Are they gonna get rid of this level scaling? Feels weird to get weaker as you level (sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Are they gonna get rid of this level scaling? Feels weird to get weaker as you level (sort of)
    They may tweak it, but it's unlikely to just be removed.

It's what lets you experience the story in any order you want. If there were fixed levels, you'd have to do it in a fixed order every time. That's worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    They may tweak it, but it's unlikely to just be removed.

It's what lets you experience the story in any order you want. If there were fixed levels, you'd have to do it in a fixed order every time. That's worse.
    Seems like the story would be able to be tighter and more cohesive if they could plan on you doing it in a certain way. Hardly seems worse

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    But you can close the gap.
    A barb playing with a rogue, sorcerer, or necro, probably won't get a whole lot of hits in unless they run ahead.
    It's core design, if it's a melee character, give them more baseline speed because closing the gap is part of the class feature.
    when you are resource tapped whereas a necro and sorc can spam their hearts out and melt things 4-5x faster than you (which gets worse with gear), that's a problem with resource generation.

It's fine for them to play differently and have different niches, and it's fine for leveling to be different from endgame, but with the way barb and druid played in beta, the fundamental class design will turn a lot of people off, where they won't get to 100 and get the "true endgame" experience where they may or may not shine.
    Ranged always has it easier to get mobs, thats the way it works in ARPGs and diablo as a game, you cant just say give them more speed as that can cause issues later, leveling is not how you determine how balanced a class is, ppl will play what they like regardless of a spec not being as fast as another, the real gameplay is max level and it will be adjusted around that and not around low level activities, season pass may give other passive boosts to make chars faster for leveling or other account buffs may help you level alts.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you on about, as i leveled my char i never once felt weaker, plus you are supposed to remain a similar strength throughout to the content or the game would just get far too easy, scaling content keeps most mobs relevant.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Seems like the story would be able to be tighter and more cohesive if they could plan on you doing it in a certain way. Hardly seems worse
    I don't know what you mean by "tight and more cohesive", exactly. The story will never be tuned towards challenge. This is aimed at more casual gamers. It'll always be a joke.

I don't know why people are bothered about level scaling, it limits the game so much at max level if the mobs in the starting area are say lvl 10 with lvl 10 loot, you would never go their again after out levelling the area. with scaling the area will remain viable at max level.

I didn't like the UI and noticed it straight away as not being great when I logged in the first weekend, then didn't give it much though after that while playing, same the second weekend, while I hope they do improve it for PC its not a game breaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

The story is relevant once.

The scaling will be relevant for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I don't know why people are bothered about level scaling, it limits the game so much at max level if the mobs in the starting area are say lvl 10 with lvl 10 loot, you would never go their again after out levelling the area. with scaling the area will remain viable at max level.
    Level scaling is OK, power scaling is not.
    Do we know if it's only level scaling in D4 ? Or if we might get some of the power scaling shit that exists in other games (in the outside world I mean) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Do we know if it's only level scaling in D4 ? Or if we might get some of the power scaling shit that exists in other games (in the outside world I mean) ?
    What distinction are you trying to make here?

Level only matters for scaling in terms of experience, and insofar as power is a function of level.

What distinction are you trying to make here?

Level only matters for scaling in terms of experience, and insofar as power is a function of level.
    Well I'm a bit worried about max-level scaling. Either outworld mobs are scaled to your level (max) and that's it until the end of time, or they'll be scaled with your power, i.e. continuing to be stronger as you get stronger (which I find to be extremely frustrating). Afaik they did something like that in WoW some time ago.

Well I'm a bit worried about max-level scaling. Either outworld mobs are scaled to your level (max) and that's it until the end of time, or they'll be scaled with your power, i.e. continuing to be stronger as you get stronger (which I find to be extremely frustrating). Afaik they did something like that in WoW some time ago.
    We have no idea how max level works and if it has scaling. Endgame content tends to have its own mechanics for scaling, like the nightmare sigils, new world tiers, and so on.

Let's stick to what we KNOW exists, i.e. scaling during leveling, rather than speculating about something that may well not even exist at endgame.

The fact there are multiple world tiers, should be a clear indication that it doesn't scale to power. It'll work like d3, eventually stuff get's easy and you pump up the world tier difficulty to match and better drops to get even more powerful.

We have no idea how max level works and if it has scaling. Endgame content tends to have its own mechanics for scaling, like the nightmare sigils, new world tiers, and so on.

Let's stick to what we KNOW exists, i.e. scaling during leveling, rather than speculating about something that may well not even exist at endgame.
    That's absolutely why I was asking whether we knew something about that. I didn't follow tightly all development notes/updates, but some things seems to be known already, hence why my question. I'm not sure where you saw "speculation" in the question I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    What are you on about, as i leveled my char i never once felt weaker, plus you are supposed to remain a similar strength throughout to the content or the game would just get far too easy, scaling content keeps most mobs relevant.
    Omlord. Well congratulations on being in the minority who doesn't notice how scaling made you weaker. Good on your lack of observance.

The entire game is relevant by turning the difficulty up or ya know doing end game content. Hitting a diablo/mephisto level mob in the same spot the game begins is sillly...at best

I expect so with the harder difficulties, which offer better rewards.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Omlord. Well congratulations on being in the minority who doesn't notice how scaling made you weaker. Good on your lack of observance.

The entire game is relevant by turning the difficulty up or ya know doing end game content. Hitting a diablo/mephisto level mob in the same spot the game begins is sillly...at best
    I was able to kill all mobs just as fast, while leveling you are not supposed to get clearly stronger, the mobs should remain the same difficulty all the way through leveling. Thats how the game works, you are not supposed to be OP while leveling, your supposed to be able to manage the same throughout leveling.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    I don;t know if there's power scaling in D4 or not, but from observing how my characters (both Barb and Necro) started going through the outside world mobs like butter once I stopped leveling at 25 and increased in gear power, I'm going to assume that if there is any power scaling it is very minimal and only there to prevent you one shotting everything in your path once you are max level and getting geared.

WoW has a system like that where mobs scale with you in level but also slightly scale with you in power (but at a lower rate than you as a player do) to keep things at least interesting (and importantly also to prevent you from killing everything in sight so quickly without letting anyone else get a hit in). Not sure how important the latter is given D4s way of handing out loot if you are close to a kill.

I honestly prefer a bit of power scaling to keep the world interesting to be in. There's no fun in being out in the world and traveling to dungeons and collecting stuff and doing random nonsense if the world stops posing any kind of threat to you. It doesn;t need to be the same struggle as at the start, but enough to keep the world fun and a little dangerous.

We have the M+ esque system to keep Dungeons interesting at end game, but there's no modifiers on the outdoor world. Having that world be a non-factor would make for a less fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I didn't hate the Druid but felt it to be lackluster.
    I don't disagree with some aspects of the Druid feeling lackluster but other aspects felt pretty good, they definitely need to do something about the early game casting because it is very weak overall. The shapeshifting skills though I found were pretty decent for the werewolf and the werebear.

I am just more hopeful that when their class system is introduced it is going to unlock a ton of power and more options for customization.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you're into the world tier 3 you're going to notice that the entire world is a lot harder in all zones. That is why I believe they did it the way they did, this is also why I consider it an MMO lite .

They had to put a video for endgame because you people over analysis and criticize everything even before trying it fully

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofbelbol View Post
    They had to put a video for endgame because you people over analysis and criticize everything even before trying it fully
    People been told by the influencers what to think. This ripples in the community. When people actually want to form thier own opinion, it's a gets really bad. Like really, really bad.