Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well-spent lobbying money that's good for business?
    Indeed bribes I mean lobbying and donations are cheap insurance against pesky things like being held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well-spent lobbying money that's good for business?
    Lobbying is bribing under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Lobbying is bribing under a different name.
    No argument from me. Just look at the Exxon Valdez oil spill. They essentially spent pennies for billions in profit.
    As of December 15, 2009, Exxon had paid the entire $507.5 million in punitive damages, including lawsuit costs, plus interest, which were further distributed to thousands of plaintiffs. This amount was one-tenth of the original punitive damages, Exxon remained hugely profitable, the process of payment was drawn out over decades, and long term damage continues and is not funded by Exxon. Hence, the Exxon spill is often cited as shorthand for corporate responsibility for societal damage not being enforced adequately.

Here's an interview with Ohio governor Mike DeWine on PBS Newshour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read about this days ago and read something about peoples pets ding and a bunch of conspiracy nonsense as per usual making the rounds. So far on the Alt Right I am seeing this might be a terrorist attack because of other derailments happening along with balloons. Not sure what to think about the situation so far, I'll wait until a full investigation has concluded.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2023-02-14 at 04:37 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Read about this days ago and read something about peoples pets ding and a bunch of conspiracy nonsense as per usual making the rounds. So far on the Alt Right I am seeing this might be a terrorist attack because of other derailments happening along with balloons. Not sure what to think about the situation so far, I'll wait until a full investigation has concluded.
    I am not sure why there would be this seems pretty straight forward thanks to lobbying we loosened a lot of safety measures for toxic chemical transportations near civilian populations. This is the first but it will not be the last because deregulation means these companies can get away with it. As for the spill itself most chemical experts don't understand why the EPA is acting as it is since these chemicals are very hard to get rid of. There's plenty of videos and evidence that pets and animals are dying the EPA has responded saying some of the water got contaminated by water from the pipes is safe.

I doubt we will get a reliable investigation into this since it's not clear who can be trusted with everyone trying to avoid blame. There's tons of class action lawsuits already in the works making this even more complicated.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't a terrorist attack. Brakes caught on fire which isn't uncommon for rail cars.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deregulation and corporations cost-cutting and potentially violating the law, tell me a more iconic duo that's responsible for more death, damage, and suffering.

Hope the folks living nearby get fat paychecks outta this and a review of the company and related regulations, but we all know nothing much will likely come of it.

1+ Year Old Account

Just some ordinary clouds, nothing to see here. Promise they're not toxic.

Holy fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I am not sure why there would be this seems pretty straight forward thanks to lobbying we loosened a lot of safety measures for toxic chemical transportations near civilian populations. This is the first but it will not be the last because deregulation means these companies can get away with it. As for the spill itself most chemical experts don't understand why the EPA is acting as it is since these chemicals are very hard to get rid of. There's plenty of videos and evidence that pets and animals are dying the EPA has responded saying some of the water got contaminated by water from the pipes is safe.

I doubt we will get a reliable investigation into this since it's not clear who can be trusted with everyone trying to avoid blame. There's tons of class action lawsuits already in the works making this even more complicated.
    I guess if one works from a position that anything is possible, rather than probable individuals arrive at conspiracy's to the effect of, well this could have happened. For the most part that is all you need.

Kind like 70 and 80 detective serials, where the obvious asshole has to be the killer, cause he's an asshole. All the while it's widowed Grandma who's always had a pension for contaminated baked goods and several dead husbands.

As for journalism, or the lack thereof for reliable investigations outside of the official, the problem is corporations and ratings more than it is propaganda in my opinion. Salaciousness sells, although as much as CNN, MSNBC might get it wrong it's at least not completely made up. Manilulating audiences doesn't mean the information is incorrect it might mean it's not complete.

As for the rogue independent click bait journalist trying to plug their Cashapp, Patreon or OnlyFans. I wouldn't consider any of that journalism or otherwise.

Personally I think the big problem again is corporations and catering to audiences that much rather know about Kim Kardasian or the Bachelor than they want to know what is going on in the world. Because knowing something is wrong might task people with doing something, and people only wat to do something when it's popular one way or another.

Give me the old boring news with just the facts, and Journalist who pester the fuck out of the experts and everyone else for a straight answer. Reporters that weren't afraid to get punched in the face to get to the truth of what's going on regardless to leanings. I don't see that anymore.

And as Much as I loved Dan Rather for example, I really doubt in his time as the Anchor for CBS news, h did a hell of a lot of fact checking Ala Bush Jr's Service record debacle.

But I do trust Dan Rather, I trust Meadows. I agree we might not get all the answers but once the official investigation is complete. I can decide based on that process what I trust and what I don't. As opposed to what I mentioned.

As for the dangerous chemicals and transportation, I'd say laxed regulations if that IS what is causing this my question is OK so what DO we do then.

1. Spend more money for more oversite meaning TAXES

2. We develop a new way to get the materials we need like Oil and some of the toxic chemicals we need for a variety of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Wasn't a terrorist attack. Brakes caught on fire which isn't uncommon for rail cars.
    Brakes catching on fire caused a multi ton train to derail?

Aren't there redundant systems in play to keep that kind of thing from happening, and if their was, how was a complete and total failure possible?

Railways have been the backbone entire industries global, not saying your explanation isn't it, but makes m question how much we ever really know about a things we should be sure about.

So have the DoT and EPA announced full investigations yet? I imagine they'd be the two most relevant agencies with regulatory involvement here.

Either way, in the off-chance they do anything I look forward to some very extensive reports documenting widespread failures and dishonestly, and a paltry, inconsequential fine because that's all they have the authority to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, there is a place called "East Palestine" in Ohio. I was rather confused by what the fuck kind of disaster could possibly affect both eastern parts of Palestine and Ohio at the same time. Although I'm still confused as to why they would name their place that. Like having an area in China and calling it West Sweden.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand, a certain management technique combined with staff shortages are the root cause of it all. Inspections used to be 3 min per car, now its 90 seconds and the trains are a LOT longer. So when the brakes fail on one car it also fucks with the rest of the cars behind it. Staff just simply arent given enough time to do proper inspections so things will be missed

Thats what I understand form people that work in the industry

As for the dangerous chemicals and transportation, I'd say laxed regulations if that IS what is causing this my question is OK so what DO we do then.

1. Spend more money for more oversite meaning TAXES

2. We develop a new way to get the materials we need like Oil and some of the toxic chemicals we need for a variety of things.
    We don't need to tax regular people those multi billion dollar corporations that are making record profit off these chemicals can pay more taxes so they can be regulated properly. It's similar to the BP oil spill the entire tragedy was due to cost cutting of a rather cheap part, these corporations cut everything to the bone to maximize profit and regular people pay for it. The government is supposed to be the guard rail against these people so loosening regulation is always a bad idea and only lead to shit like this.

The BP oil spill was one of the toughest times in my life and I wish the best for the people dealing with this. Most will be swept under the rug while some will get a pittance for the damage caused while some companies in the town will make bank and walk away leaving the place a shell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Pretty much. You spend to much time doing the right thing you get a target on you. My first day on the job the Superintendent said "You learn how to do things safe and you learn how to do things fast. If you can't do both you won't be here long." Thankfully he's not here anymore.

As for the brakes failing, it would only affect the cars behind it if it involves the air pressure running through the train. A "hot box" wouldn't affect the cars behind it until a derail happens. And even then if it's a "minor" enough derail it might not even do that.

https://youtu.be/3APTRhEIDWw?t=99

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    We don't need to tax regular people those multi billion dollar corporations that are making record profit off these chemicals can pay more taxes so they can be regulated properly. It's similar to the BP oil spill the entire tragedy was due to cost cutting of a rather cheap part, these corporations cut everything to the bone to maximize profit and regular people pay for it. The government is supposed to be the guard rail against these people so loosening regulation is always a bad idea and only lead to shit like this.
    I don't disagree with the bolded part, but here is my question. At what point is the risk something that is shared, mostly with those that require and demand what they produce?

Keep in mind it's the year 2023 now, we KNOW there are risk, I would suspect there are SUPPOSED to be fail safes as I addressed, but at some point PEOPLE not corporations, not governments PEOPLE have to choose and make decisions.

And I don't give a fuck WHAT anyone's political leanings or or most ideology, NOBODY in terms of PEOPLE in general like the idea that PEOPLE have take some accountability and responsibility. THAT INCLUDES MYSELF

Nothing is more powerful than PEOPLE and when people decide to do ANYTHING.

We use the toxic chemicals and rely on the services these companies supply. And in terms of a private matter or business.

Keep in mind making decisions and choices that move the needle forward or involves change, sacrifice and acceptance of change is going to be required, so as PROGRESSIVE as a even a handful are, that last bit even gets them.

The BP Oil spill, they are responsible for the productions of OIL, and on the whole they SEEM to do that without fail, meaning not nearly as many oil spills on the level that became the most famous.

HOWEVER it is WE the Consumers who KNOW how that oil is produced, where it comes from, and what the RISKS are, just like the train derailment. That has to come into the conversation.

I don't disagree with the bolded part, but here is my question. At what point is the risk something that is shared, mostly with those that require and demand what they produce?
    Never. It's never shared. Why would it ever be shared? It's not my responsibility to make sure my iphone is being made without slave labor or being shipped over on boats that don't use slave labor, that's on Apple. If that means they have to charge a bit more fine, but consumers bear no responsibility in the decisions that corporations make themselves and I'm honestly unsure where you would ever come up with such a preposterous notion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    From what I understand, a certain management technique combined with staff shortages are the root cause of it all. Inspections used to be 3 min per car, now its 90 seconds and the trains are a LOT longer. So when the brakes fail on one car it also fucks with the rest of the cars behind it. Staff just simply arent given enough time to do proper inspections so things will be missed

Would you believe that the regulations around railcar inspections were made less stringent by the Trump administration?