Why society didn't cancel Justin Bieber?

We all hear celebrities getting cancalled for old tweets, but Justin Bieber was given a pass back in 2014, when he sang racist things about the African-American community?

usher gave him an n word pass

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    usher gave him an n word pass
    Checked the urban dictionary, that pass is with an 'a' at the end, Beebs used hard R

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidDrake View Post
    We all hear celebrities getting cancalled for old tweets, but Justin Bieber was given a pass back in 2014, when he sang racist things about the African-American community?

Why do you actually care?

10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds, smells, and looks like a bait thread.....
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Looks like the right things were done:

A parody of the song performed by Bieber caused controversy after a video of it was released by the entertainment news website TMZ on June 4, 2014. The video featured a then 15-year-old Bieber, parodying the song with the main lyric "One less lonely n***," and singing that if he were to kill "one less lonely n***," he'd be "part of the KKK." Sources stated that Bieber told his mentors, musicians Usher and Will Smith, about the video after it was filmed, after which Usher showed Bieber some videos about the history of racism in an effort to teach him about the derogatory intent of the word "n***r" and other racial epithets.[36][37] On June 5, 2014, the rapper and president of Young Money Entertainment, Mack Maine chose to defend Bieber after the racist remarks. Maine said Bieber is still family for the artists on Young Money, according to TMZ. The publication reports that Maine says Bieber has black friends and that "Bieber does not have a slave mentality." According to Mack Maine, Bieber "treats his people with respect." Mack Maine has said that he brought up a racial joke in his past. "I remember telling a White man, Chinese man, Black man joke as a kid that was terrible," Maine says, "and I told it to my friends because I thought they'd think it was funny." Mack Maine also confirms that Young Money and Justin Bieber are slated to continue working together.[38] On the same day, Bieber apologized for the parody, saying "I didn’t realize at the time that it wasn’t funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance" and "I take all my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable behavior."[39]

If we decided to crucifying's everyone for what they did when they were young, stupid, and 14....

7+ Year Old Account
    Burning all of Justin Bieber cassettes and wall posters!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cancelling" doesn't happen. The entire conspiracy theory boils down to rich, powerful people facing even a little bit of criticism and pushback over terrible things they've said or done, and not liking being expected to be accountable for it. That's it. They want to be abusive, harmful shitheads, and still get nothing but adulation and praise, and someone saying "yo, that's super shitty of you" is totes unfair and has to be stopped.

That's the argument against "cancel culture". Nobody has actually been "cancelled". At best, people choose to no longer support/work with someone who's known to be toxic, abusive, or bigoted. That's it. And even then, unless it's involved actual prison time, it's generally a slight dip in their careers, at best. Maybe they lose their original audience because that audience decided they're not actually worth a second chance. But that's just how popularity works. You can't demand an audience. If people think you're shit, and don't want to support you, that's it. That's not "cancelling", that's you being unpopular and unwanted, and being too much of a fucking baby to admit that you earned it.

Society doesn't choose to "cancel" anyone. People choose to support or criticize anyone for whatever reason they feel is against their moral, taste or ethical line- which has been done since, well, all time.

There was likely a caveman who thought Bob was a prick and said, "I'm not interested in Bob's shadow puppet theater if he is going to act like a jerk."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This sounds, smells, and looks like a bait thread.....
    Baby baby baby

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't understand why then you definitely have no business speaking on it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Cancelling" doesn't happen. The entire conspiracy theory boils down to rich, powerful people facing even a little bit of criticism and pushback over terrible things they've said or done, and not liking being expected to be accountable for it. That's it. They want to be abusive, harmful shitheads, and still get nothing but adulation and praise, and someone saying "yo, that's super shitty of you" is totes unfair and has to be stopped.

That's the argument against "cancel culture". Nobody has actually been "cancelled". At best, people choose to no longer support/work with someone who's known to be toxic, abusive, or bigoted. That's it. And even then, unless it's involved actual prison time, it's generally a slight dip in their careers, at best. Maybe they lose their original audience because that audience decided they're not actually worth a second chance. But that's just how popularity works. You can't demand an audience. If people think you're shit, and don't want to support you, that's it. That's not "cancelling", that's you being unpopular and unwanted, and being too much of a fucking baby to admit that you earned it.
    Yeah, came here to say this. "Cancel culture" is not a thing.

As for what kind of backlash Bieber got from this (if any), I don't know and I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

5+ Year Old Account
    This is closed. The topic of this thread isn't wise.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."