Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdslime View Post
    I mained hunter from vanilla to late WoD. I played it as almost a "dual main" when I took up tanking for my raid in HFC, but the Legion redesigns completely shook me and I've never really been able to be in love with the class play since.

Modern melee survival was a mistake. If they were hell-bent on melee hunter as an option it should've been Beast Mastery and it should've had dual-wield 1H as a viable equipment path to lean in to Rexxar.

Survival should be a heavily utilitarian DoT class with tons of mobility, slows, tranqs, traps, and so on. Big focus on these with tons of synergy between them, where setting traps or status effects up and then shooting mobs hit by these effects feels substantial and worth the investment in the setup.

While we're at it, Blizzard, let us Marksmanship players move during Aimed Shot again. This shouldn't be a debate. It's not really defensible design to make MM as immobile as a Warlock with none of the survivability or sideline raid utility (soulstone, summon, gate).

Despite a lot of naysayers, there really are some things Blizzard has done well in recent years, but Hunter definitely isn't one of them. They lost their way on this design and it sure seems like theyre stuck throwing good time and money after bad, so to speak, because they don't seem to be aware that the class is suffering from these baffling and sustained choices. When was the last time anyone you know really praised or enjoyed any spec of this very numerous class (outside of meta FOTM picks when it's numerically busted for a tier)?
    All of this

Quote Originally Posted by Subrias View Post
    Bliz needs to just make survival into a ranged spec again. In heroic Vault, Survial has 10k parses which is over 1/20th of the parses of BM (220k) and MM (260k) over the last 2 weeks. It has the lowest number of parses per spec in the game with the next one being fire mage at 22k which is over double what SV is. You cant even argue that the damage is why noone plays it. The damage is about the same as BM is and is hovering around the middle of the pack. the reason is just that people who play hunter (for the most part) don't want to play a melee character.
    Sorry but why does blizz need to make survival into a ranged spec again when you already have the option in both the other specs? So what if survival isn't popular play it if you want to play it and don't play it if you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    Sorry but why does blizz need to make survival into a ranged spec again when you already have the option in both the other specs? So what if survival isn't popular play it if you want to play it and don't play it if you don't?
    i dont get posts like this. wow only has 2 specs that use bow/gun and like 40 specs that are melee. why does a hunter one need to be melee?

As much as I like new survival, I have to admit that you're all right, it needs to go.

Survival should be a tank spec. We need more classes with both tank and ranged! (Currently only druid.)

All of the ideas in this thread are equally as awful as turning survival into melee in the first place

tank spec? bffr

What they should have done, is change it with dragonflight. Instead of survival they could build it into some sort of dragon tank!
    --- Chrinas likes his girls like an old man likes his whisky - 12 years old, and stored in the basement. - Former member of Bring Flask or Else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Survival should have had another overhaul going into df tbh its boring to play

I really wish throw-able spears/javelins became a part of survival spec (as ranged dps).

Despite being one of the most iconic hunting tools it has borderline no usage in WoW hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    As much as I like new survival, I have to admit that you're all right, it needs to go.

Survival should be a tank spec. We need more classes with both tank and ranged! (Currently only druid.)
    The game really does not need more tank specs

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    Simple. Blizzards reasoning for changing was originally that all 3 specs felt the same and were too similar. MM was basically a physical burst turret caster... If i wanted to play a caster i would play a caster (guess what.. i don't play casters). BM is a spec that feels like it does no damage and heavily relies on the pet. To each their own on that one, if thats what you like then so be it. Survival was a Bow class that focused on consistent magic damage. the feel of the 3 specs felt nothing alike. that is why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    All of the ideas in this thread are equally as awful as turning survival into melee in the first place

tank spec? bffr
    i wasnt suggesting they do that. i was saying a tank spec at least would have been a better option seeing as there are no mail based tank specs and it is named SURVIVAL which would make sense as a tank spec name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I really wish throw-able spears/javelins became a part of survival spec (as ranged dps).

Despite being one of the most iconic hunting tools it has borderline no usage in WoW hunters.
    I actually thought about that at some point too. using javelin as its weapon instead of bow, but at the same time, i like bows.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    The game really does not need more tank specs
    No, but it *does* need more ranged/tank classes. All other role combos (even melee/healer) have at least 3 classes. Ideally they'd give us the damn Guardian Evoker that is suspiciously missing, but if they don't want to add more specs I think Survival tank (and Unholy DK caster, WC2 style!) are the best options for rework.

Quote Originally Posted by Subrias View Post
    i wasnt suggesting they do that. i was saying a tank spec at least would have been a better option seeing as there are no mail based tank specs and it is named SURVIVAL which would make sense as a tank spec name.
    Preach it!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    Maybe it will. They're doing a big overhaul to Ret mid-expansion so hey ya never know. :P

It does really need to be mostly rebuilt from the ground up.
    I miss Fury of the Eagle being a Mongoose finisher. Was so hype to build up the stacks and then unleash the Fury.

Now it mostly feels like Mongoose fizzles out at the end, while Fury is an unrelated, rather plain 45 sec cd.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    With the talent trees there’s really no reason to change survival from being Melee when they can just add extra points to the MM tree and make the old play style an option.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Modern Hunter is such a disappointment. I originally played hunter because I saw that Dwarf in the original cinematic trailer, shooting with his gun with a bear by his side. That is the fantasy of a hunter. Ranged with a pet. Yet only 1 spec in the current game matches that. MM always takes Lone Wolf because it's a small increase on Single Target and a massive increase on AOE. SV is melee which literally no one asked for as evidenced by the abysmally low player count compared to the other specs. The only spec we have that represents what a hunter truly is, is BM and I honestly find BM kinda boring currently.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Lol I love Survival and I’m thankful every time I play my Hunter for a fun melee spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Survival is the most fun spec yet the least damage
    fun is subjective (though objectively disliked by hunter mains prior to the rework given the massive falloff in logging counts). damage isn't subjective. so overall, the spec is still a failure. i won't say the melee hunter needs to go as it really should have a melee spec in my mind, but bm was a much better choice to convert to melee and they've wasted it. just bring back old survival and let modern survival wallow in low damage and low player count.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    but bm was a much better choice to convert to melee and they've wasted it.
    Keep seeing this comment way too much. You do realise that turning bm into melee rather than sv would have been FAR more controversial right? Can you even imagine all the BM fans being forced into melee? There's also greater sentimental value to bm cause of spirit beasts and such. If they did it to bm instead, the controversy would've been skyhigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeywing View Post
    Keep seeing this comment way too much. You do realise that turning bm into melee rather than sv would have been FAR more controversial right? Can you even imagine all the BM fans being forced into melee? There's also greater sentimental value to bm cause of spirit beasts and such. If they did it to bm instead, the controversy would've been skyhigh.
    turning any hunter spec into melee was controversial to begin with. i'm not even going to bother reading the rest of your post...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also salty. Had extreme fun with SV in MoP & WoD and played hunter ever since. Never enjoyed melee SV. Playing a fury warrior with a pet and throwing bombs right in front of my face & on my pet just feels stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    turning any hunter spec into melee was controversial to begin with. i'm not even going to bother reading the rest of your post...
    Degree of controversy matters when you state one choice to be better than the other. You must consider the consequences before you can elevate any decision.

Beside that, BM must be a top3 contender for most played spec post-legion or some shit. That spec is always densely populated even when it is underperforming. If they made it melee that spec would... never have existed. That's your ''better'' choice and ''wasted opportunity'' by the way, and not just yours, but of many people. It's quite laughable tbh. Thinking like that is what made sv melee in the first place.