Thread: New build idea

New build idea

So i decided to build this myself

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/hav...d/#view=CZFR4D

What do you think? Since this is my first time building a pc from zero is that hard? I'm a bit worried about RTX4090 melting cables drama
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    14900k is supposed to be coming out in like 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    14900k is supposed to be coming out in like 2 days.
    First ^ this.
    From what is LEAKED from Intel they are aiming for 5% single core and up to 15% multicore improvement over 13900k.

Second, i hardly see the need for 4090 and to pay 2.150e for it. Its a huge overkill if you wont use it in any type of workload which earns you money. You could spend that money elsewhere in your build, or better yet - in your life.
    I have 4080 oc and im yet to find a game which will give it a hard-time.

Third, suggestion/question - have you considered Ryzen over Intel?
    Im asking you this because current Ryzen motherboards will have support with new CPUs up to 2025 (thats at least 2 more generations of CPUs) for sure while Intels current platform support ends up with 14k series and they will move to new CPU socket.
    Intel is kinda putting a stop on your upgrade potential down the road, while Ryzen is not.
    Personally, if i would go with 4090 (which is a overkill again) i would go with Ryzen and in two-three generations just buy new CPU to utilize that GPU even better, just like the people did with previous Ryzen generation - older Ryzen cpu > 5800x3D
    Last edited by Gurg; 2023-10-15 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's not nerfed unless it's live.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurg View Post
    First ^ this.
    From what is LEAKED from Intel they are aiming for 5% single core and up to 15% multicore improvement over 13900k.

Second, i hardly see the need for 4090 and to pay 2.150e for it. Its a huge overkill if you wont use it in any type of workload which earns you money. You could spend that money elsewhere in your build, or better yet - in your life.
    I have 4080 oc and im yet to find a game which will give it a hard-time.

Third, suggestion/question - have you considered Ryzen over Intel?
    Im asking you this because current Ryzen motherboards will have support with new CPUs up to 2025 (thats at least 2 more generations of CPUs) for sure while Intels current platform support ends up with 14k series and they will move to new CPU socket.
    Intel is kinda putting a stop on your upgrade potential down the road, while Ryzen is not.
    Personally, if i would go with 4090 (which is a overkill again) i would go with Ryzen and in two-three generations just buy new CPU to utilize that GPU even better, just like the people did with previous Ryzen generation - older Ryzen cpu > 5800x3D
    I'm planning to use a 3 screen sim racing setup in the future (currently using single 49" 32:9) so gpu power is quite welcome

As for cpu i did another build with amd, don't know why with intel it gives me around 100 more W power usage so i'm forced to pick a 1000W psu, here i can use a 850W one

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/hav...d/#view=DYL8ZL
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    I'm planning to use a 3 screen sim racing setup in the future (currently using single 49" 32:9) so gpu power is quite welcome

As for cpu i did another build with amd, don't know why with intel it gives me around 100 more W power usage so i'm forced to pick a 1000W psu, here i can use a 850W one

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/hav...d/#view=DYL8ZL
    because Intel chips use astronomically more power than AMD chips by the very nature of Intel chips being on a process node that's like 8 years old at this point.

as to your build, there's three main issues:

you should swap CPU to the 7800x3d chip unless you are planning on doing a lot of video editing/animation rendering etc.

because of your use case, and the fact you're also running high end hardware, I would invest the extra money necessary to get an X670 mobo instead of a lower tier B650 board, especially with you wanting to run a racing sim setup you will want to have the ability to fine tune your hardware which most B650 boards don't allow that well.

in terms of your storage option, I would personally not buy a Samsung drive atm, get a Sabrent rocket or similar, while they said they had fixed the issue there was a very serious fault with Samsung drives recently that rendered the drives dead so if you wanna roll that dice you can, and still pay the brand premium for the name, or just go with a similar alternative that doesn't have that issue, choice is yours but that's what I would do.

outside of the above it looks pretty much good to go.

I'm a bit worried about RTX4090 melting cables drama
    Youre literally more likely to be hit by lightning. Its like.. .03% of cards or something.

As it looks like pcpartpicker is broken for italy (everything from amazon) i made a new one here: https://pangoly.com/en/build/share/b...3-4b955adf7f30
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

I'm a bit worried about RTX4090 melting cables drama
    Just make sure the power cable is connected correctly and doesn't bend too much and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    because Intel chips use astronomically more power than AMD chips by the very nature of Intel chips being on a process node that's like 8 years old at this point.

you should swap CPU to the 7800x3d chip unless you are planning on doing a lot of video editing/animation rendering etc.

because of your use case, and the fact you're also running high end hardware, I would invest the extra money necessary to get an X670 mobo instead of a lower tier B650 board, especially with you wanting to run a racing sim setup you will want to have the ability to fine tune your hardware which most B650 boards don't allow that well.

outside of the above it looks pretty much good to go.
    Seconding this. if you are going for 3 monitor setup for racing sim then Ryzen 7800x3D and good x670 mobo will set you for next few years easily.
    On top of that, as i said, you can just swap CPU with newer AM5 later on and be up to pace with upgrades again.

You will find reaaaallly good roundup about AM5 motherboards here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTBnzUF6EbE
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1riqtgfFsA

This dude is hardcore overclocked, hes outstanding in his reviews and goes into detailed explanations about boards lines, power distribution and connectivity.
    Tho you would need to check availability of boards and prices now since videos are few months old, but again you dont watch them to learn prices but to get information about the boards.

And yeah, 4090 for tripple monitor setup is good choice.
    @D3athsting are you, by any chance, using Samsung's Neo9 ultrawide monitor?
    Whats your experience with it? How lets say practical it is for other stuff beside gaming?
    Im eyeing Neo9 for some time now and im on a roller-coaster for it - on one side its every man-child's wet dream ffs, on other end i know that due to their aspect ration they have adjustment period for stuff like media playing, streaming, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's not nerfed unless it's live.

So i decided to build this myself

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/hav...d/#view=CZFR4D

What do you think? Since this is my first time building a pc from zero is that hard? I'm a bit worried about RTX4090 melting cables drama
    Seems a bit excessive, but the build itself isn't bad. Only thing that's a little strange is the 32 GB of ram. That's probably just me, thought.

The issue with the power cables is a non issue. If you're building this on your own, just make sure your cables are inserted completely and locked into place correctly. The problem was people not inserting the cable all the way and it would heat up, expand, come unplugged then arc. Silliest thing about it is the connector has a clip on it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Youre literally more likely to be hit by lightning. Its like.. .03% of cards or something.
    And worse yet, user error.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurg View Post
    Seconding this. if you are going for 3 monitor setup for racing sim then Ryzen 7800x3D and good x670 mobo will set you for next few years easily.
    On top of that, as i said, you can just swap CPU with newer AM5 later on and be up to pace with upgrades again.

You will find reaaaallly good roundup about AM5 motherboards here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTBnzUF6EbE
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1riqtgfFsA

This dude is hardcore overclocked, hes outstanding in his reviews and goes into detailed explanations about boards lines, power distribution and connectivity.
    Tho you would need to check availability of boards and prices now since videos are few months old, but again you dont watch them to learn prices but to get information about the boards.

And yeah, 4090 for tripple monitor setup is good choice.
    @D3athsting are you, by any chance, using Samsung's Neo9 ultrawide monitor?
    Whats your experience with it? How lets say practical it is for other stuff beside gaming?
    Im eyeing Neo9 for some time now and im on a roller-coaster for it - on one side its every man-child's wet dream ffs, on other end i know that due to their aspect ration they have adjustment period for stuff like media playing, streaming, etc
    I have the vanilla G9 not Neo, so here's my experience fwiw:
    HDR is subpar and as expected is blown away by alienware Oled, VRR/Gsync compatibility is hit and miss and sometimes screen loses signal and goes black and you have to turn it off/on again,tried using a new vesa certified dp cable but didn't help, from what i've read on the web (not from samsung) it's a known issue among the community and it's because of poor QA from samsung so it's like a lottery when buying it, again gsync on AW monitor works like a charm.
    Technical issues aside there are still many games who don't support that aspect ratio (21:9 seems to be way more popular) and without the correct fov image is warped at the edges, objects are stretched and look closer than they are, also keep in mind that 1000R is a pretty aggressive curve so it will take some time to get used to it.
    That said image quality is quite good and colors are spot on, black is acceptable
    For other non gaming related uses i'd say 21/9 is more than enough, unless you don't do online trading and need 20 open windows at once

In the end i decided to hardmount it to the sim rig and get the AW 34" QD Oled, i swear they don't make a 49" version of that

TLDR i wouldn't reccomend for general purpose gaming unless you don't do sim racing or use flight sims

Again haven't tested the neo g9 that ofc has better hdr
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©