% total trash if you honestly think there are no ways to optimize routes in here I have no idea what to tell you at this point.

SBG/TJS are the most straight forward dungeons, as you mentioned.
    Yes, both will only vary by 1 or 2 pulls from group to group very little room for creativity.

The only ones I could see someone making routes for are Nokhund and CoS. But again, the big purpose of routes in Shadowlands were to avoid packs because the dungeons were more compacted and you didn't need all the trash.

My experience in Nokhund, for example, is just to do Boss-to-Boss killing only the needed trash until third boss and then before third boss, just clear most of the field.

CoS isn't hard at all with the most important thing being the skip because when you do the tank death skip, it's way easier to come in under percentage and need to find an extra pack or two before second boss.
    Noku is actually one of the least interesting ones since it has 12 mandatory trash pulls most of which have too many interrupts or stops required to chain with other pulls and the trash in the final area is complete aids so everyone is going there with 94% already, or 100% if they are FD skipping the mini bosses. The only route variance is do you want to pull extra trash in 2nd or 3rd areas and it's usually gonna be 3rd.

One of the biggest things in Shadowlands was having accidental pulls and ending the dungeon with like 105-110% and just missing timer on the keys because of bad pulls. This hasn't happened to me once in Dragonflight in 100+ keys.
    Shadowlands routing was ass and a massive downgrade from BFA. I have no idea why you think it was anything special cause you had people butt pulling things.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-12 at 08:57 PM.