Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    lol Nothing about them looks 'metal' lol.

I don't think WoW has any 'metal' like imagery today. Unless its scourge, Foresaken, Legion, Vykrul or Dwarf related.
    Off the top of my head id say there are a few “metal” things in DF, like if you put that shadow flame portal thing on a dragon force cover it wouldn’t be out of place, or the first boss of the current raid with its metal plating/raw flesh and bones under it.

And SL was way over board on metal with like every single thing in the maw looking like a night wish cover.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    In TBC, it was only the Netherwing flight, which is mostly an offshoot dragonflight and completely optional.
    TBC also had the bronze, friendly blacks with Sebb and Kel repping the blue’s with him getting his own manga about how he was in love with the sun well.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I think you are very much in the wrong if you think that the WC3 were supposed to be cute, they were clearly cartoonish - which was absolutely intentional by the way but looking at the variety of WC3 models and going "yep, those were supposed to be cute" is just acting obtuse.
    Illidan literally has Pandas on his Warglaives.

The comparison with Starcraft and Diablo is bad for an obvious reason: Those were 2D games, whereas WC3 was literally Blizzards first 3D game.
    The fact that it's an RTS also plays an obvious role in the design, the head for example is very intentionally big as to make the units very readable from the top, very intricate designs are also distracting, nevermind the performance issues any more detailed stuff would've caused (remember, we're talking about a game that was in development since before the year 2000).

If you want to have more "realistic" or detailed models, then you have the Reforged models, which look okayish in the modelviewer but absolutely terrible in the game itself, especially once army gets larger and it becomes difficult to tell units apart.
    Disregarding that the Reforged art style has received almost universal criticism.
    And it doesn't changes the fact that Blizz went for a very cartoony, colorful and more friendly look. Another example, the Peons. you can't tell me they weren't supposed to look cute.

In TBC, it was only the Netherwing flight, which is mostly an offshoot dragonflight and completely optional.
    But even there you have to put tremendous effort to actually earn their trust, it's not a given.

But i agree that Wotlk is arguably the point where Dragons distinctly moved away from their more original image, whereas previous they were used in a much more restricted fashion, Wotlk used them far more often and also made most of them friendly by default.
    I think DF however it also becomes were apparent because the story very much humanizes them, which has its story purposes but in my eye makes them less distinct as dragons.
    I mean, they also released a ton of books and even a Manga before that, where Dragons are heroes and protagonists.

No, i am not.
    I literally wrote an entire paragraph to make it clear what i'm talking about.
    Going "Nuh-uh" isn't going to change that.
    Yeah and it had not a single coherent argument on why the artstyle has supposedly become elss mature. Especially considering that aesthetically, Heavy Metal is the most juvenile style imaginable.

Again, for you there are seemingly only two extremes:
    Cute and Dark / Serious.

If you only think these two exist, we need not discuss this further.
    You can't coherently explain what the problem with the current style is though.

Bolvar as the Lich King was a character people have speculated about his return for over a decade and people were quite hyped when he powered up after rising from his throne.
    Him just getting wrecked by Sylvanas and seeing the Helm of Domination destroyed had my, to put it in "modern terms", expectations subverted.
    It was also rather dark and serious, something that supposedly doesn't exist in WoW anymore since you left college.

Cute and cartoony are however not the same thing.

And honestly, throughout this 30+ page thread, you are the very first person i've seen to claim that the WC3 models look "cute".
    Which is probably a hint that you're not exactly in the majority with this opinion.
    Yeah, but I also am an emotionally healthy adult who isn't so stuck in their nostalgia bubble due to whatever personal dating related crisis that I delude myself into thinking Illidan having little pandas on his Warglaives isn't cute. There are people who cry about wokeness in this thread, which means that alot of people who agree with you are either the dirty f-word or will die virgins.

At this point it just becomes very tiring to argue because it's clear that you cannot differentiate between more than two dimensions.

Again, using WoD as reference on an aesthetic level, it has little semblance to the aesthetics of Shadowlands (the expansion, not the cinematic).
    Those delivered completely different vibes and if you frankly are unable to discern between the two, it is utterly pointless to argue about this because you either are unable or simply do not want to make that distinction.
    Yeah, because Shadowlands and WoD have entirely different aesthetics and settings. I could also say that WoD is all childish with their horns and bright colors and that Shadowlands is a return to the golden day of Wrath of the Lich King, as it uses similar color schemes and designs as Icecrown. Guess why.

No, not really.
    They both are cartoonish, but that's about it.

Nevermind that 2D and 3D are always difficult to compare (and most 90's cartoons were 2D).
    Not really, considering that the style deliberately leans into aesthetic styles of the classical 2D Cartoon. Otherwise we would talk about a realistic style.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    Illidan literally has Pandas on his Warglaives.
    Which is an Easter egg, they don't have them in WoW and are absent in the vast majority of official artwork of Illidan.
    And it doesn't changes the fact that Blizz went for a very cartoony, colorful and more friendly look. Another example, the Peons. you can't tell me they weren't supposed to look cute.
    They were supposed to be dim, as their voice lines clearly show that they're not bright.
    I mean, they also released a ton of books and even a Manga before that, where Dragons are heroes and protagonists.
    You mean Day of the Dragon?

Where most Dragons have secluded themselves into their own territory barring a few exceptions and those who live among mortals keep their identity a secret?
    Especially considering that aesthetically, Heavy Metal is the most juvenile style imaginable.
    And you're the judge on what style is mature, juvenile, silly or cute because..?
    You can't coherently explain what the problem with the current style is though.
    I think there are examples throughout this thread and frankly don't feel the urge to regurgitate for you.

Thing is, i am not artist therefore i cannot pinpoint every single aspect where a specific work deviates from another one, but i can say that for me it looks different.
    Of course, you're going to take this as proof that this makes somehow my opinion invalid, which i frankly don't give the slightest fuck about.

I don't need to be a chef either to say that two versions of the same meal might taste different without precisely pinpointing where these two versions deviate from another.
    Yeah, but I also am an emotionally healthy adult who isn't so stuck in their nostalgia bubble due to whatever personal dating related crisis that I delude myself into thinking Illidan having little pandas on his Warglaives isn't cute. There are people who cry about wokeness in this thread, which means that alot of people who agree with you are either the dirty f-word or will die virgins.
    If you want to have some culture war debates, feel free to pick them with those people.

But i think we can end this debate right here because it clearly has run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    And many of the voice overs.
    That end cinematic of Aberrus is so cringe, that the poor voice actor really did his best to make it "less" cringe as possible

Which is an Easter egg, they don't have them in WoW and are absent in the vast majority of official artwork of Illidan.

They were supposed to be dim, as their voice lines clearly show that they're not bright.
    Yeah, but still, it plays into the style of the game being more cheery, bright and yes, cartoonish in an often cute manner, with the style also being in place in World of Warcraft, classic woW being much more colorful and bright than other iterations of the game and the style remaining fairly cartoonish. Mature aspects where in the text, not the aesthetics. aesthetically, the style of World of Warcraft was always fairly child friendly. Even stuff like the Abominations were still drawn so cartoony, that they were on a similar level of explicit gore as cartoon zombies.

You mean Day of the Dragon?

Where most Dragons have secluded themselves into their own territory barring a few exceptions and those who live among mortals keep their identity a secret?
    And most dragons were benevolent guardians of the mortal race with the exception of the black dragons which got corrupted by the evil old gods.
    And you're the judge on what style is mature, juvenile, silly or cute because..?

I think there are examples throughout this thread and frankly don't feel the urge to regurgitate for you.
    Randomly clicking a former side, the first example was blatant homophobia. So are you sure the issue is the artstyle being so radically different instead of maybe you having being gaslit by people who try to make this a culture war issue that prevents them from mating with a female of the species?

Thing is, i am not artist therefore i cannot pinpoint every single aspect where a specific work deviates from another one, but i can say that for me it looks different.
    Of course, you're going to take this as proof that this makes somehow my opinion invalid, which i frankly don't give the slightest fuck about.
    So you can't rely explain how the style is different and how it bothers you? I already pointed out that the style of the game was gradually shifting forever, every expansion had quite some artistic changes. Just compare the unique Varian and Arthas models with the human models. Their faces are designed in a radically different artstyle from the vanilla humans. Cataclysm Worgen are radically designed different from Vanilla Worgen or even Wotlk Worgen Models, similar to Goblins. Warlords of Draenor, which you praise here, has a radically different artstyle in many of the new models compared to the original ones, just compare the old human male face with the new one.

Not to forget that there was, as far as I know, not that much of a radical shift in Blizzards artist team. Samwise Didier is still working at Blizzard but didn't do any World of Warcraft for a while now and Chris Robinson is I think the Senior Art Director for the game since Warlords of Draenor, which you praise. There are changes in artstyle, but those can be expected not only from a company that will hire different artists but also from individual artists.

I don't need to be a chef either to say that two versions of the same meal might taste different without precisely pinpointing where these two versions deviate from another.
    You should be able to pinpoint where they differenciate from one another, because otherwise it just as well can be subjective perception. People permanently think something suddenly taste different because their memories are unreliable. Like, yeah, there are artistic changes, they are not that radical, especially with how gradually they happened over time. Its noticable with Gnolls because the old model was so old and low quality. Pinpoint me how much the Alexstraszas model looks so much different outside of having greater details from the old ones.

Yes, it has. Moving on.
    "Wounds are for the desperate, blows are for the strong;
    balm and oil for weary hearts all cut and bruised with wrong.
    I forgive thy treason, I redeem thy fall;
    for iron—cold iron—must be master of men all!"

You'll believe it when you see it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Altmer View Post
    That end cinematic of Aberrus is so cringe, that the poor voice actor really did his best to make it "less" cringe as possible
    It's a rehash of the Eternal Palace one.

And many of the voice overs.

Many?

I tried hard to find 3.... THREE... that aren't cringy/disneyish.... I failed to.

So when old wow does silly cutesey stuff its "easter eggs that got changed later"
    but when current wow does it its "ruining the game" etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Many?

I tried hard to find 3.... THREE... that aren't cringy/disneyish.... I failed to.
    lol no you didnt.

How can WoW be family friendly when the design works to segregate the player base by ability, and more and more finely? Unless all your friends and family are at almost exactly the same skill level, it's going to tear them apart.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Yes, it has. Moving on.
    Hey, you can't do that! You have to spend an hour of your time writing an essay to support your argument and then discuss it with other members, even when by now the horse has been beaten so hard that it's nothing but a bloody pulp (with cute rainbows coming out of his ass).
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    So when old wow does silly cutesey stuff its "easter eggs that got changed later"
    but when current wow does it its "ruining the game" etc.
    Considering it's only present on a single model and pretty much absent in almost every artwork of that character, i think it should be obvious not to take it as "proof".
    One could also take it as unspoken acknowledgement by Blizzard that this easter egg may have crossed a line in hindsight, else they probably would've featured it in future models and artworks of Illidan if their intent for Illidan was to be "cute".

The comparison with Retail is just completely off in my mind, because here we are discussing a specific detail of a character's design, whereas on Retail the discussion is more about the art style in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    How can WoW be family friendly when the design works to segregate the player base by ability, and more and more finely? Unless all your friends and family are at almost exactly the same skill level, it's going to tear them apart.

I like your humor.

I like your humor.

The point stands, though. Superficial (and as we all must admit, largely irrelevant) "family friendliness" doesn't matter if the game's design is family unfriendly.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly this is now the least I've played WOW since 2004.
    My first thought was burnout and given never dropped my sub since 2004, But then even leveling alts in SL
    it feels better, It's like recent patches they have added all these new areas. As for the time rift events it comes across
    as sheer panic. Kill this, fill this, kill this again enter the rift.

Still feel given the amount of time players have been away from home they should have focused this expansion
    on domestic issues, How various factions have taken advantage of very little leadership. They cant carry on adding new continents
    Forbidden reach had a lot of potential it feels totally wasted. Orgi is back being dead the time rifts are nearly all Alliance
    it feels like we've stepped back to WOD in terms of player interest its huge shame.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altmer View Post
    Poor dude probably tried his best, but the task at hand was beyond human possibilities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post
    a bloody pulp (with cute rainbows coming out of his ass).
    Now that's very DF-ish lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Yes. Of course.
    Where is the poll?
    You know I should have done that IF I could figure out how. I am pretty clueless when it comes to a lot of that kind of stuff. I just have ideas and a decent amount to say and I can type halfway decent. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

The point stands, though. Superficial (and as we all must admit, largely irrelevant) "family friendliness" doesn't matter if the game's design is family unfriendly.
    They didn't mean its technical design but, story-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by oathy View Post
    Honestly this is now the least I've played WOW since 2004.
    My first thought was burnout and given never dropped my sub since 2004, But then even leveling alts in SL
    it feels better, It's like recent patches they have added all these new areas. As for the time rift events it comes across
    as sheer panic. Kill this, fill this, kill this again enter the rift.

Still feel given the amount of time players have been away from home they should have focused this expansion
    on domestic issues, How various factions have taken advantage of very little leadership. They cant carry on adding new continents
    Forbidden reach had a lot of potential it feels totally wasted. Orgi is back being dead the time rifts are nearly all Alliance
    it feels like we've stepped back to WOD in terms of player interest its huge shame.
    "The time rifts are nearly all alliance"
    W...what?
    Also imagine trying to claim shadowlands as alt friendly... Lol...

They were talking about wanting to make Blizzard the Disney of gaming around when Activision bought them.

Which is why everything after that is more family friendly and Pixar - esque.

Adults and kids generally both like Pixar movies (well did when they were making this decision and Pixar was in its prime).

Wider appeal = more money.

All the decisions are always rooted in "how can we make the most money"

It's sadly always that simple.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2023-08-11 at 06:46 AM.