15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Mechanics dont change how a game is played
    What? Mechanics are the only thing that changes how a game is played. Game A and Game B with the same mechanics will play the same. Game A and Game B with different mechanics will not play the same.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    That is one HUGE assumption - "if the game makes money, it will get more content". You have nothing at all to support that claim, and it's the core of your entire argument.
    Its not an assumption the D4 devs have stated that they are going to add new story content and new gameplay features as the seasons progress, you are the one that has nothing to support your claims.

If a company wants to make money they need to add content to keep ppl playing, no point in making a live service diablo game if you wont take advantage of the potential to make money for many years.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2023-05-30 at 10:37 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

15+ Year Old Account
    That is one HUGE assumption - "if the game makes money, it will get more content". You have nothing at all to support that claim, and it's the core of your entire argument.
    The business model for Diablo 4 is known. If it makes money it will continue to see development according to their stated model. Things can always change of course but it is silly to say there is nothing to support the claim that Diablo 4 will see continued development. Seasons every 3 months and expansions have all be talked about.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    What? Mechanics are the only thing that changes how a game is played. Game A and Game B with the same mechanics will play the same. Game A and Game B with different mechanics will not play the same.
    Every gameplay mechanic in PoE has not changed how the game is played, the game plays the same regardless of what season you compare it to.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

When your income model relies on money generated over time (aka selling a new battle pass every few months) you need something that entices people to come back for the 5th time.
    That basically requires new content.

You can do a battle pass system without new content but then after the first 2 orso people simply stop buying them and your income vanishes.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Every gameplay mechanic in PoE has not changed how the game is played, the game plays the same regardless of what season you compare it to.
    So the developers added things to the game that do nothing at all? I found that hard to believe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Factician View Post
    Wudijo was banned for cheating once and lied about it. He makes his entire living off of playing Diablo, do you actually think he's going to tell the truth here?
    Yes I do take what he says to be true, his account is in good standing with Blizzard or he wouldn't have been allowed into Alpha or endgame testing. His many rank 1's and the work he does on Maxroll over the years points to him being a reliable source of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

84.40GB now downloading...

When diablo 3 was releasing every single outlet and content creator at the time claimed it was the best game they ever played, ground break, game of a decade etc. Truth is, it was fun for two weeks, then they nerfed the difficulty and the game population dropped by 95% in a month. I put 0 stock in all the outlets and "gamers" that wanna lick blizzard knobs waiting for the moment when its finally fine to do it publicly again. I wanna see the game being played and shown by people not covered in red tape. Stop being baited by the cover squad. You lose nothing by waiting, its a fake sense of urgency, all the cosemics given for prelaunching are gona be obsolete and replaced in a matter of weeks, like every other preprder bonus in your past that you never use. Just fucking wait.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    84.40GB now downloading...
    If you uncheck High-Resolution Assets its half that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Can't wait to play it tomorrow
    How are you playing it tomorrow when early access isn't until the 2nd?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

How are you playing it tomorrow when early access isn't until the 2nd?
    Its 4PM PST on the 1st globally, the 2nd is just Europe time. But yeah tomorrow is not the 1st yet, its 47h30 left

Quote Originally Posted by danki1337 View Post
    if demand is high price go up, hense justifies 60euro game releases because ppl are buying into the hype.
    People are stupid and/or easily fooled with meaningless shinies. What else is new?

It doesnt need to add new maps just for launch its launch content alone is larger than PoEs launch content was at its official release, thats all that matters, it took a few seasons in PoE before they actually added in something actually new that wasnt just new enemies and affixes which dont actually change the way you play you still are just blowing mobs up like any other ARPG.
    This is a big sentence.

I am not sure why you are stuck on POE as a point of comparison for the quantity of D4 content at launch.

POE was mentioned as it did add content at release that had not existed prior. All discretely. None of which D4, as far as I am aware, is doing. The logical conclusion being- where are people assuming this novelty exists?

i question the nature of what Rhykker was deeming content. He made a big statement (which I assume you are defending now for whatever reason) that had no quantifiable measure or definition.

Rhykker's claim seems dubious at best. I don't know if D4 has more content than any other game in the genre. Maybe it does. But how did this guy, and now you, count this up for such a claim?

You're just saying, "Trust me it does, fact"

Which, honestly, is meaningless.

The rest of your sentence is illogical and flat out wrong. And that is objectively so.

Games operate because they are programed to do x/y/z depending on various interactions points.

Those points of interaction must be reflected as code, the operation of which is commonly referred to as "mechanics". When I press this button, the PC swings this object and if the object interacts with this other object, this result is reflected by a/b/c parameters. Yadda, yadda

Gameplay, the rules of operation.

This absolutely affects how you play the game. They are the only thing that affects how you play the game. Literally, a game can not be played otherwise.

If I created a league in POE where a monster pursed players that spent more than 2 minutes in an area, that would change gameplay.

There is a nightmare dungeon in D4 with a similar mechanic supposedly. A stone pillar pursues players (I am told) and zaps you if you're not moving fast enough.

Both these things are mechanics. Is it content in one and not the other game?

One person might view the nightmare dungeon (which is just a normal dungeon with added modifers) as wholly new content. Another person might say, "it's just affixes and monsters" and count it as singular piece of content.

Which is even assuming your opinion, which is what you are providing, is agreed as the defacto definition of content.

I don't have any belief in the truth of Rhykker's statement at all. Poor definition and dubious claim.

Mechanics dont change how a game is played, an ARPG is still an ARPG you are still just killing enemies for loot, adding in delving didnt change how the game is played it still plays the same as the first season you just have other choices.
    This argument is faulty.

Firstly, you seem to be describing the game experience, called, expression.

Second, mechanics are the operation of the game and you are confusing this qith modality. Which is an option to play under some set of circumstances the developer defines- such as Ironman, delve or arena pvp.

These are not all the same things.

A game can have gameplay, game modes and content additions and not change its expression.

Content is simply what and how you are able play in a game. If you mock up a Design Document Template, you'd have to literally fill these things out for the team members to work on. That is literally content.

Like that's how you keep your job(s) at a game developer. It's not any other way. I am not lying to you brother- you can take a class, read a book or go to GDC and see & learn how these work.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-05-31 at 12:21 AM.

No - it's far from bad. It might turn out to be the best in the franchise.

Diablo IV is ranked in the 99th percentile of games scored on OpenCritic:

https://opencritic.com/game/14353/diablo-iv/reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Yes I do take what he says to be true, his account is in good standing with Blizzard or he wouldn't have been allowed into Alpha or endgame testing. His many rank 1's and the work he does on Maxroll over the years points to him being a reliable source of information.
    Means absolutely nothing. He lied for a long time about being a legitimate player and was caught cheating and then partially admitted to it. It's believed he lied about why he banned (claimed it was only for turbohud).

If you want to trust a known liar and cheater, that's on you.

It doesnt need to add new maps just for launch its launch content alone is larger than PoEs launch content was at its official release, thats all that matters, it took a few seasons in PoE before they actually added in something actually new that wasnt just new enemies and affixes which dont actually change the way you play you still are just blowing mobs up like any other ARPG.

Mechanics dont change how a game is played, an ARPG is still an ARPG you are still just killing enemies for loot, adding in delving didnt change how the game is played it still plays the same as the first season you just have other choices.
    D4 isn't competing with Poe at launch, it's competing with Poe now. The idea that we have to compare games as they were at launch is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    D4 isn't competing with Poe at launch, it's competing with Poe now. The idea that we have to compare games as they were at launch is nonsensical.
    Pretty much this, this would be like saying D4 only needs to compete with D1... You cant release a game thats not up to par with where the genre is, period. D4 could be, we wont know until we actually see people that arent money invested in it.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2023-05-31 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it really even competing with PoE? Diablo IV is looking to expand beyond it's current fanbase.
    PoE always felt like "by hardcore fans for hardcore fans". Umm neat.
    Government Affiliated Snark

15+ Year Old Account
    Path of Exile is a 20 year old game. It is silly to to expect any newly launched game to have 20 years worth of development. So you compare there launch states and then compare the content being added.