Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I have to ask but what is even their argument. The intent is simply cruelty of course but they must have presented some argument.
    They want to make SNAP as useless as possible so they can then point at SNAP and go "Look how useless this is" so they can cut it completely
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They want to make SNAP as useless as possible so they can then point at SNAP and go "Look how useless this is" so they can cut it completely
    That can't be the reason. The US government pays SNAP. Iowa GQP can't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    That can't be the reason. The US government pays SNAP. Iowa GQP can't cut it.
    It's not just the Iowa GQP that wants to put more limits on SNAP.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's not just the Iowa GQP that wants to put more limits on SNAP.
    No doubt about that, and they can do certain limits like they are trying here, but it's federal law, and not just 1, we're talking dozens here. SNAP, is fairly entrenched even more so than safety nets like Medicaid, which itself is extremely difficult for states to just cut because of mandates regarding that. The state can't spend the money they get for SNAP on anything else either. There really is no mechanism in place for them to just cut it completely, really the only way outside US congress making changes to the program, or SCOTUS I guess saying food stamps is unconstitutional or some stupid nonsense.

It goes way beyond what most people are saying here. they can ONLY get items on the list:

https://idph.iowa.gov/Portals/1/user...21%20Final.pdf

you can't even get milk only skim milk or evaporated milk. got to get specific brands and package sizes. can't buy a large discount bag of rice or beans.

The cheese is vague too, you can't get cubed, diced or crumbled cheese but shredded is fine, also mozzarella is a domestic cheese.

there can't be ANY added ingredients in the products ofc, but a lot of the listed products have a lot of extra ingredients.

No added
    ingredients such as
    granola, nuts,
    honey, candy
    pieces, etc.
    also on the same page:

APPROVED BRANDS OR VARIETIES: Great Value: Plain
    Good & Gather: Plain, Honey
    Vanilla
    HyVee: Honey Salted Caramel,
    Plain, Honey Vanilla
    There are three pages on yoghurt. But no page on meat, can't get chicken, beef or pork. only canned tuna and (non-red)salmon. no tea or coffee, no large discount packages, peanut butter but not actual butter etc. Can only get large white or brown eggs.

Also the "bagged salad with no added ingredients" is a nice one, any salad is a salad with no added ingredients unless the ingredient doesn't belong there.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2023-01-23 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    It goes way beyond what most people are saying here. they can ONLY get items on the list:
    Yeah, because that WIC program was designed to supplement SNAP, not replace it.

10+ Year Old Account
    also mozzarella is a domestic cheese.
    See, this is not your fault.

This is American cheese:

American cheese is a type of...vaguely cheese-ish dairy-ish product...that takes the country's name like Swiss cheese did.

American cheese is a lot like American chocolate. It's designed for shelf-life more than taste. In particular, Kraft singles (these would be ruled out because they're sliced, but bear with me) say on the label shown they're a "pasteurized processed cheese product" and the ingredients look like this:

For those of you keeping score, 10% of your sodium in 19g of product is...not great. This block of Cabot White Oak cheddar I'm holding right now is cheese made in America, but if you call it "American cheese" a Vermont farmer will ring your doorbell, greet you politely, then punch you. It has less sodium in a 28g serving than the Kraft singles in 19g.

Now, proportionately, Kraft singles do have less fat, more protein and more calcium. And what makes them very popular in the US: they're cheap. As much as I don't like them, they are a realistic way of getting a dairy-like product into American youths. I might be willing to pay $10 to $40 per pound on the good shit, but I can't speak for everyone.

Removing this from SNAP is just more of "the cruelty is the point". I won't sing the praises of American cheese, but I don't think it should be removed from the people in most dire need of its nutrients. Hell, I think Wonder Bread is one of the ugliest inventions in American cuisine, I haven't had a slice since the N64 came out, but they load that shit up with vitamins and minerals on purpose.

So consider that a brief introduction into the world of "American cheese is a stupid name" with a hint of "I may not agree with your choice of food but I'll defend your right to a moderately healthy meal you can afford to feed your kids on minimum wage and food stamps".

P.S. saying "no sliced or cubed" is likely under the guise of "you're paying for the preparation, not the food" signed by Iowa legislators who probably eat 10 meals per week at restaurants.

You can't buy American cheese? Get the HUAC investigating these guys, these guys are RED. At least you can still get choccy milk and crispix in your communist hellscape

Also you can buy brown rice but not white rice, and you can buy canned non-red salmon, I wanna see that sushi, it's gonna look disgusting

And what are they gonna do if they see you buying something non-approved? "You bought eggs of the incorrect size its off to jail bucko"
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    You can't buy American cheese? Get the HUAC investigating these guys, these guys are RED. At least you can still get choccy milk and crispix in your communist hellscape

Also you can buy brown rice but not white rice, and you can buy canned non-red salmon, I wanna see that sushi, it's gonna look disgusting

And what are they gonna do if they see you buying something non-approved? "You bought eggs of the incorrect size its off to jail bucko"
    If it is passed into law, I would presume the supermarket would just not accept your food stamps because they would not be able to get them validated for credits by the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If it is passed into law, I would presume the supermarket would just not accept your food stamps because they would not be able to get them validated for credits by the state?
    Jesus Christ what a huge fucking waste of time getting bureaucrats to make sure the receipts have the right sized eggs on them.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Jesus Christ what a huge fucking waste of time getting bureaucrats to make sure the receipts have the right sized eggs on them.
    I assume that there is a protocol to check that the stamps are applied correctly. If the onus is entirely on the supermarket clerk, I would assume the companies will probably deny certain products out of an abundance of caution. It is possible given the extent and the legacy of the program that at least large chains have automated the process so it's not up to the clerk (in which case they would be requesting clarification from the government to make sure they have their lists up to date).

That said, I am not in the US and I cannot tell you how it functions. Perhaps there are no real checks?

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Reading the text of it, the bill is very oppressive. It's not even just fresh meat (requiring canned meat), it's other silly things like chili beans being banned. And a requirement that recipients can't have more than 1 car along with a list of other things. Many needy working families have 2 cars. It's not hard to see what's really going on there and what the real aim is.

Like DeSantis in Florida, Jodi Ernst in Iowa has been quietly pushing for a lot of the same type of extreme bills (while claiming it's the left that is 'radical'), to gain political points. And there have been reports she's been eyeing a 2024 Presidential bid also. So Iowa has been passing other MAGA-ish bills also with that aim like anything that can further removing gun purchasing requirements, cutting social programs around assistance and mental health program funding, etc. I feel for the folks that need it there getting impacted by a political sideshow.

i am the party of freedom and small government, anyway here is a list of all government approved food that the poors can eat, they cant have anything else.

Now i need to go back to working on my bill introducing a religious caste system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Something, something, small government, government overreach.

"It's a huge list": Iowa GOP bill would ban people on food stamps from buying fresh meat — and more

Iowan GOP lawmakers must be really bored to think up of legislations like this.
    Isn't this the menu that republicans claim would be what we would all be eating if we were a communist country? sounds like they are pretty open to pushing this sort of diet on people already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

This is American cheese:

American cheese is a type of...vaguely cheese-ish dairy-ish product...that takes the country's name like Swiss cheese did.

American cheese is a lot like American chocolate. It's designed for shelf-life more than taste. In particular, Kraft singles (these would be ruled out because they're sliced, but bear with me) say on the label shown they're a "pasteurized processed cheese product" and the ingredients look like this:

For those of you keeping score, 10% of your sodium in 19g of product is...not great. This block of Cabot White Oak cheddar I'm holding right now is cheese made in America, but if you call it "American cheese" a Vermont farmer will ring your doorbell, greet you politely, then punch you. It has less sodium in a 28g serving than the Kraft singles in 19g.

Now, proportionately, Kraft singles do have less fat, more protein and more calcium. And what makes them very popular in the US: they're cheap. As much as I don't like them, they are a realistic way of getting a dairy-like product into American youths. I might be willing to pay $10 to $40 per pound on the good shit, but I can't speak for everyone.

Removing this from SNAP is just more of "the cruelty is the point". I won't sing the praises of American cheese, but I don't think it should be removed from the people in most dire need of its nutrients. Hell, I think Wonder Bread is one of the ugliest inventions in American cuisine, I haven't had a slice since the N64 came out, but they load that shit up with vitamins and minerals on purpose.

So consider that a brief introduction into the world of "American cheese is a stupid name" with a hint of "I may not agree with your choice of food but I'll defend your right to a moderately healthy meal you can afford to feed your kids on minimum wage and food stamps".

P.S. saying "no sliced or cubed" is likely under the guise of "you're paying for the preparation, not the food" signed by Iowa legislators who probably eat 10 meals per week at restaurants.
    Kraft Singles American Cheese is a cheap processed version of American Cheese.

Real American Cheese is simply a colby/cheddar blend.

This is a case of things changing with the times. While both are technically American Cheese, any one who takes food seriously would still refer to American Cheese as its original version.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

snip
    I know what american cheese is, nobody needs that explaination.

The list says that you can't get american cheese (since it's not real cheese). It also says you can only get domestic cheeses and list mozzarella as one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Isn't this the menu that republicans claim would be what we would all be eating if we were a communist country? sounds like they are pretty open to pushing this sort of diet on people already.

- - - Updated - - -

Kraft Singles American Cheese is a cheap processed version of American Cheese.

Real American Cheese is simply a colby/cheddar blend.

This is a case of things changing with the times. While both are technically American Cheese, any one who takes food seriously would still refer to American Cheese as its original version.
    American Cheese is still made with cheddar, colby or similar cheeses otherwise it can't call itself american cheese in the US. One problem is ofc that cheddar is not really a type of cheese but it's named after a process and thus the taste and quality can be widely different between different cheddar cheeses. and they can use dried and powdered cheeses ofc which reduced quality.

There is cheese analogue some of which have no actual cheese blended in. most of them resemble mozzarella in appearance and melting quality. and pizza cheese is a product that often has very little real cheese in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Well, as far as they are concerned, SNAP is a filthy communist program and thusly everyone enrolled in it is a filthy communist... so they shouldn't mind eating like the filthy communists that they are.

Real food is for Real 'Muricans

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what american cheese is, nobody needs that explaination.
    Well I apologize then -- you referred to mozzerrella as "domestic" and didn't set your location, and I legit thought you didn't know. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Now i need to go back to working on my bill introducing a religious caste system
    At this point I'm waiting for some state level Republican to propose this without a hint of irony.

Republican party continues to be on the Iran track by all accounts.

This is American cheese:

Note they aren't calling it American cheese on the package. Original American cheese was simply a mix of different cheese types and became a protected as "American cheese" under federal regulation. Later they started mixing in cheaper ingredients and got a new term "American cheese food" which means it has minimum 51% cheese. Their present mix can't even meet that minimum standard so they made up a new name with "cheese product" as a unregulated term.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    Note they aren't calling it American cheese on the package.
    Except the big "American" in white text in the red box there.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    Original American cheese was simply a mix of different cheese types and became a protected as "American cheese" under federal regulation. Later they started mixing in cheaper ingredients and got a new term "American cheese food" which means it has minimum 51% cheese. Their present mix can't even meet that minimum standard so they made up a new name with "cheese product" as a unregulated term.
    Cool factoid I guess. I don't think anyone holds American cheese in high regard, and we're mostly pointing out the hypocrisy and empty patriotism of Republicans.