Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Because Havoc DHs do the same. Windwalker and Mistweaver monks bring the same physical debuff as the brewmaster monk. Also, like I've been saying before: that is one single ability. If a spec is dedicated to buffing others, they'll have many said buffing abilities, not just a single one.
    And DKs having the best self heal among the tanks? Why doesn't that make them OP?

Except... it's not "very real". It's wishful thinking, and even dataminers have come out to say that this isn't what is going to happen.
    No, its speculation backed by a lot of evidence. Also data miners only have access to info up to 10.1, not 10.1.5, or 10.1.7 when this spec is more likely to be playable.

You mean, as a fact. Because the whole purpose of the "empower" mechanic is that you can choose at which level of power you will use the ability. Just altogether removing that from a spec's rotation completely renders the whole purpose of the mechanic moot.
    Except it wouldn't, because like I said the buff would be stackable like Maelstrom Weapon. So an Evoker should be able to instant cast Empower at various stages of the stackable buff. Just like Malestrom Weapon taking 20% off the cast time per stack, Evokers could have a stackable buff that allows them to instant cast Empower at level 2, 3, or max.

That is nowhere near the same thing or on the same level as gaining a whole new spec with a whole new role in the middle of an expansion. For one, giving a class new race options doesn't fuck up the class balance.
    Again, how is tanking, DPS, or Healing a whole new role?

Okay, then watch me prove as a fact that you didn't read it:

The blood DK cannot:
    • Heal himself as well as a healer could; and
    • Heal others like a healer could.
    Who is saying that a Augmentation spec could perform the roles of a different spec?

Oh that's right, no one. You're creating an argument that doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    I suppose it could be augmentation AND be a tank. Augmenting themselves with elementium plates, like Cataclysm era Deathwing did. Or using alchemical concoctions that mutate them into larger hulks, like some of his subordinates.
    I feel it would make more sense than a DPS or a Healer, and not appear as gimmicky. The problem with applying another DPS or Healer to the Evoker class is that Devastation and Preservation really covers their respective roles well, and another spec in either role would feel pretty redundant and/or take away from those specs. I mean, what would make a new Evoker healer or DPS feel differently than what we have currently?

The Devs simply have far more design space to work with on a black dragon spec based on tanking. Also tanks can offer support to a group without having to worry about DPSing as well as a DPS or healing as well as a healer. They can augment the group at a very high level as long as they deal enough damage to kill enemies, and produce enough damage mitigation to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Again, what would be the difference mechanically?
    The same difference, mechanically, between Arms warriors tanking, and Protection warrios tanking. Arms warrios cannot tank Eranog just because they can slap a shield and use Shield Block.

If the gameplay doesn't sacrifice any of Augmenter's primary role for it to provide support, then nothing really matters.
    It does matter. Because what you just described is a spec that is superior to the others. While others DPS spec focus on dealing damage, with the occasional support ability thrown around, here you have a spec that focuses on both damage-dealing and support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And DKs having the best self heal among the tanks? Why doesn't that make them OP?
    No. Because their self-heal is not sufficient to keeping them alive. A DK tank still needs healers keeping them alive against a boss. I'll repeat-- again-- the part that is important in my original question that you keep overlooking:
    just as well as an actual healer spec can

No, its speculation backed by a lot of evidence. Also data miners only have access to info up to 10.1, not 10.1.5, or 10.1.7 when this spec is more likely to be playable.
    Again, it's not going to happen in the middle of the expansion because of how it would throw off the meta. Even if this new spec is just your run-of-the-mill DPS or healer spec, it'll still throw off balance and the meta in big ways.

Again, how is tanking, DPS, or Healing a whole new role?
    Again: the role of support.

Who is saying that a Augmentation spec could perform the roles of a different spec?
    How about you read the damn question and answer it instead of dodging it?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Because their self-heal is not sufficient to keeping them alive. A DK tank still needs healers keeping them alive against a boss.
    Just like a tank with powerful active buffs would still need healers to keep them alive.

I'll repeat-- again-- the part that is important in my original question that you keep overlooking:
    And again, who is arguing for a tank that heals just as well as a healer can?

Again, it's not going to happen in the middle of the expansion because of how it would throw off the meta. Even if this new spec is just your run-of-the-mill DPS or healer spec, it'll still throw off balance and the meta in big ways.
    And yet when asked about a new spec being added in the middle of an expansion, Blizzard devs didn't say anything about balance issues. They simply said it was something they've never done before. Also how much testing do you think a single spec would require to be brought into the game?

Again: the role of support.
    Where did I say anything about a support role? Where did the evidence say anything about a support role? The evidence simply points to a spec based on the black dragonflight with "Augmentation" being the possible name of the spec. Given the terminology, this spec could be Healing, DPS, or Tanking.

That's all.

How about you read the damn question and answer it instead of dodging it?
    I did read the question and your question is absurd. Again, who is saying we should have a DPS spec that heals as well as a healer, or a healing spec that does damage as well as a DPS? The only thing close is a suggestion for a dual-role spec like old feral. Seriously, wtf are you talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

I added Neltharion's voice lines to the OP for Clue #10.

Also I think this is an interesting overlooked clue to what Emberthal's weryn did;

The Adamant Vigil

This weyrn shall be the eyes and ears of the black dragonflight and the legions of dracthyr.

Where our enemies tread, you will find them. Where our armies fly, it will be your guidance that directs their talons. Learn the weaknesses of our foes and amplify the strength of our allies.

Only the most bold, most cunning, and most gifted commanders shall join the ranks of the Adamant Vigil. This weyrn shall be granted unprecedented authority to act on its own initiatives, and shall answer to only Scalecommander Emberthal and the Earth-Warder.
    Buffing and debuffing alongside a position of command and acting on their own initiative. That definitely sounds like a tank to me.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-04-03 at 10:25 AM.

Just like a tank with powerful active buffs would still need healers to keep them alive.
    Wrong. Because those party/raid buff abilities aren't there to keep the tank alive. They're there to buff the party/raid. This is a tank performing a second role that is "buffing everyone" alongside its tanking job.

And again, who is arguing for a tank that heals just as well as a healer can?
    You really don't care to read what other people write, do you? You really don't care to understand the arguments, right? You literally take hypothetical examples used to illustrate an argument as if they're an argument in and of themselves.

And yet when asked about a new spec being added in the middle of an expansion, Blizzard devs didn't say anything about balance issues. They simply said it was something they've never done before. Also how much testing do you think a single spec would require to be brought into the game?
    Significant. Just as much as any other spec they add in a new class.

Where did the evidence say anything about a support role?
    The description of "augmentation" itself, the meaning of the word itself.

I did read the question and your question is absurd.
    No, you didn't. Considering I have to repeat it to you twice and then repeat the context a third time it's clearly evident you did not. Again, Teriz: it's a simple question of "A" and "B" answers.

Also I think this is an interesting overlooked clue to what Emberthal's weryn did;
    And read the first line of the Adamant Vigil's description in your quote: "This weyrn shall be the eyes and ears of the black dragonflight and the legions of drathyr" That sounds a lot more like being sneaky like a rogue than it does being a front-line fighter like a tank. "Learn the weaknesses of our foes" also indicate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. Because those party/raid buff abilities aren't there to keep the tank alive. They're there to buff the party/raid. This is a tank performing a second role that is "buffing everyone" alongside its tanking job.
    Why couldn’t they be? Look at Ebon Might, a spell from Sarkereth that buffs the caster after the caster has stacked enough buffs on their allies. Such a buff could easily benefit the damage mitigation of the tank.

You really don't care to read what other people write, do you? You really don't care to understand the arguments, right? You literally take hypothetical examples used to illustrate an argument as if they're an argument in and of themselves.
    I don’t care about arguing for or against arguments I never made in the first place, no.

Significant. Just as much as any other spec they add in a new class.
    And how do we know if this isn’t being internally tested as we speak?

The description of "augmentation" itself, the meaning of the word itself.
    Which still doesn’t confirm that it is a support spec.

No, you didn't. Considering I have to repeat it to you twice and then repeat the context a third time it's clearly evident you did not. Again, Teriz: it's a simple question of "A" and "B" answers.
    I did. Like I said, you’re describing a blood dk. Blood DKs aren’t OP. Also NO ONE is arguing for a non-healer to heal as good as an actual heal spec.

And read the first line of the Adamant Vigil's description in your quote: "This weyrn shall be the eyes and ears of the black dragonflight and the legions of drathyr" That sounds a lot more like being sneaky like a rogue than it does being a front-line fighter like a tank. "Learn the weaknesses of our foes" also indicate that.
    Except we know it won’t be a Rogue or an assassin spec. More likely it simply means that they gather intelligence like a strategist or a tactician. That’s much like a tank in a raid knowing where to go, and what the bosses can do. Tanks must intimately know a bosses’ weakness in order for the raid to be successful.

It can also mean that they’re sentries or watchers who guard the Dragonflight against incoming threats. Sounds like tanking.

Except we know it won’t be a Rogue or an assassin spec. More likely it simply means that they gather intelligence like a strategist or a tactician. That’s much like a tank in a raid knowing where to go, and what the bosses can do. Tanks must intimately know a bosses’ weakness in order for the raid to be successful.

It can also mean that they’re sentries or watchers who guard the Dragonflight against incoming threats. Sounds like tanking.
    That’s stretching - even for you.

If it walks like support and talks like support, it’s probably support. This whole topic is bonkers, but taken in isolation, it really does sound like a support spec, whatever that entails in a modern MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    That’s stretching - even for you.

If it walks like support and talks like support, it’s probably support. This whole topic is bonkers, but taken in isolation, it really does sound like a support spec, whatever that entails in a modern MMO.
    How does it walk and talk like a support when no such role exists in WoW. The closest role to a commander that strengthens allies and weakens enemies are tanks.

Why couldn’t they be? Look at Ebon Might, a spell from Sarkereth that buffs the caster after the caster has stacked enough buffs on their allies. Such a buff could easily benefit the damage mitigation of the tank.
    Doesn't change what I said: this is still the tank actively performing a secondary role, to buff their group.

I don’t care about arguing for or against arguments I never made in the first place, no.
    This is about answering one singular question that is directly related to your arguments, because you imply that a spec that perform two roles with zero downsides "is just as balanced" as a class that performs only one singular role but isn't better at its role than the dual-role spec.

And how do we know if this isn’t being internally tested as we speak?
    Because we'd have caught wind about that by now. Because a new spec that performs a supporting role that can potentially fuck up the meta would need intensive testing on all the bosses, both in dungeons and raids.

Which still doesn’t confirm that it is a support spec.
    But it makes it the most likely option, by that description.

I did. Like I said, you’re describing a blood dk.
    Stop being obtuse. I've already explained to you, twice, that blood DKs aren't OP and don't match my description, because, again, for the fourth time, here is the question, with the important context that you keep ignoring:
    "Hypothetical question: which one of these two examples is more powerful than the other: a tank that can only tank, and have very weak self-heals; or a tank that not only can tank just as well as "pure tanks" but can also HEAL themselves as well as OTHERS JUST AS WELL AS AN ACTUAL HEALER SPEC CAN? Or do you think both are actually "very balanced together", or one of them has a clear advantage over the other?"
    Blood DKs can't even heal themselves "as well as an actual healer spec can", so stop playing obtuse.

Except we know it won’t be a Rogue or an assassin spec.
    Do we? Where does it say that? Again, the very description you posted makes Emberthal's weyrn look like they're Neltharion's spies.

More likely it simply means that they gather intelligence like a strategist or a tactician.
    Tacticians and strategists don't gather intelligence. Spies do. Tacticians and strategists analyze the gathered intelligence. What you're saying there is akin to saying the baker grinds the grain into flour, raises the chicken to harvest the eggs and raise cows to milk them.

No, it certainly doesn't sound like tanks. Sentries aren't tanks. Sentries are scouts.

How does it walk and talk like a support when no such role exists in WoW. The closest role to a commander that strengthens allies and weakens enemies are tanks.
    We’re in uncharted territory here. If you accept that we cannot rely on precedent, which you do implicitly by subscribing to the idea that a third spec is coming, you cannot fall back on precedent to eliminate other possibilities that would also violate precedent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't change what I said: this is still the tank actively performing a secondary role, to buff their group.
    Except buffing groups isn't a role, so how would a tank being able to enhance the power of their group be a detriment?

This is about answering one singular question that is directly related to your arguments, because you imply that a spec that perform two roles with zero downsides "is just as balanced" as a class that performs only one singular role but isn't better at its role than the dual-role spec.
    Again, "buffing" is not a role in WoW. The roles are Healing, Tanking, and DPS. Tanks buff parties all the time, so this would simply be an aspect of tanking that is enhanced for this class. No different than self healing being an aspect of tanking and DKs having an enhanced version of it.

Because we'd have caught wind about that by now. Because a new spec that performs a supporting role that can potentially fuck up the meta would need intensive testing on all the bosses, both in dungeons and raids.
    We have caught wind of it, via the quest and other evidence. Also don't worry, it is doubtful the 3rd spec will be support.

But it makes it the most likely option, by that description.
    Not even close.

Stop being obtuse. I've already explained to you, twice, that blood DKs aren't OP and don't match my description, because, again, for the fourth time, here is the question, with the important context that you keep ignoring:

Blood DKs can't even heal themselves "as well as an actual healer spec can", so stop playing obtuse.
    OKay, and once again, who was making this argument in this thread?

Do we? Where does it say that? Again, the very description you posted makes Emberthal's weyrn look like they're Neltharion's spies.
    Because Rogues aren't considered commanders. The Adamant Vigil was made up of Dracthyr commanders per its description. This fits considering we're dealing with a weryn that embodies the essence of Neltharion himself.

Tacticians and strategists don't gather intelligence. Spies do. Tacticians and strategists analyze the gathered intelligence. What you're saying there is akin to saying the baker grinds the grain into flour, raises the chicken to harvest the eggs and raise cows to milk them.
    This is semantics. Just because you're not doing the spying doesn't mean you're not gathering intelligence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    We’re in uncharted territory here. If you accept that we cannot rely on precedent, which you do implicitly by subscribing to the idea that a third spec is coming, you cannot fall back on precedent to eliminate other possibilities that would also violate precedent.
    I can confidently state that the new spec isn't going to be a support spec. It'll be one of the three existing WoW roles, and given that tanks are the most consistent and consequential role that offers buffs and debuffs to a group, Augmentation makes the most sense in that role than anything else. Augmenting other classes would actually take away from the DPS and Healing role.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-04-03 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Personally, I hope not. I do hope they get some more Black Dragon magic, but not a whole spec.

I can confidently state that the new spec isn't going to be a support spec. It'll be one of the three existing WoW roles, and given that tanks are the most consistent and consequential role that offers buffs and debuffs to a group, Augmentation makes the most sense in that role than anything else. Augmenting other classes would actually take away from the DPS and Healing role.
    Your past predictions being wildly off the mark don't prevent you from being confident based off of very little data again, do they?

WoW has many different kinds of commanders in the story, and few of them are tanks. I'd even say none of them but there's bound to be a couple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Your past predictions being wildly off the mark don't prevent you from being confident based off of very little data again, do they?

WoW has many different kinds of commanders in the story, and few of them are tanks. I'd even say none of them but there's bound to be a couple.
    A support role would completely upend WoW's raid structure, and require an unprecedented level of balancing. Most serious observers of this agree that this being a support spec is pretty close to zero. It's going to be a tank, DPS, or Healer. IMO, tank is the likeliest option, since buffing and debuffing doesn't hinder the tank's role.

Further, the new black dragon spell Ebon Might introduces a mechanic where buffing your allies can actually become a mitigation tool for a tank spec.

Except buffing groups isn't a role, so how would a tank being able to enhance the power of their group be a detriment?
    It is a role when it's the spec's job.

We have caught wind of it, via the quest and other evidence.
    And dataminers already said that's not what people claim it is.

Not even close.
    So close they're almost shoulder-to-shoulder. Again, the description says "empowers their allies", does it not? No other role is described as such.

OKay, and once again, who was making this argument in this thread?
    Once again: stop being obtuse. The fact you're asking this tells me you're not arguing in good faith:
    You literally take hypothetical examples used to illustrate an argument as if they're an argument in and of themselves.

Because Rogues aren't considered commanders.
    Mathias Shaw is the commander of the SI:7 and he's a rogue. And judging by the description, Emberthal's old group seemed to be akin to the SI:7: a group of spies.

This is semantics.
    This isn't semantics, Teriz. You're looking at an apple, calling it a bicycle, and calling it "semantics" when you're corrected on your misnomer. Strategists and tacticians do not gather intelligence. Spies do. Do you even know the meaning of the term "semantics"?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a role when it's the spec's job.
    And again, there's no role in WoW where buffing and debuffing is the spec's job.

And dataminers already said that's not what people claim it is.
    Dataminers who only have access to 10.1.

So close they're almost shoulder-to-shoulder. Again, the description says "empowers their allies", does it not? No other role is described as such.
    It says this;

And Emberthal, you will wield the essence of the Black Dragonflight to augment all those around you with my power.
    By my command, kneel and obey.
    And the weryn description;

Where our armies fly, it will be your guidance that directs their talons. Learn the weaknesses of our foes and amplify the strength of our allies.
    Only the most bold, most cunning, and most gifted commanders shall join the ranks of the Adamant Vigil. This weyrn shall be granted unprecedented authority to act on its own initiatives, and shall answer to only Scalecommander Emberthal and the Earth-Warder.
    Sounds like a tank to me.

Once again: stop being obtuse. The fact you're asking this tells me you're not arguing in good faith:
    Says the guy who is literally making up arguments that no one has made simply because they don't want to admit their true intentions in this thread.

Mathias Shaw is the commander of the SI:7 and he's a rogue. And judging by the description, Emberthal's old group seemed to be akin to the SI:7: a group of spies.
    See above. That would be incorrect. Also you'd have some ground if this spec were based on Shaw, however it's based on this character;

This isn't semantics, Teriz. You're looking at an apple, calling it a bicycle, and calling it "semantics" when you're corrected on your misnomer. Strategists and tacticians do not gather intelligence. Spies do. Do you even know the meaning of the term "semantics"?
    You're taking the phrase eyes and ears and ignoring every other aspect of the description and the background of the concept. Your argument here is laughable at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    A support role would completely upend WoW's raid structure, and require an unprecedented level of balancing. Most serious observers of this agree that this being a support spec is pretty close to zero. It's going to be a tank, DPS, or Healer. IMO, tank is the likeliest option, since buffing and debuffing doesn't hinder the tank's role.

Further, the new black dragon spell Ebon Might introduces a mechanic where buffing your allies can actually become a mitigation tool for a tank spec.

Sometimes I don’t think players hear themselves but ok. Let’s go back In time Teriz:

Shamans were support. Paladins were support. Shadow Priests were support. The reason why this changed is because it cluttered an otherwise complicated raid setting that was inaccessible and hard to understand. No one liked JUST being a totem dropper or a mana battery, it was never the intended class design from the ground up.

We got rid of “hybrid tax” to cement classes in their roles a little more concretely. Shamans got a totem overhaul, paladins got three clear specs and shadow priests are just damage dealers now. Now, most classes have tools outside their role to assist with single player content, or cute off healing. This doesn’t make Shamans or current day Paladins supportive. They are fully fleshed out classes with themes that align with damage or healing or tanking.

This is NOT mutually exclusive with saying a support class would “upend” the PVE ecosystem. Go look at any top log in FF14, go to Rift, or Guild Wars where actual support classes do less damage than their damage dealing raid members — it’s quite clear as day that if there’s a support class to be had, it’s gonna do less damage than a traditional damage dealer. That OK though, that’s a fantasy people are willing to engage with because despite the numerical balance that is for some reason escaping people’s logic, it’s not actually as hard to put a support in this game.

That said this is called a “boosting” spec. Let’s throw the word “support” out. Boosting could look like:

-I place a Lighting Shield esque ability on a tank that gives movement speed. That damage from the shield is mine, but the point from the ability was to help the tank move.

This is the only real “boosting” theme I can see, and is what I’m really more interested in dissecting. What is boosting and how do we use in game examples to inform us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
    Sometimes I don’t think players hear themselves but ok. Let’s go back In time Teriz:

Shamans were support. Paladins were support. Shadow Priests were support. The reason why this changed is because it cluttered an otherwise complicated raid setting that was inaccessible and hard to understand. No one liked JUST being a totem dropper or a mana battery, it was never the intended class design from the ground up.
    I was a Shaman main from Vanilla to BFA, I understand this completely.

This is NOT mutually exclusive with saying a support class would “upend” the PVE ecosystem. Go look at any top log in FF14, go to Rift, or Guild Wars where actual support classes do less damage than their damage dealing raid members — it’s quite clear as day that if there’s a support class to be had, it’s gonna do less damage than a traditional damage dealer. That OK though, that’s a fantasy people are willing to engage with because despite the numerical balance that is for some reason escaping people’s logic, it’s not actually as hard to put a support in this game.
    And this is where we disagree. I don't believe that a DPS spec would accept taking less damage to grant "support" to other players. This is why it being in a tank spec makes more sense, because damage is not the tank's primary responsibility, and buffs and debuffs can be handed out by the tank and not effect its overall performance. Further, the ability Ebon Might matches Neltharion's description almost to a "T" and it sounds like something a tank would utilize over a DPS or a Healer.

That said this is called a “boosting” spec. Let’s throw the word “support” out. Boosting could look like:

-I place a Lighting Shield esque ability on a tank that gives movement speed. That damage from the shield is mine, but the point from the ability was to help the tank move.
    The problem with that is that it seems far too gimmicky to be viable. What is the spec's purpose? To hand out abilities to various other classes and rack up the damage numbers from the back line? Unless that spec is bringing buffs that a raid can't live without (which violates bring the player not the class) or its grossly overpowered, it would be benched in favor of a true DPS. "Yeah, Augmentation is offering me that neat little buff that lets me run faster, but the Fire Mage is doing 5x the DPS, so we'll go with the mage!"

Further, as this spec moves from expansion to expansion, it's growth will only become more problematic as it has to continuously find a niche as other classes and specs evolve.

This is the only real “boosting” theme I can see, and is what I’m really more interested in dissecting. What is boosting and how do we use in game examples to inform us.
    Again, see Ebon Might. As I said, the only role that can get away with this and still function without a performance hit are tanks.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-04-03 at 05:18 PM.

the new spec is called Draque, they told me while having some rogue aspects, this spec would be in a sense a feral druid, with dragon lore related aspects to remain unique and distinctive

A support role would completely upend WoW's raid structure, and require an unprecedented level of balancing.
    Source: just trust me bro

Aside from that it's just you wanting to use big words to imply something you don't actually have any experience in. Do you balance WoW?

Most serious observers of this agree that this being a support spec is pretty close to zero. It's going to be a tank, DPS, or Healer. IMO, tank is the likeliest option, since buffing and debuffing doesn't hinder the tank's role.
    Most serious observers meaning people who agree with you? You are aware of what an echo chamber is?

It would not be unthinkable for Blizzard to want to go all out with the spec - if it's being added mid expansion and it turns out to be just another boring tank (the least popular role overall) a lot of people wouldn't bother resubbing for it.

That said, I'm not arrogant enough to claim I'm confident it'll be a new role, but I at least don't have several cases of being proven wrong after having been confident.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with that is that it seems far too gimmicky to be viable. What is the spec's purpose? To hand out abilities to various other classes and rack up the damage numbers from the back line? Unless that spec is bringing buffs that a raid can't live without (which violates bring the player not the class) or its grossly overpowered, it would be benched in favor of a true DPS. "Yeah, Augmentation is offering me that neat little buff that lets me run faster, but the Fire Mage is doing 5x the DPS, so we'll go with the mage!"

Further, as this spec moves from expansion to expansion, it's growth will only become more problematic as it has to continuously find a niche as other classes and specs evolve.
    Novel concept for you (apparently): it doesn't have to do less DPS. It can just be DPS that's applied differently (through buffs, but they count as your damage), and balanced by having fewer utility CDs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Source: just trust me bro

Aside from that it's just you wanting to use big words to imply something you don't actually have any experience in. Do you balance WoW?
    The source is called common sense.

In the simplest sense, a support role in the traditional style (aka the buff bot) is going to have to bring powerful buffs in order to be brought in place of a DPS or a heal. That immediately violates the "Bring the player not the class" mantra Blizzard has been using for years. Either the buff bot is bringing essential buffs so you only bring one to a raid or group, or they're worse than a standard DPS or heal and you don't bring them at all. Now, Blizzard could alleviate this problem by carving out a 4th role to the trinity and making support as essential as healing, tanking, and DPS, but again that is a fundamental change to the structure of WoW group design, and it is doubtful they would pull it mid-expansion.

If you try to tie this to anything outside of tanking, I simply have to ask "what's the point"? Again, unless they're bringing some unique buffs to the table that no other class can provide, why would you bring this spec over a dedicated DPS or Heal that brings similar buffs?

In reality, the only way this works is if its tied to tanking, or if Blizzard reintroduces the dual-role spec similar to old Feral druid.

Most serious observers meaning people who agree with you? You are aware of what an echo chamber is?
    People who understand how these roles work and why bringing in a support spec can upend the game unless you're prepared to fundamentally change how group content is played.

I don't think Blizzard is ready to do that mid-expansion. Further if they were to do it, it would be more than just the Evoker getting a new spec.

It would not be unthinkable for Blizzard to want to go all out with the spec - if it's being added mid expansion and it turns out to be just another boring tank (the least popular role overall) a lot of people wouldn't bother resubbing for it.
    Tank is by far the most requested 3rd spec for this class. While not many people tank in group content, a lot of people do solo and quest as tanks. Also tank fits the theme of the black dragonflight and black dragons better than any other role.

Novel concept for you (apparently): it doesn't have to do less DPS. It can just be DPS that's applied differently (through buffs, but they count as your damage), and balanced by having fewer utility CDs.
    It actually does, because if this spec is doing competitive DPS AND gaining DPS from other players who have this buff, then they're blowing damage meters. That means that its DPS has to be split between damage it does itself and the damage contributed from other players. So yeah, on its own its doing less DPS. Also does this buff have a limit? Like are you doing 3000+ DPS with 3 players, and 5000+ DPS with 5 players, and 10,000 DPS with 10 players? Further, what is the super awesome buff that this is giving to players? It has to be something that no other class brings to the table or you're better off just bringing the other class with the dedicated DPS.

Then to top THAT off, the dedicated DPS is doing equal damage that you're doing without having to leech off of other players without the buff (that they're probably also offering without having to work to distribute it).

In short, it's simply a mess.