Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Also, ofc what OP said about reps. It's a huge grind.
    But why do you need reps on alts? What does it give???? Gear pieces that were relevant for whole 2 weeks before season 1 and transmogs/toys/mounts that are account-wide anyway??

??????

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    But why do you need reps on alts? What does it give???? Gear pieces that were relevant for whole 2 weeks before season 1 and transmogs/toys/mounts that are account-wide anyway??

??????
    rep bound, non-account wide patterns for professions.
    you need rep with cobalt convent for tailor threads and usually 1 or 2 of the 4 main ones for other patterns.

so if someone wants an alt ONLY for tailoring, they still need to grind rep up again.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    My experience is I have to do ALL quests again, just for reputation. Same quests for the 4th time I guess... Even after that, I am extremely far behind.
    Well you do you, but you don't HAVE TO DO the rep grind again. It doesn't give you any player power.
    The problem with alts is that Primal Chaos and infusions are BoP.
    Make those bind on account and alts are poggers (at least until +20 keys, but that's kinda far away).

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleEscalation View Post
    Well you do you, but you don't HAVE TO DO the rep grind again. It doesn't give you any player power.
    The problem with alts is that Primal Chaos and infusions are BoP.
    Make those bind on account and alts are poggers (at least until +20 keys, but that's kinda far away).
    Professions are tied to renown. If you want to do professions on your alt, you need to grind renown. If you want to do the main story, you need to grind renown. Too much this expansion is bound to an excessive renown grind.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Professions are tied to renown. If you want to do professions on your alt, you need to grind renown. If you want to do the main story, you need to grind renown. Too much this expansion is bound to an excessive renown grind.
    I'm sorry, wtf? What's next, whinging that you can't get 2x or 3x skill points in enchanting because you leveled blacksmithing already?

If you want to do the main story, you need to grind renown.
    You don't. Story quests are unlocked for alts regardless of their renown level. For example my fresh alt could do the quest with Ysera and Malfurion after dinging 70, even though his Valdrakken renown was around 10
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I see toys, contracts, a handful of quality of life, Jewel crafting cuts but that's at like 9 so with the buff that will happen quick, profession equipment, a 34 slot bag, couple enchants at the lower levels. I mean most of the more I demand profession stuff is either tied to the Artisan guild which isn't with renown at all or from the skill tree

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    You don't. Story quests are unlocked for alts regardless of their renown level. For example my fresh alt could do the quest with Ysera and Malfurion after dinging 70, even though his Valdrakken renown was around 10
    That I don't know, thanks for the clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    I'm sorry, wtf? What's next, whinging that you can't get 2x or 3x skill points in enchanting because you leveled blacksmithing already?
    ?

Professions are basically worthless without the recipes you need to unlock via renown. I mean sure, you could skip professions on your alts altogether, but I don't think that was the main goal of the rework.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Why is reputation not just account-wide anyway?

What is the point of making someone, who has grinded to exalted or 25/30 faction rank have to re do it all again on alts?

I guess the knee-jerk response would be "well everyone would just level alts and spam introduction/world quests to level their rep far quicker than intended", but there's no reason why a normal/world quest can't just reward reputation once per account.

Honestly, I'd love it if most things were account wide. I dream of seeing that my Shaman is 87/100 victories in a battleground achievement, and being able to grind the 88th victory on a different character.

One can only dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Why is reputation not just account-wide anyway?

What is the point of making someone, who has grinded to exalted or 25/30 faction rank have to re do it all again on alts?

I guess the knee-jerk response would be "well everyone would just level alts and spam introduction/world quests to level their rep far quicker than intended", but there's no reason why a normal/world quest can't just reward reputation once per account.

Honestly, I'd love it if most things were account wide. I dream of seeing that my Shaman is 57/100 victories in a battleground achievement, and being able to grind the 58th victory on a different character.

One can only dream...
    An alt is a separate character.
    Where would you set the boundary between building that character and having a 1 button functionality allowing you to switch class and profession to any available in the game (like switching specs)? If the rep should be account-wide then why not make level account-wide too? Why not all currencies? Why not gear? Why not have all professions available to any character?

Is there some hard boundary you would set at all? It feels like with every expansion more stuff becomes account-wide (not saying it's bad), and people keep asking for more.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    i leveled up my resto druid solely with bgs in 3 days or so. wasn't even grinding, just logging on and doing some bgs everyday. by the time i was 70, i already had 16 trophy of strifes and 15k honor to spend.

dunno what op is talking about but dragonflight is the MOST alt friendly expansion ever.

and this is coming from someone who's playing the game since 2005.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Sigh, so I will have to live with mystery why removing mandatory grinds for character power makes this expansion alt unfriendly.
    You could just stop making straw man arguments and tone down the bad faith attitude a bit? There has to be a middle ground somewhere between having unrewarding world content and mandatory power grinds, and the current system is skewed too much to the former.

Raid or die is great if you're a raider who's happy to pay the subscription to raid log once a week. If you're not then there's fuck all reason to level alts and stay subbed. Why would I want to level more characters just to do hunts and soup events or the handful of gutted world quests? I could increase character power by farming rares and competing for tags in invasions but that's boring as fuck and definitely not worth doing for an entire expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like, extremely alt friendly..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Raid or die is great if you're a raider who's happy to pay the subscription to raid log once a week. If you're not then there's fuck all reason to level alts and stay subbed. Why would I want to level more characters just to do hunts and soup events or the handful of gutted world quests? I could increase character power by farming rares and competing for tags in invasions but that's boring as fuck and definitely not worth doing for an entire expansion.
    Because, I dunno, it is fun to change a playable character to experience different roles and play-styles? Because gearing process itself is fun for many?

Why literally EVERY new expansion since at least WoD we have people claiming it is THE most alt unfriendly and is PURE raid or die? Y'all had so much fun in Torghast or Island Expeditions, having to do mandatory grinds on every new character? Doing insane Essence/Corruption farm was fulfilling? And of course we got standard disregard of every new feature as "boring", or simply "not a feature". So ye, no wonder some only see Raids and M+.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-01-24 at 12:25 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Gotta say that the new profession system actually got me to bump heads with this "alt unfriendliness", as i can sorta see it now even if it's still vastly overblown.
    Practically it's more about recipes being behind pretty high walls of reputation (even with the 200% boost and boost items i.e. 21 renown is pretty steep), but more importantly about profession knowledge being gatef without catch-up behind weekly stuff.

I admit that i'm probably in the minority regarding this sort of thing, in that i've pretty much all professions spread across multiple alts, so even at worst i couldonly call this an issue with the profession systems, not alt unfriendliness per se.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Narzok View Post
    rep bound, non-account wide patterns for professions.
    you need rep with cobalt convent for tailor threads and usually 1 or 2 of the 4 main ones for other patterns.

so if someone wants an alt ONLY for tailoring, they still need to grind rep up again.
    100% completion of something should take some effort, else its completion does not mean much.

What's next? My main has 418 ilvl, and now I still need to farm weekly vaults on my alts? Outrageous!

It is a fucking recipe. Either farm it or do not. Please don't force a change on the game because you cant be fucking asked to 1h of WQs 2x a week.
    Last edited by Nite92; 2023-01-24 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    An alt is a separate character.
    Where would you set the boundary between building that character and having a 1 button functionality allowing you to switch class and profession to any available in the game (like switching specs)? If the rep should be account-wide then why not make level account-wide too? Why not all currencies? Why not gear? Why not have all professions available to any character?

Is there some hard boundary you would set at all? It feels like with every expansion more stuff becomes account-wide (not saying it's bad), and people keep asking for more.
    Why do so many people on this forum end up resorting to lazy logical fallicies as responses? It's honestly boring to deal with.

"1 button functionality allowing you to switch class and profession to any available in the game" - mhmm, well done.

Clearly it's not an outrageous pov and Blizzard agrees, as, in your own words, 'every expansion more stuff becomes account-wide'.

It just takes time like most things. I'd bet there are very few people are opposed to account wide mounts.

It's my understanding you're meant to choose a main -> level to max -> max all reps -> choose an alt -> level to max -> max all reps, with benefits of maxed out main reps.

That would be the most efficient way from my casual perspective whom doesn't even have alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Because, I dunno, it is fun to change a playable character to experience different roles and play-styles? Because gearing process itself is fun for many?

Why literally EVERY new expansion since at least WoD we have people claiming it is THE most alt unfriendly and is PURE raid or die? Y'all had so much fun in Torghast or Island Expeditions, having to do mandatory grinds on every new character? Doing insane Essence/Corruption farm was fulfilling? And of course we got standard disregard of every new feature as "boring", or simply "not a feature". So ye, no wonder some only see Raids and M+.
    Doing the soup event or playing tag-the-mob in invasions isn't any more fun on one class than it is on another (unless you're a druid with instant spammable ranged AoE). It's just tedious and doesn't constitute something worth doing for two years. If I was able to completely gear my character from renown, with unique full sets and weapons from each of the factions, that would make all the activities worthwhile. I'd have a good reason to do everything. Just make sure the gear is lower ilvl than raid gear so raiders don't complain about 'mandatory' grinds.

I appreciate this thread is now old, but in response - you are conflating alt friendliness with main swapping. These are very different things. If you stuck with your main to get the rep levels up, you would gain a boost to alt reps.

If you are seriously complaining about the systems because you're not being given a leg up after you have given up on multiple mains, I don't know what to say. Does any game give you kept progress when you quit a main before progressing it very far?

Lastly, the reps do not ultimately matter outside of cosmetics, and some gear that will generally be outdated before it is unlocked. If you're interested in cosmetics, there's no real time drive on them, you will get them soon on a new main. If you're worried about gear, don't be - the items from the rep vendors are obsolete by the time you would have unlocked them anyway. Problems solved.