Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Here’s Every Single Lie Told by George Santos

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023...toss-lies.html

Since the New York Times revealed that George Santos was not quite the man he sold himself as to voters, it’s been hard to track down exactly what is true about the incoming representative’s life story. Is he broke or rich? Is he Jewish or Catholic? Did his family members really die in the Holocaust or September 11? Most often, it’s best to assume what the Republican from Long Island has said about his life is bogus, but in case you need to double-check, here is the guide to everything he has made up about himself — and the few things that actually appear to be true.

He lied about where he went to high school …

Santos, whose parents emigrated from Brazil, says he attended the Horace Mann School in the Bronx during his first years of high school but had to leave the prestigious private academy in his senior year because “my parents fell on hard times, which was something that would later become known as the depression of 2008.” But a spokesperson for the school told CNN in December that there was no evidence he attended Horace Mann. Later, he obtained a high-school equivalency diploma.

… and college.

Santos claims he graduated with a degree in economics and finance from Baruch College in 2010, which suggests he would have made it through a four-year program in just two years if he actually graduated from Horace Mann in 2008. But a Baruch representative told the Times there was no record of Santos being in the class of 2010. (Nor is there a record of Santos being a “star” on the Baruch volleyball team, as he claimed to Nassau County GOP chair Joseph Cairo.) A biography of Santos on the National Republican Congressional Committee states Santos also spent time at New York University, a claim NYU could not corroborate. Later, he told the New York Post that he “didn’t graduate from any institution of higher learning.”

He never worked on Wall Street either.

His campaign bio states he worked at Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, but representatives for both companies told the Times they had no record of his employment. The lies weren’t that hard to figure out: Santos said he worked in Citi’s real-estate wing in the 2010s, though the bank sold off its asset-management operations when he was in high school.

So where did his money come from?

When Santos first ran for Congress in 2020, he filed a disclosure showing a salary of $55,000 working as a vice-president at a business-development company called LinkBridge Investors, where he says he introduced investors to hedge-fund managers. Soon after that failed run, he started working at a Florida investment firm called Harbor City Capital — which was accused in April 2021 by the Securities and Exchange Commission of being a Ponzi scheme and stealing $17 million from investors. The company’s assets are currently in mediation with an independent receiver appointed to manage them.

Santos wasn’t accused of wrongdoing by authorities, and the next month he incorporated his own company called Devolder. In an interview with Semafor, he said he helped rich people buy the expensive toys they wanted. If a client wanted to sell a plane or a boat, Santos would “go look out there within my Rolodex and be like: ‘Hey, are you looking for a plane?’ ‘Are you looking for a boat?’ I just put that feeler out there.” Within six months, he claims to have “landed a couple of million-dollar contracts.” Financial disclosures from his 2022 congressional campaign show he claimed to have made between $3.5 million and $11 million from the company before it was dissolved last year.

Is the money legit?

Not everyone is buying the story that Santos earned his money how he says he did. As the Times notes, Devolder had no public website or LinkedIn page, and on his campaign financial disclosure, he did not list any clients. In a campaign bio, Santos once described Devolder as his “family’s firm” and said it was managing $80 million in assets.

“Where did that money come from?” asked Representative Dan Goldman of Brooklyn, referring to the $700,000 Santos lent his own campaign.

Any skepticism about Santos’s finances has been amplified by his alleged fraud. In 2008, when Santos was 19 and living in Brazil, court records show he was charged with stealing the checkbook of a man his mother was caring for and wrote $700 in fraudulent checks, including for a pair of shoes.

He also appears to have made up a history as a landlord, claiming in a campaign bio that he and his family ran a real-estate portfolio of 13 properties. The Times found no evidence of the buildings, and they were not listed on required campaign financial disclosures. Santos, who decried New York’s eviction moratorium during the pandemic, has been evicted twice.

He also lied about founding an animal charity.

Santos’s campaign bio claimed he ran a foundation called Friends of Pets United, saving 2,500 dogs and cats between 2013 and 2018. But there were no social-media accounts for the organization, no IRS records, and no evidence of the charity being registered in New York or New Jersey, where Santos claimed to have operated. The Times found that Friends of Pets United held one fundraiser with a rescue group in New Jersey in 2017, for which he charged $50 entry. But the group that threw the event said that it never received any funds and that Santos made up several excuses for why he didn’t have the money.

What’s the deal with his marriage(s)?

When Santos flipped New York’s Third Congressional District in November, he became the first openly gay nonincumbent Republican elected to Congress. His campaign bio discussed his husband, with whom he lives in Long Island along with four dogs. But Santos never appeared on the campaign trail with his partner, and the Daily Beast could not find a marriage record in New York. (When he arrived at the House in January, he was not wearing a wedding ring.)

In 2019, however, Santos did divorce a woman in Queens. “I’m very much gay,” he told the New York Post in December. “I’m OK with my sexuality. People change. I’m one of those people who change.”

It’s unclear if his mother’s death was related to 9/11.

In July 2021, Santos wrote on Twitter that the September 11 attacks “claimed my mother’s life.” On December 23, 2021, he said it was the fifth anniversary of his mother’s passing, a loss confirmed by her obituary. On his campaign website, Santos claimed his mother “was in her office in the South Tower on September 11” and that she “passed away a few years later when she lost her battle to cancer.” Aside from the fact that people rarely refer to 15 years as a “few years,” there is no record of Santos’s mother suffering from the well-documented health problems caused by toxic debris following the attacks. There is no evidence she was at the World Trade Center on 9/11, and though Santos has claimed she was a finance executive, public employment records obtained by NBC News list her only known employer as an imports business in Queens that folded in 1994. The Times reported that she once worked as a nurse in Brazil.

His grandmother was definitely not a Holocaust victim.

In an interview with a conservative podcast in May 2022, Santos said his “grandparents survived the Holocaust,” and his campaign bio claimed that they “fled persecution during WWII.”

“For a lot of people who are descendants of World War II refugees or survivors of the Holocaust, a lot of names and paperwork were changed in name of survival,” Santos told Fox News last year, claiming he had Ukrainian heritage on his mother’s side.

Apparently according to genealogy records reviewed by CNN and the Forward, this did not apply to his family. “There’s no sign of Jewish and/or Ukrainian heritage and no indication of name changes along the way,” genealogist Megan Smolenyak told CNN. Multiple family records show that Santos’s maternal grandparents were born in Brazil. The name is common among Catholic families in Brazil.

And he did not have employees who died in the Pulse shooting.

In an interview with WNYC following his election, Santos said he “lost four employees” in the Pulse nightclub shooting in 2016. But the Times found that he lied about yet another historic tragedy: None of the 49 victims at the Orlando club worked at any of the companies he has named in his biographies.

“Jew-ish” or Jewish?

Putting aside Santos’s Holocaust fabrications, the representative has also said a few times over the years that he’s a “conservative Roman Catholic.” On Facebook, his mother posted Catholic prayers and discussed the Virgin Mary. And a priest in Long Island City said that he knows the Santos family well and that they occasionally attended Catholic mass.

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Santos said in an interview with the Post in which he also copped to his lies about his education. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”

His staff is also reported causing trouble.

After Santos was sworn in, CNBC reported that a campaign staff member named Sam Miele impersonated the chief of staff of House Speaker Kevin McCarthy during the 2020 and 2022 cycles to raise money.

So what has Santos said about his life that is actually true?

As he has claimed, Santos is a 34-year-old Republican born in Queens who will represent New York’s wealthiest congressional district. Other than that, pretty much everything is under scrutiny.

What sort of investigations is he facing?

The representative’s many fabrications are now being investigated by the Nassau County district attorney, the New York State Attorney General’s office, and federal prosecutors in the Eastern District of New York. The focuses of the first two inquiries are not publicly known, but NBC News reports that Eastern District prosecutors are looking into Santos’s finances, including his unusual financial disclosures and the loans he made himself while running for the House.

Days after he was sworn in, the non-profit Campaign Legal Center also filed an official complaint with the Federal Election Commission, accusing Santos of of illegally using campaign funds for personal expenses like rent. Representatives Daniel Goldman and Ritchie Torres also filed an official complaint with the House Ethics Committee. The two New York Democrats requested an inquiry to determine if the incomplete picture of Santos’s finances on his financial disclosures violates a post-Watergate law on corruption.

Brazilian law officials are also reopening a case against Santos regarding his alleged fraudulent checks from 2008 and intend to seek a formal response. If he does not hire a local defense attorney, he could be tried in absentia; if found guilty, he could face up to five years in prison.

Some Republicans don’t want him around.

The week after he joined the House, Nassau County Republican leaders called on Santos to resign. “He has no place in the Nassau County Republican Committee, nor should he serve in public service or as an elected official,” county GOP chair Joe Cairo said in a press conference.

In the House, New York Rep. Anthony D’Esposito urged him on January 11 to step down: “George Santos does not have the ability to serve in the House of Representatives and should resign.” Santos has resisted these calls, and Kevin McCarthy — who clearly needs every GOP representative he can get — has not yet weighed in aside from stating he will not be on any major committees.
    At this point, I'm not even certain his name is actually George Santos.

Boy, it sure seems like we don't actually know anything about this freshman Republican House Rep. outside of the fact that he's lied about almost every aspect of his life. A perfect Republican.

I can't wait to find out which new lies media uncover as they continue to do even the most minor of fact-checking and verifying of his extensive lies and dishonesty.

Umm I see some edits in the future. Probably more to see here.

Anyways I will point here as in Midterms 2020 is that NY Governor can hold a special election IF Santos resigns. All I have to say about that.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Santos vows to not resign, which might actually mean he's planning to resign.

I'm not convinced George Santos is a real person. It's like he's 3 kids Ben Shapiros in a trench coat pretending to be an adult.

0:40 George Santos Says 'I Will NOT Resign' Despite Nassau County GOP's Demands
    Government Affiliated Snark

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...-him-to-serve/

“I try to stick by the Constitution. The voters elected him to serve. If there is a concern, and he has to go through the Ethics, let him move through that,” McCarthy told reporters on Wednesday.
    This is technically correct.

But what's more correct is that the voters elected a fictional version of George Santos that doesn't actually exist, to serve. And since that George Santos doesn't exist, that the district should be allowed to choose someone who does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...-him-to-serve/

This is technically correct.

But what's more correct is that the voters elected a fictional version of George Santos that doesn't actually exist, to serve. And since that George Santos doesn't exist, that the district should be allowed to choose someone who does exist.
    What House Ethics Committee is McCarthy referring to? Because from what I can tell the House Ethics Committee was summarily blindfolded, had concrete shoes installed and dumped in the nearest lake by Republicans as soon as they took power.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    What House Ethics Committee is McCarthy referring to? Because from what I can tell the House Ethics Committee was summarily blindfolded, had concrete shoes installed and dumped in the nearest lake by Republicans as soon as they took power.
    Yes, that same one. The most effective ethics committee is the ethics committee that can't do anything, according to Republicans.

7+ Year Old Account
    I bet Robert Zimmerman wishes he had done his homework on this guy.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2023-01-22 at 01:46 AM.

sip
    You mean, every known lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    You mean, every known lie?
    So far...

Because today we learned that he told local GOP officials that he was actually a star volleyball player that took his team to the championships. You know, at one of the colleges he didn't attend.

So far...

Because today we learned that he told local GOP officials that he was actually a star volleyball player that took his team to the championships. You know, at one of the colleges he didn't attend.
    You know, I have a strange respect for this guy. He is so brazenly full of shit and so remorseless about it, that one has to respect that.

I'm one of those people whose anxiety literally keeps them up at night thinking about imaginary personal shortcomings, meanwhile this bro just walks into the United States Congress and takes an OATH of office on national TV and grins through the whole thing.

I kinda envy the shamelessness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump hasn’t been ever held accountable why should he or anyone at this point.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    We must protect George Santos at all costs! Ironically, the most honest person on the Right!

For real though, he is an indictment on a lot of frivolous bullshit people throw in your face when it comes to politics and the fact that he duped people then did a tell all, is great. The man is a national treasure. The gift that keeps on giving.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

So far...

Jesus.. its crazy that someone would run for public office and lie about everything. Who would do that? Oh wait. Seriously though. Did he think no one would realize? Well, I guess he got his seat already. He already won. But house seats are only 2 year terms. He tanked his credibility for the rest of his life for a 2 year term. Pretty short sighted.

So his name is not real?

During George Santos’ 2020 campaign, a person introducing him at the Queens Village Republican Club expressed confusion as to why he changed his name from Anthony Devolder to George Santos.

Vid embedded. Please watch

For those who don't want to watch it's some guy who speaks then says he knows George Santos by Anthony DeVolder. Santos then comes up and acknowledges this by saying 1:25 mark he is victim of Latino parents saying "George Anthony DeVolder Santos". Umm, okay but I never heard of this before. Maybe nothing, people don't always have to use their full name or even if that is how he is addressed say among family and friends.

But...

This is a conman and grifter we are talking about so WTF?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So his name is not real?

During George Santos’ 2020 campaign, a person introducing him at the Queens Village Republican Club expressed confusion as to why he changed his name from Anthony Devolder to George Santos.

Vid embedded. Please watch

For those who don't want to watch it's some guy who speaks then says he knows George Santos by Anthony DeVolder. Santos then comes up and acknowledges this by saying 1:25 mark he is victim of Latino parents saying "George Anthony DeVolder Santos". Umm, okay but I never heard of this before. Maybe nothing, people don't always have to use their full name or even if that is how he is addressed say among family and friends.

But...

This is a conman and grifter we are talking about so WTF?
    Fuck man, I forgot that new Twitter is all just blue checkmark right wing Elom simps making up reality for the first like 100 replies. Sad.

Apparently Santos is a Democrat according to comments, who knew!?

There are a lot of very interesting tidbits in this new George Santos piece, particularly about Redstone Strategies, which comes off sounding like a cross between a scam PAC and a dark money group, taking donor money for personal benefit and no accounting
    https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/s...knjNWiSpg&s=19

Can't read the article ATM, but idk if this has to do with $700k, McCarthy angle or something new. I'm hoping this is an all new one.

He said today that he would resign if 142 people ask him to, though he didn't specify which people he was referring to. Does anyone know where he got 142 from? Seems like a strange number to come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    He said today that he would resign if 142 people ask him to, though he didn't specify which people he was referring to. Does anyone know where he got 142 from? Seems like a strange number to come up with.
    He corrected himself, apparently on Bannon's podcast or something, that he meant 142,000. Which is apparently how many votes he got.

Because he and McCarthy think (they don't, they're pretending like there will be) there will be like, a vote on it or something? Despite the state Republican party calling for him to resign national Republicans seem to really like him as long as you don't ask them about him. Weird that the party of "STATES RIGHTS" is ignoring their own state party's wishes.

Actually that's not weird at all. No weirder than it is that almost every House Republican is defending someone who, despite having just arrived in Washington, be the most dishonest person on Capitol Hill.

He corrected himself, apparently on Bannon's podcast or something, that he meant 142,000. Which is apparently how many votes he got.
    They could probably get 142,000 signatures from people in his district on a petition asking him to resign, but there's no reason at all to think that lying sack of shit would keep his word. He's counting on everyone eventually getting tired of talking about it and moving on, and sadly he's right.
    Last edited by Ursus; 2023-01-13 at 04:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I grow up I want to be like my hero George Santos.

Resident Cosplay Progressive